[Aug 27, 2012] DOA5 @ FIGHTERS AT i46 - THE OLYMPIAN - 24th-27th... (The International Centre)

MasterHavik

Yeah Cow is right. I notice lots of people fishing for counters during the IPL tournament. Hey Cow can you breakdown Zack next if you have time?

Steady G

Sarah does not need to be buffed. When was she weakended? If something was taken away from her to make her "weak" I can't tell. I suggest you go look at the IPL matches again and read the write up on her. Her holds being "weak" is fair, her and Akria pick up frame advantage and or are left at neutral from their moves. That means it will be difficult to punish them and they can legitimately and consistantly keep an offensive pressure. No doa character is doing that to Sarah or Akria's extent.

Indeed.

Re-read my first paragraph, sit, let it marinate, and know that you are maining a character that will be in a class along with Akria; that the doa characters will not be in. Some characters can hang with them but for damn sure not match what they can do.

Played against Akria last night. He hit me 4 times on CH and I died. That needs to be buffed? Sarah, just as fast as Kasumi and she's way safer, and her damage is nothing you want to get involved with. That needs buffs? The VF or at least Sarah's hold damage is well balanced.

Uhhh I dont even care anymore. The bottom line is when DOA5 come out, my Sarah is going to be a beast meaning she will be difficult to take down. Weak or not, she is going to be very powerful especially when she is in the hands of CrazySteady.. ;) So with that said, Team Ninja can do whatever they want with her.. Im just waiting for the game to come out...

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Keylay said:
Please tell me that you were missing your followup after Ayane's BT :4::K: Launcher. That is supposed to be her best launcher and I saw you do it at least three times and you didn't follow up with much. I'm going to be pissed if they nerfed the launch height.

http://www.twitch.tv/unequalledmedia/b/329874097

You do it at 5:02.

They diddnt its still good.. dont worry lol.. i cant watch it on my phone too expansive but its alll good.. ayane is really solid: )

Arnell Long

Sarah does not need to be buffed. When was she weakended? If something was taken away from her to make her "weak" I can't tell. I suggest you go look at the IPL matches again and read the write up on her. Her holds being "weak" is fair, her and Akria pick up frame advantage and or are left at neutral from their moves. That means it will be difficult to punish them and they can legitimately and consistantly keep an offensive pressure. No doa character is doing that to Sarah or Akria's extent.

K.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
OK guys Day 2 of i46 and it was a long ass day. The two biggest events (SF4 and MVC3) are finally out of the way ..

I hope you guys enjoyed the exhibition matches this morning on stream :) Hopefully you guys can enjoy the tournament tomorrow as well :).

I had the chance to sit alone on the side and mess with the game a little more. Today I will be covering Jann Lee, Brad and Eliot. as well as maybe touch up on a few things here and there...

ELIOT
- Honestly, messing around with Eliot today showed me how very generic and uninteresting he is compared to how the rest of the cast evolved .. He hardly feels like he got anything new .. not only that his setups for guaranteed damage are extremely limited too. It seems that his main focus in his design revolved around really strong knockdowns that push the opponent away.. The problem with his limitations is that you are almost forced to play him with the guessing game you use in DOA4 as he hardly has any guaranteed setups.and almost everything useful he has is mid punch.
- he has only 1 sit down stun that I found which is 3KP .. again being the 2nd hit in a string kinda sucks...
- he only has 1 turn around I found which is H+K
- critical burst is 1P+K
- powerblow is 4P+K
- he has this new WTF string... I'll have to break it down because its just bullshit .. lol
P+K P P+K P K P P P P+K P (translate into MP MP MP HP HK MPBounce then juggle) .. its long and stupid and I don't see the damn likelihood of it ever connecting or the purpose of it .. I may be overlooking something. I hardly played Eliot before cuz of his barbie face.
- here are the moves that lead to knockdowns (or slams .. basicly all enders in a sense... theres a shit ton):
PPP
PP46P (same shit but slightly slower)
PPK
4PK
66P6P
66P46P (same shit but slightly slower)
46P
236P
6KK
P+KP6P
P+KP46P (same shit but slightly slower)
2P+KP
2P+K46P (same shit but slightly slower)
1P+KP
66P+K
6H+K
4H+K
- its worth mentioning that he has the least moves in the build..and if that many are used for knockdown you can see what I'm talking about.
- with his limitations you are almost always forced to play your game DOA4 style.. so it sucks..
- I'm actually starting to think that maybe his move set is just not complete and we might see a more improved Eliot upon release.

Brad
- Again, I don't know what the fuck people are talking about. He has improved so much and almost has safe(er) options from all his strings. I personally don't see him as low tier and I think hes actually amazing and scary now.
- Burst: 66P
- Powerblow 4P+K
- he has 2 sit down stuns :
(counter) 8P
The amazing thing about these 2 sit down stuns is that he can fucking link the 6K into the 8p one after the other guaranteeing stun after stun to burst... an example would be the following string:
(lying down head forward) K, 6K, 8P, burst or launcher ... shenanigans
- he can get into flamingo from:
PPK
PP8
- he has a charge move which I haven't seen before (3)P(P) Looks awesome he spins his head around in a circle before he hits
- his handstand stances: It is important to note that this is NOT 1 stance but in actual fact 2. it makes a huge difference weather you transition into hand stance from facing the opponent or from back turn as this
(from facing opponent) 66P+K (leads to back turned hand stand)
(from back turn) 66P+K ( leads to a facing opponent state) ...
you have a few options from this:
P (low sweep .. BTHS only .. for Normal HS he gets out of stance into a standing P)
G+P (throw)
multi kick combos ..
- he has a ridiculous looking move, from flamingo tap 44 .. brad will do a little in place hop .. it might be a move that crushes low .. if Brad has it whats the point of taking away the anti low from Sarah's flamingo? (yes still annoyed about that)
- Also I am not sure if this was in the game before, his 3P+K (the move he uses to lay down head forward) it now hits and leads to critical stun if you're really up close.
- Also it seems that he has a lot more transitions into lying down stances now ...
- Best of all his hold animations no longer put him in an unsafe state.. they fixed that stupid shit.
- with the general improvement to the side setep system of the game, his Sways move side step (4P8 or 4P2) is a lot more effective it seems.
Honestly, I expect to see a lot more solid play from Brad this time around and this makes me happy :D.

Jann Lee (the fucker)
- Jann Lee is really really strong and solid. his air juggle potential is amazing and overall damage output is really good. I think hes gonna be used a lot. hes just dirty.
- By now you all know about his Guaranteed followups after Dragon Gunner offensive hold so there's no point of me saying how annoying that thing is.
- Burst is 6P+K
- Powerblow .. 4P+K (not too sure... forgot to note it but I think that's correct)
- he has 2 sit down stuns:
4P (the start of his Dragon Fire)
H+K
- he also has this other type of stun, it functions exactly like a sitdown and is also unholdable and gives guaranteed damage mid or low and makes highs whiff but has a different animation (and sound effect) to sitdown stuns. its almost looked like like a "forced crouch critical stun". He can do it from:
214P
6P+KP
- he has this twirl like stun that prevents holding for a short while but then the opponent faces you again so its not really a turn around and it doesnt guarantee anything as far as I'm aware. He can do it from:
8PPK
3KK
- his new Dragon stance can be done from the following:
PP6P4
9P4
2P+K2 (2 P+K is a switch stance like the one Jackie and Sarah do in VF only slower)
1 P+K (the hop back stance now ends in Dragon stance)
6H+K4
- He has a few options from Dragon stance:
P (high)
6P (mid)
K (mid)
P+K (mid)
(I might be missing one more I'm not sure ... oh and he cannot throw form the stance)
- I'm gonna say flat out, hes good but I guess you all knew that already. I wont comment on weather hes FAIR or not because I haven't played a good Jann Lee yet to get a full grasp of his potential. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. (still think hes high up on that tier list though)

on a side note,
You can change the color of Sarah's panties in her C2 from black to white. ^^ I love you team ninja

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier but LeiFang's 214H+P has a different voice clip to it than before and that old voice is now used for her 4H+P throw.. Why the voice swap? its stupid. I miss her MMMGRRRRRRRRRMPH sound when she did it. It implied she had more, POWER... lol I want the move voices to be swapped back to what they were.

On a side note I'm getting more used to the side step system in the game. it feels so much like VF now the sidestepping is really effective.

Tournament is tonight. VF first then DOA .. for crying out loud I'm gonna be mind fucked transitioning like that between the two but we'll see.. Wish me luck guys ^^

If I am still awake and have the time, I will break down more characters ... but I think its unlikely today as DOA is the last tournament of the fricken day. Maybe tomorrow as its the last day of the event :D

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
The Prizes!!!!
7863445448_9a2c52236c_b.jpg

Top winners get:
"I'm a Fighter" t-shirt
"I'm a Fighter" necklace
DOA5 Poster signed by Hayashi himself
A custom Cube with the characters of choice ^^
7863448134_b98e424d85_b.jpg

DontForkWitMe

nice impressions but you missed some stuff from eliot. his main new buff is his 9frame palm strike and looks to be the fastest single attack in the game even beating out other characters basic 9frame jab since it does more damage, it also stuns on normal hit and used as a great pressure tool and interrupt tool . surprisingly no eliot player i've seen ever used it since doggs vids during the 12 days media. His parries also get guaranteed launcher with his instant :3_::P: which also has refloating properties giving him great wall carrying abilities.

lastly his super launcher throw gives him maximum launch height without playing the stun game and on high counter throw with it he can take off nearly 50% without wall/dangerzone damage... you will not want to counter wrong against him with that much damage potential off a throw. there still no word if he gets anything guaranteed from his mid counters and low throw that leave opponents backturned so hopefully he does because that was his main weakness along with a lack of decent mixups. overalll he is definitely improved over DOA4 in every way

MaxwellMouse

nice impressions but you missed some stuff from eliot. his main new buff is his 9frame palm strike and looks to be the fastest single attack in the game even beating out other characters basic 9frame jab since it does more damage, it also stuns on normal hit and used as a great pressure tool and interrupt tool . surprisingly no eliot player i've seen ever used it since doggs vids during the 12 days media. His parries also get guaranteed launcher with his instant :3_::P: which also has refloating properties giving him great wall carrying abilities.

lastly his super launcher throw gives him maximum launch height without playing the stun game and on high counter throw with it he can take off nearly 50% without wall/dangerzone damage... you will not want to counter wrong against him with that much damage potential off a throw. there still no word if he gets anything guaranteed from his mid counters and low throw that leave opponents backturned so hopefully he does because that was his main weakness along with a lack of decent mixups. overalll he is definitely improved over DOA4 in every way
Does it really matter if Eliot's mid counters give him guaranteed damage now that his parry's do? Just replace counters with parrys. Sure it would be nice to have more options but I don't think he will suffer for it.

DontForkWitMe

Does it really matter if Eliot's mid counters give him guaranteed damage now that his parry's do? Just replace counters with parrys. Sure it would be nice to have more options but I don't think he will suffer for it.

you can't parry while stunned though which is the issue with his mid counters in 4, if he counters someones mid kick/punch at best he'll take off a tiny sliver of guaranteed damage while the opponent can quickly counter/block right after there back is turned making his mid counters pretty worthless and weak

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
DontForkWitMe said:
you can't parry while stunned though which is the issue with his mid counters in 4, if he counters someones mid kick/punch at best he'll take off a tiny sliver of guaranteed damage while the opponent can quickly counter/block right after there back is turned making his mid counters pretty worthless and weak

Thanks for the update man.. i'm guilty of not looking more indepth into him since i never knew how he functioned.. Id like to give him a chane if possible ... If you eliot players say hes better then i guess thats great news! I still feel hes heavily dependant on the Doa4 mindset tho..

MaxwellMouse

Oh, I never realized that. In that case they should definitely have guaranteed options for his counters.

Chaweewee

What's up fellow gamers, I'm new in these forums. Love DOA of course but haven't had time to get too technical with it. Can someone explain the motions that are being called out in Cow's posts? Like 236K and whatnot. I understand punch and kick but what are the numbers, d-pad directions?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD