Characters Thoughts on the ninjas?

Davey2100

While i know the ninjas aren't as godly as they were in previous games, but they do excel at mind games.

Say if Gen fu and Ryu are having a close battle, both are very evenly matched. But when it comes near the end, Ryu has the ability to just totally change his gameplay style and play the range game and use ninpo and other such tools to attempt to trick the opponent and grab the win. gen fu is probably the better character but Ryu has the advantage of putting Gen fu into a guessing game.

All the ninjas have this ability to back off and force the opponent into some mind games, of course it doesn't always pay off for the ninjas as the guessing can back fire, but the options are definitely on their side.

while they don't have the stats to make them top, surely the ability to back off and use tricks to put the opponent on the defensive and in a guessing game counts for something, seeing as it is a massive part of how doa is played?

just somethin i've been thinkin about, i'm no ninja expert so go ahead and discuss.

David Gregg

Their moves may look more flashy but (except for maybe Ryu) I don't see the ninjas being any more "tricky" than other characters with just as many tools. Play against a good Brad and you'll see just how many tricks are up his sleeve. lol

Davey2100

D
Their moves may look more flashy but (except for maybe Ryu) I don't see the ninjas being any more "tricky" than other characters with just as many tools. Play against a good Brad and you'll see just how many tricks are up his sleeve. lol

well, hayate for example can do his cartwheel kick which leaves the opponent in a guess between if he will go for the low or not, and if he gets the low then he can pretty much go wherever. then he has that jumping three punch combo which he can greatly delay.

Ayane has a lot of tricky options she can use from range to make you guess, but she is a distance based ninja so guess it makes sense but still stands that can can easily just go repetitive mode and keep putting the opponent in a guess doing the same few moves. (her rolling leg grab in doa4 was brutal when it was a OH)

Kasumi's probably the only one without many tricks nowadays, or maybe she does and they just aren't as brain dead? not really used her much in 5 and every kasumi just likes to do the same few pokes.

Brads trickyness is fine cause you do have to really learn him a lot to use his tricks well.

How many other characters can back off and resort to such cheese tactics?

Xernuht

Screw Ninja's. Shrine Maidens are the new cool.
And ninja shrine maidens bring out the best of both worlds.

I noticed this as well. Ryu and Ayane definitely have the option to switch between taking stabs out of close range and getting in your face, and Hayate has some options. Kasumi can kinda do it, but she excels at string pressure, so she can't always do it. Momiji's a tricky case. She has range, but little damage out of it aside from 66PP, which is now universally throw-punishable. Up close, she doesn't have excellent pressure. All she has is some moderate safety and solid damage. Nothing I'd call gimmicky.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
To answer the topic question:

Ryu Hayabusa: An all-around badass voiced by the same guy who provided the voice of Captain Ginyu and Phoenix Ikki. As of DOA5U, is a lot harder to play and should only be used by true badasses.

Ayane: A now-legal kunoichi who could easily be mistakened for Lilith from the Darkstalkers series if she didn't have a bandanna and a well-endowed upper body. Much like Hayabusa, is difficult to play and should only be used by true badasses. Also has a double identity as Nami from One Piece.

Kasumi: Spanning across three different games in three separate incarnations (one as Kasumi Todoh from KOF and another as a water Pokemon trainer), this Kasumi reincarnated as the sister of the heir to leadership of the Mugen Tenshin Tenjinmon sect. Like the other ninjas, she too is hard to play. Rumor has it she once traveled through time and motivated Sango to keep looking for her brother...

Hayate: The heir to the Mugen Tenshin Tenjinmon sect, karate master, and former Gundam pilot. A man of many talents and possibly the closest friend of Ryu Hayabusa. A bit slower than the other ninjas, but still powerful in the right hands.

Momiji: Once known as Hotaru Tomoe, aka Sailor Saturn, the Harbinger of Destruction, she reincarnated as a relative of the Hayabusa clan, and Ryu Hayabusa's cousin no less, which is only fitting for such a badass status. Having a natural preference of the naginata (which is similar to the use of the Silence Glaive), she decides to hone her skills in unarmed combat to further expand her skills to be on par with Sailor Jupiter and Uranus once she's reincarnated as Sailor Saturn. Her style is unorthodox, yet effective in the right hands.

Yes, as bizarre and fucked up as this sounds, these are my exact thoughts.

Aspect

Ryu - will Izuna you for days ie Master and is really fun to watch
Kasumi - lot of pressure and mixup with her flashy signature sakura petal teleports, is apologetic about every win
Ayane - the spinning, jumping, and flipping ninja and prob has the most win poses in this entire game
Hayate - no comment, has cool costumes tho...
Momiji - any launch goes into the air game and her throws are quite fast imo, will yawn at how boring the fight is

Argentus

Hate hate hate hate hate Ninjas.

Putting aside their Ken Syndrome where they seem to be the only characters people pick, they just have waaaayy too much advantage.

Their sheer speed means they will always beat out most of the cast at everything.
They seem to recover from stun faster than the hit that put them in stun.
All of their moves put them into a dodge stance meaning its really hard to counterhit them.
Extremely superior mobility to almost the entire cast.
Totally bullshit unreadable spammable tracking unblockable teleports (Ryu)
Virtually every jab leads to a 5 or more second long juggle.
They can just throw out a billion jabs through lag.

They are just waaaayyy too fast, with too high mobility, andvmost things word on them due to their stances. Combine thisbwith being sick of fighting just them all time, and again, I really hate Ninjas.

FatalxInnocence

Ayane kinda bothers me, solely cause I have no idea where she's going half the time. But Kasumi is pretty simple to vs for the most part. Block long enough she's bound to throw out a punishable move. I was amazed at how unsafe she is in this game. Most Kasumi players will throw out a 6P, 3P, 4P as an initial hit so just mid punch counter.

I don't have much match experience against Hayate or Ryu, so I tend to lose pretty badly to them.

But yes! other characters bother me more than the ninjas..... *cough BRAD cough CHRISTIE cough*

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
My thoughts on the ninjas? If you don't like them, you're in the wrong game.

Oh, how do I enjoy knocking them out though. The expression, the disbelief as they wallow on the floor. It's intoxicating.

CFW

I like all the ninjas except Hayabusa.

I'm even warming up to Ayane a little bit.

Darkton93

Don't mind the ninjas gameplay wise. Just plot wise really bugs me. Dimensions had cutscenes that clearly lead up to battles from DOA2 and DOA3, but only had Ninja players. What?

And, I recall someone posted that everyone picks them? Are you a PS3 user? I think we all have the answer, then. Of course, if it's Xbox, then it's probably just 'cause of Team Ninja's brainwashing. Teenagers are really easily swayed.

Brute

Standard Donor
Ryu has the advantage of putting Gen fu into a guessing game.
Did you just seriously suggest that Ryu has a more dangerous guessing-game meta-set-up than Gen Fu? I really hope I read that wrong.

Ninjas tend to be more mobile than a lot of other characters, and they tend to have good string mix-ups (except Ryu, and the argument could be made Momiji). Beyond that, you'd have to give specifics. Ryu is very uncharacteristic of a ninja beyond having teleport shenanigans. He behaves more like a grappler in that he has bad string ups, not incredibly fast, powerful throws, etc.

AkaShocka

Hahaha oh ninjas. We all think they have the "OMG BEST MIX UPS FOREVER!" Weeeeelllll have you ever fought Christie? Haha, yea that bitch is probably worse to fight. Or the VF characters. Ok I really shouldn't have to explain that. But the ninjas aren't the worse (or maybe they are, but other characters have great mix ups) they just seem to be tough because they hit hard, have good combos, grabs etc etc. But just because they're fast doesn't mean anything. Look at Brad Wong, slow as shit, but his mix up game is crazy. Hell, even Hitomi has her annoying ups and downs. I find her ups and downs more annoying than Ayane's. And Ayane has ANNOYING ups and downs.
Anyway, all I'm saying is the other characters can be just as much of a pain as the ninjas can be.
FUN FACT!: Via Ninja Gaiden and all the other things, Ryu is the most badass ninja who is better than Kasumi, Ayane, and Momiji. Yet in DOA they are better than him at pretty much everything. :)

Aspect

^when Ryu is using his legendary dragon sword or any other weapon(staff, bow, nunchaku, demon swords, two handed swords, scythes, dual katana, and his variety of ninpo techniques) he is the most badass ninja. Else his kicks are pretty weak aside from setting up his execution moves. I have never seen him use hand to hand combat vs a fiend either so that could explain a lot of it. Same thing could be said with the other ninjas but I just suppose they are better than him in hand to hand combat or that the designers can't directly import that version of ryu cause he would be killing everyone.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
While i know the ninjas aren't as godly as they were in previous games, but they do excel at mind games.

Say if Gen fu and Ryu are having a close battle, both are very evenly matched. But when it comes near the end, Ryu has the ability to just totally change his gameplay style and play the range game and use ninpo and other such tools to attempt to trick the opponent and grab the win. gen fu is probably the better character but Ryu has the advantage of putting Gen fu into a guessing game.

All the ninjas have this ability to back off and force the opponent into some mind games, of course it doesn't always pay off for the ninjas as the guessing can back fire, but the options are definitely on their side.

while they don't have the stats to make them top, surely the ability to back off and use tricks to put the opponent on the defensive and in a guessing game counts for something, seeing as it is a massive part of how doa is played?

just somethin i've been thinkin about, i'm no ninja expert so go ahead and discuss.

Lots of this information is just so inaccurate.

Damn, no one here seriously realizes just how strong Ayane's keep out game really is. Any player can create mind games when applying there character tools appropriately.

Each "ninja" excels at what they are suppose to be good at. None of them are weak, none of them are OP/godlike/broken either. They never have been.

This misconception players have in DOA5U is really fucking stupid.

"Oh Ayane is bad in 5U now"

Let's talk about this for a second;

Okay so let's see here, this character's match ups from DOA5 Vanilla have not changed coming into 5U. They are the same as they were in Vanilla. They are either in her favor, fair, or pretty even. Ayane has one bad match up in DOA5/U. Rachel isn't even a problem for this character, neither is Jacky or Sarah.

All of her best tools and range tools are still there and are still going to fuck your life up when the player behind her is playing her well. 3H+K is -3 on block now, meaning she cannot frame trap you anymore. But you cannot punish her with anything anyway so it doesn't matter.

Her damage output is still very high, 64T got buffed against characters with back turn parries. P4P is wrecking your shit at range and in CQC and you cannot do anything about it. She still has nifty little frame traps that are hard to deal with. She still puts you in stun > launch 50/50 situations. 4P is still incredible. Her keep out game is better than it was in Vanilla. She has Korean Back Dashing now (a huge buff for her).

Tell me how Ayane is bad in DOA5U, exactly.

Ryu Hayabusa is extremely versatile and can be played successfully in more than one way (Master is the best example of this character).

Hayate is very solid in 5U and his range and mobility are quite good.

Kasumi has very good speed and damage output.

Momiji has very solid damage output and a solid ranged whiff punisher and pressure if she gets it started.

Saying "the ninjas are good at mind games" sounds way too vague because all of them have very solid tools and they work well for what they are intended for. None are heavily reliant on "gimmicks" or "tricks", and if that is all players see, then players need to lab it up a lot more and actually study something.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD