What would you change about DOA?

SilverKhaos

I'd love a Dead or Alive game with one major change: You can only knock people down or back, UP. or at the very least, forward attacks don't make you pop up, only launchers.

A DOA game with more realistic physics would be, to me, the ultimate fighting game. No true juggles, jumping dodges low attacks, ducking dodges high attacks, and attacks only connect if they actually make contact with the opponent.

DOA has the right idea with the triangle system, but the physics are what is holding it back. Its still doing the "poke someone in the toe and they bounce 6 feet in the air" stuff that keeps it from becoming something better. I stand by the believe that only heavy/strong attacks should send someone flying through the air, and if you hit someone, they should get knocked in the direction you hit them, not in a perpendicular direction.

Also, if i'm lying on the ground, head towards the opponent, a light tap should not make my body invert like a T2 so my head is suddenly on the other end.

Its all the little errors in physics that irritate me.

So it's not just me imagining that my attack hit someone in the hand, and sent them flying or left them doubled over... Are they using actual boxes, for hit-detection? I'm not talking about the shape, so much as, is there just a large box dictatig contact -- ala SF2?

Ace Flibble

I'd certainly change ranked so the only character options are random or blind choice and the stage selection would always be random. 3 rounds, normal life and no time would also be standard.

For larger changes, I'd remove the entire concept of launching/juggling and I'd remove the round timer completely. I've always thought that it looks silly in any game to A) make someone bounce six feet in the air from an uppercut and B) make them levitate for twenty seconds just because you keep punching their foot while they're off the ground. As for the timer, I simply think it's unnecessary and only invites lazy playing and killjoys. A competitive match, or even just a casual button-mashing one, will not come down to time. The only time you come down to time are when one person has decided to be an obnoxious git and run away.

I'd also severely tone down the T&A (well, the T at least, DOA doesn't have much A to begin with) and the push the new redesign even further, especially working on improving hair and cloth physics.

I'd also really like to see the return of a typical arcade mode with the story contained within that with CGI endings and all that jazz, so I suppose I'd revert the series back to that rather than DOA5's bizarre (and, to me, terrible) story mode and bland arcade trials.

Chaos

I would change the buffering system so that way the movement will feel more fluid & attacks like :3::3::P: won't be a hassle
to excute. Also , I'll get rid of inputs like :2::6::P: when im trying to do :2::3::6::P:.
Allow people to rematch online & add custom soundtracks for PS3 owners.
I'll make sure that DOA is all about competitive fighting & less sex appeal so people will take it seriously just like VF & Tekken. :)

d3v

So it's not just me imagining that my attack hit someone in the hand, and sent them flying or left them doubled over... Are they using actual boxes, for hit-detection? I'm not talking about the shape, so much as, is there just a large box dictatig contact -- ala SF2?
Hit boxes are used for every good fighting game out there. There have been experiments using otherwise but players in general prefer the predictability that hit boxes provide.
For larger changes, I'd remove the entire concept of launching/juggling and I'd remove the round timer completely. I've always thought that it looks silly in any game to A) make someone bounce six feet in the air from an uppercut and B) make them levitate for twenty seconds just because you keep punching their foot while they're off the ground. As for the timer, I simply think it's unnecessary and only invites lazy playing and killjoys. A competitive match, or even just a casual button-mashing one, will not come down to time. The only time you come down to time are when one person has decided to be an obnoxious git and run away.
If you're going to take out juggles, then you're going to have to add in a replacement mechanic for extending combos. Juggles exist because players discovered that you could do them in earlier fighting games and started using them for more damage. The developers generally acknowledge that players like being rewarded for good play (i.e. getting in your opponents defense) by the ability to continue doing damage.

Meanwhile, the timer actually is important in dictating the pace of the game. Without the timer, a losing player can just keep running away to frustrate the other player into making a mistake. With a timer, the losing player is forced to go in and try to gain a life lead. This works out better simply because in this situation, it's the winning player that's being rewarded whereas if you take it out, you actually indirectly reward the losing player.

Chaos

I would change the buffering system so that way the movement will feel more fluid & attacks like :3::3::P: won't be a hassle
to excute. Also , I'll get rid of inputs like :2::6::P: when im trying to do :2::3::6::P:.
Allow people to rematch online & add custom soundtracks for PS3 owners.
I'll make sure that DOA is all about competitive fighting & less sex appeal so people will take it seriously just like VF & Tekken. :)

Darrell

Oh another thing I would change is whoever is responsible for animating the kicks. Besides Rig, most of the kick animations in DOA have always looked strange. I would also put more variety in the move list. The move list looks long, but they are pretty much the same several animations over and over again.

SilverKhaos

I'd certainly change ranked so the only character options are random or blind choice and the stage selection would always be random. 3 rounds, normal life and no time would also be standard.

I'd also severely tone down the T&A (well, the T at least, DOA doesn't have much A to begin with) and the push the new redesign even further, especially working on improving hair and cloth physics.

I'd also really like to see the return of a typical arcade mode with the story contained within that with CGI endings and all that jazz, so I suppose I'd revert the series back to that rather than DOA5's bizarre (and, to me, terrible) story mode and bland arcade trials.

I won't lie. I'd also laugh at people flipping out at how the game sucks, should they remove the concept of launchers and juggling. "You mean I have to work for each hit?! Now this game sucks!"

I also keep the timer on infinite. Hate when the round times out just as things are getting good, because I love to draw things out.

ScattereDreams

-Enhanced training mode.
It's almost similar to VF5FS, but in VF you can set the CPU til where they can either do a attack or throw in certain situations. I'd almost make it so we can set the computer to do a specific string/attack. Having to record and then replay strings gets annoying.

Allow players to buffer throw escapes while blocking. I also wish they'd focus on balancing the game >.<. I'd throw in more stages, and customization mode, because for some reason they still can get costume management right.. I'd make it so we could change language settings for individual characters instead of the entire cast. Lastly, I'd hire whoever worked on the OST for Tekken Tag Tournament 2. God knows that game has the OST of the year for fighting games.

I'd also lessen the invulnerability frames on wake up attacks. My Sarah's 8F+K hop kick was beat out 3 times against a low wake up kick... That would never happen in FS.

I'm aware of the presence (prevalence) of hit boxes in fighting games. What I do not know is, if it's this massive box, that extends well outside the visible character model. The type of box reminiscent of the those old fighting games. I too, find it distracting. I had to learn not to attempt to strike my opponents' body, but instead strike the area in front of them.

d3v

I'm aware of the presence (prevalence) of hit boxes in fighting games. What I do not know is, if it's this massive box, that extends well outside the visible character model. The type of box reminiscent of the those old fighting games. I too, find it distracting. I had to learn not to attempt to strike my opponents' body, but instead strike the area in front of them.
We honestly won't find out until someone figures out how to get the hitbox data for the game.

DR2K

Jumping attacks beating lows cleanly should be universal.

Character balance, the engine itself is mostly fine. Everyone should have tools to be succesful in DOA5.

Ace Flibble

Hitboxes are more of a 2D, sprite-based game thing. 3D fighting games use the animation skeleton instead. This is why if you go into the watch mode and freeze the action you'll often see attacks hitting even though the character's hand is half a foot away from the opponent's face, while other times characters' limbs will clip right through each other without anything counting as connecting. It looks bizarre at first, but you do get used to it and it means that no characters get an advantage or disadvantage just because of the way they're designed, unlike sprite-based games where a character's design can give them a much longer range or make them an easier target just because they were drawn with a very puffy coat or something silly like that.

d3v

Hitboxes are more of a 2D, sprite-based game thing. 3D fighting games use the animation skeleton instead. This is why if you go into the watch mode and freeze the action you'll often see attacks hitting even though the character's hand is half a foot away from the opponent's face, while other times characters' limbs will clip right through each other without anything counting as connecting. It looks bizarre at first, but you do get used to it and it means that no characters get an advantage or disadvantage just because of the way they're designed, unlike sprite-based games where a character's design can give them a much longer range or make them an easier target just because they were drawn with a very puffy coat or something silly like that.
Actually, 3D games like DOA and Tekken also use hitboxes. In fact, I recall an article over at DOA World explaining how crushes are determined by hitboxes.

And speaking of a character's design giving longer range in a 3D fighter, need I remind folks of Soul Calibur.

Ace Flibble

Boundry boxes =/= hitboxes. It's a common misconception but there is a difference. And range in Soulcalibur only alters with weapon models and a few specific animations which extend reach (in all instances in line with the animation skeleton, as it so happens, at least as of SCV); the actual characters' ranges are all the same.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD