System TopTier Tips guide For help with DOA5 including LR.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
That's bullshit and you know it.

???

I don't understand how it's bullshit? DOA5LR has an outstanding Training mode with a highly useful Move Details, along with a prolific tutorial mode, Command Training and Combo Challenges to help players out. There are numerous helpful threads and guides on this site (and on others such as DOAW) that can help out any player looking to level up their game. It's no coincidence that some players get better and improve and others either remain average or scrubby. It's no one's responsibility to hold the hands of players that don't help themselves first.

How did I improve at this game?
- I studied my main thoroughly in Training Mode
- I looked up guides on how to use my character effectively
- I regularly review my replays to see how I'm playing
- I requested assistance and tips from better players
- I practice my tech regularly and try to see what works and what doesn't
- I watch better players to see how they play the game
- I review Match-Ups if certain characters are giving me difficulties (I.e. GenFu, Brad Wong, Hitomi, Christie, etc.)
- I push myself to play better than last time no matter what the previous result was

Last edited:

TheRealCoxinator

Well I guess it's time for me to design an app that turns off the opponents controllers cuz I can wreck someone standing still. I've done everything on that list and more. I must be a god. Just lacking some sample text is all.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Well I guess it's time for me to design an app that turns off the opponents controllers cuz I can wreck someone standing still. I've done everything on that list and more. I must be a god. Just lacking some sample text is all.

What are you having difficulty with?

A bit of a disclaimer: I will also let you know that online gameplay is bullshit and nothing will work like how it's supposed to which will of course lead to frustration. I.e. Individual experiences will vary compared to offline matches.

TheRealCoxinator

What are you having difficulty with?

A bit of a disclaimer: I will also let you know that online gameplay is bullshit and nothing will work like how it's supposed to which will of course lead to frustration. I.e. Individual experiences will vary compared to offline matches.
yeah that online part is a majority of it lol, also i'm bad at blocking, I used to not block at all, but now I do a bit more.

honestly idk lol

TheRealCoxinator

Thought so...

Do you know frame data? If you want some tips & advice send me a PM.
O I know frame data lol. That extra thing I mentioned that wasn't on your list was playing all characters, looking for frame data/guides for each character, in order to find what's safe, what's most used, and what's guaranteed/what I should hold for. Also each option a character has to choose from after each string/what the animations look like for each string, and whether each is a mid high or low.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
O I know frame data lol. That extra thing I mentioned that wasn't on your list was playing all characters, looking for frame data/guides for each character, in order to find what's safe, what's most used, and what's guaranteed/what I should hold for. Also each option a character has to choose from after each string/what the animations look like for each string, and whether each is a mid high or low.
Stuff about frame data would be referred to in a more advanced guide, and if you paid attention to the Top Tier Tips guide, we left a link to a guide about frame data http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/how-to-use-frame-data.224/.

Character specific stuff would need its own guide(s) in itself. This is where the individual character forums come in to play. It sounds like you want everything dished out to you right away.

TheRealCoxinator

Stuff about frame data would be referred to in a more advanced guide, and if you paid attention to the Top Tier Tips guide, we left a link to a guide about frame data http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/how-to-use-frame-data.224/.

Character specific stuff would need its own guide(s) in itself. This is where the individual character forums come in to play. It sounds like you want everything dished out to you right away.
Sorry I wrote that kind of weirdly, I have already done that, I don't need to do it anymore. Sorry the way I talk is kinda the way I write and it gets really confusing.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
You need to do it over and over again, just like FoN listed on his examples, he didn't just do that once, he did practiced with repetition until he learned new tricks from it. Any guide is for the people who want to learn, there's no guide out there that explains it how you thought should be the appropriate way to learn, you take what you can get and expand from it. If you feel unhappy, go make your own guide, no one is stopping you, show us how you think a guide should be. We certainly won't have the opportunity to cater to everyone's needs, but we try our best, and you won't have the opportunity either when you make your guide. So again, take what you can get, and work your way up.

TheRealCoxinator

Sorry I don't read guides and frame data every day but I still practice a lot and I haven't been playing the game seriously since i've started but it's still been about 10 years. I'm still worse than most people who've been playing for only 10 weeks.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
You need to do it over and over again, just like FoN listed on his examples, he didn't just do that once, he did practiced with repetition until he learned new tricks from it. Any guide is for the people who want to learn, there's no guide out there that explains it how you thought should be the appropriate way to learn, you take what you can get and expand from it. If you feel unhappy, go make your own guide, no one is stopping you, show us how you think a guide should be. We certainly won't have the opportunity to cater to everyone's needs, but we try our best, and you won't have the opportunity either when you make your guide. So again, take what you can get, and work your way up.
But if there is anything else you guys would like to see in future iterations, please list them in the comments. We really do appreciate as much helpful feedback as possible.

Very nice, a little guide with all the important terminology, and high quality production too!
I'd love if you continued with this, as someone hoping to get into DoA stuff like this is always a help

Zack117

Standard Donor
I haven't been to any DOA events/tourneys yet but in the few months I lurked around here on FSD, I can certainly say that this is one of the greatest accomplishments the DOA community has brought up.
This guide is so comprehensive and well written, not to mention the design and artwork that went into it. It's professional and top notch.
You guys hit just the sweet spot of basic information. It wasn't too long to be tiring to read, but also not too short to leave questions unanswered.
This must have been so much work. Thank you very very much for this biblical piece of work.

Some day you guys may find the time and energy to make an advanced guide of such a caliber. I'm looking forward to that day.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I haven't been to any DOA events/tourneys yet but in the few months I lurked around here on FSD, I can certainly say that this is one of the greatest accomplishments the DOA community has brought up.
This guide is so comprehensive and well written, not to mention the design and artwork that went into it. It's professional and top notch.
You guys hit just the sweet spot of basic information. It wasn't too long to be tiring to read, but also not too short to leave questions unanswered.
This must have been so much work. Thank you very very much for this biblical piece of work.

Some day you guys may find the time and energy to make an advanced guide of such a caliber. I'm looking forward to that day.
It's people like you that make us want to invest our time into making awesome projects like this for the community.

Well Zack117, you're in luck, because we've already begun our second project. And all I can say about it is that we're trying to give the players what they want, by taking the guide to new heights. ;)

lotr9690

Hey I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm having trouble with fuzzy guards... especially online. I mean I don't know why I bother doing anything online haha. However, concerning offline, do you guys know of any videos that show off a good fuzzy guard? I know that I've done a successful fuzzy guard but after I fuzzy guard I can't follow up with anything because I'm so focused on pulling it off lol!

Any help is appreciated. Not that you haven't already helped enough; I have your Top Tier Tips on my desktop -- it was a big help; it's actually the reason I found out how to do fuzzy guarding.

Lulu

What is it with people against hand holding ?
If anything Hand Holding in Fighting Games can only be a good thing.

Kohlrak

What is it with people against hand holding ?
If anything Hand Holding in Fighting Games can only be a good thing.

I agree. People see hand-holding as bad, but it's only bad if you don' know when to let go (too early is bad, and so is too late, but too early is worse). Not everyone has the time to devote to strangers, but at the same not everyone has time for a game that they spend more time learning than playing.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD