Nioh General Discussion

Kirito

I've never played a Souls game, but this is just way too hard. 1-hit kills are absurd, there is no tutorial (you're supposed to figure it out yourself?), dodging takes stamina, why the f is there even a stamina bar, and there's no point in having a health bar if you're just going to die in 1-2 hits.

After playing 15 minutes of it and dying over and over, I deleted the demo. I had expectations, but none of which were met. It tries to blend the difficulty of Dark Souls with the look and feel of Onimusha (an action game, btw) and doesn't meet either halfway.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
When your stamina partially depletes due to a move, it goes red and starts filling the red area with white. During that if you press R1 it will insta fill it.
Well, fill it at the point where you pressed R1. You could recover none of if you press right away or some to all of it depending on when you press R1 (or X/dodge in Low Stance). It starts stamina recovery at that point as well rather than if you don't press R1.

Noticed that dodging is also different in each stance with weapons active when you tap x twice or more. Low Stance you get dashes that can chain into each other, Mid Stance you can dash into a roll, High Stance is straight up rolling, weapon sheathed you get the Mid Stance dash into roll.

Attacking is also different (obviously). I pretty much only use Katana when I go into Low stance but you can keep attacking as long as you don't run out of stamina (if you do just recover it or let it fill back up). The Stamina Recovery with dashing is unique to Low Stance.

Mid stance you get up to four attacks but is a stance that is balanced between rushdown and high damage. Defensewise the best one for blocking and parrying.

High Stance you can attack up to three times, twice with basic attacks and a third time with a special triangle attack.

Each stance has a Combo Ender that can extend the combo by one attack but not necessarily one hit. In this demo the Katana has three finishers but the third can only be used in High Stance. You have to learn these special attacks but you start with Kick which you can use in Mid and Low Stance.

When an opponent runs out of stamina their bar glows red. Some enemies you have to knock down (mostly humans with heavy armor on) then followup with the finisher while unarmored enemies you can just use a finisher. Yokai and Bosses I can't figure out how to perform finishers on. Humans are tied to Mid Stance Triangle for Katana (twice for armored ones, you have to knock them on their ass first with a first triangle), I can't quite figure out Axes or Spears.

More or less I've been only using Katana, Axes and Spears are too slow for my preferred style of play.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I've never played a Souls game, but this is just way too hard. 1-hit kills are absurd, there is no tutorial (you're supposed to figure it out yourself?), dodging takes stamina, why the f is there even a stamina bar, and there's no point in having a health bar if you're just going to die in 1-2 hits.
The tutorial is there, it's just incredibly unnoticeable. In the opening area it flashes up on the bottom of the screen how to do things and you can view what parts of the tutorials you've unlocked in the Amrita Memories tab of the options menu. You can start to look at it like Dark Souls but you have to move past that once you figure out how the core mechanics work. Dark Souls has a very bare bones approach to a tutorial as well.

Overall I like it now that I've stop questioning how the game plays. A good bit of fun but I'm stuck on the second boss. Can't get it to half health without some weird hitbox thing going on where it can swipe me but I'm right beside it.

Last edited:

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
You can loop samuaris with the axe heavy stance.

Unlock the high stance air slam ender and you can keep doing square, triangle

KwonJigglypuff

Game is way to hard for me (never played Souls) but I'm interested in the mechanics, in the atmosphere and in William's character.

I'm hoping for some balance... it's too frustrating coming back from work/school and getting mad at a game because of so many KOs.

Good stuff (for me) : Atmosphere, stances, customization/leveling, graphics, chara-design, yokais, AI
Bad stuff (for me) : Difficulty, stupid deaths, frame rate, lack of combos, stiffness of the moves...

Last edited:

SilverForte

Game seems pretty difficult, I've never played a souls game, but this is intriguing me so far. I need to finish it this weekend.

Chapstick

Game is way to hard for me (never played Souls) but I'm interested in the mechanics, in the atmosphere and in William's character.

I'm hoping for some balance... it's too frustrating coming back from work/school and getting mad at a game because of so many KOs.

Good stuff (for me) : Atmosphere, stances, customization/leveling, graphics, chara-design, yokais, AI
Bad stuff (for me) : Difficulty, stupid deaths, frame rate, lack of combos, stiffness of the moves...
Frame rate? I never had a problem with that. Though I think I have it on action mode

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Loving the Alpha now that I've had more time with it. Finished the first area and got my Mark of the Conqueror but not before scouring the place to find everything I could. Found all of the Kodama (those blessings are awesome) too. Summoning the Revenants is probably my favorite part of the game so far. In addition to the Raidou one mentioned earlier, you can also find a special Revenant in the actual Producer of the game, Kou Shibusawa. He's hidden a bit on the first map at the very end (if you go to the boss fight on the ship you will miss him) and he's guarded by a single-horned demon. Once you summon him he comes in at level 20 and has some pretty brutal gear. He drops the majority of it from what I can tell and his katana is a badass rare one (purple loot) with a Lightning element.

I also recorded a quick clip of the parry skill in action. If you aren't using it, start. It takes some skill to use since it is timing based but it does work on any enemy that tries to strike you. Because of the way bosses are set up, it doesn't really work on them that I've seen. Here:

I want to finish everything before I share more but do not make the mistake of assuming it is a Souls clone. Playing it like a Souls game, despite the large amount of...influence those games have on Nioh's design, will only frustrate you. The game is much faster-paced at its core and riffs on the Souls formula in what I feel like is a pretty refreshing way. Plus at this stage a lot of the similarities at the surface may just be placeholder since, you know, the Souls games are out and work and probably don't need to be Team NINJA-ified yet. This is to get a taste of the gameplay and I quite enjoy what's there.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I wish that was the case. The amount of Souls style in this game is ridiculous and largely unneeded. did we really need glowing corpses, Amrita, tuning spells, or a forced in online component?

If we end up with a bland protagonists that says nothing in an unclear plot I'm going to be pissed. I want to play as William not some create-a-character

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
It's Souls style. Gonna have to get over that or don't play. No use complaining the car you're looking at isn't manual if you aren't going to buy it.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
so im suddenly not allowed to criticize it? what if im going to buy the fucking car can i complain then? you know when they're specifically putting out a message saying "tell us what you think" ?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Great game. Changing the auto-target settings, up/down icon and camera mode is a must, though. Otherwise you end up struggling far more than necessary for all the wrong reasons. Finished things up today and I was pleased with what I got out of it.

After playing 15 minutes of it and dying over and over, I deleted the demo. I had expectations, but none of which were met. It tries to blend the difficulty of Dark Souls with the look and feel of Onimusha (an action game, btw) and doesn't meet either halfway.

It does, when you play it correctly. The action component doesn't come into play until after you pass the "Wtf am I doing wrong?" barrier, and there is simply no way you did that in 15 minutes.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Anyone have tips for the boss in the ship? Dude is kicking my ass.
Kekkai and bring a better weapon than what you are using. Also attack him when he expends stamina for the stagger.

so im suddenly not allowed to criticize it? what if im going to buy the fucking car can i complain then? you know when they're specifically putting out a message saying "tell us what you think" ?
That wasn't criticism. You complained that it has a ton of Souls stuff and speculated that the characterization will piss you off. Put your victim card away.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
The ninjutsu. You negate the yokai aoe areas and have increased stamina recovery for some time. Great in a pinch but if you control where the areas appear you won't need them.
I baited his "overhead" attacks, run in hit once or twice, and get way out before he spins around because you were too close. Repeat until phase 2 where he loses the ball and chains after deleting his stamina (I managed yo do that before he his 75% health remaining, it's really easy reducing these bosses ki in phase 1). You can bait the attacks by running up to him and veering off slightly to the left or right as you get close. Dashing helps and he can't hurt you unless he decides to spin around instead of using his dual overhead smash. Reducing his stamina then wailing on him with strong attack when he is out moves to phase two.
In phase two he loses the restraints but is now able to throw the balls at you. Moves faster but imo this is the easier phase. He has a couple attacks that have quite a bit of recovery so you have to take advantage of those, the most obvious being when he tries to swing at you twice and falls on his back or face. A good opportunity is when he runs over to a ball to throw them at you. You can smack him as much as you want and he won't stop to smack back until he has thrown the ball at you.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The entire pacing of the game changes in boss fights and you have to play slow and methodical and not get greedy. The Kekkai allows you to be greedy and get away with it for a little bit but it's a crutch and if your weapon isn't up to snuff or your Ki isn't high enough you'll lose anyway.

Me killing the final boss of the Alpha WITHOUT using the Sloth talisman.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD