"Way of the Kunoichi" - a Momiji guide

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Thanks for the compliments and feedback everyone.

Woah! ...
Oh and 3P is i13 and not i14, as mentioned in ''Section 2: Speed'' in your guide.

Corrected. Good looking out. Thanks!

I've looked over the Power Launcher combo section and I believe this is a more damaging combo in open space (no-timing) for lightweights and middleweights:

PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 66K > 3P4PP

This is what I have in my notes...

PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 66K > 3P4PP = 100
PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 3P4P > 3P4PP = 104 listed for mids through heavy
PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 8P > 6PKKP = 108 listed for welters and below

I could be doing it incorrectly, so please double check for me. The combo listed for welters and below actually works on mids through heavy but the timing is tight for 4 extra damage (especially on Gen Fu). I just chose to list the easier combo. I'll make that note in the guide.

If there are any corrections or suggestions, please let me know. Most of this was done over early morning coffee so there was much room for error :) Also, if there is a nugget of information that anyone is holding on to, mention it here or PM me and I can add it.

KING JAIMY

Thanks for the compliments and feedback everyone.

Corrected. Good looking out. Thanks!

This is what I have in my notes...

PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 66K > 3P4PP = 100
PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 3P4P > 3P4PP = 104 listed for mids through heavy
PL > P (whiff) > 7K > 8P > 6PKKP = 108 listed for welters and below

I could be doing it incorrectly, so please double check for me. The combo listed for welters and below actually works on mids through heavy but the timing is tight for 4 extra damage (especially on Gen Fu). I just chose to list the easier combo. I'll make that note in the guide.

If there are any corrections or suggestions, please let me know. Most of this was done over early morning coffee so there was much room for error :) Also, if there is a nugget of information that anyone is holding on to, mention it here or PM me and I can add it.
Haha, that's cool man. If something comes to mind I'll make sure to share it here. :)

KING JAIMY

Don't really have anything to add besides juggles/combos, because you covered all her basics like speed, safety, etc. really well.
:9::K: (-5): A mid-range tracking High Kick that goes over lows and leaves your opponent back turned. :9::K: has no guaranteed follow-ups if your opponent slow escapes on fastest. :9::K: evades Lows and leaves your opponent back turned.
The underlined text isn't true. 66PP is guaranteed after 9K. They can't hold 66PP even if they slow escape on fastest because it takes 5 (?) frames to turn around for the opponent thus granting you an additional five frames on top of the listed frame advantage after 9K hits.

Set CPU Critical Hold to fastest to hold mid punch and set slow escape to fastest. You'll see what I'm talking about. ;)

So here we go, a couple of :9::K: combos:

K > →→PP >PP > PPPP
K > →→PP >PP >PPP
K > →→PP > →→K >PKKP
K > →→PP >P >PKKP
K > →→PP >P > PPPP
K > →→PP > ←←PPK >PKP
K > →→PP > ←←PPK >PPP
K > ←←K > BT P >PK >PKKP
K > ←←K > BT P >PK >PPP
K > KP >PKKP

The first seven combos are all guaranteed if 9K lands, but the last three combos can be slow escaped on fastest. Feel free to edit the format of these combos if you want to add these to your guide as I have copied these directly from my Word document. I still might have some more stuff up my sleeve, so I will browse through my Word docs later tonight. :)

Also, here is one of Momiji's unusual post-CB combos I came up with. Stylish, but unfortunately no optimum damage: http://www.freestepdodge.com/media/doa5lr-unusual-combo-momiji.9288/media

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Not that many people stagger escape let alone fast enough to avoid something like that. I'm pretty sure you can't hold the 66P no matter how fast you stagger escape either.
I know indeed for a fact that the 66P is not holdable but I didn't know you could block after slow escaping. But you're right people need to have an insanely good reaction time with regard to slow escaping to avoid getting hit by 66P. This may be the reason I thought it was guaranteed after all... pretty much no one is able to slow escape that fast in reaction to 9K AND block 66P afterwards.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
That said it's still viable to go for it once in a while since you can just stop at 66P and be safe if you see that they're capable of staggering it.

Didn't say anything about it not being viable. I said it isn't guaranteed.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
And there's me thinking 66PP was guaranteed after 9K for two years! O_O
Nah. It was never guaranteed. It's just hard to SE right that instant that you get hit by it. 6PK is the same way & it's faster. Problem with that move is that at times, you don't get the reach for it. Nothing is really consistent from it.

Kasumi's H+K is the same way, but many believe that she gets guaranteeds from it.

Tenro

nice work coffeedad , now there is a finally a quick pocket book kinda reference about momiji for a quick summary on what kinda character she is . btw bro , she's technically a "miko" not a kunoichi but ahh who cares lol .

about the 9k follow-up , i personally use p+k after it which gives me a BT limbo after that u can easily chuck out 66pp with ease but honestly this setup is only viable after u have seen opponent's reactions to ur stuns . put it simply , it needs to be well placed , like a mine .

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
nice work coffeedad , now there is a finally a quick pocket book kinda reference about momiji for a quick summary on what kinda character she is . btw bro , she's technically a "miko" not a kunoichi but ahh who cares lol .

about the 9k follow-up , i personally use p+k after it which gives me a BT limbo after that u can easily chuck out 66pp with ease but honestly this setup is only viable after u have seen opponent's reactions to ur stuns . put it simply , it needs to be well placed , like a mine .

66PP is faster than P+K so it is a better go to option. P+K can also be slow escaped on "FAST" whereas 66PP requires a fastest stagger escape to block. Though the limbo stun is nice.

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Don't really have anything to add besides juggles/combos...

So here we go, a couple of :9::K: combos:

K > →→PP >PP > PPPP
K > →→PP >PP >PPP
K > →→PP > →→K >PKKP
K > →→PP >P >PKKP
K > →→PP >P > PPPP
K > →→PP > ←←PPK >PKP
K > →→PP > ←←PPK >PPP
K > ←←K > BT P >PK >PKKP
K > ←←K > BT P >PK >PPP
K > KP >PKKP

Also, here is one of Momiji's unusual post-CB combos I came up with. Stylish, but unfortunately no optimum damage: http://www.freestepdodge.com/media/doa5lr-unusual-combo-momiji.9288/media

Hey @KING JAIMY ,
I will add her 9K combos to a "guaranteed" section that I want to add. I know that 9K doesn't completely guarantee anything, but guaranteed on fastest stagger and below is pretty cool and good to know.

Additionally, I wanted to do a CB set-up section and didn't have the time. I will check out your combo and add it to that WIP section. Please keep giving me ideas and information. It's very helpful!

nice work coffeedad , btw bro , she's technically a "miko" not a kunoichi but ahh who cares lol.

Hi @Tenro,
Thanks for the feedback and information. I named the guide "Way of the Kunoichi" because in Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword for the DS you could use Momiji through the entire campaign by unlocking the "Way of the Kunoichi" difficulty, so I'm told. I don't know very much about the character of Momiji outside of her move list in DOA5LR.

KING JAIMY

Well actually she is both a ninja and a shrine maiden. Her title is ''Greater Ninja'' and she is part of the Hayabusa Ninja Clan. So yeah you could call her either a ninja or a shrine maiden/miko it doesn't really matter.
Hey @KING JAIMY ,
I will add her 9K combos to a "guaranteed" section that I want to add. I know that 9K doesn't completely guarantee anything, but guaranteed on fastest stagger and below is pretty cool and good to know.
On hindsight, there appear to be no guaranteed follow-ups from 9K at all. You were right, the comments right below the combos I posted clarify why you are right.

And I'm working on a video for Momiji. I will post it here when it's done. :)

BLAZE

O2YVrKT.png

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD