The Role Playing Game Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
3981533-6503022817-39686.gif

It looks really cool...like an interactive anime. Still I'm not really sold on the Persona series. I'd rather not do turn based. :/
She's the cat girl with pigtails, or at least that's what I was told, if he was wrong than looks like I'll have to look it up I guess. I love turn based and this will be my first Persona I can actually play for myself

Juihau

3981533-6503022817-39686.gif

It looks really cool...like an interactive anime. Still I'm not really sold on the Persona series. I'd rather not do turn based. :/
For what it's worth, as someone who very much dislikes not being able to move my characters in RPGs, Persona 4's battles weren't too bad. I definitely preferred the non-combat portions, which were more than plentiful, but I wouldn't really say combat was a slog or anything.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Atlus, the maker of the Persona series is making a new Fantasy RPG IP, Live stream planned for December 23rd, two days before Christmas:
http://personacentral.com/atlus-beg...antasy-rpg-live-stream-announced-december-23/

View attachment 22257
Awesome​

Oooh...I love that art style already! :D

No another note:
Falcom's Sen no Kiseki III is confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive (no Vita version this time), some new screenshots were also revealed:

C0GELFHVIAEstdv.jpg

C0GELEWUoAAE3nv.jpg

C0GELEVVQAAMShs.jpg

006.jpg

C0GELEXUsAAEl1g.jpg

Yep, this looks cool. :) I'm glad Japan is finally making proper use of the console. All the poorly looking Vita and PS3 cross gen titles really annoyed me.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Ill be excited to play it in like 2-3 years when it gets localised then lol

Speaking of Sen no Kiseki I still need to pick up the first two now that they're both out in english.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oooh...I love that art style already! :D

No another note:
Falcom's Sen no Kiseki III is confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive (no Vita version this time), some new screenshots were also revealed:

C0GELFHVIAEstdv.jpg

C0GELEWUoAAE3nv.jpg

C0GELEVVQAAMShs.jpg

006.jpg

C0GELEXUsAAEl1g.jpg

Yep, this looks cool. :) I'm glad Japan is finally making proper use of the console. All the poorly looking Vita and PS3 cross gen titles really annoyed me.
Omg....those graphics look really cute, give me! Sorry, artstyles like those I have an affinity for

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Did anyone beside me play The Last Story? :)

It was a Wii game and came in tandem with Xenoblade Chronicles to the West. Xenoblade Chronicles definitely was the greater success (and the better game) but The Last Story was a special JRPG too. It was made by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and the OST came from Final Fantasy legend Nobuo Uematsu.
Many called The Last Story the true Final Fantasy XIII when that game turned out to be such a great disappointement to many.

Here's a trailer of the game:

The game was actually fairly linear...but it had a for that time very big and busy hub town, Lazulis, which you could explore and which connected to the many dungeons:

The main story was pretty good and captivating, not as convoluted as usual with JRPGs and shorter than most JRPGs. There were lots of side quests though and some were actually pretty cool and lengthy. Like investigating a haunted mansion or explore an enchanted island.
The battle system was something special. It was real time action combat mixed with strategy elements. It was a bit tricky and it took some time to learn it but it was super addicting once you got the hang of it. Graphics and music were also great. Especially the art design was amazing... I even bought the Limited Edition back then with a mini artbook:

product.product-image-264833-600x0-q85.jpg

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I heard of it long ago when I was in middle school but could never get around to playing it. The art style and story I remember intrigued me and made me want to play it

Tyaren

Standard Donor
A little reminder that the Nier: Automata Demo is out in all regions later today. :)

pZTtzGG.gif

Haven't checked or downloaded it myself yet because I don't know if it's even really "free" in Germany. Here, for some reason, you often have to have PS+ to download a demo. I never tried out Resident Evil 7 for that reason. :/

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Gravity Rush 2 got a demo today too, not sure that counts as an rpg though never played the games before

Didn't see that demo anywhere in German PSN. :/
The Nier Demo is of course only for Plus members here. *sigh* I'm downloading it from Japanese PSN now, there seem to be language settings, even in German. :)

UpSideDownGRUNT

Didn't see that demo anywhere in German PSN. :/
The Nier Demo is of course only for Plus members here. *sigh* I'm downloading it from Japanese PSN now, there seem to be language settings, even in German. :)
Because it's not out yet, 6pm GMT.

Its not ps+ here lol German PSN is getting greedy

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Because it's not out yet, 6pm GMT.

Its not ps+ here lol German PSN is getting greedy

It's not about greed but more about age restriction.

Edit:
Got the demo from Japanese PSN and it even comfortably started in German, didn't even have to change any settings first. :D
The demo is not very RPG-ish, more like an action game/shooter. It was fun though... But I'm probably not gonna buy this when it comes out.

Bonus:

CalmCommonCygnet.gif

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Some more infos and material of Dragon Quest XI was released in Weekly Jump magazine:

30965928004_9907601214_o.jpg

The game’s protagonist – aged 16 and about to begin his adventure on that birthday – has an oddly shaped birthmark on his left hand. According to the magazine, something happens when it glows bright.

Emma, the blonde female on the first page here, is a close friend of the protagonist who agrees to undergo the ritual of climbing the “Divine Rock” with him. What is it they see there?

30996974593_df64235566_o.jpg

The second page features the Great Tree of Life, which floats in the center of the world. It’s said the hero can speak with the soul of the Great Tree. Here you can also see the protagonist’s home village of Ishi. It’s a small, quiet town situated in the valley.

The magazine also details some of the differences between the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo 3DS versions of the game. The PS4 version showcases both party members and classic series monsters in full graphic quality. The 3DS version shows both the party and monsters in 3D mode and the monsters separately in 2D mode.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/...-characters-platform-differences-weekly-jump/

Alone that beautiful old school world map makes want that game so bad. Even though the art style isn't my cup of tea and even though it is going to be a turn based JRPG. But that beautiful, varied and detailed world... =Q=

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Okay, this is kinda cool, especially the Playstation pod and the reversible cover art. :)

CyxkfwRUsAUQA7P.jpg

Has anyone beside me played the demo? Any thoughts? :) Please don't let this turn into the next Tyaren is holding a monologue thread. :(

Jadeinchains

I'm downloading the demo right now so I'll post my thoughts afterwards, its the first Nier or a Drakengard game I'll have played so hopefully I like it.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Okay, this is kinda cool, especially the Playstation pod and the reversible cover art. :)

CyxkfwRUsAUQA7P.jpg

Has anyone beside me played the demo? Any thoughts? :) Please don't let this turn into the next Tyaren is holding a monologue thread. :(
As a Platinum Games fan I played it to try it out.

I was not disappointed, Metal Gear Rising meets Bayonetta meets Zone of the Enders!!

Strong attack string cancels and evade cancels are probably the best thing about the combat in Nier Automata

Jadeinchains

Okay I finished it a little while ago and I really enjoyed it, it really does feel like Bayonetta not to mention it looks really good as well, I liked the main character's outfit to even if there's constant pantie shots lol!

It took me a while to get the controls with the locking on and firing and such but it was fun, I played on Normal.

DedUp

I was on the fence about that game but it sounds like it's pretty cool. Unfortunately I can't download the demo as I'm at my parents house this month for the holidays and their internet download is pretty limited. I'll probably get the first Nier before I play Automata anyways since I never played it and have a hard time playing sequels without playing their predecessor.

In other news, after finishing the first 2 NES Dragon Warrior games I was going to take a break from the series. I couldn't decide what else I wanted to play so I just went ahead and started Dragon Warrior III. In addition to the hero, my party consists of a fighter (the game's martial artist class), a pilgrim (healer), and a wizard. So far it seems pretty solid. Its nice to start the game off with your party unlike the second game where I spent a good amount of time at the start looking for the rest of the group.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD