The Fight Stick Thread

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
Hey guys.
I'm considering getting the DOA5 arcade stick soon as it only costs 131 US-dollars on Amazon.com, shipping included. And i'm thinking of getting an octogate from focusattack.com.

Is the stick worth the money? It has sanwa parts and i've read that is what you want in an arcade stick.
I would appreciate any tips and help since i am a arcade stick noob.

tonyz723

Hey guys.
I'm considering getting the DOA5 arcade stick soon as it only costs 131 US-dollars on Amazon.com, shipping included. And i'm thinking of getting an octogate from focusattack.com.

Is the stick worth the money? It has sanwa parts and i've read that is what you want in an arcade stick.
I would appreciate any tips and help since i am a arcade stick noob.

Ah, welcome to the amazing world of arcade sticks! Wow, arcade stick prices have actually been going up as of late, oddly enough. It's become harder to find new sticks... But anyways, unless you specifically want to DOA5 stick, I'd look around on places like ebay and the like to see if you can score one for around the $100 mark, which is about what I got my first one for. That said, if you're focused on the DOA5 one, it's a good stick, like you said it's got Japanese made sanwa parts, which is always a good start. Aside from that, unless you're getting a really cheaply made stick (and that Hori is not cheaply made), odds are the case for it is fine as well, meaning that if you want that stick, go for it.

Octo-gates are argued on by a lot of people, I personally bought an octo-gate, and it's NOT in any of my sticks. Ignore what anybody tells you about octo-gates being lame, if you like playing with them, that's absolutely fine, buuut, using an octo-gate makes it quite a bit harder to make diagonal inputs. With practice, it'll most likely become irrelevant, but, with practice, you'll be better on a square gate then you would with an octo-gate anyways. If you're playing a 3D fighter, like say Dead or Alive, typically diagonals are a big deal, and it being harder to make those inputs with the octo-gate sucks, trust me, I tried it. If you're playing 2D fighers, it becomes quite a bit harder to jump, so again, you're at a disadvantage. So my recommendation would be, stay away from an octo-gate because odds are you won't end up liking it anyways. If you do order the octo-gate anyways though, just get the insert from focusattack, you'll save a couple of bucks, since you'll never need to replace the actually plate.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
Ah, welcome to the amazing world of arcade sticks! Wow, arcade stick prices have actually been going up as of late, oddly enough. It's become harder to find new sticks... But anyways, unless you specifically want to DOA5 stick, I'd look around on places like ebay and the like to see if you can score one for around the $100 mark, which is about what I got my first one for. That said, if you're focused on the DOA5 one, it's a good stick, like you said it's got Japanese made sanwa parts, which is always a good start. Aside from that, unless you're getting a really cheaply made stick (and that Hori is not cheaply made), odds are the case for it is fine as well, meaning that if you want that stick, go for it.

Octo-gates are argued on by a lot of people, I personally bought an octo-gate, and it's NOT in any of my sticks. Ignore what anybody tells you about octo-gates being lame, if you like playing with them, that's absolutely fine, buuut, using an octo-gate makes it quite a bit harder to make diagonal inputs. With practice, it'll most likely become irrelevant, but, with practice, you'll be better on a square gate then you would with an octo-gate anyways. If you're playing a 3D fighter, like say Dead or Alive, typically diagonals are a big deal, and it being harder to make those inputs with the octo-gate sucks, trust me, I tried it. If you're playing 2D fighers, it becomes quite a bit harder to jump, so again, you're at a disadvantage. So my recommendation would be, stay away from an octo-gate because odds are you won't end up liking it anyways. If you do order the octo-gate anyways though, just get the insert from focusattack, you'll save a couple of bucks, since you'll never need to replace the actually plate.
I was going to get a octo-insert from focusattack.com actully :)
The reason for me of buying the stick on amazon is beacause they have free shipping to sweden, and if i buy one from ebay the shipping costs alot, like 60 bucks.
I have tried a square gate stick on doa and i don't know, always fuck up the inputs, so i might aswell get an octogate at the same time :)

Anyways, thanks for responding. I'll post a pic or vid when i have a stick!

tonyz723

I was going to get a octo-insert from focusattack.com actully :)
The reason for me of buying the stick on amazon is beacause they have free shipping to sweden, and if i buy one from ebay the shipping costs alot, like 60 bucks.
I have tried a square gate stick on doa and i don't know, always fuck up the inputs, so i might aswell get an octogate at the same time :)

Anyways, thanks for responding. I'll post a pic or vid when i have a stick!

No problem dude, sounds good, and have fun!

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I'm not sure if you've ordered your octo-gate yet but I don't know that I would recommend it. I felt like you, that I needed one, but I disliked it as soon as I installed it. It didn't help me at all, like I thought it would, and I've taken it off since. I'm still not great with a square gate, especially on the 2P side, but I do like the idea of playing as authentic to an arcade as possible.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
I got an octo inlet for 1$ and i got a fancy new ball to the stick :)
If i don't like the octo i will just take it out again and stick with the square.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
It arrived today :D

But when i plugged it in my PS3, the console could barely do anything. It just froze.
Is this a common problem?

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
I have played some with my stick now and I gotta say, i've become faster with dir. inputs but my holding has become really crappy. I tried to play with my octogate, but there was something wrong with it and i couldn't do any of the :3::1::7::9: attacks so I switched back to the squaregate.
I am very happy with my purchase, but I need to practice way more to become good again.

Tenren

30mm are the standard. I think the doa stick uses them pretty sure. From there it may need to be mod'd to fit the plugs. Most dont tho

Talim JP

Leifang practitioner
Premium Donor
Ya the Hori uses the 30mm buttons and I saw in a review there are quick disconnects on the buttons (some sticks have the buttons soldered onto the board) so other than gettin the bottom/top cover off of the stick changin them should be easy.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
I was thinking of switching out the boring white buttons to these colored buttons.

14_source__56365.1327989046.1024.768.jpg
16_source__48778.1327989251.1024.768.jpg
18_source__72229.1327989398.1024.768.jpg
20_source__14258.1327989534.1024.768.jpg

The idea was to have the same colors of the buttons like the PS3 controller. What do you think?

Tenren

if you look you can find clear buttons with removable tops. You can then print off the PS3 controller icons on colored paper to put under the top. Here's a pic on my TE with smoked clear buttons.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD