Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge General Discussion

deiteu

Yeah I ain't got gold either, nor the online pass. Tell me when you finish though, I may pick up the online pass if I will have someone to play with.
I finished it the day after I posted that but unfortunately I don't think I can play due to work problems, plus I have no online pass either. I'm really sorry :(

PuertoRicanStyL

Maybe someone here can help me understand something about Chapter Challenge saves.

So I was doing day one with Kasumi, made it to a save point, I died in the skull challenge thing, didn't understand my options after death since it seemed like no matter what I picked I would lose my karma. Clicked 'proceed', skull disappeared. So I returned to the main menu, clicked Chapter Challenge and loaded up my save. In the middle of my next attempt at the skull challenge thing I had to leave so I turned off my Xbox. When I came back, all my progress disappeared.

Do I have to return to the main menu before I quit to not lose all my karma and progress?

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
When you leave chapter challenge and come back, it will ask you if you want to continue or restart. When you continue you got to get a save point before exiting.

PuertoRicanStyL

Ok, I see. Thanks. Hopefully it lets you use the same bird you spawn at to save instead of having to make it to the next one.

Don't know why the save system isn't like the single player and why you can't have multiple saves.

PuertoRicanStyL

Unfortunately, no :/ 360.

I've barely got into this game like I did the first two (skipped NG3). I only beat it once, did half a chapter challenge and that's it. I beat the first two on MN, but I can't see myself doing that with this one, hahah. I've got an itch to play this today and to go online with it. Had this game for like, two years. That ninja training room where you can practice moves is awesome. Bout to get some weapons and learn em so I can style out!

I've never had a problem witn the camera in the first two games. But this one is really buggin me. Too low and too close most of the time.

Forgive my rambling. I just felt like typing all that, hahah.

PuertoRicanStyL

I know I'm probably talking to myself here, but I don't even care. For the first time, I just did Kasumi's air throw thing where she's stepping on dudes head a bunch of time on the way down, then their head explodes on the last stomp. I had to pause that shit right after she landed and go get somethin to drink (juice, I don't drank tne liquor). That shit was too ill. I had to leave the room, lol.

Lovin how you can lock the moves on a certain section and have it on the screen as you're playing. That helps a lot.

PuertoRicanStyL

^Hella strong, hahah.

I've discovered the joys of Ninja Trials and creating (so to speak) my own ninja. I'm having a lot of fun with that. Kinda sucks I'm so late and can't find randoms to play with, but it's all good. The single player is a lot of fun. I have that Anbu mask thing (white fox), hahah. Awesome. However, I'm gettin my ass whooped in some of these, and I'm only on Acolyte difficulty and on trial 6 or something, hahah. I'm gettin a lil groove back slowly though.

One thing that's really making those trials very hard for me is that you can't cancel your combos/links with a dash like you used to be able to in NG2. At least it's not working for me when I attempt it. It's been a while since I played NG2, but I played it a lot, and my muscle memory is having me attempt dashes mid link when I see someone coming at me. I tried canceling with a dash in the training room, but it's not happening. I can only cancel with a shuriken. So it's forcing me to play in a way I'm not used to at all. Which involves a lot of running and charging UT's. Doesn't feel like you can play in the thick of battle much at all because of no dash cancels.. But, I haven't used the 'Ki evade' thing yet. But as I'm typing this, I guess that is how you evade mid combo now. Have to try it. But I'm not fond of using my Ki for that since it acts as a health replenisher when you use ninpo. So it'd be something to use rarely. Which means you can't fight in a mob without using a lot of Ki.. Or maybe you could never dash cancel and I just want to believe you could, don't remember to be honest lol.

Ima watch some videos just to see how some people are attempting them. You have vids out, don't you Fiend Busa? Drop a link if ya do bro.

Last edited:

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
youtube.com/watch?v=biJSIvE2-Fw

For trials im not sure who to recommended to check since almost everyone including myself cut out almost all the waves except the last xD. Try kokoromaster, I think he uploads the whole wave.

Not every move can be cancelled mid combo with shurikens, so your options are the ki evade (highly suggest you use it, best thing ever) or change the direction of your attack at the enemy thats coming at you. Which is done by just turning your left analog towards the enemy that coming at you.(see the vid for example).

Abusing OT/String delay can also help during mid combo.

Example:
Ill use the dragon sword square, square, forward triangle, triangle, triangle move as an example.

Not including shuriken cancel, ki evade or directional movement. You have a few options to avoid getting hit mid string.

The second triangle delimb rate is very high. So what you can do if you see an enemy coming at you is:

A) delimb was a sucess.
Delay your last input of the string (triangle) by a second. Instead of finishing the string, Ryu will go instantly into an OT animation which will give you iframes of course.

B) Depending on the move, some inputs in the string have iframes and is actually safer to stop mid combo or finish the string depending on what string has the iframe. This works in your favour since enemies like to grab you in your recovery but since you have iframes you can counter with an SoB.
(SS->ST) Ryu has iframes during the triangle. For SS-> TT im not 100% sure but I believe the last string has iframes or the enemies just like to back off during that input.

C) Stop on the string that recovers the fastest and block the incoming attack. Example TTT, TT recovers almost instantly compared to TTT.

D) YOLO
Some moves allow you to cancel into a heavy attack by reoushing triangle and holding or repush block and triangle. You'll get damaged but it wont interrupt your attack (the "i got hit" animation is ignored)
Ayane's has butt load of iframes
KG I believe has iframes 98% sure
Kasumi's recovers instantly
I think lunars might have iframe

If you playing on the ps3, I can help you on the trials or invite you to the ng group chat but it has died down since almost everyone quit till NG4 lol.

In my personal opinion and experience with the game. Saving ki for meditation for healing is a waste.

1)Ninpo (void imo is the best since it fills quick and can heal a lotttttt if you use it right. Inferno close 2nd)
2)Ki evade
3)Mediation(I dont think i ever used it in story lol

But for ninja trials its a different story.

Last edited:

PuertoRicanStyL

I'm on the Xbox brotha. Thanks for the offer though.

Thanks for the tips! They really helped me out a lot.

That video was dope man. You were beating the crap outa them with that Lunar. That part was epic. It made me go back into story mode and get my Hyabusa on, lol. I been sticking with the DS for now though, but still having lots of fun. I'm definitely learning the Lunar Staff next, hahahah.

I've embraced the 'get the hek outa there' strategy. Sometimes I just gotta run around and reset the situation and get some room to breathe. I really like the A.I. in this game compared to the other games, as far as minions. While it can seem cheap at times (I guess), it's cool how much they dodge and block.

Even though I'm only in the early levels of Acolyte trials, those monster guys with the wolverine claws have a lotof health! Plus they're super agile. After playing them, it's nice having the story mode dudes get de-limbed so much easier and not being so agile and aggressive. But I'm also only playing on normal, hahah. Workin mah way up.

Skull challenges are nuts. All those enemies, then a dam boss.. I already know shit is gonna get ridiculous the farther I go.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Well then you will love the ultimate ninja trial. They are packed with multiple bosses and you have to fight more than one at the same time lel.
Like ultimate ninja 10 has: 2 Marbus, 3 Liz, 2 Zed, 3 genshin, 3-4 doku, and 3 Fiend genshin. Its nuts lmao

lol those spider claws are annoying as fuck. Running around so fast like little spiders xD.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
"I've embraced the 'get the hek outa there' strategy. Sometimes I justgotta run around and reset thesituation and get some room tobreathe. I really like the A.I. in this game compared to the other games, as far as minions. While it can seem cheap at times (I guess), it's cool how much they dodge and block."

Yea, when I get overwhelmed I just run around windpath jumping on enemies head while I think of what to do next lol xD

A.I I like but its cheap at times

PuertoRicanStyL

Yea in the trials you really have no choice but to do that, lol. Too many enemies, too much health (hard to de-limb) and too aggressive. I'm only on normal story mode so far, but the acolyte trials makes the story feel much easier after dealing with all that chaos, lol.

I saw some videos of those trials in ultimate ninja mode.. Why..? Lmao. So many bosses, and fighting three at once while you only have one health bar with no healing (besides meditation and landing ninpo) on top of them doing ridiculous damage when they hit you! I saw some co-op action of it which looked cool cause you can bring the other person back to life, and saw some solo action of em. One thing I took from both videos was the beauty of the 360 Scythe spam, lol.

I was stuck on an early skull challenge the other day (where the boss flies in the air) for almost an hour before I quit. I was only using the DS, but I figured since I'm only on normal mode and the enemies aren't ridiculous, I should be able to eventually get it. And I was getting good enough to where I could make it to the boss with about (if not) a full bar of health with the help of meditation. But the boss and his minions just kept draining my life whenever I made a mistake. The DS just doesn't do enough damage to him and draws the battle out too long. So after learning/seeing the Scythe technique, I went back and wrecked shop, hahah. Couldn't believe how fast the boss went down and was relieved at how good it works. I'll save all that "honor" with the DS shite for another time, hahah.

Yea the A.I. in RE is awesome. But the cheap stuff like them recovering instantly (from what seems to be) critical hits that make them stumble hard, then throwing or interrupting you with an attack sucks. I'm sure there's other stuff I haven't came across yet.

Random thought. Would have been cool if they let us use our custom ninja in chapter challenge to derp around in. It's much more laid back than trials, so you can enjoy it without much stress. SOB is awesome. I like leaving the weapon in em for a little bit before I hit the button again to finish em, lol. Getting 3 or 4 in a row is sweet.

Last edited:

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
^^
You can use custom ninja in story/chapter challenge but you have to edit your save file. Its cool cuz you get back the NG3 ninpo void LOL

The flying boss, Zed, Marbus? DS DS wrecks all the bosses bro. Don't get comfy with the 360 or your skills won't improve :p. But sometimes its fun just spamming 360 and wrecking everything haha.

Yea, those instant recoveries are annoying sometimes but thats when the Ki evade becomes useful since you can activate it instantly, even if you are in recovery frames or in a middle of a combo.

PuertoRicanStyL

Hmm, that's good to know. I must've been doing the wrong sequence of attacks then when I got chances to hit him and I'm delusional in thinking I was doing better than I actually was, hahah.. I'm not sure of his name. He's not the one that was in NG2 though. He shoots the purple fireballs and does an attack where he winds up by spinning then launches himself at ya.

And yea you're right. Can't get better at surviving and learning how to deal with certain enemies if there's not much urgency to by using 360 Scythe spam.

Oh so you can use custom ninjas in chapter challenge with some finagaling? That's awesome! Ima have to look up how to do all that. Thank you!

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Hmm, that's good to know. I must've been doing the wrong sequence of attacks then when I got chances to hit him and I'm delusional in thinking I was doing better than I actually was, hahah.. I'm not sure of his name. He's not the one that was in NG2 though. He shoots the purple fireballs and does an attack where he winds up by spinning then launches himself at ya.

And yea you're right. Can't get better at surviving and learning how to deal with certain enemies if there's not much urgency to by using 360 Scythe spam.

Oh so you can use custom ninjas in chapter challenge with some finagaling? That's awesome! Ima have to look up how to do all that. Thank you!

Np , I think the values are, 0 = unknown ninja/Ryu 1 = Ryu/Unknown Ninja 2 = Ayane 3 = Momiji/Kasumi 4 = Kasumi/Momiji

Oh, that boss is Marbus (from NG1). For him you can basically just go all out YOLO and whip out long strings of combos and then just surge at the end to avoid the dash/grab. Or you can do like SSSTTTT then when he about to dash jump away from him and do a flying swallow to take away some extra bit of HP. Or cash away, windpath, flying swallow. Just got to time it right or say bye bye to like 75% of your HP xD.

Good luck and keep me updated on your progress!

PuertoRicanStyL

Will do! For the moment, I can't get enough of the game (till I hit a wall in skull challenge, lol). I'm like, trying to do everything at once, hahahah. Switching between story mode, chapter challenges with Kasumi and Momoji, building/trying to unlock some sweet gear for my custom ninja and learning the weapons in that training room.

They did a really good job redeeming themselves with this game as far as the combat after the fail that was NG3. I only played the demo of it, but that was all I needed to do. After playing the demo for this, I went and got it. Eye of the tiger. I could see it, lol.

As far as that other talk. Levels and story. Meh, whatever. That stuff can be decent as far as I'm concerned. It's all about the combat for me.. Of course I'd like to see sweet level designs, but I'm fine with less than spectacular stuff. While it can add to the experience, those things don't make the game for me, personally.. Anyways, I have... I guess faith would be the word, that NG4 will be good after seeing the turnaround from NG3 to NG3RE. I would be willing to pre-order NG4.

PuertoRicanStyL

Dam that blue winged bastard, lol. I'm trying to get that Kasumi costume for beating the 50 trials with her, but this dude man, is putting a nice halt on all that, hahah. I've only fought him about 8 times so far (that's including the retrys), but I've only got him down to around half health. Even went as far as looking on youtube for help/tips, but it seems no one has found a strong strategy to fight him with her. Just her 360Y when he does his tornado spin, and other than that just stick and move.

Since I'm here. Is there certain buttons to press to shake out of grabs and ground n pounds (like the big purple fiends do)? I just kind of hit all of em plus shake the stick, hahah. I suppose I could go let myself get grabbed and test stuff, but just thought I'd ask in case you knew a specific way.. I know you can shake out of the red grabs before they suicide on you if you recognize and shake fast enough, but oh my lord is it so funny when the ninjas pull out that big ass bomb when they have you mounted, lol.

And this is just random. Have you ever seen em struggle like this in the video at 2:10, 3:12, and 3:34 while doing a SOB?. It's just something I noticed because I wait a lil bit to slice through em almost every time I do the SOB (lol) and I've never seen an enemy do this.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD