Is online completely meaningless?

Mailifang

No. You are not playing the same game offline as you are online. And yes, playing under pressure with pride and money on the line, whether you can work under it or not, changes everything.

I'm not saying you can't learn how to play the game at a competitive level online (PerfectLegend does). However, your accomplishments online aren't worth anything. Who cares what your online win/loss ratio is? Who cares what your rank is? Who cares who you beat online? Online casuals mean squat. Go to a tournament where it actually counts, which the DoA community BADLY needs to do if they want this game to live.

You want to know what the DOA high level community needs to do for this game to live. We need more local scenes. We need a "farm system" so to speak. Not many of us in the community are finding or grooming new talent or getting new people to play the game.

Many of us play this game just for self enjoyment by beating people online and alienating most players who do play online. I understand for quite a few us we have a "killer" mentality.Its killed or be killed when it comes to playing this game in general. Because of that mentality many of us don't make a lot of new friends online. Or establish connections with other players that quite a few of us deem inferior. Many of you speak of the camraderie that comes by attending offline tournaments but if players go and get squashed they serve no purpose than they did by being a nobody online.After they lose badly they get an awkward hand shake from the person that beat them and walk away with a bad taste in their mouth. The person who won then goes about his business.

Camaraderie in the FGC has to be earned. And that is what makes it tough for most players who want to get into the offline tournament scene. We got more "killers" than "teachers". I'm talking about good players who have the time and the patience to educate those who want to play the game.

The table top card game community like MTG(Magic the Gathering) have a larger more active community and that's because the majority of the players just want to play.So they have no problems welcoming and teaching new players. Casual play dominates MTG community but those players are competitive because of weekly events like Friday Night Magic or Draft Saturdays. The high level MTG community as well as its pros are not as mean and obnoxious towards their casual community. But that's probably due to the people in the MTG community not having a frat boy type of mentality. And if you do get your ass kicked at MTG events players will take the time to offer advice, tell you what you did wrong, Fix and retool your deck, and hell they may even give you free cards to help you out.

The FGC as a whole needs this type of environment. The DOA community (considering that its probably the more diverse because we do have a sizable female population) needs to do more than just tell players...

"That online doesn't matter! If you want to be recognized by us(The high level community) then you need to show up to offline tournaments"

Because quite frankly this is not working.Most DOA players and fans could give a damn about what the high level community thinks. And we are not helping by continue to alienate people who just want to play the game. Just because many don't want to play at a high competitive level or attend offline major events doesn't mean they won't participate or meet and play others at local offline events. Quite a few in the competitive DOA community has to realize the game is not just meant for you or your style of play. Competitive players are the most vocal players but they are a minority when it comes to those who just play the game. The MTG community gets it. So why is the high level DOA community so discriminatory when it comes to how people play the game? You want the casual and online players to respect you as people first as well as high competitive pro players. And that comes from not shoving how L33T you are by putting down how they play the game and separating yourselves the DOA community as a whole.

SilverKhaos

You want to know what the DOA high level community needs to do for this game to live. We need more local scenes. We need a "farm system" so to speak. Not many of us in the community are finding or grooming new talent or getting new people to play the game.

Many of us play this game just for self enjoyment by beating people online and alienating most players who do play online. I understand for quite a few us we have a "killer" mentality.Its killed or be killed when it comes to playing this game in general. Because of that mentality many of us don't make a lot of new friends online. Or establish connections with other players that quite a few of us deem inferior. Many of you speak of the camraderie that comes by attending offline tournaments but if players go and get squashed they serve no purpose than they did by being a nobody online.After they lose badly they get an awkward hand shake from the person that beat them and walk away with a bad taste in their mouth. The person who won then goes about his business.

Camaraderie in the FGC has to be earned. And that is what makes it tough for most players who want to get into the offline tournament scene. We got more "killers" than "teachers". I'm talking about good players who have the time and the patience to educate those who want to play the game.

The table top card game community like MTG(Magic the Gathering) have a larger more active community and that's because the majority of the players just want to play.So they have no problems welcoming and teaching new players. Casual play dominates MTG community but those players are competitive because of weekly events like Friday Night Magic or Draft Saturdays. The high level MTG community as well as its pros are not as mean and obnoxious towards their casual community. But that's probably due to the people in the MTG community not having a frat boy type of mentality. And if you do get your ass kicked at MTG events players will take the time to offer advice, tell you what you did wrong, Fix and retool your deck, and hell they may even give you free cards to help you out.

The FGC as a whole needs this type of environment. The DOA community (considering that its probably the more diverse because we do have a sizable female population) needs to do more than just tell players...

"That online doesn't matter! If you want to be recognized by us(The high level community) then you need to show up to offline tournaments"

Because quite frankly this is not working.Most DOA players and fans could give a damn about what the high level community thinks. And we are not helping by continue to alienate people who just want to play the game. Just because many don't want to play at a high competitive level or attend offline major events doesn't mean they won't participate or meet and play others at local offline events. Quite a few in the competitive DOA community has to realize the game is not just meant for you or your style of play. Competitive players are the most vocal players but they are a minority when it comes to those who just play the game. The MTG community gets it. So why is the high level DOA community so discriminatory when it comes to how people play the game? You want the casual and online players to respect you as people first as well as high competitive pro players. And that comes from not shoving how L33T you are by putting down how they play the game and separating yourselves the DOA community as a whole.

Probably one of the most intelligent and well thought out posts I've seen on this site (and most others, really.) The community is why I've never really wanted to go to tournaments, or wanted to play at "high level".

>Magic the Gathering
the fuck did i just read

GrandMasterson

Many of you speak of the camraderie that comes by attending offline tournaments but if players go and get squashed they serve no purpose than they did by being a nobody online.After they lose badly they get an awkward hand shake from the person that beat them and walk away with a bad taste in their mouth. The person who won then goes about his business.

What? I don't think you've ever been to a tournament. All you have to do is show up, play, and ask people questions. Camaraderie isn't "earned" either, all you have to do is talk to the people you play and they will help you level up. Sure, respect is earned, but that's with everything else in life. You don't have to be some godtier player just talk to other players and discuss a match up.

And you saying "But that's probably due to the people in the MTG community not having a frat boy type of mentality." makes zero sense. What are you implying? That the FGC does have a frat boy type of mentality? How? And what does Magic have to do with DoA? Magic isn't even remotely related to fighting games. Talk about something relevant, please.

Also, if the online/casual players "don't give a damn what the high level players think", then why did you just build some wall of text to say otherwise? If you want to play the game online just for fun, fine. But if you don't care what high level or offline players say, why are you so up in arms right now? What's the point of a big community for a fighting game if you aren't using it to level up your game and to become a better player? If what I say pisses off some casual enough to where he quits the game, then chances are they weren't going to play the game very long anyway.

"And that comes from not shoving how L33T you are by putting down how they play the game and separating yourselves the DOA community as a whole."

Nobody is shoving how "l33t" they are. I'm not separating myself from anyone. You're seriously twisting my words. If anything, it's the online players separating themselves from the offline players (evidenced by your "Most DOA players and fans could give a damn about what the high level community thinks").

This is why DoA is the laughing stock of the FGC, next to Smash Bros.

Tokkosho

And what does Magic have to do with DoA? Magic isn't even remotely related to fighting games. Talk about something relevant, please..
Kasumi teleports and turns into petals while ryu is shooting people with fireballs he generates through putting his hands together as if he was doing a kamehameha... how does it NOT have anything to do with magic O.O

Mailifang

What? I don't think you've ever been to a tournament. All you have to do is show up, play, and ask people questions. Camaraderie isn't "earned" either, all you have to do is talk to the people you play and they will help you level up. Sure, respect is earned, but that's with everything else in life. You don't have to be some godtier player just talk to other players and fight out more about a match up.

And you saying "But that's probably due to the people in the MTG community not having a frat boy type of mentality." makes zero sense. What are you implying? That the FGC does have a frat boy type of mentality? How? And what does Magic have to do with DoA? Magic isn't even remotely related to fighting games. Talk about something relevant, please.

Also, if the online/casual players "don't give a damn what the high level players think", then why did you just build some wall of text to say otherwise? If you want to play the game online just for fun, fine. But if you don't care what high level or offline players say, why are you so up in arms right now? What's the point of a big community for a fighting game if you aren't using it to level up your game and to become a better player? If what I say pisses off some casual enough to where he quits the game, then chances are they weren't going to play the game very long anyway.

"And that comes from not shoving how L33T you are by putting down how they play the game and separating yourselves the DOA community as a whole."

Nobody is shoving how "l33t" they are. I'm not separating myself from anyone. You're seriously twisting my words. If anything, it's the online players separating themselves from the offline players (evidenced by your "Most DOA players and fans could give a damn about what the high level community thinks").

This is why DoA is the laughing stock of the FGC, next to Smash Bros.

*I have been to plenty offline tournaments in various games.Matter of fact I've organized quite a few local DOA tournies in my area.

*Camaraderie comes from gaining respect.If you are just someone who came off off the street and nobody knows you they are not gonna give you much attention. I've seen and experienced this first hand. Quite a few competitive players tend to have a "crew' or a group of friends who they associate with at tournies. Only handful of high level and pro players I've met would take the time to talk or help new players. I find that most of these players are kinda loners themselves.

*The FGC is made up of mostly men.And when you have community made up of mostly young men between the ages of 18- 35 in a highly competitive environment your gonna encounter a lot of BS,trash talking,bravado and pop offs within the community. Its one of the reasons many like (including myself) to go to offline tournaments.But it is also a reason that many others stay away from the offline scene all together.

* I used the MTG community as an example in how a gaming community of competitive play is grown and sustained for a long period of time. MTG as a game has been out almost as long a the SF series yet it has a bigger competitive community.SF may be more well known but only a fraction of its fan base attends or competes in offline events. While the MTG community most of the community plays in offline events.Whether its FNM or Limited draft events.

* The reason MTG keeps gaining more players is because the community makes the game accessible by welcoming new players. Most players no matter what their skill level.From the beginner to even those who have attended MTG majors will take the time to teach and help you in getting better at the game. Most of the players in the FGC I've played and met at tournaments are not as welcoming. Even though I do get more attention then most male new comers because I'm female and I talk just as much shit as the guys do.

* I wrote the "wall of text" to offer insight on what the community can do to get more people attending offline events.Nothing more ,nothing less. And I didn't say I didn't give damn about what the DOA high level thinks.I just stated that most DOA players don't.

* If you want to get a community that is made up of geeks,nerds, women,men, shy people, introverts, extroverts, weirdos, otakus, fanboys, fangirls, and those who are just passive aggressive in general to attend offline events then you don't piss them off or alienate them based on how they play the game. You realize that your not really scaring them from playing the game.They are just going to say "Screw you.I'm gonna play the however the hell I want" Because they love to play it.
And sadly we as community are not capitalizing on that "love" because many of us don't reach out and embrace these players .

*No the high level community separated themselves. We are the more vocal fan base and all I hear and read is that the high level community just wants people to show up to offline events, while at the same time telling these players that we do not acknowledge your style of play and your a nobody unless you play at offline events. So that leads to a bit of confusion. Do you want more players to go to offline events to appease your own selfish need to compete offline? Or do you want more people to go to improve the games community?

Because for the last 7 yrs the FGC as whole has been using the age old tactic of you gotta be offline events. But other FG communities don't have such a disconnect with offline and online players as the DOAC does. But those games also had an established arcade scene. DOA doesn't have that.So I advise we take what we have even if they are just online players and start finding talented players,groom, and help them get to offline events. It works for the SF community.

*You want players to get better then teach them how to play.How about you organize some local meet ups or tournies.

*And quite a few players do like to emphasize L33T status by constantly putting down the benefits of casual play and online play. Many of these players tend to forget their own humble beginnings. Over time they get indoctrinated by the culture within the FGC which encourages that if your not competing in high level offline events then your truly not playing the game.Which is BS.

I don't see pro football players or baseball players telling everyone if you not playing the sport at our level than don't bother playing the game.Because sports are in fact games.

dawnbringer

Kasumi teleports and turns into petals while ryu is shooting people with fireballs he generates through putting his hands together as if he was doing a kamehameha... how does it NOT have anything to do with magic O.O

Nope, serious ninja training is how.

Roroko

Considering the only person I found in ranked in the same region as me was three bars and unplayable, I will have to say yes, online is meaningless.

GrandMasterson

Look, you've completely lost me. You went off on all of these tangents about a card game, otakus and extroverts, and then football.

Here's my original point condensed; argue it if you want, but it's all I'm going to say on the matter:

Online is inferior to offline. Period. You get no feedback, you get a bunch of ragemail or a simple "gg" here and there, and a side order of lag. Did I mention I'm an online player? Even I realize how garbage it is. I'm currently trying to get an offline scene going where I live (Japan).

If those DoA players don't care to get off their ass and go to some offline events, then I don't think they really give a shit about the game. How could they? They're obviously casuals. The only exception to this is if they simply don't have the expenses necessary to travel because of job restrictions and other everyday life situations, which I totally understand. Otherwise, they're casual players who don't really care about the game, don't care to see the game get more exposure and hype via tournament streams, and don't care to see the game grow.

I'm not interested in talking about this game with casual players who simply don't care to get off their ass and support the scene when they have the ability. I want to discuss this game with people who actually care.

Murakame

Online is inferior to offline. Period. You get no feedback, you get a bunch of ragemail or a simple "gg" here and there, and a side order of lag.

This is what happens when you play ranked mode or randoms. Seriously why do you bother playing ranked when you are on this website where a majority of the players are like you (DOA enthusiasts)? If you made friends with a couple of players around your skill level and stuck with them you would quickly find that what I quoted becomes bullshit except the part about lag and "ggs" . I think you can assume most people on this website give enough of a shit about DOA to want to learn how to play the game at a level beyond button mashing and wish to understand the mechanics whether they will be playing offline or online. You say you have no interest in discussing the game with some of these people who may be "casuals" and it's confusing to me because you say you want the community to grow yet that action itself is something that doesn't encourage growth. There are TWO sides to every FG community: the competitors and the enthusiasts who while they may not compete are always there watching that stream and support thier local scene. Let's not forget that some of these "casuals" are the ones that give TN the money they need to IMPROVE the game and make things better for the competitors. Seriously why dish money out on something if you don't give a shit about it? By your logic these people do not give a shit about the game because they may not be playing it offline and are not doing anything to support it though right? correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds ignorant.

SilverKhaos

Look, you've completely lost me. You went off on all of these tangents about a card game, otakus and extroverts, and then football.

Here's my original point condensed; argue it if you want, but it's all I'm going to say on the matter:

Online is inferior to offline. Period. You get no feedback, you get a bunch of ragemail or a simple "gg" here and there, and a side order of lag. Did I mention I'm an online player? Even I realize how garbage it is. I'm currently trying to get an offline scene going where I live (Japan).

If those DoA players don't care to get off their ass and go to some offline events, then I don't think they really give a shit about the game. How could they? They're obviously casuals. The only exception to this is if they simply don't have the expenses necessary to travel because of job restrictions and other everyday life situations, which I totally understand. Otherwise, they're casual players who don't really care about the game, don't care to see the game get more exposure and hype via tournament streams, and don't care to see the game grow.

I'm not interested in talking about this game with casual players who simply don't care to get off their ass and support the scene when they have the ability. I want to discuss this game with people who actually care.

Ehm...here's the issue.

Offline, the experience is ALSO "You get no feedback, you get a bunch of ragemail or a simple "gg" here and there, and a side order of lag.", minus the lag.

Hell, i've mostly met better people to play with online, than I have offline. Most people, as you've displayed, people who prefer offline say things like "how could they? They're obviously casuals.", implying that because someone plays it for fun, they don't care about the game, when that just simply is not true.

Also, she did not go off on any "tangents". She very explicitly explained why she mentioned those things (Card game has a much better competitive community that DOA should strive to be like, no idea where you got otakus and extroverts from, and football is also another competitive game, but one where people don't tell newcomers to screw off, like the FGC does.)

Truth be told, there is no difference between online and offline players. The only real difference is that you get a wider variety of players when going online.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD