Dead or Alive 5: Director wants more cameos, ‘Ryo from Shenmue would be ideal’

TRI Mike

The ideal thing would be to keep their current damage, add 5 recovery frames AND make low-holds animations subceptible to high attacks and normal throws.

WiZzYx

Hahaha i know that. My question is WHY the low hold, MUST be susceptible to high attacks. The objective behind this change.

MajesticBlue

It cracks me up how random and off topic things can get when it comes to Doa. I might as well join in I guess. Wasn't expecting to find an argument on holds here lol.

Low holds just need more recovery then the other options. Having them duck high makes perfect sense at least to me. Why not ask for low throw buffs? Or more moves that have special properties when used on crouching opponents? If you want to be extreme you can have only the active frames crush and be in standing state during recovery. I don't find it to be as big of an issue now that we have 4 point counters back. Since you have 2 mid options.

DR2K

Hahaha i know that. My question is WHY the low hold, MUST be susceptible to high attacks. The objective behind this change.

Why should it evade? Logically it should since the character crouces, but design wise it's illogical for a 0 frame attack to beat all highs, throws, and low attacks.

WiZzYx

What I remarked in bold about dodging throws with low holds, when simply ducking, the result it's the same.
Let's see...with a low hold you can:

1-Beat a low attack.
2-Dodge high attacks
3-Dodge normal throws

and ducking, you can:

1-Dodge high attacks
2-Dodge normal throws

The low hold, add one defensive property. If you can dodge/beat 3 attacks in one (what seems to be too much for a single movement with 0 frames), we can balance it, removing one of the properties. This would be in the same condition that only ducking, with a change in the defensive properties. In this case I think it would be nice to be susceptible to normal throws (and low throws obviously). Then:

Ducking
-Dodge high attacks
-Dodge normal throws

New Low Hold
-Dodge high attacks
-Beat a low attack

Let's go back to the topic...we can continue in another thread. :)

Goro Hazuki

I understand where you're coming from Goro, but I think your fandom of the series might have something to do with it. The first Shenmue took place in 1986, so Ryo would have been born around 1968 (since he's 18 at the start of the series). So...he would be about 44 today.

Akira from VF was also born in 1968, and personally, I think his face is a little too smooth to be in his forties (his DOA5 design looks early thirties-ish, imo). Sarah's born in 1973, so that puts her at the ripe ol' age of 39...and this face definitely ain't pushing forty. Heck, she could be my age -- someone born twenty years later. ^^;

Sorry for the late reply, I'm just getting back to checking stuff (it's been busy times for me). Yeah I know what you mean about the ages. They put the dates of birth back in the early 90's, which I think they stopped putting in since VF3. Since none of the VF characters look like they're aging (Except for Lau, his whole face looks like cancer), it makes sense to stop "mentioning" the birth dates.

I like how DOA did it from the beginning, by just stating the age. Kinda like the simpsons..
It's Bart's birthday..how old is he?...uh, ten
(6 seasons later): It's Bart's birthday! How old is he?... uh..ten

AKNova7

Seeing Ryo Hazuki in this game would be amazing, I hope TN can pull that one.
Didn't they say they didn't want to release DLC characters or were they referring to paid DLC.

They meant paid DLC. If we get free characters I will scream. And I'm a dude.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD