Final Fantasy Thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I remember watching videos of it for the mobile, though it doesn't have a western release no?

Honestly, I'd play the hell out of it because multiple FF characters in one game is grand for Dissidia in general.

Chapstick

Yeah @Chapstick I was wondering If the remaster had came out yet or not, Guess it hasn't. There's a couple of old school FF games I've got my eye's on for what I'd like to play but I think for now I'll wait until VII's remake comes out whenever that may be.
FFI doesn't quite hold up today. FFII is skippable. FFIII 3D was fun but the last time I played it was wayy too long ago for me to really remember it. From what I do remember you could pretty much replace it with Bravely Default and get a similar experience: crystals, job changing, four characters with the main one having grey hair. If you can find FFIV for the DS that one's good and cheap (at least here in the states). It's 3d so it's easier to get into than the original. I haven't played FFV, really should have gotten that in the 30 year anniversary sale. FFVI has good pixel art so imo that's still easy to get into plus it's a good game. FFVII is obviously great and it's on PS4. FFVIII was enjoyable to me but I know a lot of people don't like it. FFIX was really good and is probably coming to PS4 eventually.

Jadeinchains

Thanks! Out of the ones you mentioned I've been mainly thinking about the ps1 era of the series, 7,8,9 I'm not sure if or when I'll play them but if they get released on ps4 or get remake's I'll try to get them.

7 I know a lot about just because its pretty much everywhere and kind of hard not to know about. ( a certain death won't be shocking to me )

8 I know a little bit about and I've seen the party members but I really don't know much.

And 9 I know nothing really about besides Vivi being one of the cutest characters ever!

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
FFVII is one of the most overrated FFs you have ever seen. Compilations, prequels, sequels, movies etc. But there is a reason why it is. The game was no joke on goodness and it proves difficult to pinpoint every little detail on it's flaws with why it's bad. Overall, this was the game that started the genre (or rather pedestal pinnacle) of true RPG on the PS1 platform. That game made people buy a PS1, literally, just for that game. FFVII drew the most fanbase and created a new fanbase in that era for people who have never played an FF before. People defend this game hard for the wrong reasons and for the right reasons. Mostly the right.

FFVIII was a good well deserved game with many complexions and plot holes, but it's one of the few games where plot holes do not necessarily affect the game in it's entirety. Simply because it's good. One of the few games with a busted mechanic that can make you overpowered at the very start but you can't sleep on this game though. Majority of the characters are pretty good surprisingly and this game had one of the best monster designs in that FF era. The summon designs are all +1. I enjoyed this one a ton honestly.

FFIX was really good. I still consider this one to be top 10 material somewhere. It's not as long as the other two, but the game is actually worth it if you sit down playing it. This one kicks in the nostalgia feel of past FFs slightly a bit.

Last edited:

HajinMonSect

I remember watching videos of it for the mobile, though it doesn't have a western release no?

Honestly, I'd play the hell out of it because multiple FF characters in one game is grand for Dissidia in general.

Yeah watching FF characters interact is always cool. Its what initially attracted me to the original Kingdom Hearts so much. Even playing games where you can form parties with different ff characters seem cool. Its what got me into those shitty gatcha or whatever mobile games.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Curious how this little guy will be in FF7 remake with an extreme better look:

tumblr_inline_om2ij5u_Aw_D1rlag41_540.png

UpSideDownGRUNT

I haven't ever played XII and probably won't, I was interested when the remaster was announced but it doesn't look like the type of game I'd like.

Looks like there's barely any player input which is a no no.

If I wanted to watch a game I'd look up YouTube videos lol

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I haven't ever played XII and probably won't, I was interested when the remaster was announced but it doesn't look like the type of game I'd like.

I said the same thing when I bought it. I had doubts awhile back and felt I may just put it somewhere to never play it again. The game starts off real slow too, you don't start the good stuff of the plot and system till like around 20% of the game, not even kidding. The mechanics just looks like a turn off to most people which is understandable, but it does turn out more genuinely fun when you unlock most of the battle abilities around the system. Story took awhile for me to grasp on it too.

Basically the beginning wasn't a strong representation of the game. You'd have to literally play it a bit more to kinda go "Oh, so that's how it goes. Huh, interesting". It's a real fun game if you make it out to be.

Last edited:

Nikotsumi

Same as Moogle Charm where I once thought having 3 equipped on "one" character will triple the EXP earned for that one character, but when I tried it out it didn't increase it at all.
Wait... I'm pretty sure the last time I tested it (during the cactuar hunt) Moogle Charm did stack, had 3 on Noctis and Gladio and 2 on Prompto and Ignis; Noctis and Gladio gained way more exp than the other two. I did the hunt a few times and they gained like 500k~1million more.

I'm definitely not a fan of FFXII battle system but it sure got better later on.
FFIX may push some people away because of the "cartoonish" graphics, but it's really a good game.
FFVIII is my favorite lol.
FVII is good, but I feel like it's nothing special, definitely overrated.
I still didn't play V and VI. Maybe I'll do it eventually.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Wait... I'm pretty sure the last time I tested it (during the cactuar hunt) Moogle Charm did stack, had 3 on Noctis and Gladio and 2 on Prompto and Ignis; Noctis and Gladio gained way more exp than the other two. I did the hunt a few times and they gained like 500k~1million more.

I'm definitely not a fan of FFXII battle system but it sure got better later on.
FFIX may push some people away because of the "cartoonish" graphics, but it's really a good game.
FFVIII is my favorite lol.
FVII is good, but I feel like it's nothing special, definitely overrated.
I still didn't play V and VI. Maybe I'll do it eventually.

Huh, weird. I could of sworn it didn't stack when I tried it and even read some threads with users having issues with it, so they replaced the idea using the element casting of expericast while equipping accessory slots for something else. Though if you said it stacks then I believe you.

Yeah FFVIII was pretty good. Honestly, I think the game deserves a bit more credit without mentioning the battle system. FF-Type 0 could learn a thing a two from FFVIII. Edea, Laguna, Quistis, and Seifer were my favorite characters in it along with Squall and Rinoa being a big hit on the game. Summon designs was also one of my favorites and I liked the Overworld map for expanse minus the older graphics. A number of details can be digged into for flaws but I think the game's positive reviews might of toppled it completely really.

I think you'll like V and VI, though taste can vary, I did enjoy those two. The only FF game I've never played is the first one and I don't feel the mood to dig into a game that old unfortunately lol.

UpSideDownGRUNT

VIIIs battle system/buff system is why I don't like VIII, the idea of buffing your party via consumable magic just rubs me the wrong way and is easily abusable if you grind a lot.

Especially since the system in general encourages grinding which I hate unless its an action jrpg

Done right it could be an interesting mechanic, but VIII definitely doesn't do it right.
With a more traditional buff/level system I'd probably enjoy VIII a lot despite VIII having the worst ost of the PS1 trilogy

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Of course it's abusable, however this isn't the first time that you can make that particular grind in a RPG with a silly element attached. Most cases it would be purely end-game related. The Junction system's flaw is the ability to add magic in your base stat which enables you to completely destroy the game with even the attack command, but this does not provide full validation of the game as a whole regarding it's plot and length. I could say Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria has shitty gameplay or it's too hard but has great story behind it, knowing this can make some people tolerate the gameplay even if it's hard, busted, or complete garbage (VP's gameplay is not shit at all by the way). More or less a section to this that can be either a turn off or a boner to the player mass.

Not really. You can do a blind playthrough without it and can actually be hard if you add no magic to your base stat, but this makes people want to seek the easier alternative because no one wants to deal with a boss for more than an hour. So if I had to make a joke behind this: "I don't like the mechanics because it's busted as hell when you add magic to it." - So uh...don't add magic in the stats? boom there's your answer. Enjoy the game on the same level as the bosses while they tear you to shreds with no bonus stat modifiers.

Music is mostly opinionated, but I'm sure you know that by now. In regards to the mechanics? FFVIII's mechanics is guaranteed busted, but that still doesn't provide proper reasoning for discredit when the game actually did pretty well. I do however, respect your opinion though.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'm not discrediting THE ENTIRE GAME for that one thing, I'm stating that's the reason i personally dislike the game. I got to disc 2 without doing the junction stuff AND was using a guide until I got stuck on the boss after infiltrating that one enemy base because I neglected that system.

Its basically required unless like you say you want to spend hours on a boss which I personally don't. There's no balance to the game unless you micromanage the Junction system which most of the time needs you to grind magic which is just as tedious as being stuck on a boss for hours.

Not my thing at all, that's why VIII is my least favourite that I've played. I'd take XIIIs clunky system over VIIIs any day

Nikotsumi

FFVIII music is actually my favorite among the PS1 trilogy, that boss battle theme is still so badass, I only like the XIII one better. FFVII had the weakest OST among those 3 imo.
Battle system can be abused, but you don't really know how to the first the you play the game. I only started to really exploit it during end-game content.

As for Type-0... I may sound like I'm defending it (and I am xD), because imo it's too underrated. People often don't take into account that that game was originally on a handheld console and was JP exclusive, not to mention it's not a main title. Just from these things I wouldn't set my expectations too high, and that's what I did when I played it. I was expecting a horrible/definitely not good game, but it turned out otherwise, despite its obvious flaws.
Battle system was pretty good, dungeons weren't bad, it had an overworld map (yay!), OST was absolutely amazing, seriously one of the best FF OST imo. Story and characters definitely have their issues.
Also, one thing I definitely don't undestand (and I never will) is the really, really popular hate on Machina's character.
He's the only one among the fourteen characters who shows some character development and has more behind the surface > but he doens't help in missions, is always whining and is a jerk, let's hate him. And honestly, he had all the reasons to be a jerk, and if people read the novel or its summery (which is set in the cycle before) I'm sure they'd appreciate this character more, like I did. I was even glad to cosplay him last year lol, and I'm currently making his weapons (I was basically forced to and it's a total pain).
In short, he definitely is not a welll-written character but at least he's a written character, hence why he's easily my favorite Type-0 character.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I'm not discrediting THE ENTIRE GAME for that one thing, I'm stating that's the reason i personally dislike the game. I got to disc 2 without doing the junction stuff AND was using a guide until I got stuck on the boss after infiltrating that one enemy base because I neglected that system.

Its basically required unless like you say you want to spend hours on a boss which I personally don't. There's no balance to the game unless you micromanage the Junction system which most of the time needs you to grind magic which is just as tedious as being stuck on a boss for hours.

Not my thing at all, that's why VIII is my least favourite that I've played. I'd take XIIIs clunky system over VIIIs any day

Right, and I respect your opinion. It's your own personal taste and no one can take that from you. I do not disagree with you regarding it's mechanics and your own reasoning to dislike it because there are some stuff I do not like about it as well.

Well, partially required. I've seen videos in the past of low level stat runs and such. Not worth it really.

Eh, XIII's story and characters not sure but the gameplay I absolutely agree.

FFVIII music is actually my favorite among the PS1 trilogy, that boss battle theme is still so badass, I only like the XIII one better. FFVII had the weakest OST among those 3 imo.
Battle system can be abused, but you don't really know how to the first the you play the game. I only started to really exploit it during end-game content.

As for Type-0... I may sound like I'm defending it (and I am xD), because imo it's too underrated. People often don't take into account that that game was originally on a handheld console and was JP exclusive, not to mention it's not a main title. Just from these things I wouldn't set my expectations too high, and that's what I did when I played it. I was expecting a horrible/definitely not good game, but it turned out otherwise, despite its obvious flaws.
Battle system was pretty good, dungeons weren't bad, it had an overworld map (yay!), OST was absolutely amazing, seriously one of the best FF OST imo. Story and characters definitely have their issues.
Also, one thing I definitely don't undestand (and I never will) is the really, really popular hate on Machina's character.
He's the only one among the fourteen characters who shows some character development and has more behind the surface > but he doens't help in missions, is always whining and is a jerk, let's hate him. And honestly, he had all the reasons to be a jerk, and if people read the novel or its summery (which is set in the cycle before) I'm sure they'd appreciate this character more, like I did. I was even glad to cosplay him last year lol, and I'm currently making his weapons (I was basically forced to and it's a total pain).
In short, he definitely is not a welll-written character but at least he's a written character, hence why he's easily my favorite Type-0 character.

FF-Type 0 is alright. It's just the idea of making it as a portable and the limiting factors of increased story potential is what makes it wound. I played it quite a bit when it was released and did another playthrough or two for the platinum. +1 on the Overworld map though lol. One of my biggest gripes with FF-Type 0 in terms of gameplay is the motion blur when turning the camera. That stuff is just terrible on the eyes but I hear they made a patch to fix that. Overall, it was a fun game. Wish it was longer though.

I think the hate for Machina (Ehhhh a bit confusing) is likely due to the whole betrayal thing and the focusing on him and Rem. Neutral with him and the cast. Can't really say. He is one of the characters that doesn't have this forced personality of one dimension so I did like that. The Class members for example has one character who's mostly a clown, one character who's only serious, one character who's always happy etc. etc.

My favorite theme in that game is the one with Nimbus. The first 10 second build up was glorious.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
FFI doesn't quite hold up today.
Yet it's the one that started it all, and still worth playing once.

FFII is skippable.
Yes, the original NES/Famicom version of FFII is one that should be avoided at all costs. The remakes that came after it, however, are absolutely not skippable.

The game gets a lot of flak for the way its leveling system is handled and its dungeon design punishes you for entering the wrong rooms, but the game's real glaring flaw that really killed the fun in the original version was the fact there was no auto-targeting at the time. And in a game like FF2 where the enemies' HP is averaged based on the current stats of your party, it is almost impossible to gauge your opponents' HP without hitting blanks (the result of another party member attacking an opponent that is already dead, thus wasting a turn.) The remakes - starting with Final Fantasy Origins - have improved on this tremendously just through fixing that one problem alone, and now battles can go smoothly without much room for error.

Looking past this flaw, however, FF2 has one of the darkest - if not THE darkest - storylines in the mainline series to this very day, complete with a compelling villain that ranks right up there with the likes of Kefka. He steals the show so much that title screens for the remakes not only featured him in Amano's illustration, but the game's writer - Kenji Terada - actually went out of his way to make a complete novel explaining his origins and how he came to be obsessed with conquest. Not to mention, he closely resembles David Bowie's character Jareth the Goblin King in the 80s fantasy movie "Labyrinth", which many believe the inspiration for this character's design is drawn from.

That aside, FF2 was also a first for many recurring concepts other installments would soon follow, which many seem to forget. FF2 was the first true character-driven storyline of its kind, giving us actual characters rather than unnamed individuals taking on a hero role. It was also the first to have supporting characters play an active playable role and temporarily join your party. It was the first to introduce us to not only the Chocobos, but also the recurring character Cid, the character class of dragoon through the character Ricard (who in a twist of irony, has a son named Kain, who has no relation to FF4's Kain), the mystic town of Mysidia, Leviathan, and iconic high-level monsters like the Behemoth and the Iron Giant.

But perhaps the game's biggest contribution was its style of gameplay, which in itself spawned an entirely new IP for Square called "Romancing SaGa", which has since become more polished with each installment (I highly recommend Romancing SaGa 3 if you haven't played it!). Unfortunately, the game's unique Password System was never carried over to other games, though a fun addition in its own right. Final Fantasy 6 would pay a small tribute to this sometime later in a particular scenario involving Locke, which only the most hardcore fans would catch on to.

Oh, and speaking of Final Fantasy 6, did I forget to mention some compositions in FF2 have a connection to it? Well, prepare to have your mind blown. The first few stanzas of the battle themes for FF2 and FF6 have a very similar melody if you listen carefully, and "Magician's Tower" also has some musical similarities to "The Magic House" from Final Fantasy 6. When the game was in development, "The Magic House" was an alternate version of the "Magician's Tower", but due to time constraints, Nobuo Uematsu scrapped this version, and would later use it for Final Fantasy 6 during the World of Ruin in the town of Jidoor.

All in all, my point is that FF2 is worth a try, as long as you're playing the remakes and not its original version, which I admit, much like Pandaemonium itself, is pure hell. Once you understand its gameplay and exploit its uses well, you'll have no problem getting into the series it inspired (and in a sense, birthed), the Romancing SaGa series. And you have to experience its dark storytelling at least once for yourself, because games like FF6 and FF15 were heavily inspired by this.

HajinMonSect

I wasnt too fond of FF type 0 story. I really didnt like the gods and end of days themes ffxiii and type 0 brought.

I played all the number series except ff14. I can't do monthly fees in this era of gaming where almost every game comes with online play.

I disliked some parts of ff8. I wasnt fond of the twist. How some of the romantics was done and how tedious the battles became because of the need to constantly draw magic and boost summons but there is something iconic about SeeD, Squall and the overall world.

FF7 is my favorite and is everything I think the FF series should try to go back to. The best ost imo. Without having played the game in years, I can still hum Yuffies song, Setos, Aerith, the battle song, highwind etc etc. I loved the deep and thoughtful world and still remember getting on the train discussing the fates of people and the idea that theyre stuck on a track. It has the most emotional impact on me. Each character got their own segment, not as dlc. It is the most interactive ff to date. What other ff has you break into a building climb several flights of stairs while listening to a hilarious conversation, then sneaking past guards and having a great escape sequence which have you riding and I mean you not a cutscene but the player riding a motorcycle and protecting your friends. Can you imagine that happening in ffxv? Wouldnt that be cool. Theres so much to say, golden saucer, snowboarding, the date in ff, the play at goldensaucer. Etc etc. So it always boggles my mind when people say overrated or just nostalgia. I respect peoples opinion if they didnt like it but to say my opinion is just a part of mass over appeal seems silly when theres so much good here.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD