The Role Playing Game Thread

Chapstick

I just noticed DA:I GOTY is actually $16 if you have PS+. That is a damn steal if any of you don't have it and are interested check that out

Jadeinchains

We really need a general RPG thread, for WRPGs as well as JRPGs. So far we only had dedicated threads for the Final Fantasy series, the Pokemon series and one for the The Witcher. (That thread will probably die soon now after the end of the series has come. :()
In the already mentioned threads we often digress to one of the many other RPG series or stand-alone RPG games. Let's have that conversation in here. :)

To kick off this thread, let me post some of the RPGs that are about to grace our consoles and PCs in the coming year and maybe everyone can tell us, what RPGs they are looking forward too the most.

Horizon: Zero Dawn:

Ni No Kuni 2:

Mass Effect Andromeda:

Tales of Berseria:

Persona 5:

I'm looking forward to Horizon: Zero Dawn and Ni no Kuni 2 the most. H:ZD might finally step into The Witcher 3's big foot steps but it's looking even more gorgeous and awe-inspiring. Ni no Kuni 3 will hopefully quench my thirst for whimsical and magical JRPGs. I'm also a huge Studio Ghibli fan, so this one is a must.

Almost missed this thread! Yeah this seems like a good idea because I was thinking that to that the thread was going off topic talking about the tales series so we can talk about general stuff here, I'm pretty limited in my knowledge of jrpg's still just now but I definitely have to get into other series popular and not. I don't know where I'd start though lol not to mention If I went and played games from previous generations. Some series I'd be interested would be -

Tales Of
Ni No Kuni ( I heard good things about it and I love it's art style )
Persona ( Not as much as others but I am interested )
Xenoblade
Star Ocean

Also I remember years ago getting I think the dark cloud on a demo for PS2.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Dragon Quest XI will be on Jump Festa 2016.

Square Enix revealed this list and info:

Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Scanner (Arcade) – Corner, Trailer, Stage
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 Professional (3DS) – Corner, Trailer
Dragon Quest X Online (Wii U, Wii, Windows) – Stage
Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time (PS4, 3DS) – STage
Final Fantasy XV (PS4, XBO) – Playable, Trailer
Hoshi no Dragon Quest (iOS, Android) – Stage
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (PS4) – Trailer
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue (PS4) – Trailer
NieR: Automata (PS4) – Trailer
SaGa: Scarlet Grace (PS Vita) – Trailer

There'll be a DQXI event on December 17:

14:00 – Dragon Quest XI Jump Festa 2017 Special Stage (YouTube, Niconico) – Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time is the latest entry in the Dragon Quest series. Approximately one year after its announcement, new details will finally arrive! This special stage will be delivered by Yuji Horii, who is in charge of the game and scenario direction. Featuring Yuji Horii (game designer), Yosuke Saito (producer), Takeshi Uchikawa (director), Saito V-san (of V-Jump), and Ayana Tsubaki (MC).

I never was a big Dragon Quest fan (I hate that typical trumpet music theme. XD)...but XI looks imo sooo good:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I love DQ, I'll always remember the DS version of Chapters of the Chosen as my favorite entry, that final boss Psaro the Manslayer was epic and very difficult to beat. And you had to fight four other OP bosses before him to break the barriers to the dungeon his lair was located at, and that dungeon was notoriously difficult, it took me days to finally memorize the rooms and locations by heart just so I could even reach him. Maya and Kiryl were my favorite characters next to the hero of course

Jadeinchains

I've never played Dragon Quest but I've heard that its up there with FF and Tales of as like the three trio of Jrpgs.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I've never played Dragon Quest but I've heard that its up there with FF and Tales of as like the three trio of Jrpgs.

Eh...scratch Tales (as much as I like/liked it) and that statement is true. ;) Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were regarded as the two greatest and most successful JRPG series. Those times are long gone now though...

By the way, FFXV's Metacritic score (82) dropped below that of FFXIII (83). :(
Is FFXIII ultimately the better game? Discuss! XD

Jadeinchains

Eh...scratch Tales (as much as I like/liked it) and that statement is true. ;) Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were regarded as the two greatest and most successful JRPG series. Those times are long gone now though...

I'd have thought it would have a higher score than that, and lol you know me and Chapstick liked XIII anyway so that doesn't mean a horrible thing.

Its a shame if tales has sort of reduced in popularity but at least there's FF and Dragon Quest.

DedUp

I had just started playing the Dragon Quest/Warrior games recently. A couple of days ago I finished the NES version of Dragon Warrior II. So far the first two games were fun but can be grindy as hell.

I'm probably going to take a break from the series for now and check my backlog of western rpgs. Maybe I'll go back and finish Icewind Dale II. I've played through most of the other Infinity Engine games and finished them but somehow that game doesn't hold my attention like the other ones did.

Chapstick

That's what you get for always bashing XIII lol

Scores might be higher if they didn't jump the gun announcing it 8 years too early leaving people with thoughts like "this is what I waited 10 years for?" even if it is a good game. After that long wait (and the massive marketing campaign where they tried to make it seem like the 2nd coming of jesus) people expected a flawless end product

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Dragon Quest XI info and gameplay was revealed on Jump Festa:

The opening of the game:

Gameplay:

Kamiu introduction:

The world map:

DQ11-JF17-Stage_Map.jpg

The two first introduced characters:

The protagonist:
A young man who lives in the calm village of Ishi. He was brought up soundly by the people of the warm village. The curtain opens on his adventure on the day he turns 16.

DQ11-JF17-Stage_Charas_001.jpg

Kamiu:
A reliable partner. He is a blue-haired thief that the protagonist encounters on his journey. Although there is a rude side to his behavior and speech, he possesses a strong sense of duty and a warm heart. As a partner used to the ways of the world, he supports and guides the novice protagonist. Kamiu's quote: "I believe in it—the miracle of the hero."

DQ11-JF17-Stage_Charas_002.jpg

The game will release 2017 on PS4, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch.

It looks all very charming...though I have to say Toriyama's art style isn't really my cup of tea and the oompah music of the series is also something of an acquired taste. I'm still pretty exited... It looks like it is the next JRPG that I will want to play in any case. :)
It isn't open world...but the map looks still pretty promising and interesting to explore.

Last edited:

Macca Beam

I actively dislike Toriyama art. The dome eyes will never not look terrible to me.
also camew looks like a Kingdom Hearts dropout

Anyway, friendly reminder that you can get Lost Odyssey for free until the end of the month

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I actually like the artstyle, it gives the game a cute, anime type look which Iover while also looking stylish

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
That's what you get for always bashing XIII lol

Scores might be higher if they didn't jump the gun announcing it 8 years too early leaving people with thoughts like "this is what I waited 10 years for?" even if it is a good game. After that long wait (and the massive marketing campaign where they tried to make it seem like the 2nd coming of jesus) people expected a flawless end product

But it is better than XIII. FFXV fixed numerous issues that FFXIII never fixed and that's not even the raw aspects.

The score is merely a review score of how everthing is executed from their own view, sometimes even biased articles can be indoctrinated to further solidify their own reasons as to why, it does not define a hard result of the actual product from start to finish.

I actually like the artstyle, it gives the game a cute, anime type look which Iover while also looking stylish
I actively dislike Toriyama art. The dome eyes will never not look terrible to me.
also camew looks like a Kingdom Hearts dropout

Anyway, friendly reminder that you can get Lost Odyssey for free until the end of the month

DBZ is Toriyama's best work. Not anymore anyways. Super looks rather dull.

Jadeinchains

I was gonna say it has that same look as DBZ! I have to say though I really don't like the way it looks, The artstyle is just to 90's anime looking etc with the way they look.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
New Nier: Automata footage :)

Trailer:

Gameplay:

We talked about it in the graphics thread, but imo the game looks actually really good in motion. Solid 60fps in a partly open world game with huge environments and enemies is very impressive.
I don't think I will ever buy it though. I don't like these dark, post apocaliptic settings in games. They make me depressed. :(

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD