Any early netcode impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3v

doesn't change the fact that it sucks. I'd rather have a hiccup in my framerate than the game more-or-less lying to me. Again, hit confirming into a guaranteed super attack only to have the game "roll back" because of some odd desync problem, and now suddenly i'm doing a super against an opponent who's blocking and will be waiting for my super to finish to punish the shit out of me - c'mon, really?
I mean, c'mon.... Really?
If it were a proper implementation (Skullgirls, 3SOE, MvCO, HDR, MvC2) you could simply increase the fixed delay so it doesn't rollback as often.

A framerate hiccup screws up your muscle memory and makes stuff that works offline, not work online. In games where stuff has to be put in within single digit frame windows, this matters alot. I'd kill for rollback netcode in AE if it meant being able to consistently hit 1 frame links online.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I don't think I've ever played with this rollback system, so I have no opinion on it. I'd to try it out.

No. MK9 is terrible online for either console. It's basically unplayable for anyone who takes the game even halfway serious. I'd go as far as to say MK9 has the worst netcode I've played for a fighting game... ever. Granted, I haven't played every fighter, but it's worse than DOA4 and even Tekken 6 (pre-patch).

Agreed. Once I started to play the game better, online became harder and harder to play, until I just quit playing online completely. MK9 has the worst netcode of any fighter I've played. DOA4's netcode looks amazing in comparison.

Stikku

If I recall correctly, DOA4 actually had 3 different network systems.

1. When playing against an opponent with green to yellow connection, lag would cause the game to delay inputs
2. When playing against an opponent with yellow to red connection, lag would cause the game to actually run in slow-motion.
3. As a spectator watching an online match, if 2 wasn't visible, then a third spec-only algorithm was used, which would often have the characters skipping and jumping around from various motions and attacks. (much like traditional lag in other genres of games)

Orange Pork

Only so much a dev can do when there is so much inconsistency with peoples' internet connections.
That's still a lot. Compare DOA4 online to VF5:FS online. It's like night and day.

Or, hell, compare Tekken 6 netcode to Tekken Tag 2 netcode. Same development team, same game engine. One of them is damn near flawless and the other is completely unplayable.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
So from what I am hearing the online is ass right now. Hopefully there is a patch.

And when I say its ass...I mean worse than DOA4.

DrDogg

Someone that has the game. Again lets hope that there is some patch very early on.

One person playing the game with a handful of others before the game is out is not a good indication for me. Are the people he's playing close?

Not saying the game will have good online, but one person's opinion at this point is not enough for me.

There is starting to be enough copies in the wild floating around, I hope for impressions from reliable sources soon.

Here hoping, I'd really rather not put my tail between my legs and just go back to VF after getting hyped up.

ChrisArmoun

As Dr.Dogg said, one person's opinion has little merit. I loved SCV's online (I did lots of hit confirms and just frame moves without issue), but friends of mines said it constantly gave them problems. By the same token, I hated Tekken 6 online with a passion. So much so that after getting a platinum in the game I completely abandoned it and traded it when TTT2 was released. Those same people that disliked SCVs online played T6 online religiously.

Chris Harris

I also heard the same thing. He played someone in close proximity to him that he normally doesn't lag with in other games. Hopefully it has something to do with the servers not being ready yet or some other easily fixable problem. I hope they realize that if the online sucks NO one will be playing the game online. Even if you are the best game in the UNIVERSE if your online sucks the game goes down hill hella fast lmao

kupo

I also heard the same thing. He played someone in close proximity to him that he normally doesn't lag with in other games. Hopefully it has something to do with the servers not being ready yet or some other easily fixable problem. I hope they realize that if the online sucks NO one will be playing the game online. Even if you are the best game in the UNIVERSE if your online sucks the game goes down hill hella fast lmao

FGs tend to be "forgotten" a lot faster if the netcode is bad. I really hope TN looks up to this matter ASAP if it really is bad (I'll wait and see). Lucky who has an offline scene.

Tones

Premium Donor
Early impression is online will never be as good as offline. No netcode can work around that. That said online, DOA's mechanics feel better than other fighters.

I don't get how people put up with VF, Tekken and 3rd Strike online. Since they've tightened up the game (spacing, inputs, hit boxes, ground game) I can imagine that DOA5 won't feel great either.

Netplay will always suck, that's the way it is, no point complaining about it. Find a use for it or just don't use it.

DR2K

Early impression is online will never be as good as offline. No netcode can work around that. That said online, DOA's mechanics feel better than other fighters.

I don't get how people put up with VF, Tekken and 3rd Strike online. Since they've tightened up the game (spacing, inputs, hit boxes, ground game) I can imagine that DOA5 won't feel great either.

Netplay will always suck, that's the way it is, no point complaining about it. Find a use for it or just don't use it.

Works perfectly in TTT2 and VF5. No excuse not to here.

Tones

Premium Donor
Works perfectly in TTT2 and VF5. No excuse not to here.
So it can either suck or suck more. We'll just have to wait to see where DOA5's online ultimately sits, but currently it's suggested that it's sitting on the more suckier side of the fence. That right?

DR2K

So it can either suck or suck more. We'll just have to wait to see where DOA5's online ultimately sits, but currently it's suggested that it's sitting on the more suckier side of the fence. That right?

I'm hearing mixed results so far.

No it can either work or it doesn't. Netcode works in TTT2 and VF5 perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD