Balance Tina's wishes for an DOA5U patch

MasterHavik

Well she is a wrestler, so stun and throws are kinda her thing :p.

Despite the nerfs, I am changing my gameplay up, getting accustomed to her changes, and finding ways to make use of what she has right now while trying to get better overall along the way. The nerfs are a little disheartening, but I can't just let my baby go and move on to someone else like that XD.
She was doing more in vanilla besides stun throwing.

And when Zack was pretty downgrade din vanilla. I didn't let him go. I was mad, but Jesus characters like vanilla Zack and 5U Tina are just not cool and make the balance of the game dumb.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
TRI Mike clearly gets what Tina needs. Her 7p string used to be god-like, and she needs more OH.

However, while she would benefit from buffs, has anyone actually explored her depth?

TRI Mike

Damn I forgot I had a long 2-week trip after I posted this so I haven't had time to take care of the thread or play at all. Now i'm back though and I promise to take a few minutes to read your posts, make my own and share with TN.

OolongTea

I agree with everything Mike posted and also Pac's comment about her stun game.
I also kinda wished she had more tools... a new stance maybe. But if we're talking minor tweaks, I've got those to add:

- More opportunities where you can go for guaranteed damage (ground throw) or not guaranteed (hard to escape) FTs, like after :6::H+K: to keep pressuring. Really slow stuff like :7::K: hits and you get nothing guaranteed?
- Some tracking to :4::P+K: or at least to BT:P+K:... that thing is slow as hell, and they can step it easily. Canceling it with :h: doesn't help at all in this situation.
- :6::H+K: at least -6 at close range?
- :2::P+K::K: being at least +0 on block. It's a slow, telegraphed guard break that's -4 at close range.
- More options after :2::P+K:? Like cancelling it earlier with :h: or making Tina roll back if you choose.
- Some setup potential after :6::6::F+P:. Guaranteed ground throw after and a hard to escape FT with :3_::P:?

TRI Mike

She already has an unblockable... and I don't think it shoud track either. That move is fine tbh.

TRI Mike

After playing with her for a while in Ultimate, I've come to the conclusion that all she needs are the following buffs:

1) :P::K::K: / :K::K: should still cause the backturned stun it caused in vanilla. Now that the opponent can hold whatever she does after it, I just can't trust the move as much anymore, even if it's still safe. Besides, it's not like she got a shit ton of guaranteed damage out of it so bring it back to how it was.

2) :6::6::K: has to sit-down stun crouching opponents again. It'd be PERFECT it is caused it in standing ones as well (like in the E3 2012 build) but crouching should be fine. I used this a lot in vanilla to punish low-holders and it worked wonders. BRING IT BACK.

3) :8::P: (and :6::6::K: on crounching foes) should give enough advantage to 100% guarantee :3::3::K: again. It pretty much still works because they have to slow escape on fastest but I've had people block the launcher and it pisses me off. Unholdables have to guarantee shit.

4) :6::H+K: has to be safe and a guard break again. I mean come on.

5) :4::P+K: has to guarantee a ground throw no matter the distance (right now it's only free at max distance).

6) This is more of a personal thing and I'd like it discussed. I want her to have a low throw when backturned. Why¿ Because most of her options when in that stance are either highs (:7::P::P:, :P::P:etc strings), a standing throw or a standing OH. Now, those are all pretty cool and she even has an i11 mid kick but I've had people low hold out of the highs and throws way too many times and it's annoying as all hell.

When backturned, Brad and Helena have mid launchers to destroy low holds and Ayane DOES have a low throw so I don't see why Tina shouldn't get one too, especially taking into consideration that she's a wrestler. DOA5 gave her a big focus on being backturned so she needs options to deal with stuff like the grappler she is.

Doa_Eater

44PK, making the kick mid could do wonders for her mix up game on hard knockdown hits with wall bounce. Also any combo move that ends in high and is not a launcher is useless.

TRI Mike

She has a lot of potential, she's ridiculously safe and the moves are there, it's the properties what's killing her competitive usefulness.

Doa_Eater

There's absolutely nothing that favors the characters with the so called term "grappler" in this game outside of a faulty "triangle system". Even their throws sucks, it's not like every character doesnt have a 40% hi counter throw or better yet a neutral minus left standing throw!!! Constant speed disadvantage, no favorable arenas, no low mix ups, and hey get this they were first and hardest on the nerf bat and now i'm just supposed to say, "hey it was ok previously, i just want the old Tina back and i promise i wont win too much"

Well got my fingers crossed in the latest Marie Rose edition!!! (Not really)

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
-I do not agree with this at all. For the most part, grapplers have both the fastest and most damaging throws in the game! Outside of that, each grappler is unique to their own individual play style. Tina have some of the most damaging combo throws(just frame inescapable) in the game. With a few that branch off to set-up throws(throws that have frame advantage) that have higher damage potential.

-She have advanced holds that allow for her to set-up wall/back turn advantage. A good option select off the hit throw after :K:. Good juggle potential. Tina have Good crushes, good keep away attacks. She have great option selects off most crumple stuns(Can FS to opponents back~attack or wait and throw, or wait and ground throw).Have one of the best Offensive holds in the game(giant swing).

-Tina is one of the safest characters in the game. Played well, she is a force to be reconed with :p

MasterHavik

but pai that means nothing when they are struck blocking most of the time and hope for mistakes...hoping for a fuck p doesn't make you a "good" character. That's like calling Tager in BBCT a good character if the opponent is an idiot.

And Tina isn't one of the safest characters in the game. See Zack, mila, and momo.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
but pai that means nothing when they are struck blocking most of the time and hope for mistakes...hoping for a fuck p doesn't make you a "good" character. That's like calling Tager in BBCT a good character if the opponent is an idiot.
-My particular play style is not based around just blocking and hoping for mistakes. I am an aggressive Tina player. I go on the offense from the very start. Most players start off with your standard :P: jab and/or string variant. Which makes it very easy for a Tina player to use her staple :1::P: on Counter Strike~Trip Stun Mixup. Tina is far from being locked out during her matches....she is no damn Bass lol.

And Tina isn't one of the safest characters in the game. See Zack, mila, and momo.
-She is far from being one of the most unsafe!

No. Retort? Frame Data.
-Um, My original response would be a retort.

Last edited:

MasterHavik

-My particular play style is not based around just blocking and hoping for mistakes. I am an aggressive Tina player. I go on the offense from the very start. Most players start off with your standard :P: jab and/or string variant. Which makes it very easy for a Tina player to use her staple :1::P: on Counter Strike~Trip Stun Mixup. Tina is far from being locked out during her matches....she is no damn Bass lol.

-She is far from being one of the most unsafe!
Congrats THAT is YOUR playstyle that doesn't make her better dude. Besides being aggressive at best will catch someone off guard, but doing it vs. someone that won't fall for it Tina getting wrecked. Let's see her try it vs. Jacky or Leifang.That is like saying Zack is top 5 because I play a style that takes advantage of his speed and mixup game. I call it Strategic rushdown. But the way i play a character has no effect on a tier list or ranking system. It's about their tools and what they can do with them.

She is pretty unsafe..that doesn't help your case. Her GBs still leave her negative and the safest thing I know she has is -3. Hooray to that. Look dude I like you and all..but it when comes to damage control you're one of the best at it in this community. Not only do I like this character and know how she works. I know she got rape in this game and is really bad, not bottom 5 but bottom 10. Also YOUR playstyle with a character doesn't automatically make them a good character. What type of logic is that? Just admit that she sucks and hope she gets fixed in the Marie Rose version.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD