What improvements would you like to see in Doa5

Scott

Being able to switch stances(switch to BT et cetera) before the round begins ala VF Vanessa would be awesome with characters like Brad Wong, Helena and Ayane.

You can switch stances before the round starts. Provided it is a movement only command. You can back turn, back spin, and even roll as Ayane before the match begins.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I would like to see a 3 point parry system and a 6 point hold system.

Dead serious and that's still way more lenient then other 3D fighters.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Yeah, I do think that bringing back the parry would improve the game significantly. I don't know if I would go as far to suggest a 6-point hold system. I'd go for a 4-point parry system and 4-point holds with the old DOA2 arcade style inputs and still tighten up the active frames for the holds and give them at least a few frames when they come out.

Baron West

You can switch stances before the round starts. Provided it is a movement only command. You can back turn, back spin, and even roll as Ayane before the match begins.

I mean before people can start CDing towards you or anything. E.G. round ends, you/opponent has victory pose, you do the input, and your character is immediately in their stance before next round when people can start ssing, cding, et cetera. It seems like a small window of time, but it would make a big difference.

Rikuto...that's a really...really intriguing idea. I don't think they'd ever do that, but I'd enjoy playing a DOA like that.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
That would be pointless Grap3.

The entire purpose of a parry system is so you catch "more" then a hold does, but get less out of it.

It's more a line of defense then a method of punishment.

Holds should be used to punish the hell out of people who are being obviously repetitive, and a six point system ensures accidental holds don't happen very often at all.

three point parry simplifies it down and doubles your chances, but you get less damage from it and can't use them out of stun.

If the system was 4 point parry and 4 point hold, there would be no reason to ever use the parry.

Furthermore, certain attacks are un-parryable and just make the person step to the side. This creates more "good attack moves" and is overall better for the system.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Rikuto...that's a really...really intriguing idea. I don't think they'd ever do that, but I'd enjoy playing a DOA like that.

DOA++ was a 2 point Parry system and a 6 point hold system. Technically. It did a lot of things to blur the lines.

Basically, out of stun you had H and 2H to parry High/Mid and Low respectively, doing 64H and 214H would do mid punch or mid kick advanced defensive holds.

In stun, you had a six-point system, but the high/low holds only did the high/low parry - since the H and 2H input wouldn't be accepted once in stun.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer Doa2's 4point double direction Dh's. It prevented accidental holds, added at least 2 frames to execution, and parry's were only 2 point. What I would like to see, is more character specifics to holds(to tag along character individualization). Like A character who Dh's are mainly parry's or setup holds..etc

Gill Hustle

After playing some more DOA++ I came to realize an option that could be brought back to help solve DOA4's over defensive wall crumple and DOA3's over offensive wall crumple.

What if the user were able to tech the wall hit. They would still take the damage from the wall, but if they pushed :F:+:P:+:k just before impact then they would roll to the foreground or background along the wall. If the opponent did a linear attack to hit the wall crumple then the wall techer would avoid the move by teching. Additionally, if they techer didn't tech in time then the offender gets the free hit.

I was reminded of this due to DOA++'s ground dangerzone where the user had to tech the ground to avoid being bounced back up vertically and was forced to eat more damage.

You could also make it so the window for teching was made slimmer based on if a Normal, Counter, or Hi-counter blow/hold/throw knocked them into the wall.

Thoughts?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Did you mean to quote me? I don't remember saying that.

Edit: Wow, apparently I did. I totally forgot about that post. Either way, any reason why you quoted it without posting your own comments to it?

Gill Hustle

Did you mean to quote me? I don't remember saying that.

Edit: Wow, apparently I did. I totally forgot about that post. Either way, any reason why you quoted it without posting your own comments to it?

Stupid phone limited what I could do. :mad:

Anywayz, yeah I noticed this to with DOA++ and agreed with you on that point.

On another note, isn't it funny most of us think the DOA's TN should be looking more closely at are the ones hardest for Gaijin to get their hands on? :confused:

:ayane:

Hurricane Rev

For me, I want the Countering system to be Replaced by The Parrying system which was in DOA1. I used to really like the parries in DOA1 because it didn't take off a lot of damage and it also kept the flow of the match running. I actually really do like that and I think that they should bring the parrying system back into the next DOA game. Also, to make the parrying not spamable, I would say that there should be a number of times where you are allowed to try a parry someone. For example, If you are in stun and you try to parry someone but you miss them and they attack you afterwards, then you should not be allowed to try to parry someone again. I think the number of times that you are allowed to try and parry someone is 2 times.

KoF06

More focus on Tag mode
Bigger stage
4point counter
1F doesn't crouch
Auto-guard move for strong and slow caracters like bass (like a Hulk in mvc3)
Less dammage when you fall on stairs or thing like that (compare with doad)

More pervesity !

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
"pervesity"?

Did you mean "diversity"? or are you suggesting "perverted"/"perversity"?

Either way, I like.

Berzerk!

For me, I want the Countering system to be Replaced by The Parrying system which was in DOA1. I used to really like the parries in DOA1 because it didn't take off a lot of damage and it also kept the flow of the match running. I actually really do like that and I think that they should bring the parrying system back into the next DOA game. Also, to make the parrying not spamable, I would say that there should be a number of times where you are allowed to try a parry someone. For example, If you are in stun and you try to parry someone but you miss them and they attack you afterwards, then you should not be allowed to try to parry someone again. I think the number of times that you are allowed to try and parry someone is 2 times.

This is unnecessary in fighting games, as adding appropriate recovery frames to moves takes care of abusing repetition of moves.

I think parrying and holds should both be in the game. I agree with the idea of simple parries and double-motion holds; all with relatively tight windows and recovery of course. Not being able to parry out of stun should remain, and parries should provide enough advantage for one guaranteed hit.

After that, you're back in stun/counter zone, but that's where changes to this equation should also be added. Adding natural/unholdable 2-in-1s and variation in the stuns, along with true guard break to provide advantage would add to the game.

Sidestepping can be implemented in a number of interesting ways, starting with moves that have inbuilt step, to providing an incentive to free step when an opponent is stunned for new setups.

JAG THE GEMINI

My 2 cent´s about what DOA5 should play like:

Side step like in DOA3

SS-moves like in DOA3

Guard brakes like in DOA3

Juggle-options/guaranteed damage like in DOA3(with the damage revision of DOA4.. 40%)

Guaranteed wall combos like in DOA3, but again DOA4 damage revision.(40%)

Universal OH´s gone.

4 point hold system like in DOA2U, but with the damage revision of DOA3.

invincible frames during wake up kicks gone. Only certain "special" attacks from the ground should give you maybe invincible frames.

More blockstuns, NH launcher and more safeness.

Throws like they were in DOA2U/DOA3.

Less sex, more emphasize on characters "personalities" and cool/individual looks

BTW, xenblack Ayane DOA3 stile is awesome. It reminds me of much better times.

First post here.

Nuff said.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I wish you weren't all the way on the other side of the ocean heh, could use some more competitors on the east coast of the US.

To add to the discussion, maybe to help tag out:
  • Add Offensive Hold Tag Throws
  • Allow for falls in tag matches
  • Force an opponent's character to tag out (MVC3 "Snap-back")
  • Perhaps go 3-on-3 but may be too complicated

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD