Tecmo Koei aiming to sell a million copies of DoA 5 in Sept., paid DLC confirmed

DyByHands

From lurking on many NG forums, I've gathered that it sold around 250k. Could be wrong, but thats what its looking like.
But, I think that DOA5 could sell a million... But, TN has the worst marketing.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well they need to stop giving off the lengthy metaphors and just answer questions straight for one thing. I don't understand why Team Ninja has a problem doing this lately.

At least when Itagaki was making up bullshit like "god hand" he was keeping his vagueness short. Hayashi always goes on like he's giving a lecture.

Itagaki got lots of free publicity because he was a loud mouthed asshole. Hayashi seems more introverted, so that isn't an option for him.

They aren't making no 1 million in sales though, not in september. Not unless they make this game something reeeeaally special.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Well they need to stop giving off the lengthy metaphors and just answer questions straight for one thing. I don't understand why Team Ninja has a problem doing this lately.

At least when Itagaki was making up bullshit like "god hand" he was keeping his vagueness short. Hayashi always goes on like he's giving a lecture.

Itagaki got lots of free publicity because he was a loud mouthed asshole. Hayashi seems more introverted, so that isn't an option for him.

They aren't making no 1 million in sales though, not in september. Not unless they make this game something reeeeaally special.

AEROSMITH ...

im just sayin ... >__>

DrDogg

I honestly dont think the Tekken fans are the fans who would be buying into DOA5 anyways.

While I'm sure both games have a user base that would only buy one over the other, I don't think there are enough people who would buy DOA over Tekken to hit that 1 million number.

I also don't think there are a large number of people who will buy both at launch. I could see people buying one in September and another for Christmas, but then you have to factor in Halo 4, CoD, etc.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I don't see a 1mil seller for the US.

Globally though, I can see it being done.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I had a dream where DOA games were released annually at full price, with pretty much the same levels every time, and the polish and innovations of the dynasty series.

OH WAIT, that was Capcom. And that was reality. Haha, my bad.

d3v

I had a dream where DOA games were released annually at full price, with pretty much the same levels every time, and the polish and innovations of the dynasty series.

OH WAIT, that was Capcom. And that was reality. Haha, my bad.
That was only in the 90s. Super SF4 and UMvC3 were released at lower than full price and AE was a $14 download for those who bought Super. Had the earhquake not happened, Ultimate would have been a $14 DLC expansion as well with 6 characters with the rest released earlier as DLC.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I remember waiting up until 5 or 6 in the morning for new Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow content, or the Hurricane Packs for Ninja Gaiden. DLC was exciting then. Now it's a corporate mandate that goes against even the wishes of the development teams. It's a tragedy.

synce

NG3 sold like 600K copies so far according to a Tecmo slide show.. RE:ORC sold even better despite being another huge turd. It's funny what brand recognition can do, that's why you have companies like Squeenix releasing shitty rhythm games with FF characters.

But yeah, gaming is doomed. I didn't buy any games this year or last, I think the last one I spent money on was FF13 and only because they promised no DLC. If I so much as hear pre-order bonus I make sure there's room on my RGH 360's hard drive. For DOA5 I'll make an exception because I want to play it online (yay PSN), but as far as the Disc Locked Content goes I'll be enjoying that on the 360 ;)

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
NG3 sold like 600K copies so far according to a Tecmo slide show.. RE:ORC sold even better despite being another huge turd. It's funny what brand recognition can do, that's why you have companies like Squeenix releasing shitty rhythm games with FF characters.

But yeah, gaming is doomed. I didn't buy any games this year or last, I think the last one I spent money on was FF13 and only because they promised no DLC. If I so much as hear pre-order bonus I make sure there's room on my RGH 360's hard drive. For DOA5 I'll make an exception because I want to play it online (yay PSN), but as far as the Disc Locked Content goes I'll be enjoying that on the 360 ;)

We've been talking about NG3 here already. It SHIPPED 600k copies. Those aren't necessarily sold to customers and usually aren't. Since copies can be sent back to the distributor they're not even guaranteed money for TK. Shipped copies are just a way of prettying up a figure that needs it.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
u know whats funny about ng3 ?
theres 2 types of fans ...
the old ones (ng1 and ng2 players) saw it as a half assed piece of shit
the new fans (never played ng1 or 2) which i know a few of ... enjoyed it .. and get a stomach ulcer when i see them talk about it ..

im not surprised with the 600k thing ...

personally i just got it for the alpha demo ... if thats another fanbase (although severely limited) could be a type 3 ...

ng3 was shit ... but so far doa5 has shown alot of promise gameplay wise and visually ... will it be enough to wash the ng3 stain ?.. it should be ..

because people need to get out there and say how good its acctually playing ... just like how everyone jumped on team ninja and said ng3 was shit ...

the way companies advertise for their most part these days is mainly focused on the internet ... and we (the fans) play a major role in this .. youtube clips, facebook and twitter hype .. and forums like this in addition to general forums ..

ofcourse the game has to be good enough for any of us to even consider giving it attention .. but that will be tecmo's job ... and I am sure they are aware of what has priority and it shows in both the alpha demo and whats been advertised so far (although little)

its a smart enough move that they put in the VF element in the game ... that alone has raised alot of eyebrows .. at least here in the UK where the VF scene is quite strong ..

1 million is possible ... i strongly believe so without sounding like an optimist .. but in the end .. only time will tell ..

FakeSypha

We've been talking about NG3 here already. It SHIPPED 600k copies. Those aren't necessarily sold to customers and usually aren't. Since copies can be sent back to the distributor they're not even guaranteed money for TK. Shipped copies are just a way of prettying up a figure that needs it.
Yep, pretty much. Shipped =/= Sold.
About reviews and how they impact on buyers, is not that clear. A bunch of bad (unpaid?) reviews can't boycott a game. Metacritic and its metascores as a whole is a different thing. Nowadays, some publishers have policies or clauses with the developer team, that involve reaching certain metascores for them to pay up some bonuses.
The thing is NG3 is actually a watered down, rushed game, and for that most reviews gave it lower scores (58 metascore, 4.1 user score).
Now, about DOA5. I'm not sure how big is RIGHT NOW the franchise in US or Europe. In Japan, there is a Kasumi-mania vibe that could boost sales, but considering last tittles were Xbox exclusives and knowing how much Xbox sells in Japan gives me the idea it won't sell in huge numbers there. At least, not for Xbox. Having it available for PS3 is actually great for that matter.
How much did sold DOA4? and DOAD? According to wikipedia (lol) DOA4 sold 1.2 million copies worldwide (no source, sadly). There are no numbers for Dimensions, but TecmoKoei admitted it didn't sell as much they hoped . A fighting game for a nintendo handheld that missed launch date, so got fucked by SF4... it's not that easy considering all those factors, even if considering the positive reviews it got (79 metascore).

selling 1 million copies in september (worldwide)? I don't see it. But then, I'm just a PT who plays videogames... I don't know jack shit.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Nowadays, some publishers have policies or clauses with the developer team, that involve reaching certain metascores for them to pay up some bonuses.
Not necessarily scores but aren't DOA4's poor sales the reason Itagaki and friends didn't get bonuses and that's what started Team Ninja's departure?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No, the company just didn't want to pay him his contractual bonuses, that's what started his departure.

PhoenixVFIRE

No, the company just didn't want to pay him his contractual bonuses, that's what started his departure.
So...since I never paid much attention to what happened, did he end up getting his money or did he just straight up leave and not bother?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
He sued them and I don't remember the result, settlement I think? and the one who pulled the strings to not pay him was let go from Tecmo.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD