"You can't defeat me." -Kasumi

Allan Paris

Unfortunately online Kasumi is not a speed demon. Her 11 frame mid is capable of being crushed by frigging Tina at Round 1 Fight. Tina. Not even a striker of equal speed. A grappler. It blows my mind.

Crush moves will crush her 11i mid. It has skin close range and if Tina or any character that has a crush that can buffered by 33 will go under her mid. 4P is another story, use that on her instead. It's a frame slower but it's against Tina so it doesn't really matter. .

Chaos

Crush moves will crush her 11i mid. It has skin close range and if Tina or any character that has a crush that can buffered by 33 will go under her mid. 4P is another story, use that on her instead. It's a frame slower but it's against Tina so it doesn't really matter. .
I love using her 4p for interrupting a mindness offense rusher and her 4pkk comes in handy as well but I prefer using that move
if I juggle my opponent in the air.

phoenix1985gr

Tinas 33P Crushes mids???? :confused: No Wonder every char i used bannana beat me lol (i thought it was the netcode)... But on the other hand With Kasumi 6p i was able to beat him every time... (i mean i played a lot games against him and he usually started with 33p or a throw... Leis 6p lost, kokoros 66p lost ayanes 6p lost (ok that is slower though since tinas 33p is 12f right?) but with kasumi i would win every time...

Edit:
Maybe it doesnt crush but it wins other 12f because of more dmg?

Allan Paris

Outside of Zack, Jann Lee, Gen Fu, and Pai no one else is matching or beating Kasumi's mid punch round 1 fight. If you are beating Tina's crushing punch round 1 fight then at times you are not, go into sparring offline and find out why. It could be that she is crushing you legitamately or you could be beating her out legitamately.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Thanks again! I hope I'm not being such a problem for you D:
I got a conclusion: "Don't get Lisa get away from you, don't play the distance game, you're not gonna win it".
6PK and 1P are your best Allies. Also I tried to use 6P2K, which also works. Also the players I met like to turtle a lot, so 3P and 2T are pretty devastating to them.
Her moves from afar ( The baseball kick and the "drop kick") and sidestepable, but her recovery from them is pretty fast, so the stun from the SS Punch/Kick, wouldn't last long.
The move that Murakame aka Tenryuga told you about is good for closing in. It has 4 options: 3P+K, 3P+KP 3P+KT, & 3P+KK or KK..... I recommend that you use the 1st 3 I called out because they all 3 work better in general than the 3P+KK or KK.... I use those 3. The throw is for ppl who sit & turtle in mid range while the P is a poke... But all of them closes in. You can just use 3P+K by itself to close in

Also, if they are whiffing, 66P is your best option for whiff punishment then, because it puts them in a stun you could follow up with 8K PKK7K 6P+KKK (6P+KP) or 8K KK7K 6P+KKK (or same option with 6P+KP)

If you see a move like her slide, then use 9K. If its off Hi Counter, then you can use 9K 4PKK. Then 9K bounces on hi counter.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Yo! I was in the lab testing Mila's takedowns. 66T can be fuzz guarded & then you can throw her TD with 1T but timing has to be on point.. But when you fuzz guard, make sure you're blocking. Also, 66T, on her wake up you can do the same. For those who didn't know that.

Allan Paris

I don't know how you are having trouble with him exactly. What is going on, "This guy is a monster" is not enough information. I can say that Kasumi has never had any problems with him and since he no longer gets guaranteed pick ups I don't know what he is doing now to stop her offense.

ErickBello

^Sorry, the problem no longer there, tried to maintain an offense on him and worked. But In some cases he throw punished my 2P, which I found very strange.

Murakame

^Sorry, the problem no longer there, tried to maintain an offense on him and worked. But In some cases he throw punished my 2P, which I found very strange.

If it was a low throw then it was either a glitch or u were holding crouch block. If it was a standing throw that was on you lmao because you held block when you didn't need to. You have no reason to not attack after a 2P on Bass that guy is ultra slow. But yeah always remember against him you must be aggressive. Always remember that Kasumi is not a defensive character. There are times when she will have to defend but for the most part you need to be able to pressure and open your opponent up if you want wins.

extravagant

Umm, how do you counter against Zack's kicks? Those super fast low kicks. I tried guessing every counter and it didnt work. is it not counter holdable?

Allan Paris

Umm, how do you counter against Zack's kicks? Those super fast low kicks. I tried guessing every counter and it didnt work. is it not counter holdable?

Learn and recognize what hit level they are hitting you at and then learn hold to them. You can easily take him into sparring and do his moves if they are this big of a problem for you. No, they are not completely unholdable. If one (the first kick) manages to hit you the next 2 are guaranteed because the kick string (excluding the last kick) is a natural combo. If the kicks are slowed down at all then you can hold in between them hitting you. This only applies to his mid and low kick strings where quick consecutive kicks come out.

CBak4thewin

This thread is for discussing Kasumi's matchups against other characters. Who are the characters that do not put up a good fight against Kasumi and why? Who are the characters that are dead even with Kasumi and why? Who are the characters that give Kasumi a problem and what are the most effective ways around that character?

Hi Allan, my gamer tag on ps3 is bakerfest and I'm really trying to become beast with kasumi in do5. I mained her in doa4 and was pretty good, but I'm having a hard time learning how to really crush people with her. Is there anyway we can meet online and you can train me?

Nameless Sama

I dont have a problem against a character. I have a problem with my Kasumi. Everytime are my matches with her really exciting because I have always comeback matches ^^.

Allan Paris

Hi Allan, my gamer tag on ps3 is bakerfest and I'm really trying to become beast with kasumi in do5. I mained her in doa4 and was pretty good, but I'm having a hard time learning how to really crush people with her. Is there anyway we can meet online and you can train me?

Sure, I'll add you. I'll be playing the 1st of my last 3 tournaments for this game this Saturday. So if your free any time tomorrow or Sunday we can play a few and I can go over whatever you're having issues with.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I went into the lab to look at a few things of other character's best tools & found a few things. Some of them are worth mentioning since a lot of players aren't aware of what she has to deal with their tools in match ups. Mainly Momiji.

For Momiji, her safe tools like 3PP & PPPP are safe at -3, but if Kasumi parries (3H), then she is left at -7 with you being at +7, giving you launchers like 6P6K & 4PK. In her 9P transitions like PP8 44P8 3KP8 etc, Kasumi can launch with 4PK for a juggle. For her 9K, say what you want to, but 9K is arguably one of Momiji's best tools. It guarantees 66PP & 6PK due to the opponent not being able to slow escape in time to stop it. 9K is also -5 on block. However, when Kasumi parries it, she's a -9, giving you a guaranteed combo. Also, through her jumping transitions, her punches are coming out as highs. Once you parry them, she's -23, giving you 66K, 9K or a throw.

I haven't tested the ones with the kicks yet within the transitions.

For Christie, P+K & 66P stops her JAK coming in.

For Lisa, when she goes into her jumping or has her BT when in mid air, her 4P & 6P knocks her out of it. I can't think of the actual input of her jabs but they have the chopping animation. Her 4P goes under & interrupts the string.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Since this thread actually serves as a purpose for Kasumi's defense, I'll delete my last post to avoid double-posting & just post what I typed up on a document here for players pertaining to her defensive options:

66K & 66P are both her main whiff punishers that she uses along with her variants out in space (See Kasumi guide for variants & tutorial for idea range). Her idea range that she uses them is either within character's range or just right outside of character range. An example would be right at the start of the fight before any character begins moving (characters are allow to move at the beginning of the fight).

3P+K
is her gap closing tool. If you're completely out of range at any time, use 3P+K to close the gap, but be careful. Use good precision when using it. Some characters have the tendency to bait her into using it in order to whiff punish her.

Her normal parries are also extremely useful (3H & 9H). They grant her frame advantage. If she gains +7, then she gets guaranteed a combo. This is when you're up close, opponent is on the attack, & then you make a read on their moves. Be sure to go inside the lab with each character & test their important moves with the parries to see what Kasumi gets after them. Along with these are her expert mid kick hold, 46H, which gives her a free juggle combo opportunity (see combo thread for juggles).

5T – A neutral throw that comes out at 5 frames. Best used for moves that are -7 on block. Yes, they can throw break the throw, but it’s still a good option to keep your opponent in check to let them know that they’re not going to just use a semi-safe move. This exchange is well worth it.

6T – Her BnB punish throw. Any move that is unsafe (-8 or more), this is a go-to throw punish. This is extremely consistent if all else fails. Always use this throw. It comes out at 7 frames, which is relatively fast. 236T can be used in some situations to punish, but the move has to be horribly unsafe to the point that this or Hayabusa's Izuna Drop Throw could punish it. So stick to this punisher at all times, especially if you're a new player.

1T – Another go to throw for low throw punishment. It is guaranteed punishment as well as a juggle follow up. Make sure that you have a combo for this throw so that you take advantage of the situation

6P – 11 frame mid that crushes jabs of all characters, but must be done with precision. 6P also has a hitbox issue. So it may not be good a good idea to keep using it in a match against character whose hurtbox window generally isn’t affected by it.

8P – A mid that crushes lows. It is -5 on block.

4P – 12 frame mid that also possesses crush properties, ducking under some mids as well as highs. 4P also works when 6P isn’t good. In matches where 6P’s whiff is noticeable, replace it as 4P. 4P can also be used as a tool to whiff punish out in space whiff (if used correctly). It has decent enough reach to use in a certain range (See Kasumi’s tutorial in the guide for idea range or her match videos).

33P - A mid punch crush that launches on counter hit. So you have small juggling potential once this hits.

1P - A simple defensive counterpoking tool. It has taken some hits in recent patches, but it still serves for this purpose. Relatively slower than 2P however.

2P – A 12 frame low that instantly crushes highs & mids.

3K – 3K is -8 on block. While it’s not a tool that you would use to whiff punish with, it has decent reach in order to space with & catch opponents who attempt to run in on you in her idea range. It is also a move that keeps you out of throw range out in space, so you don’t have to worry about the majority of characters punishing it in that scenario except for grapplers (Tina, Bass, Leon, Bayman, Mila, etc).

6P6K – One of her state of the art strike punishes against moves that are unsafe on an opponent’s back turned. It’s a guaranteed punish that gives you a combo situation against moves that are -7 or more. You also add the 5 frames that it takes to recover from the back so even if it’s -7, it’s really -12 added together. Do the math. The opponent attempting to hit buttons after Kasumi blocks a move that is horribly unsafe leaving them in a back turn state will make things 10 times worse as her damage doubles. So even when they attempt to follow up after you block them on back turned, then this plays in your favor. Make sure that you have a consistent juggling combo to follow up with (See combo thread, preferably her BnB PKK7K 6P+K KK string for this tool). It works that same way for her parries.

4PK – 4PK is a strike punishment launcher just like 6P6K with the very same situations except for juggling potential & damage output. If you’re not consistent with 6P6K’s input, then stick to this. Just make sure that you take advantage of the juggling potential (see combo thread).

6PK – 6PK is guaranteed just like 4PK & 6P6K in every scenario. It also stops sidestepping move if they attempt it. If you feel that you need or want to take a risk & go for a mixup opportunity, then go for it. Just make sure that you weigh your options in this situation.

P+K/P6P - Simple move that stuffs sidestepping. Very useful scoring a counterhit going into your offense.

Examples of unsafe moves that leave opponents in back turned states for 6P6K, 7K, 6PK, & 4PK punishment.
  • Ayane: 3PP, 4P
  • Lei Fang: 33P+K
  • Hitomi: 4H+K
  • Ein: 4H+K
  • Rachel: 4H+K
  • Kokoro: 7K
Again, be sure to go into the lab & see what each character has that is unsafe & leaves them in a back turned state.

These are key defensive tools when using Kasumi. Learn them & go over them. They are key in each match up. Discuss anymore defensive tool that she has that you can utilize against other characters.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD