Tecmo Koei aiming to sell a million copies of DoA 5 in Sept., paid DLC confirmed

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
They tried making Ryu Hayabusa be Batman, but realized too late that no one is as cool as Batman. Batman is the one true Super Ninja.

d3v

Just as long as it's not on disc.

And fuck unlocking characters, if you've ever had to do all sorts of shit to unlock characters for a tournament (lol at flicking the coin switch in an MvC2 cab for 3 hours) you'd understand.

P.S. Over saturated? Outside of Capcom actually releasing new FGs again, we're seeing just about the same number of fighters this gen as we were back in the mid 2000's. When EA commissions a sequel to Rabbit (look it up) then we're saturated, until then, it's business as usual.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Just as long as it's not on disc.

Abd fuck unlocking characters, if you've ever had to do all sorts of shit to unlock characters for a tournament (lol at flicking the coin switch in an MvC2 cab for 3 hours) you'd understand.

DOA4 was horrendous.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
2U had the right idea. One quick jaunt through survival and you're golden.

d3v

Best unlock system ever from any FG is that from Skullgirls, because you didn't have to unlock anyone for versus (unlocks were only for singleplayr).

PhoenixVFIRE

Ok only cause I'm having a blonde moment. Paid DLC means I have to pay for it or it's already paid for? Paid is past tense that's why I'm confuzzled. Anyway, I'll only buy it if it's something worth buying like stages or costumes... Hopefully no characters >_>

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Paid DLC means you have to purchase the DLC in addition to the game. It is not "free" DLC. It's sometimes called "Premium" DLC as well.

Game Over

Ok only cause I'm having a blonde moment. Paid DLC means I have to pay for it or it's already paid for? Paid is past tense that's why I'm confuzzled. Anyway, I'll only buy it if it's something worth buying like stages or costumes... Hopefully no characters >_>

You're simply overthinking it. When people say "Paid" DLC, they are referring to DLC you have to pay for in order to download. It would be "Free" DLC if you didn't have to pay additional costs to download (like the DOA5 demo with the CE of NG3).

EDIT: Mr. Wah beat me by 7 mins. lol

MrMoon360

"And just to put that in perspective, Ninja Gaiden 3 shipped 630,000 units.."

So how many were sold in retail?..
Units shipped is worth mentioning why?.. That doesn't amount to actual sales lol

Keep telling yourself Ninja Gaiden 3 was a success, Tecmo.
Good job bro.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
KT doesn't have the responsibility to know or track how much the retailer sells to the customer. Their customers are the retail stores, the retail stores say "We need more units of <x>" so they sell them such. If they aren't selling then the retail stores don't request more inventory.

To see the next chain of sales (Retail to end users) you have to look at the retail store's reports but not all will give their data (Walmart is one of those and takes up 50% of the market in the US). It's typically good to assume that 75% of the shipped rate is units sold to end consumers but that's just a figure I pulled out of my ass.

MrMoon360

Makes sense.

I bet other games ship more than 650000 -- at launch. So this number is hardly impressive. But for Tecmo, I guess it is.
This game was released for 360 and PS3 simultaneously unlike previous NGs, so that could've played a part.

I think its safe to say that those 650k units are potentially 650k disappointed fans.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
If NG3 actually sold 400k units, I'd be surprised. The leaderboards were pretty barren and you were seeing a lot of the same people online in clan battles. Word of mouth was VERY negative and rightly so. I'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fan of the franchise than myself and I was utterly disgusted with it after kicking it up to Master Ninja. On Hard it was a passable action title but a terrible NG game.

...and I'm not talking about it anymore. The pain...it still burns.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I honestly dont think the Tekken fans are the fans who would be buying into DOA5 anyways.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
NG is the first franchise on the chopping block for them. Three consecutive NG titles have underperformed. Not a good thing.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Doesn't help people are trying to micro-develop their titles now and release them as unfinished games that become reliant on DLC and overly repentant fans.

Remember how long the first xbox NG was in development for? They've been able to release that game like 4 times now. That's what you can do when you stop cutting corners and rushing games out.

DOA 5 still has a lot of work to be done on it and they are already talking paid DLC... thats just not a strategy that agrees with me.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
honestly ... not to sound optomistic or anything ...
the game is a fresh change from everything else out there ...

i dont see why its not possible ...

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I think from E3 onwards the announcements will start to increase .. (character reveals , mechanics , stages) ..
the VF element is a factor on its own ... (needs more vf)
then theres the eye candy .. and the game has alot of it ...
the release timing is crap i agree ... but ... lets see how it plays out...

tecmo need to step up their advertising because namco aint gonna back down ...
WE are FIGHTERS vs .. WE are TEKKEN ... LETS GO !

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD