Hopes/Worries for DOA5 Leon?

Argentus

Looking at the E3 footage, I saw a lot of knockup, but not a lot of knockback (which seems to be an overall trend, with power blows popping people in the air, it looks like.)

My only worry about that is that this will undermine Leon's strength. It was always satisfying to send people flying backwards with a solid hit. But if they keep just popping in the air, yaknow, good for juggles and combos, but..I dunno, just not sure it would feel very "Leon"ish.

My other concern is if they make him too much into a combo character. Combo throws are one thing, but he's the strongest man in the world, all he should need is one giant hit, correct? Being forced to juggle with Leon would make him seem kinda weak, to me, at least.

My hopes though, are for him to have a mount tackle tag team throw with Mila!

Your hopes and/or concerns?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i can see what you mean and knockbacks have their advantage too so he should still have some as long as his Grenade Toss is still in im satisfied in those regards

if he doesnt have his tackle ill be severely disappointed but i think hes in good hands

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Being forced to juggle with Leon would make him seem kinda weak, to me, at least.

I like that Leon mostly goes for his air throw rather than to try to juggle.

My main hope for Leon is that the height requirement for his air throw has been drastically cut down from how absurd it was in DOA4 and DOAD. I'd like it to be like how it was in DOA3.0 again (he could air throw even after a weak launch like 4PK, and even have time to jab first).

I think that if Leon launches you, he should get to do his air throw. Always.

Argentus

I like that Leon mostly goes for his air throw rather than to try to juggle.

My main hope for Leon is that the height requirement for his air throw has been drastically cut down from how absurd it was in DOA4 and DOAD. I'd like it to be like how it was in DOA3.0 again (he could air throw even after a weak launch like 4PK, and even have time to jab first).

I think that if Leon launches you, he should get to do his air throw. Always.

LEON mostly goes for his air throw, but will the players?

I agree with his air throw though. Never really got to do it in DOA4 because they rarely got high enough up there. The old back punch kick setup to get it in DOA3 and doa2u didn't work anymore.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
as long as they know its there the players will use it,DOA4 in addition into having high requirements failed to even tell you about it in training

Argentus

as long as they know its there the players will use it,DOA4 in addition into having high requirements failed to even tell you about it in training

Well I was more commenting on whether players will try to juggle/combo, or if they will..well, do what Leon would do, and do the air throw to send them flying.

DontForkWitMe

If you try to juggle with Leon you're doing it wrong. air throwing after launches is what hes known for. DOA4/D completely shitted on that concept with their retarded height requirement nerfs rendering air throws worthless. DOA3 is where Leon was at his best with even his lowest launcher giving him guaranteed air throws and even able to combo into them on lighter characters.

From the short snippets i've seen of him and rachel it looks like they have much easier time getting air throws off single hit launchers without having to play the stun threshold game. not to mention Leon has a new ground bounce throw that gives him access to it even on bayman who is a super heavy.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
If you try to juggle with Leon you're doing it wrong.
While this describes Leon in a nutshell every person new to him (90% of the people who have only played 5 in the series or have never seen Leon being played right) will juggle because they don't know just how good he is. He barely has any juggle combos that can last more than three hits and their damage is pretty bad when you could just launch, maybe get a quick hit, and throw them for to make their lifebar disappear. If anything all this knockup is a huge buff for Leon.

I'm not worried about his air throw height requirement, just going by that ground bounce throw to air throw and by Bass' command air throw reduced height requirement it has already lessened by quite a bit and if he really is automatically throwing at the nearest danger zones then already he is more powerful than half the cast (notice I'm not saying he is more playable). I'm most worried about his speed on punches and that they might drop, he had some really good speed for the ridiculous things he could pull off. Oh, and I'm worried his throws are not as strong as they used to be (Hi-Counter Dervish Throw was a godsend).

Only one hope: That he remains the strongest man in the world. Both figuratively and literally (them 4 hit 60% lifebar combos...)

Argentus

When DOA 5u comes out, and we see all these pansies trying to juggle, we will roll our eyes

And show them how to Leon.

Aven Kujo-Gin

One thing I want is his roundhouse kick(K while rising) It was his best launcher in DOA4.
I´m also worried about he and Bayman have the same tag throws with everybody with the exception of Bayman who have a unique tag throw with the ones like Christie or Busa.

DontForkWitMe

One thing I want is his roundhouse kick(K while rising) It was his best launcher in DOA4.
I´m also worried about he and Bayman have the same tag throws with everybody with the exception of Bayman who have a unique tag throw with the ones like Christie or Busa.

Yeah hopefully they gave him new counter animations too. They went as far as to change his official fighting style from Bayman's so they should've at least gave him complete new hold animations too. hell even Ein and Hitomi have completely different counter animations

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Yeah hopefully they gave him new counter animations too. They went as far as to change his official fighting style from Bayman's so they should've at least gave him complete new hold animations too. hell even Ein and Hitomi have completely different counter animations

Agreed. Though I still want him to have the same mid punch hold that he had when his back was to the wall.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Guys... RELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX. ;)
His individuality is that hes "THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD". Thats what we'll be getting...

We got his turban back + a desert stage...

Trust me, hes getting alot of love this time aroud ;)

Argentus

Guys... RELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX. ;)
His individuality is that hes "THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD". Thats what we'll be getting...

We got his turban back + a desert stage...

Trust me, hes getting alot of love this time aroud ;)

I just hope he still has all his signatures

- Mount tackle which can be varied into a headbutt finisher
- Arm Grenade that sends the opponent flying across the stage.
- The neck lift (And all variations of it, like gutpunch when against a wall, or holding their head below water if standing in any)
- Headbutt
- the air throw (Never can remember the name of it)

The whole key with Leon is that he's supposed to be all about RAW POWER, so since he's getting a little overhauled, I'm cautious when finding out things about him. He shouldn't ever be comboing or juggling. Just like, 2 or 3 hits that crush the opponent.

Bone breaking grapples (as opposed to Baymans calculated precise breaks and the wrestlers flashy grapples) and skull crushing slams. Its what I remember Leon for the most.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
The desert stage has walls, pillars, and derelict structures to throw people into plus slopes/uneven terrain, not to mention his sequence in the E3 trailer shows him throwing Bayman into a wall.

Yes, but they appear to be stretched so far apart from each other that the level really just looks like an improved Dojo to me. I hate Dojo.

But hey, we'll see how good it is when the game comes out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD