Tina's New Ground Game in DOA5U

Doa_Eater

For me, I end up missing the tech because either the opponent got up quickly enough from the ground to make my attack whiff or my attack just miraculously whiffs because they weren't on the ground long enough 0.o. The times I do go for the tech, I use 2K since I don't have to get in too close to them to attack.

Exactly, either way you are eating hard stun wake up kick and everything that comes after it. 2p, 2k or bust.

PacManila

I wish the overall ground game could be tweaked a little bit. I find it weird when some low attacks miss because the character was not down long enough :/. Doesn't seem "natural" I guess.

I usually just end up trying to beat out the wake up kick. 6H+K imo is good at this because of the active frames and doesn't have a long start-up time like 4P+K. Timing is a little strict though because if you're off, you'll get hit with the wake-up (which will at least just knock you out of the air at worst) or both attacks miss completely.

OolongTea

6H+K for me will just make the wake up kick (mid) whiff, Pac =( It can beat the wake up kick (mid), but I hardly see it (same with 2P+K, K). It does beat the low.
After more testing the SSK will make the wake up kick whiff consistently, and if you time it right you will avoid the next high attacks (tina will be in a crouch state still)... not bad.
But hey, after a counter hit 6H+K or 2P+KK I could hit 2K (they tech) and then a 6H+K will beat everything they do (then another 2k!)... and they couldn't mash punch or kick when I tried to JOCyclone throw either... finally something I can use against mashers! :D lol

Edit: testing this now and attacks after 6H+K will only hit if they are mashing (couldn't do it against the cpu standing). 3(hold)P is very easy to hit in this situation and they have to stop pressing buttons or they'll eat a 6H+K 3holdP loop lol so I guess it's a technique you can only use against low level spammers

Last edited:

PacManila

Beating wake-up kicks with 6H+K requires some timing. Record the dummy in training mode to do just kicks and knock them down with something like 6H+K. Then practice the timing of beating out the kick with 6H+K. It takes some practice, but when you get an idea of when to use the move, you can discourage the opponent from trying a wake-up kick again.

As for the CH 6H+K to 2K, the opponent still has the option to do a wake-up kick to beat out your attack so be careful. It's best to go for the guaranteed ground throw after landing 6H+K.

OolongTea

Beating wake-up kicks with 6H+K requires some timing. Record the dummy in training mode to do just kicks and knock them down with something like 6H+K. Then practice the timing of beating out the kick with 6H+K.

That what I was doing for the last hour lol the timing is really strict. Strange thing is that attacks will hit them on the ground if you record it to mash a wake up kick for example. Why does that happen? They can't use the wakeup kicks after you hit them in this way.

PacManila

That what I was doing for the last hour lol the timing is really strict. Strange thing is that attacks will hit them on the ground if you record it to mash a wake up kick for example. Why does that happen? They can't use the wakeup kicks after you hit them in this way.

Probably because of the pause between kicks from what you recorded the dummy to do, so they're vulnerable to ground attacks for a moment. I usually practice beating wake-ups using Zack as the dummy since he has standing and crouching strings that involve just K (like KK... and 2KK...), minimizing the pauses. And I always knock first with something like 6H+K since it's a "hard knockdown". from there, I practice beating out the wake-up

Mestizo

Standard Donor
hmmm interesting, I will have to play around with this. Cant believe I didnt already know this. I was using somersault, holds and rodeo throw to get the job done.

Tina truly is a Okizeme goddess, probably why damn near all her attacks drop you on your ass so easily >_<

AkaShocka

Her ground game is totally destroyed eh? So I am just guessing since :6::h::+::K: :1::P: :6::h::+::K: no longer works that mean :6::6::P::+::K: no longer works? :( Even though its not the best force tech I just loved doing it :). Can her :2::h::+::K: force tech still or no?

KingGhidorah

Meh, still used correctly Tina and Mila are possibly the strongest characters in the game.

I wouldn't say they'd be the strongest when used right, but rather a force to be alert to. People do sleep on Tina and Mila from my experience, and all I can say there is--Not very bright.

PacManila

Her ground game is totally destroyed eh? So I am just guessing since :6::h::+::K: :1::P: :6::h::+::K: no longer works that mean :6::6::P::+::K: no longer works? :( Even though its not the best force tech I just loved doing it :). Can her :2::h::+::K: force tech still or no?

All her guaranteed FTs are gone. You can only FT them from 6H+K if the opponent chooses not to get up. Also 4P+K doesn't even guarantee a ground throw :(.

Did you mean 6P+K? That notation is for her booty bump. You can FT them with it still, but there's no guarantee that it will FT. They have to be lying on the ground long enough for you to FT them :/.

AkaShocka

All her guaranteed FTs are gone. You can only FT them from 6H+K if the opponent chooses not to get up. Also 4P+K doesn't even guarantee a ground throw :(.

Did you mean 6P+K? That notation is for her booty bump. You can FT them with it still, but there's no guarantee that it will FT. They have to be lying on the ground long enough for you to FT them :/.
Her booty butt bomb no longer FTs?! :(. Alrighty thanks man. So if the opponent doesn't choose to get up I can FT them yes?

OolongTea

I've recorded Tina to :6: :h: :+: :K: :3: hold :P: me, and I tried to get up in time not to take the 3 hold P.
Maybe I can escape 1 in 10 times lol If it's a very specific and strict timing maybe it can be useful?

PacManila

I've recorded Tina to :6: :h: :+: :K: :3: hold :P: me, and I tried to get up in time not to take the 3 hold P.
Maybe I can escape 1 in 10 times lol If it's a very specific and strict timing maybe it can be useful?

I just tried this. It feels like the time to get up and avoid :3_::P: is really strict. I had the same result as Tea, most of the time I could not avoid the FT.

What's weird is that that when I set the dummy to just stand there, they're able to get up before :3_::P: hits. I think I may know why this happens. The dummy is literally getting up at the exact frame right after the "hard knockdown" period ends. For instance, when you hit them with :6::H+K:, they're in "hard knockdown" state for 11 frames in which after that period, they are able to get up. :3_::P: executes in 12 frames and can be executed as soon as the opponent stops bouncing on the ground (which signals the start of the 11 frame knockdown period). If the opponent fails to get up around that exact 12th frame (almost just frame-ish) while they're down, :3_::P: will FT. Note that :3_::P: has to be executed right after a successful :6::H+K:. If they decide to just lay there, then :3_::P: will FT for sure.

If these findings are correct, maybe she did not lose her :6::H+K: to FT after all, but instead was just altered based on the changes to the ground game. It's still not a guaranteed FT, but knowing that the opponent can't just mash out :h: or :K: to escape it makes it worth using. Someone in system discussion mentioned that it's easier to FT when the opponent is face down. :6::H+K: puts the opponent in the face down position and combined with what is mentioned above, may explain why the FT works.

*Edit: Another interesting thing I just found. With the dummy on the same setting, I hit them with:6::H+K: from the farthest distance possible (about 3 backdashes away) and I was actually able to FT with :3_::P: even though they are able to tech right after the knockdown period ends. This even worked with the recovery setting to on. The knockdown period seems longer too (12 to 14 frames).

Last edited:

KingGhidorah

I just tried this. It feels like the time to avoid :3_::P: is really strict. I had the same result as Tea, most of the time I could not avoid the FT.

What's weird is that that when I set the dummy to just stand there, they're able to get up before :3_::P: hits. I think I may know why this happens. The dummy is literally getting up at the exact frame right after the "hard knockdown" period ends. For instance, when you hit them with :6::H+K:, they're in "hard knockdown" state for 11 frames in which after that period, they are able to get up. :3_::P: executes in 12 frames. If the opponent fails to get up around that exact 12th frame while they're down, :3_::P: will FT. :3_::P: has to be executed right after a successful :6::H+K:. If they decide to just lay there, then :3_::P: will FT for sure.

If these findings are correct, maybe she did not lose her :6::H+K: to FT after all, but instead was just altered based on the changes to the ground game. Someone in system discussion mentioned that it's easier to FT when the opponent is face down. :6::H+K: puts the opponent in the face down position and combined with what is mentioned above, may explain why the FT works.

*Edit: Another interesting thing I just found. With the dummy on the same setting, I hit them with:6::H+K: from the farthest distance possible (about 3 backdashes away) and I was able to FT with :3_::P: pretty easily. This even worked with the recovery setting to on. The knockdown period seems longer too (12 to 14 frames).

You don't waste any time digging. If I face your Tina I need to keep all your info in mind to avoid getting my ass slapped off the ground into more pressure lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD