The Witcher Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Aww! :) Appreciation is a great thing. XD Yes, I will make some cool screens especially for you!

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So here's what I think so far of the world of Blood and Wine (and also some pics especially for @ShinobiGuy), no worries, there will be no spoilers. I'm not that far in the expansion anyway, just sightseeing mainly. ;)

OMG, the new region, Toussaint, is probably the most beautiful game world that I have ever seen. O: It's so magical, lush and colorful. The detail also is fantastic. They definitely ramped it up from the main game. The city Beauclair with it's castle...you just can't compare it with Novigrad or Oxenfurt in the base game. These were already well designed and pretty detailed, but the attention to detail in Toussaint is on another level. CD Projekt Red must have thought: This is our last Witcher project, why not go f****** (they'd probably use swear words) mental with this world and make it as f****** gorgeous and magical as possible, so that no other fantasy RPG will be likely to match us for many, many years.
It's basically how I always imagined the older European fantasy inspired Final Fantasies would look and feel like today. You heard me gushing a lot about Altissia (the Venice-inspired city) in FFXV over in the FF thread. I'm pretty sure (and it makes me a little sad actually) that Beauclair already blew whatever is coming in FFXV out of the water. In contrast to the Witcher cities the FFXV cities feel (at least in everything that we've seen so far) lifeless, sterile and like more of a stage set, if that makes any sense. :/
Alright, here some pics of the lovely Toussaint:

27305022411_5153723956_h.jpg

27342557416_6363d4015f_h.jpg

27099998520_ba436f2157_h.jpg

27342567826_e75cbd2bd8_h.jpg

27305911301_07e8f21a11_h.jpg

26769838343_6d952efb31_h.jpg

The technical side of this world is also done really well. Even on consoles it looks pretty good. (And this is coming from me, someone who is very critical in that regard.) Remember when you sometimes would look into the far off distance in the Witcher 3 base game (when that was possible due to all the trees and bushes everywhere) and you would see ugly, low resoultion cut-out trees that also weren't properly lit, so you would quickly turn your gaze away or resist taking a photo? There is no such thing in Toussaint. You are supposed to let your view wander into the distance to some far off mountain or castle on a hill top. The consoles are still limited in what they can do regarding LOD and here and there are still some blurry textures, but it's worked around and optimized pretty good. Without directly comparing the screens to the videos and bullshots that we've seen prior to release, I don't really notice much of a drop in quality. To me it looks just as good. The framerate too is not better or worse than in the base game. Which means it is not always perfectly smooth 30 fps but it is very bearable. ;)

@Jadeinchains, we've talked a bit about it while simultanously playing the expansion but what do think of Toussaint? Any pics to share? :)

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

I've not got many pictures yet but I'm absolutely loving not only the story but also the country of Touissant so far, I'll not give anything away though.

Now that I've truly seen it for my self it really is as beautiful as it looks in the PC screenshots. I've been mostly sight seeing as well since there's so much to the map, it's really larger than I expected. I'd definitely say Bleaclair is more appealing than Novigrad and Oxenfurt though they serve different purposes for the world. Touissant is amazing to me and honestly I don't think I want to go back to the North now, And I'd agree with the comparisons to Final Fantasy because the bar is set now for what I expect from FFXV. :)

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So for the heads up:

Good news /

1 - They increased the level cap so you can gain more levels. (I'm level 82 and there is room for more)
2 - There is a new mutation system in play to gain more strong abilities at the cost of temporary ability points and mutages. My character is like overpowered right now and won't die even from hilarious shit.
3 - New gear and weapons obviously.

Normal news /

1 - XP Glitch is still there so you can abuse it. (Surprised since they did mention of fixing this, guess they can't lmao)
2 - Money glitch still in there. (They wanted to remove the beehive but they didn't, guess they didn't have a care for it either lol.)
3 - There is less lag when shifting within the inventory menu.

Bad news /

1 - There is a mission where you are training for the tourney, do not select the one with the horse training using the crossbow and checkpoints. You will be stuck there. Loading it from there will not work either.

2 - I was hoping we can increase your vineyard and expand it a bit more, but you are limited in upgrades. I upgraded the house twice along with the side accessories and the open field for herbs..though I was hoping you can increase the land, make the place like a big mansion, have a big elemental golem as a pet etc etc. (I am willing to seek more information on this however, so let me know if there are more ways I can increase this, but after skipping days with mediate and upgrading, it seems there is no more upgrades.) Before anyone asks, yes I talked to B.B multiple times and skipped days to further increase the upgrade speed.

ShinobiGuy

Thanks @Tyaren :) Man that place looks awesome. Really colorful. Almost seems weird for Geralt to be there. But I can see myself settling down in a nice vineyard, cheering to retirement while enjoying the view.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Almost seems weird for Geralt to be there.

Geralt is definitely out of place in Toussaint and that was exactly the point of this expansion. It's really entertaining to have a tough cookie like Geralt in a country where everything is love, peace and harmony...at least on the surface. Deep under the surface it's pretty f***** up. >.> That's why only he can save them.

Here's some more impressions of the lovely side though:

27304533172_e6a9c23293_h.jpg

27368977706_592aed3c3d_h.jpg

27369068856_4073434381_h.jpg

27402777385_06ff8e4f1e_h.jpg

27304689202_7ed42cd92e_h.jpg

Behold my badass master crafted, dyed in black Wolf Armor:

27402822355_cafea749c8_o.png

This took a lot of time and money to get together... >__<

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Finished the DLC, I enjoyed it. I was going to write some stuff about it but I'll wait it out to avoid putting out the spoilers.

DontForkWitMe

Still in white orchard on my ng+ playthrough can't wait to make it to the new dlc region.

some pics of the PC version maxed out

26796760014_f546025deb_o.jpg

27128905330_719c6fd0bd_o.jpg

26796571984_e1f7a6cff4_o.jpg

26796581324_841e66f490_o.jpg

27333398071_c31ed9180d_o.jpg

And one more of the best bae...triss ain't got shit on yen
26797883573_3cb696dd70_o.jpg

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Still in white orchard on my ng+ playthrough can't wait to make it to the new dlc region.

some pics of the PC version maxed out

26796760014_f546025deb_o.jpg

27128905330_719c6fd0bd_o.jpg

26796571984_e1f7a6cff4_o.jpg

26796581324_841e66f490_o.jpg

27333398071_c31ed9180d_o.jpg

And one more of the best bae...triss ain't got shit on yen
26797883573_3cb696dd70_o.jpg

This is the wolf gear right? there's a grandmaster version to it on the new DLC which is the one I got. Think you might like that one too.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol, I am obsessed with the castle! XD Whenever I spot it (and you can spot it from most places in world) I have to marvel at it and take multiple pictures too. Here are some of them:

26816852393_f5b2b37f34_h.jpg

27389727876_de236ccf60_h.jpg

27147738060_231374d930_h.jpg

27147787890_120071972e_h.jpg

27325356632_c69b725d56_h.jpg

27424051255_666b50c75e_h.jpg

I'm probably so obsessed because it reminds me so much of my most favorite building in the world...Castle Neuschwanstein:

91YHgER-73L._SL1500_.jpg

winter-im-koenigswinkel-schloss-neuschwanstein-b4ce4c83-0c73-4148-a9a9-350543bc7f59.jpg

Jadeinchains

Same I absolutely love the palace and always use it as the main landmark In Touissant. It really is easy to see it from its place on the hill and right behind it is that gigantic mountain!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Graphics comparison of PC (ultra settings) and PS4:

Shows how well CD Project Red optimized the console version. Apart from the higher resolution and framerate on PC the differences aren't very big. Sometimes you really have to look very closely to even spot a difference.
If CDPR can tickle out these graphics of an open world game with more or less solid 30fps and a crystal clear image quality on PS4, so should problem child FFXV, which still runs sub 30fps and with an inadequate image quality. :(

Last edited:

ShinobiGuy

Got home last night and managed to walk around a bit in the new region. It's really beautiful! I am so sad there won't be bi annual releases like this. I would get every one of them. Gonna take my time exploring and doing missions.

Castle Neuschwanstein looks amazing. I have to go there soon. Quickly checked some day passes and it's very reasonable. Looks like a next vacation spot. But in summer or winter, hmmm...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Guess who has also finished the expansion yesterday? :) I got the best possible ending on the first try...still it was bitter sweet since this is very likely the last we've seen of The Witcher for a long time or even ever. .__. Lol, I'm glad I wasn't a fan before The Witcher 3. I would have cried myself to sleep yesterday. XD To me, and the two expansion even reinforced that, The Witcher 3 is the best Western RPG ever made. The world building, it's characters, the way quests play out and how greatly your choices, sometimes seemingly small, actually affect the world in sometimes big ways. Props to SD Projekt Red! :)

Got home last night and managed to walk around a bit in the new region. It's really beautiful! I am so sad there won't be bi annual releases like this. I would get every one of them.

I agree. :( In a perfect world CD Projekt Red would expand The Witcher 3 with more of these expansions. two times a year might be a bit two often since expansions this polished (most of all if there is a completely new world to explore like in Toussaint) do take some time. But one expansion each year for a 10-15 hour tale might be possible. It also doesn't always have to play out in a completely new region. The way Hearts of Stone slightly added to and enhanced Velen and Novigrad was also great.

Castle Neuschwanstein looks amazing. I have to go there soon. Quickly checked some day passes and it's very reasonable. Looks like a next vacation spot. But in summer or winter, hmmm...

Even though it looks this magical in winter, I would advise you to rather go in the summer. In winter the journey into the Alps and up the mountain to the castle might turn out to be a bit problematic if there's heavy snow fall or ice.

Neuschwanstein.jpg

Looks still awesome in summer. :)

By the way, where are you from again? Seems as if the castle isn't too far away from you?

ShinobiGuy

By the way, where are you from again? Seems as if the castle isn't too far away from you?

Norway, so just 2 hours to Munich and from what I found you can do a day trip to the Castle from there. Never been to a proper Castle before so I am actually looking into going for a weekend with the wife. We get a lot of snow here too, so that won't stop us :) But will research it a bit, thanks for the tip.

Edit: Yeah, wife's in. We're going this year definitively :)

Guess who has also finished the expansion yesterday?

Don't want to fall in this trap, don't really have any other games I'm playing atm (though could replay Uncharted 4) and not too long from now I will have a week to myself so trying to save this abit for then. Just my luck that when I get into RPG's it's with a game that is finished. I am hoping to jump on the FFXV bandwagon though.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Norway, so just 2 hours to Munich and from what I found you can do a day trip to the Castle from there. Never been to a proper Castle before so I am actually looking into going for a weekend with the wife. We get a lot of snow here too, so that won't stop us :) But will research it a bit, thanks for the tip.

Edit: Yeah, wife's in. We're going this year definitively :)

That's great. Have fun and send me a postcard! XD

Woah, someone got all Grandmaster armors...

sansretourvalley3bbyu.png

1o5nh4i.gif

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD