The Role Playing Game Thread

UpSideDownGRUNT

I was on the fence about that game but it sounds like it's pretty cool. Unfortunately I can't download the demo as I'm at my parents house this month for the holidays and their internet download is pretty limited. I'll probably get the first Nier before I play Automata anyways since I never played it and have a hard time playing sequels without playing their predecessor.

In other news, after finishing the first 2 NES Dragon Warrior games I was going to take a break from the series. I couldn't decide what else I wanted to play so I just went ahead and started Dragon Warrior III. In addition to the hero, my party consists of a fighter (the game's martial artist class), a pilgrim (healer), and a wizard. So far it seems pretty solid. Its nice to start the game off with your party unlike the second game where I spent a good amount of time at the start looking for the rest of the group.
Just play Automata by itself.

Automata is set several thousand years after the original Nier's several endings and on top of that Nier itself is set several thousand years after one of the endings to the original Drakenguard

UpSideDownGRUNT

As if anyone needs convincing after that demo lol anyone who likes character action games and jrpgs are probably gonna buy it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
A little bit of Dragon Quest XI development footage was shown on Japanese TV:

Apart from the style, which is an acquired taste, the PS4 version looks so good. Great animations and environments. Those waterfalls. O:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Let's play a game! :D How would your perfect RPG look like?
Lemme start:

Graphics/art style: Final Fantasy XV. Realistic and detailed but with that stylish touch of anime.

Setting: High fantasy/medieval like Final Fantasy IX. I want it really gorgeous and fairy tale-like.

Gameworld: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii). A large number of beautiful, varied, big regions, which you explore one by one with the unfolding story and which you can later come back to for end- and postgame stuff.

Story: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii). A long, winded, emotional and epic story with strong, relatable characters and ultimately a happy end. (I hate sad endings, they ruin replayability for me.)

Combat system: Tales of games, real time and action based. I want to be able to play as all characters in my party.

Quest system: The Witcher 3, interesting and engaging. No simple monster hunts or fetch quests. Side quests should bring to life the game world and lore that is not told in the main story.

Customizing: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii), hundreds of weapons and armor parts that you can wear in awesome looking sets or as a crazy patchwork.

Playthrough length: 60 hours for the story, 200+ hours for all the content.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Let's play a game! :D How would your perfect RPG look like?
Lemme start:

Graphics/art style: Final Fantasy XV

Setting: High fantasy/medieval like Final Fantasy IX

Gameworld: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii). A large number of beautiful, varied, big regions, which you explore one by one with the unfolding story and which you can later come back to for end- and postgame stuff.

Story: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii). A long, winded, emotional and epic story with strong, relatable characters and ultimately a happy end. (I hate sad endings, they ruin replayability for me.)

Combat system: Tales of games

Quest system: The Witcher 3

Customizing: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

Playthrough length: 60 hours for the story, 200+ hours for all the content.
Sounds fun! Here's mine:

☆Graphics/artstyle: Either Final Fantasy XV or Dissidia Final Fantasy arcade...Dragon Quest Heroes was a close possibility since I love cute anime graphics

☆Setting: Either somewhat modern day like FF15 or in more traditional times like Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the chosen or Dragon Quest: heroes

☆Gameworld: One kind of like Dragon Quest's staple locales, I love the cities because of the charming homely atmosphere and varied citizens and I love the dungeons and temples/misc. story areas that demand equipment preparation before hand as well as being at a recommended level before you even think of venturing forth, I like a challenge.

☆Story: I like a multitude of story types like Tales of symphonia, Dragon Quest, etc. Happy endings are good but I also love stories that have you crying towards the end XD

☆Combat: turn based like Dragon Quest, I prefer planning attacks carefully and watching the action unfold as monsters and the main characters interact and trade blows but I prefer to see it as well unlike the DS versions of DQ that show the monster sprites but not the main cast.

☆Quest: N/A. It doesn't really matter to me, although I prefer side quests to be managed otherwise I'll get overwhelmed.

☆Customizing: Like DQ when equipping items and FFXV when choosing outfits

☆Playthrough length: Preferably 60-80 hours for the main story and about 400+ or even more than that for other content including side quests and side stories.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'll bite.. I'm kinda bored anyway.

Graphics/art style: probably KH 0.2 Birth By Sleep or Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Setting: Modern Day Japan, including school and hanging out with friends/party menbers(ala Persona 3+)

Gameworld: Persona 5s Shibuya or Akihabara like in Akiba's Trip/Akiba's Beat

Story: Persona is most fitting, story develops day by day and as you complete dungeons.

Combat system: Heavy action like NieR Automata.

Quest system: The Witcher 3, interesting and engaging. No simple monster hunts or fetch quests. Side quests should bring to life the game world and lore that is not told in the main story. (kept same because that was cool but also like to add Personas Social Links for very similar and exclusive reasons)

Customizing: Lightning Returns hands down, fully customisable weapon/spell arrangements, accessories and full colour wheel for costumes. DLC costumes cuz I'm a sucker.

Playthrough length: Anywhere between 70 - 100 hours for everything.

I like long JRPGs but too long takes me away from other games.

Chapstick

Graphics: DA:I at 60fps. Realistic but stylized enough to not fall into uncanny valley people

Setting: I have no real preference here but a fantasy version of Renaissance Italy (AC2 with less accuracy I guess) with a wide variety of city and nature locations would be cool

Gameworld: I'm not too sure how this differs from setting so..DA:I

Story: Something epic and emotional like FFX with a lot of comic relief sprinkled in. Story truly changes depending on your decisions adding to replayability, lots of dialogue options. Many romance options with depth that have their own scenes across the span of the story and postgame content and everyone's bi without race (orc elf dwarf human) preferences

Combat system: Four party members.. I guess action-based would probably work over turn based with everything else I said here

Quest system: TW3 for the same reasons everyone else said

Customization: Ability to create your own character from a number of different races and choose your battle role further adding to replayability. Wide variety of armor you can craft to be as strong as any other armor so you don't have to choose higher armor numbers over aesthetic, wide variety of weapons. Ability to go somewhere to change your face and body type at any point in case you aren't happy with them

Playthrough: 60 hours main story, 150+ with side and post-game content

So...basically DA:I with a few small tweaks. *starts a new DA:I character*

Jadeinchains

God lol I'm not really sure where I'd start, I wouldn't say this is my "perfect" rpg but It is what I'd consider certain cool things. I guess I'll be taking ideas from the rpg's I've played.

Graphics/art style: I'd have to say something similar to FFXV or the Elder Scrolls Skyrim with a realistic look.

Setting: I really enjoyed how FFXV was an interesting mix between modern day real world and fantasy clashing. Though I'd also like something completely different like full on futuristic cyberpunk which is why I'm excited for the creators of witcher next game.

Gameworld: I'd definitely want an openworld and one that's very seamless with creatures that fit well into it and with interesting locations that are expansive. Elder scrolls does a good job of this with it's large worlds that have such a great lore that's been built up for decades and crosses multiple provinces and centuries.

Story: Hmm I'd say something that develops day by day like grunt said since you can see the characters growing day by day, Though I wouldn't mind If it was darker or had characters dying just so long as the game didn't end on a completely closed off way that stops possible future installments since I always like the fact that the world will continue on.

Combat system:
Something between the elder scrolls, witcher, final fantasy xv I'd like since I like to be free to go where I want to while playing and not feel restricted.

Quest system:
Yet again something like elder scrolls which is very similar to FFXV and the witcher where you cn have the quests all active at the same time and go to the side quests in lot of orders.

Customizing: Something like the elder scrolls where you can find, steal etc pretty much any outfit that's in the game and wear it so that there is a lot of different outfit options, The more options I'd say the better personally.

Playthrough length: I think the basic by now is the 60hrs for story and 100/200 for side content though It really depends on the individual for If It actually takes that time... I'm prone to doing it in a shorter time than that.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
You know...this game Tyaren made got me thinking about making a thread with a similar module in mind:cool: Stay tuned!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Setting: I have no real preference here but a fantasy version of Renaissance Italy (AC2 with less accuracy I guess) with a wide variety of city and nature locations would be cool

*cough* *cough*

You know...this game Tyaren made got me thinking about making a thread with a similar module in mind:cool: Stay tuned!

Oh dear... >__> Just don't get yourself banned, lol.

Nikotsumi

For some reason I haven't got notification from this thread for 2~ pages lol.

Graphics/art style: Definitely Final Fantasy XV.

Setting: Modern setting, like the recent FFs and Tales of Xillia 2 (From a visual standpoint I liked Elympios' areas more than Rieze Maxia's).

Gameworld: Multiple huge open areas that look a lot different from each other. If I had to chose one between size and variation, I'd definitely pick variation. I wouldn't mind some corridor dungeons (e.g caves) as long as their design is good.
Cities/town have to be big enough to get yourself lost, they have to offer lots of stuff to do/mini games, and have a correct amout of accessible buildings. I hate it when I can't enter buildings.

Story: Something like FFX, the story has to get you emotionally attached to both the world and its characters.
I like happy endings and I absolutely hate when characters die during the story or after completing it (enough of those already!) as it saddens me when I go back playing with those characters again, knowing that they're actually dead.

Combat system: Tales series hands down. I really liked the one in Xillia 2, though the one in Berseria seems amazing too from the demo, I think I'm gonna like like the latter more.

Quest system: No boring fetch quests, I like the ones that adds stuff to the world and characters, so since everybody is saying The Witcher 3, I'd choose this one too. Though I wouldn't say to completely delete fetch quests, just keep a "correct" amout of them xD

Customizing: Lightning Returns.

Playthrough length: I think I'm fine with 50 hours for the main story and 100~150 hours for everything.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh dear... >__> Just don't get yourself banned, lol.
Oh trust me I learned my lesson after that preferred breast jiggle thread I made two years ago and it was locked although other threads like that off the rails LGBT/raunchy sex antics thread and Hitomi is weak thread remained up. XD I'm very careful of what thread types I make now and all it took was me getting humiliated even after it was locked.

Jadeinchains

For some reason I haven't got notification from this thread for 2~ pages lol.

Lol! XD That happens to me way to often and It's so annoying.

I'm liking peoples ideas as well, Also lol Kasumi I'll be interested to see what thread you come up with.

Oh trust me I learned my lesson after that preferred breast jiggle thread I made two years ago and it was locked although other threads like that off the rails LGBT/raunchy sex antics thread and Hitomi is weak thread remained up. XD I'm very careful of what thread types I make now and all it took was me getting humiliated even after it was locked.

The Lgbt thread... like a beautiful mess, It went from 0 to 100 so quickly, I loved every minute of it though since It was so just... bad lol.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Thanks for the posts everyone. :)

I also had that in mind but didn't mention it because I wasn't as familiar with it as AC2.

Hey, how about you actually start with Blood and Wine? There is a function to start that expansion with fitting level and equipment. Maybe this will ease you better into the game? Blood and Wine is more story focused and as I probably have told you numerous times, the region of Toussaint will enchant you. Much more than the maybe a bit drab first regions of the base game.
But the rest of the Witcher might be a let down afterwards... Though the expansion Hearts of Stone trumps everything in the base game and Blood and Wine in the story department. So you would still have something to look forward to if you did Blood and Wine first.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Lol! XD That happens to me way to often and It's so annoying.

I'm liking peoples ideas as well, Also lol Kasumi I'll be interested to see what thread you come up with.

The Lgbt thread... like a beautiful mess, It went from 0 to 100 so quickly, I loved every minute of it though since It was so just... bad lol.
Trust me, I kik Brad on a day to day basis, he's always 0 to 100 like that and it cracks me up XD His avatars on Kik too, talk about explicit 0_o

But yeah I'll make the thread probably tonight if I have time after my bath, it's similar to Tyaren's game.

Chapstick

"The FSD "find your kink" thread ^__^"

*still makes jokes about the casual thread years after its death to preserve its memory*
Hey, how about you actually start with Blood and Wine? There is a function to start that expansion with fitting level and equipment. Maybe this will ease you better into the game? Blood and Wine is more story focused and as I probably have told you numerous times, the region of Toussaint will enchant you. Much more than the maybe a bit drab first regions of the base game.
But the rest of the Witcher might be a let down afterwards... Though the expansion Hearts of Stone trumps everything in the base game and Blood and Wine in the story department. So you would still have something to look forward to if you did Blood and Wine first.
I thought of doing that but then I'd have to do B&W all over again when I decided to do a full playthrough. I mean I guess that wouldn't matter if it's really good

Tyaren

Standard Donor
"The FSD "find your kink" thread ^__^"

*still makes jokes about the casual thread years after its death to preserve its memory*

I thought of doing that but then I'd have to do B&W all over again when I decided to do a full playthrough. I mean I guess that wouldn't matter if it's really good

It's good. ;) Even just as an expansion it actually was present in many GOTY awards. You also don't have to do it again if you don't want to. Wild Hunt, Hearts of Stone and Blood of Wine are basically all separate games. You can play them in succession, as intended, but you could also leave one out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD