What would you change about DOA?

Darrell

I don't mean the things we've all discussed like no hold out of stun, but what are some creative ideas you would add if you could direct the game from scratch?

For me. I would get rid of the hold animations.They don't need to be there. This would also solve the whole low holding out of stun as well, but it's just so it doesn't look so goofy. There would still be recovery frames from it, but the animation would be very subtle. Similar to Sleeping Dogs counter. I would make sure that high, and mid attacks, have their own animations. Each character's would look different, depending on style. So if they are blocking high, there would be a noticeable difference between that animation, and mid animation. Similar to MKDA. This would allow for players to now counter on reaction, instead of guess. Plus it would look sick. Players can now see the animation of block, and counter based off of that. Sounds as if it would make countering too easy, but to balance this out, countering would have to be done exactly on execution point of attack. All attacks that use hands and feet get counter attacks, but animations that don't, get the SS whiff animation. So If someone is using head bunt of shoulder attack, that counter animation wouldn't be of the opponent suddenly holding your arm.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Genesis said:
Make guarding more useful.

How much more useful can guarding be? It would be ridiculous to be able to guard out of stun, and if every blocked attack/string paved the way for guaranteed attacks/throws it would make DOA a turtle fest akin to Killer Instinct 1.

Jeremy

Character customization option with equal quality as default models. All clothing and base models would be different- no copying of existing characters. Just a simple option to have a custom fighter. Plus I want an unlimited stream of new armor/clothing. Oh and hey while we are at it - weapons mode.

I know this sounds like I should just be playing SC5--- I didn't like what they did with their customization or weaponry. I used to love SC but I lost the magic on that game awhile ago. I love Dead or Alive's system though and honestly, don't think they need to change much- more costumes is always a bonus.

TheTHCGamer

I'd make it less masher friendly.
Thats what make the entry level for the game so friendly to new players. A great fighting game should be very accessible and still have depth for top level players. Its more mash friendly at low level play. Me personally i wouldnt change a thing yet because its too soon. This is one fo the reasons i dont care for tekken because its a lot harder to do well against tekken players who have experience playing the game.

The entry level for a game like TEKKEN is painful and even VF has simple combos you can build off of P,P,P,P,K.

aphelion895

Thats what make the entry level for the game so friendly to new players. A great fighting game should be very accessible and still have depth for top level players. Its more mash friendly at low level play. Me personally i wouldnt change a thing yet because its too soon. This is one fo the reasons i dont care for tekken because its a lot harder to do well against tekken players who have experience playing the game.

The entry level for a game like TEKKEN is painful and even VF has simple combos you can build off of P,P,P,P,K.

I agree that fighters should be accessible, but they shouldn't be so accessible to the point where someone who spends hrs in training mode lose to random buttonmashers even though the player that lost is a better player. That's what DOA5 does. It allows mashers to beat better players by simply being random. How can you beat someone that doesn't even know what they're gonna do next? They have no pattern, no strategy, no nothing. Just press all the directions coupled with punches and kicks and win. I know several other decent players who deal with this as well. Fighting skilled players in this game is easier than fighting mashers. I don't mind losing in tekken because the players are better than me, I deserve to lose. In DOA I don't like when I beat an A ranked player in a match and then right afterwards lose to an F ranked masher, it doesn't make sense. The game needs to be less masher friendly, period. I'm typing this on my phone so forgive any typos.,

bingsoo

I agree that fighters should be accessible, but they shouldn't be so accessible to the point where someone who spends hrs in training mode lose to random buttonmashers even though the player that lost is a better player. That's what DOA5 does. It allows mashers to beat better players by simply being random. How can you beat someone that doesn't even know what they're gonna do next? They have no pattern, no strategy, no nothing. Just press all the directions coupled with punches and kicks and win. I know several other decent players who deal with this as well. Fighting skilled players in this game is easier than fighting mashers. I don't mind losing in tekken because the players are better than me, I deserve to lose. In DOA I don't like when I beat an A ranked player in a match and then right afterwards lose to an F ranked masher, it doesn't make sense. The game needs to be less masher friendly, period. I'm typing this on my phone so forgive any typos.,

This is just my opinion and I'm not arguing against you. I honestly think that if someone spends more time learning the game, they undoubtedly have less trouble against mashers. In most cases, mashing is only effective against people who don't block or other mashers. If you have good spacing, know how to defend, know your strings and frames, know the opponent's strings and frames, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to destroy a masher. That's just what I think. 90% of the people I fight on ranked matches are mashers, and it's really easy to beat them with simple spacing and whiff punishment.

Sixmsj

It sounds very entitled, just because you spend more time in training mode doesn't mean you deserve a win over someone else that spent less time than you. If you're losing to mashers, I'd reevaluate your game.

It's like the faulty mindset of poker, where a player think he's too good for low limit tables because it's 'too random'. My opinion is that, if you haven't mastered 'low limit', you shouldn't be in any other table. Apply it to Dead or Alive.

Blazeincarnated

I mean face a good Tina or Bayman or heck, even Bass player.. and mashing would be rendered obsolete. You have to know how to defend in a tight situation, and a lot of mashers don't like to do that, so they give up and complain about what character needs to be nerfed/buffed....

aphelion895

You're right, I'm not extremely familiar with strings or frame data, and that's something I should work on. But I still say that the masher friendliness should be toned down.

aphelion895

I wish I had a way to record my matches so I could post them on here and you more experienced players could tell me what I'm doing wrong. That would be helpful.

d3v

Buffed neutral game. VF style sidesteps were a good addition, but more movement and approach options would really help the game alot.

The online matchmaking I would change it for DOA4's ranked lobby-system anyday.
If not that I'd like to have an option to see which players are all in a lobby(grade and connection visible) without having to join(like in DOA4).

No more full-on water or icemaps.

No editing your random picks or 2 options one that's completely random and the other editable random.

Ghosty-J

Funny you bring up the game being too masher friendly since I have a much easier time fighting mashers instead of a seasoned fighter. Ah well, we all play differently, so I won't be nitpicky on whether or not the game is too accessible.

One thing I would change is he addition of a customization mode similar to VF5FS, but without the cruddy point system limiting the players. I would also remove the ability to hold from a stun the EXACT MOMENT someone gets hit so fast PPP strings are more encouraged.

I would normally say the sex appeal should be toned down, but Team Ninja succeeded in doing that (thank God). Although I feel like I get trolled whenever I would end up fighting a CE bikini clad Tina, at least this is acceptable compared to the infamous "Age 99" >_<;

Doug Nguyen

Right now i think DOA5 is doing really well. I guess more safe attack or natural combos and more special stuns for certain characters (Helena and Lisa)

TheTHCGamer

You're right, I'm not extremely familiar with strings or frame data, and that's something I should work on. But I still say that the masher friendliness should be toned down.
Believe me it wont seem so masher friendly when you spend more time playing the game and the classic way to stop a masher is block then counter. You just have to play more and figure out which moves leave which characters open for a counter. I think your referring to spam friendly and if you cant counter your opponent doing the same thing repeatedly then thats your won fault.

I blame only myself if my opponent keeps doing the same thing over and over to beat me. You really cant mash your way to wins unless you talking about low level play. If someone kept mashing the entire match then thats an easy win for me and how do you know your opponent is really mashing? It might seem like there mashing when in actuallity there just using the same string of attacks at the right time.

Im telling you the more you play the less problems your going to have against mashers. Also anyone who says theyve never mashed at all at the end of a match when both characters health bars are low is full of shit. Lol when a match is down to the wire sometimes panic mode sets in and you do mash simple combos. Although i wouldnt say mash but more use panic trying to use the fastest simplest attacks.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD