Nioh General Discussion

SilverForte

Who gives a crap, as long as the game is fun.

I'll download the demo when I get home, never played a souls game so I won't have anything to compare it to. I'll give my thoughts.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Wow, this game is visually unappealing! O: Art direction, modelling, texturing, lighting, animation, image quality. Each of these look pretty poor. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are absolute beauties in comparison.

Image quality - NiOh has two options I'm settings.

Movie - higher resolution at the cost of framerate
Action - lower resolution but 60fps

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
If you want the best out of the game in regards to challenge or visual hinderance, you might as well leave it on Action.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
yeah this is probably the hardest modern game ive played since...

actually it might be the hardest just based on the fact my K/D ratio in a single player game is probably in the negative.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Yeah. This game can make you pretty frustrated as a player, but in a good way. It makes you want to play it more until you finish it.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
How does the Jutsu commands work when you go to the pray options. (Section for Amrita)

Also high stance spear fucking pwns them to oblivion, just be careful with your stamina using it. You don't want to challenge multiple enemies and get ax swinged right after. That stuff hurts, like literally.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
How does the Jutsu commands work when you go to the pray options. (Section for Amrita)

Also high stance spear fucking pwns them to oblivion, just be careful with your stamina using it. You don't want to challenge multiple enemies and get ax swinged right after. That stuff hurts, like literally.

get ninja or magic points from leveling up and use those to unlock the skills. you can then equip them on the D-pad.

just_me

Standard Donor
Well… finished both available missions and am pleasantly surprised tbh
Given my series fatigue with the Souls games I didn't think I'd enjoy the demo as much as I did.

Combat feels nice for the most part, can't roll your face over the controller and still kill the enemies like most other games these days :p
I wish there was a bit more combo variety though. I guess having the option to determine the strong ender at different stages of a light combo might be enough… you can currently only set the same ender for all combos (and I think only the katana has 2 different strong ender skills atm anyway) I really like the stamina/Ki management, depleting enemy stamina to use finishers and having to watch your stamina close enough to not overcommit and e.g. trigger the recovery animation, if you try to dodge… that killed me quite a few times XD

Stances are a nice touch and it works really well and fluent during combat, though I don't really use the low stance a lot. The damage output in this stance seems a bit too low. The skills trees are also nice, quite a few passives in there, but whatever… TW3 considers itself an RPG and the skill trees are almost exclusively passives. And even if they erm… death system… is ripped off from DS, they at least added a spin – you loose your sprit as well, but can choose to call it right back at the shrine, leaving all “XP” behind (and apparently some items as well… though there aren't any items in the demo that seems to meet that criteria)

UI is pretty and highly usable (compared to Souls games anyway), level design is clever enough (shortcuts etc.), the Yokai look pretty cool as well as the Bosses and the Boss fights were interesting.

The thing that bothered me the most was the loot… too much stuff to loot, same items over and over with different levels and random perks etc. It's a standard RPG trash loot system and I really don't like that lol

Potential is certainly there… let's see if it translates well to a full game.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Just beat the first mission. Enemies hurt a lot and challenging more than 2 at a time is ridiculous.
Took a while to get used to how combat actually works. No invincibility on rolling is something I'm not used to and the stamina depletion thing is a real pain at the worst moments.
Try mission two tomorrow. Was starting to get mentally exhausted around the fifth attempt against the boss.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm enjoying the little I've played so far. Some gripes but I'm waiting til I finish the demo before voicing them.

AsheMann21

At this point in time, I've managed to obtain the hammer and spear. That gave a little more room to breathe. So far, everything looks good

NinjaRayMan

I have the same gripes I do with Bloodborne. 1 hit kills are way too common and are plain cheap.

Lock-on is more annoying than helpful. If you don't use it in 1 on 1 fights, you whiff attacks to the enemy standing right in front of you and when using it in group battles you get hit by people your not locked on to.

I also spent more time in the menus sorting loot and reading than I would've liked. Having weapons and armor have durability is kind of pointless since the item drops are so often.

The game is in pretty good shape for an alpha demo. I got that Ninja Gaiden sense of accomplishment when I started having success; looking forward to seeing and playing more of Nioh.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Finished NiOh demo. Jesus. Those archers, one yellow horned brutes, and electric dog boss or whatever it is was so damn stupid and annoying.

Kensei25

Spent a few hours on the demo last night. So far, hugely impressed......love the new combat system Team Ninja has developed. Something that is nearly equally satisfying as Ninja Gaiden but in a different way.

Radiance

It's fun and quite challenging, once I learned how to manage my stamina and watch my opponents it became slightly easier. Definitely a game of patience. The difficulty is very enjoyable is a awkward way lol. Still trying to understand stances

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Tip for stamina:

When your stamina partially depletes due to a move, it goes red and starts filling the red area with white. During that, if you press R1 it will insta fill it.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD