Soul Calibur Thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Only console exclusive guest characters (ex: Link, Spawn, Heihachi, Star Wars characters) are banned, if I remember correctly. Ezio was allowed, because he was playable for both Xbox and PlayStation consoles.

Makes sense. I swear, what was the point of console exclusivity characters when they are just going to be banned later. Waste of slots.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
From what I remember i don't think devil jin was exclusive but ezio was but I didn't care for him much anyway

Nyte

Ezio was on both consoles.

Speaking of which, who should be the guest character(s) of SCVI? I was thinking Geralt of Rivia would be a good fit, maybe they could also get 2B as well.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
From what I remember i don't think devil jin was exclusive but ezio was but I didn't care for him much anyway

Ezio is pretty cool, but yeah I see what you mean.

Speaking of which, who should be the guest character(s) of SCVI? I was thinking Geralt of Rivia would be a good fit, maybe they could also get 2B as well.

There was a recent new article (this year a few days ago literally) that Cloud from Final Fantasy almost made the cut for the PS2 version of Soul Calibur according to Soul Calibur 2 localization producer Nao Higo:

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/916573018117177345
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017...s_nearly_the_guest_star_in_ps2_soulcalibur_ii
https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/eight-four-play/

If SC sequel makes the drop, Cloud could to be a close candidate given that he almost made the cut. The character also has been used in technical demo test for the PS4 test as a temporary mascot. I never played any of the SCs so unknown how others would feel about this. The possibility is still open for this since it's a basic trend. Even people from FF forums are pushing this despite some that probably haven't played the series either.

I don't really care for Cloud and unknown if I'll play the SC series but given with SC's lore, he could fit. I'd pick someone else but that's just me.

Last edited:

Nyte

About DLC. Do you guys think they'll use it to bring back previously cut characters, add completely new ones, and/or add more guest characters? I feel like they're going to do this for more money, but if done well it'd be worth it.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
About DLC. Do you guys think they'll use it to bring back previously cut characters, add completely new ones, and/or add more guest characters? I feel like they're going to do this for more money, but if done well it'd be worth it.
They'll probably do DLC support so they can bring back both old and new characters. If they can sell clothes why not new characters?

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
They'll probably just add more costumes for DLC.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
But DLC characters are standard nowadays and it'd be a great way to make more money and extend the life of the game.
True, but which characters should they add for DLC? The least popular ones from the character poll years ago? Patroklos was probably the most hated so I doubt PS would even consider him for DLC. I could see someone else from SCV as DLC character.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Character addition doesn't extend the life of the game for downloadables. Game support from the developers that leads into characters/content/updates is what extends the life of the game, as well as community feedback. Sane community feedback that is.

Nyte

True, but which characters should they add for DLC? The least popular ones from the character poll years ago? Patroklos was probably the most hated so I doubt PS would even consider him for DLC. I could see someone else from SCV as DLC character.
If for whatever reason there's some glaring omissions, then they could use DLC to bring them back. If we're all set, they could use this for brand new characters and guests.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Any form of content does tbh, costumes and music are for casuals and new characters do extend the longevity of the game for both casual and competitive characters since it adds more to the game and competitive scene. SFV is super competitive and that's because they constantly do patches based on feedback and add a plethora of content and characters like the latest one Menat

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Again, it's the effort put by the developers and community feedback along with updating their game overall, if game is no longer being updated then it's not being in support anymore. SFV could run with just one character in the character select screen and it can be around for a set of 5 years but nobody wants that really. Game content also means characters included yes but not guaranteed, that also comes from their overall support whether they include a new character or guests or whatever it is.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Usually it is popular characters that they offer as additional DLC, because they want to make money with them. ;)

I guess the game will have about 20-25 characters in its initial roster and they will had 5-10 characters as DLC. Of course they will have many of the popular ones in the initial roster, but I bet they leave out several popular ones that they will sell to us later down the line.

Here are the 30 most popular characters of the poll again:

1. Talim - 862
2. Taki - 720
3. Mitsurugi - 594
4. Ivy - 536
5. Kilik - 536
6. Siegfried - 500
7. Nightmare - 498
8. Zasalamel - 471
9. Yoshimitsu - 454
10. Tira - 438
11. Sophitia - 378
12. Cassandra - 339
13. Amy - 311
14. Yun-seong - 295
15. Seong Mi-na - 291
16. Cervantes - 268
17. Voldo - 259
18. Xianghua - 257
19. Raphael - 254
20. Setsuka - 214
21. Viola - 201
22. Maxi - 199
23. Hwang - 193
24. Hilde - 154
25. Astaroth - 142
26. Z.W.E.I. - 113
27. Natsu - 100
28. Pyrrha - 98
29. Xiba - 81
30. Lizardman - 76

I can see them selling characters like Cervantes, Cassandra, Setsuka, Viola, Hwang etc. as DLC.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Again, it's the effort put by the developers and community feedback along with updating their game overall, if game is no longer being updated then it's not being in support anymore. SFV could run with just one character in the character select screen and it can be around for a set of 5 years but nobody wants that really. Game content also means characters included yes but not guaranteed, that also comes from their overall support whether they include a new character or guests or whatever it is.
I guess I can see what you're saying in regards to that, as long as they keep supporting the game gameplay wise and content wise like I said I think it'll flourish

They'll probably do DLC characters the way they did Lost Swords in regards to who they add

Nyte

Usually it is popular characters that they offer as additional DLC, because they want to make money with them. ;)

I guess the game will have about 20-25 characters in its initial roster and they will had 5-10 characters as DLC. Of course they will have many of the popular ones in the initial roster, but I bet they leave out several popular ones that they will sell to us later down the line.

Here are the 30 most popular characters of the poll again:

1. Talim - 862
2. Taki - 720
3. Mitsurugi - 594
4. Ivy - 536
5. Kilik - 536
6. Siegfried - 500
7. Nightmare - 498
8. Zasalamel - 471
9. Yoshimitsu - 454
10. Tira - 438
11. Sophitia - 378
12. Cassandra - 339
13. Amy - 311
14. Yun-seong - 295
15. Seong Mi-na - 291
16. Cervantes - 268
17. Voldo - 259
18. Xianghua - 257
19. Raphael - 254
20. Setsuka - 214
21. Viola - 201
22. Maxi - 199
23. Hwang - 193
24. Hilde - 154
25. Astaroth - 142
26. Z.W.E.I. - 113
27. Natsu - 100
28. Pyrrha - 98
29. Xiba - 81
30. Lizardman - 76

I can see them selling characters like Cervantes, Cassandra, Setsuka, Viola, Hwang etc. as DLC.
They'll face a massive backlash if they cut popular characters just to sell them as DLC.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They'll face a massive backlash if they cut popular characters just to sell them as DLC.

So what? XD They don't care. All fighting games do that all the time.
Look who Tekken, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Injustice 2 left out...

They just can't bring back all of the 30 on that list...

Last edited:

Nyte

So what? XD They don't care. All fighting games do that all the time.
Look who Tekken, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Injustice 2 left out...
Injustice 2 won't have any DLC returnees, nor Tekken 7, so I don't see the argument there. Granted, those games did face a backlash for it, but not because they tried to sell them as DLC. After the poll, and the backlash of SCV, cutting out popular character probably isn't something PS wants to do.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I guess I can see what you're saying in regards to that, as long as they keep supporting the game gameplay wise and content wise like I said I think it'll flourish

They'll probably do DLC characters the way they did Lost Swords in regards to who they add

It's more than just seeing. It's what most games do in the general aspect and approach. To draw an audience and flourish in profitable returns, you need to create an approach that draws in a crowd from a casual and competitive perspective. Especially for a fighting game, you want a good game obviously, but you also don't want a game where profitable returns is diminished despite the game coming out good. Least now compared to back then where game content had to be completely redone in a whole new game where updates weren't provided by any sorts of media connections (thank the world that people don't have to go through that old shit anymore). Sometimes game support can last for years without any character added because of the game's support. Characters are part of content of course and I consider it to be #1 source to extension (just my opinion on that one), but that's not always a guaranteed which is what I mean't.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It's more than just seeing. It's what most games do in the general aspect and approach. To draw an audience and flourish in profitable returns, you need to create an approach that draws in a crowd from a casual and competitive perspective. Especially for a fighting game, you want a good game obviously, but you also don't want a game where profitable returns is diminished despite the game coming out good. Least now compared to back then where game content had to be completely redone in a whole new game where updates weren't provided by any sorts of media connections (thank the world that people don't have to go through that old shit anymore). Sometimes game support can last for years without any character added because of the game's support. Characters are part of content of course and I consider it to be #1 source to extension (just my opinion on that one), but that's not always a guaranteed which is what I mean't.
Oh I know, its just that with soul calibur the added characters and patch support will provide it a long life and I'm sure the game devs will continue to support. Plus SC has been on hiatus for a while now and at this point soul calibur fans like myself are just ready for a new game entry, i don't think it'll have to do much to draw in a crowd since SC is a popular franchise, its like Tekken and DOA, the rate at which they draw in crowds is like night and day as well as the support they supply and what exactly they choose to support mostly in(DOA prioritizes DLC costumes and characters while Tekken focuses on balance patches and online structure).

Injustice 2 won't have any DLC returnees, nor Tekken 7, so I don't see the argument there. Granted, those games did face a backlash for it, but not because they tried to sell them as DLC. After the poll, and the backlash of SCV, cutting out popular character probably isn't something PS wants to do.
Right! Plus Tekken won't charge for returning characters nor was it ever stated they left them out as a way to make money. Tekken won't anyway since if you've watched them add returning characters in arcades like Nina and Miguel they weren't made as paid dlc, so whenever they do add Anna for example in arcades she'll come on consoles without a price tag

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD