What would you change about DOA?

synce

?? Juggles are juggles... The only difference between DOA and other fighters is in DOA you can do something stupid and still counter your way out of a potential juggle, but fortunately that's changing with unholdable stuns.

Julius Rage

I'd take out electric fence bounces and floor danger zones.

Also I'd make Rita (Julie Benz) from Dexter a DLC character - her attacks would be primarily based around throwing her kids at you and moaning in that real sexy way only Rita can.

SilverKhaos

@ Kritoth: I like no. 1. I'm not fond of taking DH out of DOA, like you suggested in no. 2. You would be eliminating expert and advanced holds in the process. This would hurt quite a few players. 3 is interesting but... If the first hit doesn't cause an unholdable-stun the second would have to be variable for your suggestion to be anything truly different than what we have now -- unless I misunderstood your post. Whether you like them or not juggles are here to stay. They are good way to provide guaranteed damage without risking a reversal. Let's just hope they don't turn into Tekken or -- even worse -- VF juggles. Standing low guard sounds nice, but, I don't see a way to implement it that's fair. If we can press block and guard against high, mid and low attacks how do we break through someone's defense without grabbing them? In martial arts those forms of low defense you referred to are more akin to parries or sabakis. Using your shin to defend against a low attack is typically done to lessen damage.

I would still love to see a game that plays like DOA, only without juggles. I know a lot of people lose their shit at the thought of a fighter without juggles, I but I really think it would work.

Yaguar

I would still love to see a game that plays like DOA, only without juggles. I know a lot of people lose their shit at the thought of a fighter without juggles, I but I really think it would work.

Find me a couple of other people who'd be willing to do bits at weekends and I can find out for you.

Kritoth

OldsmoBuick said: ↑

@ Kritoth: I like no. 1. I'm not fond of taking DH out of DOA, like you suggested in no. 2. You would be eliminating expert and advanced holds in the process. This would hurt quite a few players. 3 is interesting but... If the first hit doesn't cause an unholdable-stun the second would have to be variable for your suggestion to be anything truly different than what we have now -- unless I misunderstood your post. Whether you like them or not juggles are here to stay. They are good way to provide guaranteed damage without risking a reversal. Let's just hope they don't turn into Tekken or -- even worse -- VF juggles. Standing low guard sounds nice, but, I don't see a way to implement it that's fair. If we can press block and guard against high, mid and low attacks how do we break through someone's defense without grabbing them? In martial arts those forms of low defense you referred to are more akin to parries or sabakis. Using your shin to defend against a low attack is typically done to lessen damage.

I am simply brainstorming ideas around. I take no offense at people calling me out on my ideas as I invited it.
I fully expect the majority to react strongly to what I suggest.

2. The idea is of removing DH's and would not to be to remove advanced holds, only negate the damage these holds do. One could then use advanced holds to add damage but it would require precision. (Think of them as clinch's that lead to attacks.)

3. All the stuns would start at the first hit and be critical stuns.

4. True. However if DOA wants to make itself stand out it evaluate what it can do better/different than Tekken/SC/MK, etc...

5. It's not a deal breaker at all, would be nice to see a way to implement though.

Raansu

Wrestling games dont have juggles

Boxing games dont have juggles

MMA games dont have juggles

Go play one of those instead of trying to change the core of every arcade 3D fighter.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I'd make Rita (Julie Benz) from Dexter a DLC character - her attacks would be primarily based around throwing her kids at you and moaning in that real sexy way only Rita can.
I've just started watching Dexter, and this made me lol.

tnzk

Not that I'm actively encouraging the notion, but I was thinking about that the other day. Would be fascinating if they could somehow implement a non-juggle system. Wouldn't know the first way how though.

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
I'd balance the character better. There are either really good character or really bad ones no in between at all it seems to me :(. I'd also upgrade the sidestep machanic :)

SilverKhaos

Not that I'm actively encouraging the notion, but I was thinking about that the other day. Would be fascinating if they could somehow implement a non-juggle system. Wouldn't know the first way how though.

Same way it is now, just...minus launchers.

prototypetom

a more casual one.

i'd like to be able to blacklist costumes like you can blacklist characters and levels from random. i've bought all the dlc and i've picked up a few I'd rather not have to cycle past. (for example, pack away the xmas ones which don't seem such a good idea any more :mad: )

dawnbringer

Give people proper frame data. What the hell is -8...on hit? I look at the frame data of some characters like *cough* Kasumi *cough* and my eyes burn. I understand having unsafe moves but like wtf? -8 on hit? Seriously? I just landed a hit and not only do I have to block but I can be throw punished for it?

Negative frame advantage on hit is either to make you commit to a string, or to discourage some uses. For example, if a move is designed for counter hitting, has great range or evasion, stun or launch on counter hit, it can be negative on normal hit to compensate for that.

I am simply brainstorming ideas around. I take no offense at people calling me out on my ideas as I invited it.I fully expect the majority to react strongly to what I suggest.
2. The idea is of removing DH's and would not to be to remove advanced holds, only negate the damage these holds do. One could then use advanced holds to add damage but it would require precision. (Think of them as clinch's that lead to attacks.)
3. All the stuns would start at the first hit and be critical stuns.
4. True. However if DOA wants to make itself stand out it evaluate what it can do better/different than Tekken/SC/MK, etc...
5. It's not a deal breaker at all, would be nice to see a way to implement though.
2) Interesting...

3) I think we already have this one.

5) Agreed.

Tekken 6's / Tag 2's juggles are far worse. VF5FS's juggles are perfect the way they are <3 5R's were friggin hilarious though.
I haven't played Final Showdown, so I'll have to take your word for it. All versions of VF that I have played, involved launching an opponent, then doing a series of pokes to keep them aloft.

I say again, if someone 'doesn't like juggles' the juggles that have typified VF for the bulk of it's iterations will be most unpleasant. 'If someone doesn't like juggles', seeing a series of jabs, crouching jabs, crouching kicks and the like, will be an unwelcome addition to their fighting game experience.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD