The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Blackula

I really don't care for points at all. Though I would like to know why they are there if they don't matter, for informational reasons. What do they contribute to, why isn't the ranking based off of the promoting bar alone, since the points mean nothing?

Ok, so what is losing too many times, 1 match, 2, 15? By me quoting Mike when he said, "Seriously I beat a bunch of "Barbarians" and stuff like that in Ranked just mashing with Pai. It's ridiculous." My main point was that, those guys were probably bums; I come across high ranks that are like that, often. So because you don't get demoted every time you lose a match, and it takes a collective of matches before that happens. Then theoretically let's say, if one was to smash 18 players out of 30 everyday for 2 months. Then that person wouldn't get demoted and if anything they would slowly rank up, no? Then you add in the factor of them losing/winning to people at least 2 ranks above or below them, because that's how their going to get somewhere. Now you began to have false prophets in your ranking system.

If I am wrong with any of that, please correct me.

I know this.

The VF5 series has been a little bit more lenient in ranking up than the previous ranking system from the VF4 series which was a lot more strict. Before, you could ONLY get ranked from same ranked opponents when you reached the Dans and above. There was also a set number of wins or losses you needed in order to get ranked. Here are links to the VF4 and VF4 EVO ranking lists and requirements.

http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4_ranking_faq.html

http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_ranking_faq.html

Losing too many times in the VF5 series is weird. I'm not sure what the set number is (if there is a set number) as it was black and white in the past. Because now in VF5, you no longer have to fight just same ranked opponents to get ranked but you can fight opponents above and below you to get ranked. And even within the VF5 series, the ranking system changed. Before, Dans could be demoted but in VF5FS, Dans cannot be demoted. Pretty much, going through Kyus and Dans is pretty much automatic hence why you'll find so many Hunters out there. Just know that you earn or lose most of your bar when you lose against people of same rank followed by people 1 rank away, and etc.

TRI Mike

No, wait. I actually don't care for the points or rank at all either. I just play Ranked because Player Match and Room are always empty on both consoles (which is really sad). So I can only find people in Ranked, the game now has much less players than in the initial two weeks after release. I'm very worried about it.

I care for winning the match and do good in it, if a player can be beaten by just PPP2King then I just don't enjoy the game. But ironically, when I try to do reversals, backdashing to whiff punish, throws, sabakis, sidestepping and all the other shit Aoi has, they just don't work as I intend them to. At the same time I see the "easy" characters just land one string after another without having to think much. At least that's what it looks like to me. I switched to Pai again and did good with her again and I refuse to main one of those fighters because I prefer the complicated ones like Aoi and Eileen.

UnD34D

No, wait. I actually don't care for the points or rank at all either. I just play Ranked because Player Match and Room are always empty on both consoles (which is really sad). So I can only find people in Ranked, the game now has much less players than in the initial two weeks after release. I'm very worried about it.

I care for winning the match and do good in it, if a player can be beaten by just PPP2King then I just don't enjoy the game. But ironically, when I try to do reversals, backdashing to whiff punish, throws, sabakis, sidestepping and all the other shit Aoi has, they just don't work as I intend them to. At the same time I see the "easy" characters just land one string after another without having to think much. At least that's what it looks like to me. I switched to Pai again and did good with her again and I refuse to main one of those fighters because I prefer the complicated ones like Aoi and Eileen.

Are you actually good at the game? Do you have prior fighting game experience? Because starting a game with a complicated character is a good way to make you want to drop the game...

TRI Mike

No, I'm not good with it. I know what I'm doing and I have both Aoi's and Eileen's moveset memorized and know when to use one thing and when to use the next. I just don't have the lightning-fast reflexes needed for some things and besides, I play online because no one in my country plays the game.

Yes, I have prior FG experience, with DOA since Hardcore, before that with SC1, Tekken 3 and even UMK3 and Killer Instinct. I wouldn't want to drop the game because the FGC in my country is too small right now and I've always preferred to go online with a game I like rather than do the impossible task of finding possible offline players.

UnD34D

No, I'm not good with it. I know what I'm doing and I have both Aoi's and Eileen's moveset memorized and know when to use one thing and when to use the next. I just don't have the lightning-fast reflexes needed for some things and besides, I play online because no one in my country plays the game.

Yes, I have prior FG experience, with DOA since Hardcore, before that with SC1, Tekken 3 and even UMK3 and Killer Instinct. I wouldn't want to drop the game because the FGC in my country is too small right now and I've always preferred to go online with a game I like rather than do the impossible task of finding possible offline players.

I'm just saying, you're already choosing to play one of the most difficult fighting games there is, and then you're trying to learn it with one of the more difficult characters. There's no real life trophy you get for that shit, my advice is pick up the game with an easier character, ala Jean, Jacky, Vanessa, someone a bit more straight-forward, and once you've got the game mechanics down, not just memorizing move lists, actually have the game mechanics down and you're decent at the game, then pick a harder character. No one will think less of you, it doesn't make you a pussy, its the smart thing to do. Also, Eileen isn't a complicated character, she just sucks.

Game Over

Personally, I'd suggest you find a middle ground between playing online and finding offline players. That is to find "good" online players to practice with. Since it's apparent that you WANT to learn this game and get better at it, and it bores you to fight random scrubs (for lack of a better term) online, what you should do is lookup all the players on this site who play the game regularly or semi-regularly, add them to your friends list, go to VFDC (the main forum for VF) and do the same thing there, and go to SRK and do the same thing there. Then, aim to play people on your friends list exclusively. Not only will you get better matches this way, you'll also be able to get constant feedback on your play on the various forums, since you will be playing people from those forums.

This is probably the best thing you can do until building an offline scene becomes an easier task.

TRI Mike

Yeah, that's a great idea. Sometimes I see ranked match players trying to win with stupid tactics only because of the points and that pisses me off. In fact, the best matches I've had in the game are with Allan Paris, Mr Moon, Gill Hustle, Sypha and the other dudes I've played from here. I've lurked a bit into VFDC but I think it's about time I created an account.

I refuse to abandon Aoi. It's the character I like the most.

EDIT: Can anyone help me with Aoi's punishing¿

FakeSypha

Yeah, that's a great idea. Sometimes I see ranked match players trying to win with stupid tactics only because of the points and that pisses me off. In fact, the best matches I've had in the game are with Allan Paris, Mr Moon, Gill Hustle, Sypha and the other dudes I've played from here. I've lurked a bit into VFDC but I think it's about time I created an account.
I know that feel, Mike. I dropped ranked matches on the 2nd week after the launch. By no means I consider myself good at it, in fact it's the first VF I dedicate myself to play and I just try to be somewhat decent. Just that. However, when going ranked I saw too many dudes literally mashing like brainless zombies, or spamming the same string over and over no matter if they had results from it or not. I can't learn a game if I play with people who don't try to "outsmart" the other player with the actual gameplay mechanics the game offer. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it will sound like I'm just whining, but I think there is no learning involved by playing like that.
Sorry about the generalization. I know there are people who really know what they're doing and play quite good. I even faced some guys from VFDC on ranked, and most of them kicked my ass senseless. Specially one who used Vanessa. We had a few mirror matches, and realized a few things by playing him.

TRI Mike

Choose Lei Fei and randomly press buttons. You win in a blink of an eye...

That's definitely not the way for me to play a FG, much less a FG I like as much as VF5FS. I chose Aoi precisely because she has many, many tools but at the same time does not require hard-ass inputs like Akira.

I know that feel, Mike. I dropped ranked matches on the 2nd week after the launch. By no means I consider myself good at it, in fact it's the first VF I dedicate myself to play and I just try to be somewhat decent. Just that. However, when going ranked I saw too many dudes literally mashing like brainless zombies, or spamming the same string over and over no matter if they had results from it or not. I can't learn a game if I play with people who don't try to "outsmart" the other player with the actual gameplay mechanics the game offer. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it will sound like I'm just whining, but I think there is no learning involved by playing like that.
Sorry about the generalization. I know there are people who really know what they're doing and play quite good. I even faced some guys from VFDC on ranked, and most of them kicked my ass senseless. Specially one who used Vanessa. We had a few mirror matches, and realized a few things by playing him.

I kinda feel the same, especially with kyus and dans. The post-Hunter players generally offer good matches and sometimes they're very hard to beat. Still, I'd like the game to have more players in unranked matches, I just feel like people try to play better when points and ranks aren't at stake.

Allan Paris

The VF5 series has been a little bit more lenient in ranking up than the previous ranking system from the VF4 series which was a lot more strict. Before, you could ONLY get ranked from same ranked opponents when you reached the Dans and above. There was also a set number of wins or losses you needed in order to get ranked. Here are links to the VF4 and VF4 EVO ranking lists and requirements.

http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4_ranking_faq.html

http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_ranking_faq.html

Losing too many times in the VF5 series is weird. I'm not sure what the set number is (if there is a set number) as it was black and white in the past. Because now in VF5, you no longer have to fight just same ranked opponents to get ranked but you can fight opponents above and below you to get ranked. And even within the VF5 series, the ranking system changed. Before, Dans could be demoted but in VF5FS, Dans cannot be demoted. Pretty much, going through Kyus and Dans is pretty much automatic hence why you'll find so many Hunters out there. Just know that you earn or lose most of your bar when you lose against people of same rank followed by people 1 rank away, and etc.

Thanks for this. I am about to read up on this now.

N0rdicNinja

Just lol at Wolf's first "combo" easiest %50 I've ever seen! XD It requires the 1 frame version to work, but still that's not that difficult.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD