DOA5U Phase 4 match video and critique thread

ShinMaruku

Thanks for the pointers. I will try to add more thing to mix it up. I'll keep your things in mind. Are there other teleports I should be weaving in as well?

ninjaguy446

Thanks for the pointers. I will try to add more thing to mix it up. I'll keep your things in mind. Are there other teleports I should be weaving in as well?
1PP Chifu and 66PP Chifu.

1PP Chifu is preferable in stun. If you do it outside of stun against anyone with a clue you'll probably die. Mix it up when they start holding it during stun so you can do 1P, they hold, 236T or 33T for HCH damage.

You can use 66PP Chifu on block or in stun. On block be careful because the second hit is a high so good players will duck it and punish you. Same thing during stun, they might hold the second punch. That said, you can still probably catch some people off guard. Just be wary of using it too much since it's not really an abusable tool.

Chapstick

imo 3P~chi and PPP~chi are the best stun extenders. Quick, easy, and the stun is huge. P6P and P+K aren't worth the strict input and idk why people use them other than against sidesteps. Someone who does use these to extend stuns, can you explain the benefits over 3P and PPP? I must be missing something. 3P and P+K are both mid P's and PPP and P6P both start high with PPP being much much harder to hold after the first hit.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
If you want to extend your stun with a mid punch, there is no reason for not using 3P. It's faster and safer as everything else (except 6P, but it's stun is ass), causes a lift stun that is deeper as P+Ks (which means the opponent cannot hold for a longer time) and allows easier transition into chifu, as Chapstick said. The thing with P6P is that it goes high > mid with two hits, while anything with PP takes one more, but I can't imagine any situation where this would be a real benefit for the stun game.

ninjaguy446

imo 3P~chi and PPP~chi are the best stun extenders. Quick, easy, and the stun is huge. P6P and P+K aren't worth the strict input and idk why people use them other than against sidesteps. Someone who does use these to extend stuns, can you explain the benefits over 3P and PPP? I must be missing something. 3P and P+K are both mid P's and PPP and P6P both start high with PPP being much much harder to hold after the first hit.
You're right. I usually use 3P and PPP like you said, but sometimes I opt for P6P instead just to keep them on their toes. If I keep doing PPP to extend stun they'll eventually catch on. It's just a personal preference thing.

Chapstick

You have to keep in mind you're -10 after 6PP and an opponent that knows that will throw punish you every time. 6PP is fairly delayable so keep that in mind too instead of pushing out the second P ASAP as you can sometimes catch someone trying to throw or attack thinking you won't do the followup.

Your juggles could use some work. Moments like 1:16 in the first replay don't make sense but I'm guessing that was a case of hitting buttons.

ShinMaruku

Best advice my limited know how to give a pointer is sometimes if people are caught blocking high after the exploratory 6p you can do 1k to knock them down. Or if they are anticipating a follow up on 6pp or 5pkk you can do 6p 6HKK and knock them back.
But that's my limited experience. I also try to fish for counter so 236T and 214T(Mainly as a finisher on a danger zone) so you can follow the 236T with a 4p 6pkk Teleport cancel or if the weigh class is heavier 8kk Telport grab.

But I may be giving bad advice who knows. :p

Zero Beat

After 236T, the Phase player should have done 4P 4K~P+K Chifu K~P+K Tenfu K~P+K Chifu P. Much more damage than they got, and it was at the right distance for that sequence to get a wall splat, which would do at least 1 more damage then ending with Tenfu T.

They also need to learn when the last K in a KKK/PKKK juggle string will whiff, because if it does, Phase is left wide open for a wakeup kick. I'm working on breaking that habit myself.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
A little Phase 4 action in my scene this week.
Be gentle...

I wouldn't say your friend did a lot of heavy mistakes. He already has some very good ideas in mind.

Right at the start for example, he's doing 2P into 6P. Since LR, thats pretty good since 2P can stop Ayane's annoying lows and she's still at neutral after it, having an 11 frame move as opportunity. He's also going for raw counterhit- launch attempts with 4K, which is great for getting fast and easy damage on reads. You won't see that move throw punished often.

At 1:15, he's doing a raw 9K. I guess his intention was to crush a low, though I wouldn't recommend to use this move for that because it doesn't pay off that much if it hits. 66K would be a better choice there, it also offers more safety.

If he wants to crush wakeup kicks, he's better of trying it with 33K, because that allows a lot more damaging juggle and is not crucial on whiff because Phase will just fall to the ground if she misstimes it and get's hit.

However, he shouldn't mind about the juggles that much, applying the correct and more damaging ones comes automatically with time.

For everything else, I'd say it was just the problem of being unfamiliar with the opponents character. Ayane has so much dumb stuff that you really need to know what to watch out for and how to avoid it. Being a bit more flexible in spacing might help there too, maybe that's what he could work on a bit, e.g. moving in faster with 3P+K or so.

Last edited:

Chapstick

I get the feeling you're going autopilot in these fights.

It's been a while since I posted something so here's a vid. Nothing special and I screwed up a few times. I need to use 1P/1PP outside of stun less. ;/ I'm usually trying to counter hit or crush something with it since it has decent enough range and ducks pretty well.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Thanks for the tips guys :)! His fundamentals are pretty decent in general and just came up with juggles as we were playing along. Lol, c'mon @ToKyo PewPew, Ayane doesn't have that much dumb stuff xD! Actually, I'm guilty as charged, I abuse Ayane's dumb stuff whenever possible, especially on Yurlungur >:D!

Edit: *hildaisahooker*, That wouldn't happen to be Yurlungur would it @Chapstick? xD

Last edited:

ShinMaruku

His Phase 4 is much better than mine. I'll give him that. He got fundamentals I don't quite have them yet.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
3 times you did 6PP after launching, muscle memory?
I think an issue I find is that there is a little too much autopiloting with moves that are quite frankly hitting more often than they should be (like 6PP), and can definitely get blown up by an opponent that knows how to defend against it. It's like me starting my offense with Ayane's 6PP everytime I get some sort of opportunity. It's great when it hits, but can easily become a liability against a competent opponent. However, in perspective, defense is a bitch online...

LMAO.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD