Which DOA girl is the best feminist model ?

Argentus

I agree, her personality is pretty dry. I wish that she had more edge to make her more interesting as a character. The fair maiden cliche has been done to death already.
Unfortunately that's about the extent of Japans interest in women, so they'll always be there and the most popular.

TLEE SAID THIS:

Unfortunately that's about the extent of Japans interest in women, so they'll always be there and the most popular.
I disagree. The other females all have their quirks and are fairly engaging with their unique backstories (Kasumi being a runaway ninja, Ayane's father and relationship with Kasumi, Helena's relationship to Fame Douglas, the birth of Ein, creation of Kasumi clones instead of Hayabusa clones, etc.). Kokoro's relevancy is being Helena's half sister. Other than that, her goal is to be a geisha... in the 21st century. Also, like Jann Lee, her reason in entering the DOA tournaments isn't as clear-cut as everyone else. If they had expanded upon the relationship between her and Helena in the campaign, Kokoro would have had an opportunity in being a complex character. But no, TN squandered it and made her comic relief instead.

In relation to the thread, Kokoro doesn't fit the feminist quota because she's a half-baked ditz.

Xernuht

Also, like Jann Lee, her reason in entering the DOA tournaments isn't as clear-cut as everyone else.

Jann Lee follows the same character archetype as Ryu and Akira: he joins in the tournaments to prove his strength. That's why he gets all upset when Rig doesn't participate in the fifth tournament: he didn't get his runback after the fight in the bar earlier, so how can he really be the best?

lotr9690

OMG I love this topic!

Obviously I would have to say Helena - but before I begin... Remember Helena in the volleyball games:
tumblr_mjyjoicUk21qcwyxho1_500.gif
I felt she was most relatable along with Ayane... as far as not being a morning person. Who the hell wants to wake up early on a vacation?

Anyway, this topic is the reason that I like to play this game, actually. Up until DOA5 the personalities of the female cast were strong - over the top, and dramatic haha - but strong. They have always had an objective; a goal that was entertaining to watch the characters try and achieve. This is also true of the male characters. Sure, the storylines were outlandish and anime-ish but that was intentional and the story mode gave the characters a sense of unity and progress which is unique in fighting games. It gave us a chance to see the characters interacting with eachother.

Helena - It's great to see a woman in a leadership role in video games. Her DOA4 Ending however was disappointing, in my opinion. I understand it had to be dramatic but... she essentially cracked under pressure -- but that's not important. Overall, it's great to see her in a leadership role. They should really rethink her business attire, though. She should be wearing more sheer chiffon blouses and less boob holes (I'm looking at you, Costume 3!). I should work for TN. I know what looks sexy and commands power.

Mila - Mila is what Hitomi should have been. She doesn't really care too much about her appearance (Hitomi doesn't just wake up with that front fringe) not to mention all that hair thinning and stuff). When Mila was first revealed I found it funny that people suspected she was a lesbian because of the plaid and overall appearance. I'm not saying that she is or isn't, or that it would even matter! It just made me laugh, is all. Plus she doesn't have some lame, cutesy crush on Hayate. Instead, she idolizes and wants to be like the strongest, fiercest fighter, Bass. Her almost palpable disinterest in Tina is a plus.

Tina - I hate her. But she's awesome. It's actually a compliment that I hate her. It's no big deal really.

End of Part One: The happy list.

I don't want this to be confrontational. I'm just giving my opinion. If you love Lisa, Rachel, Honoka, or Kokoro don't read on. I’m hoping not to illicit many replies. If you feel any rage from this (OMG lol I hope not) just PM me because I don’t want to disrupt the vibe because…

This next list is of the four characters, all of which, challenge my view of a strong female character.

Lisa - Lisa... I like her character; I'm a Lisa fan. I'm not sure if she's a fully strong character. She seems to be capricious, manipulative and a competent fictional scientist. But... they don't give Lisa enough on-air time. She seems really in the background from story mode to DLC. Her absence in DOA's universe makes her look like a "Look at us! She's non-white; non-Asian!" character. I'm not trying to be insensitive. YES I know aboutProject Epsilonand her involvement.That's great but there's only so much you can infer from that. Yes, she's supposed to be "mysterious"... seems a little convenient; so they don't have to flesh her out as a person. Instead many of her outfits exoticize her (leopard print, peacock feathers, weird bird feathers) which the audience is supposed to infer that she is from South America. Honestly, I'm not trying to sound severe... if they would just include her moreI would shut the hell up.

Rachel – I love that Rachel is in DOA. She’s absolutely stunning. It feels more complete with Rachel (and Momiji). Her participation in NG series however… not so great. Mainly her debut in NG the reboot on Xbox. She’s soooo strong. And yet she became Ryu’s little damsel; I blame that douche Doku but also Itagaki or whichever writer wrote the arc where the “strong” demon slayer becomes Ryu’s goal. Lame. LAME. I still like her though. It’s not Rachel’s fault the writers and Doku got together to create a boring and silly story for her. I’m cool with Alma though. DLC character? Yes. Just yes. Tag team win pose.

Honoka – I mean… it’s not even about her really uninspired, immature, waifu-pandering appearance. If she was portrayed as a competent, unique, genuinely funny, quirky, decent, presentable character… on a basic human level then it would be a different story. But, alas! She is what she is. Also, Ayane got gypped; she deserves a better half-sister than Honoka. Unless Honoka’s secret power is that she’s a different character in DOA6. Which would be great. Current Honoka fans could smugly tell the rest of us “See? Told-ya-so,” we’d all be like “OK,” and all would be right with the world.

Kokoro – I saved the most insidious one for last (sorry Kokoro fans; it’s nothing against you).

Please note that I am very familiar with Japanese culture (Japanese resident).

Kokoro is the yamato nadeshiko. For those of you who don’t already know yamato nadeshiko, here are some synonym phrases: Good wife, wise mother; ideal Japanese woman; pure femininity; a woman with “good” traits. It’s an aesthetic as well. Large eyes, round face… Kokoro basically, sans the giant breasts. There is a ton of subtext connected with Kokoro’s character because of this. Many of these characteristics overlap with her geisha traits and subtext.

It’s safe to say that Kokoro can be approached with a list of traditional Japanese values that a perfect Japanese woman is thought to have: submissive “as a little dog,” to her betters which would include most men. She’s so cute that you want to pet her. Sure, she’s strong but quietly strong. To reveal her strength is dubious. And that's where I will stop. I don't like quietly strong. I want proud and strong. This is a fighting game. I know there is a shit ton more about yamato but it is a very complex social/aesthetic set of values. I’m not a fan of YN kind of characters. Again, I know they are aiming for an audience. I don’t really need an explanation for the character. I know why she’s in the game. I know why she doesn’t seem to have much of a personality other than being “cooperative” (I think that’s the most diplomatic as I can put it lol). I’m not saying she’s evil. I just don’t see her performance as a strong one. In DOAD she helped Kasumi out so that the audience could see her being motherly – and it was a bro - move. Kasumi forgot to fist bump and be like “bro. Have you seen my bro?”

I think I’ve spent enough time on the YN thing. There’s more about her and the YN. I just don’t want to go into it. I’m boring myself… lol

In closing, I think Helena, Mila and Tina all best embody my view of a strong, competent portrayal of a DOA female character.

And if you read this whole thing, thanks for reading!

Argentus

OMG I love this topic!

Obviously I would have to say Helena - but before I begin... Remember Helena in the volleyball games:
I felt she was most relatable along with Ayane... as far as not being a morning person. Who the hell wants to wake up early on a vacation?

Anyway, this topic is the reason that I like to play this game, actually. Up until DOA5 the personalities of the female cast were strong - over the top, and dramatic haha - but strong. They have always had an objective; a goal that was entertaining to watch the characters try and achieve. This is also true of the male characters. Sure, the storylines were outlandish and anime-ish but that was intentional and the story mode gave the characters a sense of unity and progress which is unique in fighting games. It gave us a chance to see the characters interacting with eachother.

Helena - It's great to see a woman in a leadership role in video games. Her DOA4 Ending however was disappointing, in my opinion. I understand it had to be dramatic but... she essentially cracked under pressure -- but that's not important. Overall, it's great to see her in a leadership role. They should really rethink her business attire, though. She should be wearing more sheer chiffon blouses and less boob holes (I'm looking at you, Costume 3!). I should work for TN. I know what looks sexy and commands power.

Mila - Mila is what Hitomi should have been. She doesn't really care too much about her appearance (Hitomi doesn't just wake up with that front fringe) not to mention all that hair thinning and stuff). When Mila was first revealed I found it funny that people suspected she was a lesbian because of the plaid and overall appearance. I'm not saying that she is or isn't, or that it would even matter! It just made me laugh, is all. Plus she doesn't have some lame, cutesy crush on Hayate. Instead, she idolizes and wants to be like the strongest, fiercest fighter, Bass. Her almost palpable disinterest in Tina is a plus.

Tina - I hate her. But she's awesome. It's actually a compliment that I hate her. It's no big deal really.

I don't want this to be confrontational. I'm just giving my opinion. If you love Lisa, Rachel, Honoka, or Kokoro don't read on. I’m hoping not to illicit many replies. If you feel any rage from this (OMG lol I hope not) just PM me because I don’t want to disrupt the vibe because…

This next list is of the four characters, all of which, challenge my view of a strong female character.

Lisa - Lisa... I like her character; I'm a Lisa fan. I'm not sure if she's a fully strong character. She seems to be capricious, manipulative and a competent fictional scientist. But... they don't give Lisa enough on-air time. She seems really in the background from story mode to DLC. Her absence in DOA's universe makes her look like a "Look at us! She's non-white; non-Asian!" character. I'm not trying to be insensitive. YES I know aboutProject Epsilonand her involvement.That's great but there's only so much you can infer from that. Yes, she's supposed to be "mysterious"... seems a little convenient; so they don't have to flesh her out as a person. Instead many of her outfits exoticize her (leopard print, peacock feathers, weird bird feathers) which the audience is supposed to infer that she is from South America. Honestly, I'm not trying to sound severe... if they would just include her moreI would shut the hell up.

Rachel – I love that Rachel is in DOA. She’s absolutely stunning. It feels more complete with Rachel (and Momiji). Her participation in NG series however… not so great. Mainly her debut in NG the reboot on Xbox. She’s soooo strong. And yet she became Ryu’s little damsel; I blame that douche Doku but also Itagaki or whichever writer wrote the arc where the “strong” demon slayer becomes Ryu’s goal. Lame. LAME. I still like her though. It’s not Rachel’s fault the writers and Doku got together to create a boring and silly story for her. I’m cool with Alma though. DLC character? Yes. Just yes. Tag team win pose.

Honoka – I mean… it’s not even about her really uninspired, immature, waifu-pandering appearance. If she was portrayed as a competent, unique, genuinely funny, quirky, decent, presentable character… on a basic human level then it would be a different story. But, alas! She is what she is. Also, Ayane got gypped; she deserves a better half-sister than Honoka. Unless Honoka’s secret power is that she’s a different character in DOA6. Which would be great. Current Honoka fans could smugly tell the rest of us “See? Told-ya-so,” we’d all be like “OK,” and all would be right with the world.

Kokoro – I saved the most insidious one for last (sorry Kokoro fans; it’s nothing against you).

Kokoro is the yamato nadeshiko. For those of you who don’t already know yamato nadeshiko, here are some synonym phrases: Good wife, wise mother; ideal Japanese woman; pure femininity; a woman with “good” traits. It’s an aesthetic as well. Large eyes, round face… Kokoro basically, sans the giant breasts. There is a ton of subtext connected with Kokoro’s character because of this. Many of these characteristics overlap with her geisha traits and subtext.

It’s safe to say that Kokoro can be approached with a list of traditional Japanese values that a perfect Japanese woman is thought to have: submissive “as a little dog,” to her betters which would include most men. She’s so cute that you want to pet her. Sure, she’s strong but quietly strong. To reveal her strength is dubious. And that's where I will stop. I don't like quietly strong. I want proud and strong. This is a fighting game. I know there is a shit ton more about yamato but it is a very complex social/aesthetic set of values. I’m not a fan of YN kind of characters. Again, I know they are aiming for an audience. I don’t really need an explanation for the character. I know why she’s in the game. I know why she doesn’t seem to have much of a personality other than being “cooperative” (I think that’s the most diplomatic as I can put it lol). I’m not saying she’s evil. I just don’t see her performance as a strong one. In DOAD she helped Kasumi out so that the audience could see her being motherly – and it was a bro - move. Kasumi forgot to fist bump and be like “bro. Have you seen my bro?”

I think I’ve spent enough time on the YN thing. There’s more about her and the YN. I just don’t want to go into it. I’m boring myself… lol

In closing, I think Helena, Mila and Tina all best embody my view of a strong, competent portrayal of a DOA female character.

Lol agreed on all of em and I love how you described Honoka.

Also....I love how you mentioned milas "palpable disinterest in Tina" because that falls back on how they throw miles original characterization out the window. In story mode she is explicitly only excited because shes meeting Bass' daughter, and does not give a shit about Tina herself, while in like...tag teams and fandom they are besties lol.

Also I forever despise Tina for Bass' doa3 ending. I don't give a shit if you don't get along, you DO NOT LEAVE YOUR OWN FATHER STRANDED IN THE DESERT HEAT. Or anyone else for that matter. This is why I see her as a self absorbed cunt. Sorry Tina fans.

And yeah kokoro and Lisa....kokoro is the rare example where I LIKE the character change. She went from bland to mildly interesting as a ditz.

lotr9690

Also....I love how you mentioned milas "palpable disinterest in Tina" because that falls back on how they throw miles original characterization out the window. In story mode she is explicitly only excited because shes meeting Bass' daughter, and does not give a shit about Tina herself, while in like...tag teams and fandom they are besties lol.

Also I forever despise Tina for Bass' doa3 ending. I don't give a shit if you don't get along, you DO NOT LEAVE YOUR OWN FATHER STRANDED IN THE DESERT HEAT. Or anyone else for that matter. This is why I see her as a self absorbed cunt. Sorry Tina fans.

And yeah kokoro and Lisa....kokoro is the rare example where I LIKE the character change. She went from bland to mildly interesting as a ditz.
LOL! Thank you for reading my giant post. I definitely owe you one for that :)

And OH MY GOSH I forgot about Tina leaving Bass in the desert. That's messed up. Haha. That's your dad, dude.
Code:
https://youtu.be/tPgKlgQdQKE?t=2m53s

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

OMG I love this topic!

I just love what you wrote. So true, especially the part about Kokoro. And your opinion about Lisa is quite solid too. Thanks for sharing!

PS : about Mila, I do hope they will give her more screen time with Bass in the future, La Mariposa is Tina's true BFF.

lotr9690

I just love what you wrote. So true, especially the part about Kokoro. And your opinion about Lisa is quite solid too. Thanks for sharing!

PS : about Mila, I do hope they will give her more screen time with Bass in the future, La Mariposa is Tina's true BFF.
Thank you! And I really enjoyed reading this thread and your thoughts :)
I'm so pleased people are reading it! I'm always worried that people will think I'm severe but I'm glad people can see that I really do LOVE playing DOA. I hope that DOA6 (and/or DOAX3?) will be more story heavy.
Thanks again @KwonJigglypuff :)

saikyom

kasumi "great personality,determination,sens of justice,...
kokoro : she does baji quan, she make a perfect wife.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor

by the end of her story they are actually shown getting along very well. she was initially star struck by the thought of meeting Bass, but she got over that when she and Tina became the stars of the show. you're projecting a bit much there

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Momiji

Gentle
Loyal Friend
Respectful
Children love her
Protective
Works Hard

Momiji would be like the best mother. She knows when to be gentle/kind but also knows when to put her foot down.

Argentus

by the end of her story they are actually shown getting along very well. she was initially star struck by the thought of meeting Bass, but she got over that when she and Tina became the stars of the show. you're projecting a bit much there
The relationship came across more as mutual/professional respect than anything else, to me. By the end of the story, it was still Mila simply being a Bass fan, while Tina appreciated Milas enthusiasm for fighting, which pulled her out of her funk.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I'm going with all the older women of DOA: Helena, Christie, Tina, and Lisa. Why? Helena is in a leadership role, Christie is a renowned assassin, Tina is the living American Dream, and Lisa is skilled at being a scientist while also being a luchadora. It's clear that the older women in DOA are the best feminist models, because they all have traits where they exude confidence, are unafraid of their sex appeal, and believe in their causes.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Based on the conversations from above, I'd say...
Helena, Mila, Tina, Lisa, Christie, Rachel, (probably) Momiji, and Nyotengu.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD