Do you want a tournament scene?

Do you want a healthy tournament scene for DOA5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

x Sypher x

Smash brawl sucked ass. Yet people still play the shit out of it. Hell last year we ran a SSBB tourney and had 45 people reg for it. I have a feeling that even if holds out of stuns were fixed, we just find something else to bitch about and not play it.

To be honest, I agree. Well to be more precise I don't think it sucks too much ass despite the issues it has, but I still find it enjoyable because I have a love for Smash Bros. But at the same time I enjoy Smash Melee a lot more than Brawl, in fact I believe I have overplayed it already. I've committed more hours to that game since 2001 than I probably ever will in Brawl or even perhaps the next sequel. The amount of content was amazing at it's time, I enjoyed unlocking more things the more I played, granted the amount of time required is ridiculous unless you meet other certain conditions. I enjoyed the challenges, or "Events" as they are called, trying to beat records and such. But what really grinded my gears was when I discovered that there were special techniques that would allow me to improve my game. This my friends was my first taste of high level play in any game. The more I learned the more I realized there was so much more depth to the game than I had ever known. And then when I saw them being applied in matches via Youtube, I remember thinking it was the most amazing thing to watch and I was even more compelled to become a better player. The only downside was I had no one to play with, so I was stuck with the AI for a long time, plus I was really young. But that didn't stop me from playing the shit out of it even more. Nowadays I hardly touch it at all because wel...DOA has stolen my heart now lol. But if it wasn't for DOA, Brawl, or any other fighter, I'd probably still be on that shit like white on rice.

DriftSlave

Not from what I recall. V-ism infinites were being used almost from the start, and it was a tournament regular up until CvS2 took its place and A-Groove shenanigans ("ShoShoSho", "Painting the Fences") took over. Heck, Japan played it even longer.

From my experience in NorCal it had got the SF3 treatment as no one wanted to play it then wanted to pick it up after it was deemed dead...mostly Alpha2 and CVS series was played consistently, there where few SF3 cabinets...in comparison as well...so that maybe a factor~ again it'll be different from person to person....

I brought up 24 hour streams because Jaxel from 8way is running one and i hear the guys at dream cancel will get one soon if not already up by now(they are slow on info) so I was thinking maybe this could be a way to generate some interest in DOA5. but personally i think it's too early to even be talking about a tournament scene yet...to be honest.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
VF5FS is going to be at Evo as an officially sponsored side tournament. I'm gonna play just for kicks. So at the very least, that should be out before DoA5. We've gone much longer without a proper entry than the VF community lol. Well at least another year or so. I forget when VF5 launched but I know it was after DoA4.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
So basically, everyone goes with DrDogg's suggestions to the letter, or we face his wrath and get banned.
Sounds good to me.
Awesmic, you completely missed the point of DrDogg's post and still seem to, even after this thread blew up. His point was simply "Let's get the big stuff fixed before we argue minor details." Then the thread took a downward spiral and everyone continued to argue amongst themselves. So, good job community. =P

Tenren

VF5FS is going to be at Evo as an officially sponsored side tournament. I'm gonna play just for kicks. So at the very least, that should be out before DoA5. We've gone much longer without a proper entry than the VF community lol. Well at least another year or so. I forget when VF5 launched but I know it was after DoA4.
will be there playing Vf5fs as well lol. Im judging EVO but told them I need time off for that lol

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'll be judging too, actually. I told them I'm available for all sessions but want to make sure I have time to check out booths and such. I may change that to just working the morning sessions or something. We'll see in a couple months, I guess.

Berzerk!

Awesmic, you completely missed the point of DrDogg's post and still seem to, even after this thread blew up. His point was simply "Let's get the big stuff fixed before we argue minor details." Then the thread took a downward spiral and everyone continued to argue amongst themselves. So, good job community. =P

Good point to get this back on track! So, while I think the big stuff AND the small stuff can all be discussed (walk and chew gum at the same time, it might be worth getting to the meat of what this thread is actually asking.

So of course we want it to be a good tournament game. DrDogg's position at the heart of this is that the key item on the watch list to fix is holds in stun.

What about starting a clear thread and poll around this particular item and see what people think?

1 - Holds should not work while in any stun
2 - Holds should work except in critical stuns
3 - Holds in Stun are ok, just make them higher risk and punishable
4 - Holds all the time! Whee!

d3v

Wah already shared this somewhere else, but I'm pretty sure it applies here.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/04/com...gitimate-only-if-there-are-people-playing-it/

Off course we want a tournament community. Tournament play lends a game a good deal of legitimacy. At the very least, a good tourney scene for DOA5 can get rid of the stink left by DOA4. More importantly, it means more players, more strategies, etc. that can keep the game alive for years. I mean, well all play games for fun and a fighting game that's gone stale because no more stuff is being developed for it stops being fun after awhile.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Good point to get this back on track! So, while I think the big stuff AND the small stuff can all be discussed (walk and chew gum at the same time, it might be worth getting to the meat of what this thread is actually asking.

So of course we want it to be a good tournament game. DrDogg's position at the heart of this is that the key item on the watch list to fix is holds in stun.

What about starting a clear thread and poll around this particular item and see what people think?

what about just keep them as they are in the demo only nerf the izuna holds ... ? the recovery time is quite decent now .. and the damage output is reasonable ... but a little more recovery (a frame or 2 ) wont hurt i suppose ...

Allan Paris

No, all of those have been tackled in a few threads and the most recent one; 3 Point Hold v. 4 Point Hold.

DrDogg

Also, I'd have to say if the argument against DOA is there's too much guessing, Marvel is a great example of a game that is full of guessing - and I'd say the kind of guesses in Marvel are far more annoying to deal with because a wrong guess means you have to sit there for 20-30 seconds while the other guy dials you to death like watching a cut scene.

There's a difference though. In Marvel, the offensive player is the one forcing the guess, not the defensive player. At best, the defensive player can call an assist and hope it has enough invincibility frames to stop the offensive player. But that boils down to match-up knowledge more than a guess.

Also, when the defensive player guesses wrong, that's it. He doesn't get another guess during that exchange unless the offensive player messes up, or goes for a reset. Once again, the offensive player is in control.

Im sure TN got more then enough feedback about getting rid of holds in stuns....if they are still present in the E3 build...something didn't stick :confused: but I it should be noted that there is still time to fix that if they are still present in the E3 build. Specking of which who is actually going to E3?

Keep in mind the E3 build is roughly based off of code from early April (maybe even earlier). That's not much time to get player feedback.

Also, I will be at E3. Expect big things...

I agree but the issue I've seen over the years with the DOA community is. There is always some issue that splits every one. If we cant even support our own game, how can we hope for the FGC to do it? :(

Look at where the split is coming from. It started as competitive vs. casual back in DOA2U. The competitive players said online was terrible, while the casuals thought it was great. Then it evolved into the people who play fighters other than DOA at a competitive level, compared to the people who only play DOA at a competitive level. This split will not last long.

If DOA5 isn't up to snuff, the competitive players who are good at other fighters will likely move on to VF, TTT2, or whatever else. That will leave only the few DOA-exclusive players to have their 15-man tournaments. So there won't be a split.

VF5 on 360 was out in October 2007. One year and a half after DOA4.

But the PS3 version was out shortly after DOA4. While the PS3 and 360 ports are based on two different arcade versions, it was still VF5 and more of a port than a new release. Semantics...

The problem is that there are a good number of people here who don't understand what needs to happen to make DOA more accepted by the FGC at large. For example, Emperor_Cow saying he thinks stuns/holds are fine in the demo. I think a vast majority of the people here can agree that the demo is not enough of a step forward.

There are multiple ways to correct the major problems. They don't all revolve around removing holds from stun. You can add launchers that ignore holds during a stun. You can add attacks that put a stunned (or neutral) opponent into a unique stun (maybe limbo) that removes their ability to counter, but limits the number of attacks during stun.

Or you can add all of this giving you a pretty robust system, while still keeping some of the guessing. I put you in a stun, then my options are:

1. Extend the stun, but risk getting countered.
2. Use a launcher that ignores counters completely.
3. Use an attack that places you in a stun that you can't counter out of, but limits the potential damage.
4. Wait for the counter and attempt to throw punish.

Smart players would likely use option 2 or 3. Casuals can still revert to option 1 or 4. DOA takes enough of a step forward to appeal to at least some of the greater FGC. Everyone wins.

FakeSypha

Answering OP's question. Yes, I do. From my humble point of view, a healthy and active tournament scene could make DOA a little more respected as a fighting game. Also, tournaments, events, and other competitive stuff give exposure needed to get the series more popular.

If gets more popular in USA/EU, eventually will get more popular in my country (or at least in South America, as a whole). In which there is no tournament scene, no casual scene, no scene, no nothing. I'd like to see someday a local tournament of DOA5.. just a little one, irrelevant, but that would be a sign the game can gather a bunch of people to play a goddamn fighting game which isn't SF, MvC, MK, etc.

Sorry for the derail. I'd love to see streams of pro players too. That way people get motivated to improve their skills, and the such.

PhoenixVFIRE

There are multiple ways to correct the major problems. They don't all revolve around removing holds from stun. You can add launchers that ignore holds during a stun. You can add attacks that put a stunned (or neutral) opponent into a unique stun (maybe limbo) that removes their ability to counter, but limits the number of attacks during stun.

Or you can add all of this giving you a pretty robust system, while still keeping some of the guessing. I put you in a stun, then my options are:

3. Use an attack that places you in a stun that you can't counter out of, but limits the potential damage.

Smart players would likely use option 2 or 3. Casuals can still revert to option 1 or 4. DOA takes enough of a step forward to appeal to at least some of the greater FGC. Everyone wins.
^^^^ I want it....

MrMoon360

I don't think holds need to be taken out of stuns for it to be competitive. VF is a great game, right? Where's it's tournament scene? UMvC3 is lame and it's huge... People will play what they want in the end; no matter what the system is, someone will enjoy it.... All I have to say is Capcom.

I just want the ability to hold minimized, by whatever means. Preferably not by taking it out of stun completely; I would like it to resemble DOA in the end.

I like perhaps limiting the ability during stun?

RoboJoe

This actually works out better than outright removing holds from stun because it is more likely to agree with Shimbori's vision and therefore have a better chance of actually being implemented. Let's face it, Shimbori knows that holds in stun are a huge issue to the game's health but dances around the issue by tweaking the active frames, the recovery frames, even changing it to 4-point vs 3-point. All that is like putting a band-aid on a broken arm. It is a step in the right direction, but it will never fix the arm, or in this case, the issue with holds. With this system, Shimbori can keep the system the same as it has always been, except that it no longer punishes an attacker for hitting his opponent. Of course, being usable in stun is not the only thing wrong with holds, but I believe this is the most important point and I wouldn't be happy with anything less than having a chance at guaranteed damage after putting an opponent into stun or hitting them into a wall or launching them. Even if Shimbori removes all damage from counters and increases recovery time or only allows one counter per stun, it wouldn't be enough because it allows the person already hit to negate their mistake, which just shouldn't happen in any fighting game.

On another note, I'm new here and to fighting games in general (competitively speaking), so hello all and here's hoping that Shimbori actually sees this idea (someone should send it to him), because DOA is a lot of fun and I want it to have a long life, which I don't see happening as long as the attacker has to be afraid of attacking.

x Sypher x

This actually works out better than outright removing holds from stun because it is more likely to agree with Shimbori's vision and therefore have a better chance of actually being implemented. Let's face it, Shimbori knows that holds in stun are a huge issue to the game's health but dances around the issue by tweaking the active frames, the recovery frames, even changing it to 4-point vs 3-point. All that is like putting a band-aid on a broken arm. It is a step in the right direction, but it will never fix the arm, or in this case, the issue with holds. With this system, Shimbori can keep the system the same as it has always been, except that it no longer punishes an attacker for hitting his opponent. Of course, being usable in stun is not the only thing wrong with holds, but I believe this is the most important point and I wouldn't be happy with anything less than having a chance at guaranteed damage after putting an opponent into stun or hitting them into a wall or launching them. Even if Shimbori removes all damage from counters and increases recovery time or only allows one counter per stun, it wouldn't be enough because it allows the person already hit to negate their mistake, which just shouldn't happen in any fighting game.

On another note, I'm new here and to fighting games in general (competitively speaking), so hello all and here's hoping that Shimbori actually sees this idea (someone should send it to him), because DOA is a lot of fun and I want it to have a long life, which I don't see happening as long as the attacker has to be afraid of attacking.

But even if this were to happen, would it be accepted by the whole FGC? Even if this made it more viable competitively, what then?

RoboJoe

But even if this were to happen, would it be accepted by the whole FGC? Even if this made it more viable competitively, what then?

Doesn't really matter. I'm more focused on trying to make the game itself better competitively first and deal with the prejudices later. After all, no one can control whether DOA becomes accepted by the larger community or just becomes another flavor of the month. However, I'll bet that people are more willing to play a game that is actually playable and will take DOA seriously if it starts to take itself seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD