Throw Break Suggestions

dawnbringer

What do you all think about these proposed changes?
-Throws can be broken in the first 4 frames of animation if the defender inputs the same command of the throw they were caught with

I think that's incredibly short window for throw break. Practically throw breaks would occur only if both players want to throw each other at the same time with the same throw.

What is the foundation for proposed timing? Have you ever been breaking throws in a game with such throw break window (they do exist)?

wiztick

if throws breaks were to be implimented in DOA other throws would need to be balanec out in the process. that awseome ceiling throw immunety you get by alwalys trying to break the throw would suck for the person rtying to use the throw itself. thus basicly making the throw useless since EVERYONE will attempt to break it. thus, other throws must bring good results so that you can be threatened by other throws and makes that ceiling throw useful.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Breaks are not necessary imo. Thorws outside of HC damage are not a major issue.

Stun game and holds needs to be addressed more.
I've been tooking with @DR2K out of this thread in order to understand why he thinks stun game and holds need to be addressed, and finally and idea came to my mind: to limit number of hold atemps during threshold to one or max two hold attemps. Thoughts?

Maybe this idea should be disscused in other thread <EDIT> if not have been already discussed.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Honestly, if you could skip the threshold optionally or play the poke-stun game, I wouldn't mind it as much.
For example, if you didn't have to extend the stun threshold so long to get max launch height, you could opt for stun->launch and get the guaranteed damage, or play the guessing poke-stun thing for extra damage and a CB, though it's not guaranteed and makes you susceptible to holds.
The only issue with that is that you still get bastards like Gen Fu, Helena and some others who can still do their endless-loopy crap, but that could still happen with either system. Thus, I think the ground game and force techs need reworking in order to get the stun system to a place I'm content with it.

Last edited:

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Honestly, if you could skip the threshold optionally or play the poke-stun game, I wouldn't mind it as much.
For example, if you didn't have to extend the stun threshold so long to get max launch height, you could opt for stun->launch and get the guaranteed damage, or play the guessing poke-stun thing for extra damage and a CB, though it's not guaranteed and makes you susceptible to holds.
The only issue with that is that you still get bastards like Gen Fu, Helena and some others who can still do their endless-loopy crap, but that could still happen with either system. Thus, I think the ground game and force techs need reworked in order to get the stun system to a place I'm content with it.
I like stun game a lot, but many people don't or even hate it... So perhaps a softened stun game helps DOA to be better acepted in FGC without losing its essentials. However (instead limiting holds attemps) I preffer critical holds to get a revision of -40% (instead actual -20% or so) so people don't be afraid of attemp to attack an stunned opp.

Brute

Standard Donor
I like stun game a lot, but many people don't or even hate it... So perhaps a softened stun game helps DOA to be better acepted in FGC without losing its essentials. However (instead limiting holds attemps) I preffer critical holds to get a revision of -40% (instead actual -20% or so) so people don't be afraid of attemp to attack an stunned opp.
Many would still hate the idea of any hold from stun, regardless of damage or count (as it halts the offense).
Personally I'm in a different boat, but I don't tend to voice my thoughts on the matter because my opinion is not widely held.
So, moving on: I think that whether in or out of stun, hold damage should be small, unless an expert hold.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Many would still hate the idea of any hold from stun, regardless of damage or count (as it halts the offense).
Personally I'm in a different boat, but I don't tend to voice my thoughts on the matter because my opinion is not widely held.
I think you should voice despite of wide or narrow helding... Either small things and big ones can change fate of anything, including DOA.

So, moving on: I think that whether in or out of stun, hold damage should be small, unless an expert hold.
I agree.

Brute

Standard Donor
I think you should voice despite of wide or narrow helding... Either small things and big ones can change fate of anything, including DOA
Alright, but when I stir up the hive, don't go blaming me.

More stuns should have special properties. For example, Sit-Down-Stuns can't be held out of, Limbo Stuns have fall property, etc. so why not have things like Rising Uppercut Stuns only allow mid/high holds?
Stun duration should be consistent, thereby eliminating slow escaping (ideal stun duration somewhere between current slowest and fastest SE).
String delays and resets need re-working so that you commit to an option (Gen Fu). Essentially the same issue with the "blender" (such as Helena's or Pai's), just that it gives even more options to make guessing out of it even more difficult. For example, Gen Fu can poke-stun you until the end of the threshold, then launch->air grab(reset), just as Pai or Helena would with their force-techs.
Hold damage should be re-adjusted (the NH, CH and HiC system for hold damage is not ideal to me).
Recovery time on all holds and parries should be increased even further.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD