"You can't defeat me." -Kasumi

Sixmsj

What's the gameplan on Gen Fu? It seems like he out-prioritizes everything and can actually hit Kasumi from the free canceled pokes. Any match I've won against a decent Gen Fu has been me 'being on the offensive' successfully 7 or so times compared to Gen Fu's needed 3. Once he gets his poke strings going, it's hard to counter poke him. I've been trying different pokes and only P seems to do anything.

Allan Paris

They are both tough up close. What she has over him is a better mid range game. You work that and her close range game you'll beat him. Now in 5 her 6P is just as strong as his so that makes it a little harder for him to go through her stuff up close. Now you just have to worry about his parries and crushes. Him out poking her is not happening.

The next thing you need to learn, you have to do on your own. That is getting familiar with his strings and what his strings do on block and hit. Then learn which strings that different Gen Fu players lean toward the most. Holding him isn't too hard because of his straight forward moveset, but your timing needs to be pretty good. A good Gen Fu will slow walk you all day and speed up here and there to throw off your hold timing. Since he has a couple strings that are highly used it shouldn't be to recognize them. Just that picking up on a another players cadence with him will be the tough part.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
They are both tough up close. What she has over him is a better mid range game. You work that and her close range game you'll beat him. Now in 5 her 6P is just as strong as his so that makes it a little harder for him to go through her stuff up close. Now you just have to worry about his parries and crushes. Him out poking her is not happening.

The next thing you need to learn, you have to do on your own. That is getting familiar with his strings and what his strings do on block and hit. Then learn which strings that different Gen Fu players lean toward the most. Holding him isn't too hard because of his straight forward moveset, but your timing needs to be pretty good. A good Gen Fu will slow walk you all day and speed up here and there to throw off your hold timing. Since he has a couple strings that are highly used it shouldn't be to recognize them. Just that picking up on a another players cadence with him will be the tough part.
Also, You can give some space against him & if he whiffs, you could use :4::H+K: or :9::K: as whiff punishment, but you have to have the right amount of spacing to do it.
Edit: :6::6::P: as punishment too. Those 3. :9::K: also works good against Brad Wong whenever he tries to do ground attacks. Again though, that right amount of space is crucial because if you don't, you'll be left vunerable.

Sixmsj

Thanks, I think the best course of action is to follow your advice and also learn Gen Fu on the side to figure him out from his point of view.

Dallas1088

This might sound amazingly scrubby, but I have a hell of a time fighting a decent Lisa with Kasumi. Lisa's 1P is such a great poke, that it seems like she can easily space Kasumi out, where then I'd have to take risks to get in. I dunno, I feel like Kasumi's lack of range (IMO, at least), gives her trouble with any character who can play a strong keepaway game :-/

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Lisa is limited on moves & she's really slow. Good ones tend to space Kasumi out & then get you to whiff. Try to get in her face & run her down. Be careful of her whiff punishment attack where she does a missile launch when running at her & her ground attacks (the slide &mainly her breakdance kick. Well at least that's what I like to call it lol), use:7::P:or:9::P+K: to avoid it. She uses either her diving missile launch when running towards her, side step her & make her pay for it. What :9::P+K: does when she does a breakdance move on the ground is jump over her head & she's left open for an attack.

When she does the "baseball slide" move, you could use :9::K: as a punish move.

Now once, you get up close, you have to string together good combos & mix-ups to avoid being predictable.

x Sypher x

I fucking hate fighting Gen Fu lol. There's this one guy name Buddha that plays him and he annoys the shit out of me, he practically shits out mixups.

Dallas1088

I'm still having issues getting spaced out... by anyone really. Walking backwards is like Kasumi's worst enemy in this game. I feel like I'm at a complete loss against defensive opponents, and if I take a risk to get in I'm risking some decent punishment.

I've been trying to use :6::P::K: and :6::P::2::K: to footsie opponent's, but that only goes so far. Her lack of range is killing me :(

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'm still having issues getting spaced out... by anyone really. Walking backwards is like Kasumi's worst enemy in this game. I feel like I'm at a complete loss against defensive opponents, and if I take a risk to get in I'm risking some decent punishment.

I've been trying to use :6::P::K: and :6::P::2::K: to footsie opponent's, but that only goes so far. Her lack of range is killing me :(
Add my PSN & whenever I get back on there after I get done training on 360, I'll see if I can work with you. I'm still learning myself about how to defend against other characters, but I can help you with what I know bruh. Or GT which ever 1 you're on.

Murakame

Can I have some tips vs. Helena, Jann Lee, and christie? Every competent helena i have faced is low 90 percent of the time so my highs miss, and for whatever reason some of my mids miss as well. As for Jann Lee and Christie these two don't respect my pressure at all.

kerokun

Same issue I am facing here. I feel Kasumi has no good options against them, unlike Ayane who has 236K or Hitomi who has 236P. Any tips against defensive players that space Kasumi?

kerokun

Since you are playing in lag it will be hard to deal with the problems you are coming across. I don't know what problems you are having specifically with Kokoro so I can't really tell you anything. For Hayate's cartwheel kick you have many ways of defending against it. You can parry it, hold it, SS, or throw punish it if it is free cancelled. The low sweep cannot be delayed as much as it was in DOA4, so if it doesn't come right after the mid kick, throw him. But since you are playing in lag you really can't properly deal with that setup that is being done to you.

For Brad Wong it will be difficult to hit him in his laying down stance but you have moves to get him out of it. 2P, 9K, 1P, 66F+K (use this only at range when approaching him on the ground), she has other lows that will hit him but you want to stick to quick moves. You will get counter blown (launched) being too slow to hit him out of it, so be aware of that.

Unless the mid is a true mid you are not going to pick Brad Wong up off the ground from his laying down stance.

If you have anymore questions on character match-ups, ask in the character match up thread: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/you-cant-defeat-me-kasumi.1326/

Thanks AP for the tips. Reposted here.

As for Kokoro, I was mainly having problems with her 6P and 66P elbow spam (no recovery time?!) and low kick mix-ups. But last night I found out Kasumi's 1PP seems to go under her elbow attack, so perhaps there are options against her after all. That also means it was a high attack, and I'm been countering it wrong all this while. (-_-; )

That being said, I seen pro Kokoro players who start with an elbow, knocks you down, force tech you up and continue her combo or mixup. No chance to recover, rinse and repeat until you're toast. Scary. (0_0; )

Allan Paris

True, but he's got some nice things now. Even without OH, like you said, she has everything else. Which was even more useful with DOA4's mechanics.

His handstand transition from laying down is the only new trick and that is a different stance all together. He is not doing anything new from his laying down stance. The moves that are used now to get up him up off the ground are doing the same thing in DOA5 that they were doing in DOA4. 6K didn't ground bounce him, it knocked him down, so is 9K. 66K sweeps him off the ground, so is 66F+K. 2P took him out of stance and it is still doing the same in 5 and the same thing with 1P. 7K was a singular hit in DOA4 and now when it is used you actually get follow ups.

There's nothing more useful about her options in DOA4 to get him off the ground than the options in 5. They're the same thing with the exception of 7K.

Thanks AP for the tips. Reposted here.As for Kokoro, I was mainly having problems with her 6P and 66P elbow spam (no recovery time?!) and low kick mix-ups. But last night I found out Kasumi's 1PP seems to go under her elbow attack, so perhaps there are options against her after all. That also means it was a high attack, and I'm been countering it wrong all this while. (-_-; )

You can SS the majority of Kokoro's moves, you don't have to stand there and take it. All moves have recovery, the main thing you need to find out is if the move is safe for you to punish it. Those 2 punches she is doing are safe but they are also linear, so SS them.

It would also help you to learn what Kokoro is doing exactly or at least have a general good idea on what she is doing. This way you can form a real defense against her. Kokoro isn't a big problem for Kasumi to handle.

Shinigamimatt

His handstand transition from laying down is the only new trick and that is a different stance all together. He is not doing anything new from his laying down stance. The moves that are used now to get up him up off the ground are doing the same thing in DOA5 that they were doing in DOA4. 6K didn't ground bounce him, it knocked him down, so is 9K. 66K sweeps him off the ground, so is 66F+K. 2P took him out of stance and it is still doing the same in 5 and the same thing with 1P. 7K was a singular hit in DOA4 and now when it is used you actually get follow ups.

There's nothing more useful about her options in DOA4 to get him off the ground than the options in 5. They're the same thing with the exception of 7K.

Knocked him down? I'm pretty sure depending on which way he lays down, Kasumi could put him in a deep stun with her 6K in DOA4. It might be only when he starts his stance maybe, but I know I had some options after it. Also, for his new stuff, I just mean some of his moves into his stance are better. When he lays down, he can hit you, which puts you at negatives if blocked.

Edit: Ok, just tried it. With his sleeping stance: Feet forward, 6K causes deep stun. Head forward causes a ground bounce.

Chaos

Leifang definitely because her annoying elbow can interrupt almost any of Kasumi's attacks. :mad:

Allan Paris

Knocked him down? I'm pretty sure depending on which way he lays down, Kasumi could put him in a deep stun with her 6K in DOA4. It might be only when he starts his stance maybe, but I know I had some options after it. Also, for his new stuff, I just mean some of his moves into his stance are better. When he lays down, he can hit you, which puts you at negatives if blocked.

Edit: Ok, just tried it. With his sleeping stance: Feet forward, 6K causes deep stun. Head forward causes a ground bounce.

Him transitioning into his stance was never the issue that was brought up. Him laying in his stance is the issue, and the solutions to deal with it.

Thats whats up on you going back to 4 to see what 6K did to him. In a nutshell it's pretty much the same thing in 5. In 4 you stun him and you're forced into a 50/50, and in 5 you knock him down and you are forced into a 50/50. Yeah, your other options was to OH him while he was laying there. Unless you were poking him out of it, that's same thing she is still doing to him now minus OH'ing him off the ground.

A good Brad player will not allow you to 9K him at close range. So don't do that move to him at close range when he's in his laying down stance. At range is when to use it.

Edit: Which attacks exactly are putting you at a negative on block while he's in laying down stance? That doesn't sound right.

Shinigamimatt

Him transitioning into his stance was never the issue that was brought up. Him laying in his stance is the issue, and the solutions to deal with it.

Thats whats up on you going back to 4 to see what 6K did to him. In a nutshell it's pretty much the same thing in 5. In 4 you stun him and are forced into a 50/50, and in 5 you knock him down and you are forced into a 50/50. Yeah, your other options was to OH him while he was laying there. Unless you were poking him out of it, that's same thing she is still doing to him now minus OH'ing him off the ground.

A good Brad player will not allow you to 9K him at close range. So don't do that move to him at close range when he's in his laying down stance. At range is when to use it.

Edit: Which attacks exactly are putting you at a negative on block while he's in laying down stance? That doesn't sound right.
Yeah 9K isn't a good idea. The moves that put me at negative are his 236P and some other move. He basically falls down, but hits you with his back or elbow maybe. Don't know the move since I don't play him. He leans into you and it puts him in his lying down stance, but it's an attack.

Edit: they're both guard breaks if that seems right.

Shinigamimatt

Yeah, that's transitioning into his laying down stance not while he is in it.
Ahh, yeah, sorry. No he has no ones after his stance is complete. But compared to DOA4, that's a buff I have to be wary of. DOA4, if he even tried that stance, he lost right then and there.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD