DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Whether or not a character is boring is irrelevant to their tier placement.

Oh, I just had to get some personal opinion off my chest.

Honestly, what I got from that paragraph from was "why bother playing this character when these alternatives have everything you need", because not everyone would do that. People will still play Eliot even if he's just plain not good enough.

If it was meant to imply something else, well, I dunno, I mean, that's life. Guys at TN offices like Christie? They won't touch her. If they think this character they don't like might end up being "too good", they'll take away their tools and add new ones meant to replace to force people to play that character a certain way.

I realize I'm being a whiny bitch, but I hope I'm at least trying to make a point while trying to make sense of what you said.

Brute

Standard Donor
I realize we don't talk much, but if you ask around, you'll find out pretty fast that I would be one of the last people to advocate such an approach.

My stance is basically: If you play low tier, you picked it voluntarily, and in doing so, accepted all the burdens and road-bumps that come with it.

As opposed to: If you play a low tier, you should pick again.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I have a problem with people who choose low tier and use that as an excuse, though. The "My character is garbage" OS is only second in scumminess to "I don't even play this game."

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
So, I said previously that I'd go though two matchups that I left and promised to expand on.

First one is :lisa: :bradwong:

I think I rated this at 5-5 though leaning toward 6-4 for Lisa's favour, but that's mostly because this matchup is a little weird in terms of approach for Lisa. Lisa doesn't have a quick high-mid string unlike Leon, Bayman, Rachel, Bass, but she still has good tracking strings like K6K, 4PK and 6PP, but they tend to fail at times for no reason as things like Brad's 4P2/8P transitions can actually crush even tracking mids like Bass' 6P at certain frames. She has 1P, despite not being fast enough for some sitations, it's definitely a solid option in most cases when trying to stop Brad crush and step at the same time.

In terms of punishment, the Brad player has to be careful not to use too many unsafe moves, since Lisa is a grab character and has the tools to punish -5 moves, especially if he tries to close space with 236P.

When it comes to mid-long range where Lisa, Brad can straight up avoid a lot of incoming options from running, like P, P+K, K or the running OH. Even Brad's PB can crush a lot of things, including mids. This may force the Lisa player to be more cautious and more creative in terms of approach.

One very good option against some of Brad's mixups is 4P+K. Despite being punishable, Brad players have to respect it. Sure, if someone fishes this out, it can be punished, but the reward outweighs the risk in this MU most of the time. Another very good tool against him is the low OH. Since Brad has a lot of options from crouching, including the WR kicks, it's usually a good idea for a character with a low OH to go for it. This can shutdown a lot of his options and the Lisa player can do above average damage.

I'll go through the :leon: :hayate: MU in another post.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Does anyone feel like challenging these? This is in my exp for Kasumi:

vs Akira 5-5
vs Alpha 6-4
vs Ayane 5-5 (No one is giving me a reason to think different)
vs Bass 6-4
vs Bayman ????
vs Brad Wong 6-4
vs Kokoro 6-4
vs Zack 6-4
vs Helena 5-5
vs Pai 5-5
vs Sarah 5-5
vs Jacky 5-5
vs Lisa 6-4 (listed this because I haven't seen anything different)
vs Rachel (leaning towards 6-4 but still ???)
vs Leon ????
vs Hayabusa 5-5
vs Rig 6-4
vs Mila ????
vs Hayate ????
vs Ein 6-4
vs Gen Fu ????
vs Kasumi 5-5
vs Momiji 5-5
vs Marie Rose ????
vs Jann Lee 6-4
vs Lei Fang 5-5
vs Tina ????
vs Hitomi 5-5
vs Eliot 6-4

I'm using a phone ATM but will edit the post with some that I explained recently.

Edit:

vs Momiji thoughts in General discussion: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/momiji-general-discussion.2835/page-17#post-188225

For Ayane, if this is looked at as a 4-6 match up, then 4-6 should be applied to characters like Christie, Pai, Jacky Akira & Sarah as well (although Jacky can actually whiff punish). The VF characters actually have it worse getting in than both Kasumi & Christie. They both do fine against her aggressive turtling. I personally don't see a reason to put this as a 4-6 because Kasumi can inch her way in with her footsies, 3P+K, 66K, 66H+K, & 66P & does fine on offense.

She has to be patient & can't go balls out like other matches, but she can move in. She doesn't have to solely rely on 3P+K to move in. Even with Ayane's P > BT8P that creates space, she can still move in fine. Now, am I saying that Kasumi doesn't have anything to fear? No, because Ayane's 3H+K ( bounds, guaranteed damage, even launchers & teching options) , P > BT8P (as I mentioned before), BT4H+K, BT4K, 236K, 4K (guaranteed damage, even a launcher), BT2K, P+K, BT6P, P4P > BT8P (another way to create space), BT3K 1P+K variants, these are some of the tools that she has to deal with. Along with her being able to jump away for more space, but Kasumi has 66K (66K~K to be safe at -3 if blocked) 3P+K to move in closer, or dash in. Now before someone comes in saying "you're going to get hammered by whiff punishment", I'm assuming that this Kasumi player's reaction is up to par along with the Ayane player.

Kasumi in close has stuff to go along with her pressure: H+K (guaranteed damage even with some launchers), 4H+K (guaranteed damage, even a few launchers & a few tech options from the bound state), tick throwing variety (6T, 4T, 214T, 236T, 66T which also has great guaranteeds, & 46T). Ayane has her crush variety, 6P, 2P, 8K, 1P, 4P & great holds to her defense. So she definitely can hold her own. She's is also good at punch-grabbing especially with 64H+P (64T), 214T, & 6T being in the presence. Both of them have great holds & okizeme. Ayane has 64H & 46H that gives her guaranteed damage while Kasumi has 1H, 46H, both guaranteeing a juggle & her parries. Both of them deal with wake ups just fine. Both net easy damage. Both have a good wall game. Both are great at the ceiling.

The hottest topic of this match up (Kasumi's match ups in general) it seems are her parries. There are often people who compare her parries to Gen Fu's Lei Fang's Akira's & such since their's do killer damage convincing them that her's doesn't really mean much. Better look & think again. They are fearsome, just you really haven't seen them being used. If they have been used or seen, then it's one that has been misplaced because the player doesn't know or understand how they're used.

Kasumi's parries pick up the frame advantage that she needs to where an opponent WILL NOT hit a button, attacking out of disadvantage. The objective for the Kasumi faithful is to go, take another character, & dissect their frame data when parried to see what can be done with the advantage that she picks up from them. This line is directed at people who like to say "she can parry, don't give a fuck, her's are not like Gen's, Lei's or Akira's".

They are situational. No, they don't always guarantee the damage, but she has the parries, they are there, they give her the frame advantage & you have to watch for them. I don't think a good Kasumi player would do anything indecisive with the frame advantage from them. That much we can all agree on. Hajin & AP both further prove my point in the Kasumi general discussion which was a touchy subject. One that I've always wanted to see discussed since this number (4-6) came about from a few nay-sayers: http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...asumis-gameplay-doa5u-discussion.2939/page-11. Another thing that I will note: Just like some of you say that a parry can be baited, so can a crush at its initial frames, like Ayane's 6P.

I'm not just talking in theory here. I'll just throw this out. I've had some exp with this match up, even with Hajin though I lost most of the time. However, pro or no pro, high level player or no high level player, I study how things work. I look at what's going on. I'm simply giving you reasons & some facts as to why I believe that it is 5-5 (as well as the characters that I threw in the mix but may not completely be the same). Unless I'm missing something. Still, at least we can agree on this much (including Hajin, AP, Adon, Shade, FON, & Tenryuga), you'll really never get a full glimpse of how both of these characters greatly excel unless 2 of them step up offline somewhere even though Hajin & Shade played at SCR.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm happy with how TN have treated Bass so far. They gave him back the BT OH and I can wreck people's shit and if they try to run away, I'll clothesline/lariat their face into the ground.

Eliot on the other hand. I think his design is the issue. That was okay in DOA4, where most things were linear, but not in this game. 4K is kinda meh. I don't see him being able to hold his own against most of the cast and will definitely lose to characters with special sidesteps and stances.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
What do you guys think of :kasumi: v:bass: now (@Bass players)? I edited my post above with 2 match up reasons.

Something-Unique

@J.D.E. Ayane is a "vastly" overrated character in terms of her tier placement and MU's. She's a great character but not that good.

She has most of the things u'd look for in a character. Great advanced mid p and k hold. Great i12 46T throw with its option for guaranteed damage although it that option pales comparison to most of the good i12 or even faster throws in the game because it doesn't give a damage boost on CT or HCT but the optional stun game for more damage from it is excellent. Still with all things considered there are still characters that benefit from that option much better on actual faster i7 throws like Hayate or even faster like Hayabusa etc. So while a great option its worse in speed and doesn't scale for the guaranteed option.

Her crushes are extremely overrated in context. Generally speaking if any character wants to crush all you have to do is simply use a crushing move. The only real advantage would be if there was a major gap in impact frames between those crushing choices.

Not to mention her 6P was nerfed from a base damage of 22 or something like that to the base 18 barring Sarah and Pai who have the weakest at 17. So Ayane working from +1 will not run through i12's anymore but in fact trade. Her 2P is beyond and I mean beyond overrated. There is a landslide of characters faster or same speed that come equipped with +1's on there 2P's. Not to mention her 2P is +1 only from the literal definition of just about max tip range.

In neutral her mid's are on the slower side at i13. Her damage output is low in comparison to other higher same speed or faster characters barring her mid P 2in1 launcher from 1 hit stun to launch scenarios. Quite a few characters do that scenario better from actual multiple hitzone launchers and dish out more damage from all further thresholds in stun.

People get flabbergasted by the concept of turtling to much and think its a unique trait because Ayane's is easier in concept due to her spinning. That's not a positive. It is at the end of the day ultimately still "just turtling" which any character can do. Its just prettier with all the spinning and shit. Spacing/footsies is a trait of the actual player. Whether its done via wavedashing or even just a basic knowledge of space control it is the same.

Her okizeme isn't the worst but it also isn't the best and quite frankly there are a list of characters in this game that can actually strip wakeup kicks from you as an option entirely all the time everytime which she cannot.

Her frame traps are overrated as well and generally speaking ok at best. Her crush frames on her tools like 6P and 4P are overrated as well. The active window isn't that big to do so though her 4P definitely has more of that crush window stuff going on.

Great character. Overrated character in terms of both tiers and scoring. The only character I believe is a shit ton more overrated than anyone else is Sarah as the health modification works against all the things she fails at in comparison to other characters in DOA5U compared to vanilla.

Tenryuga

@J.D.E.

It is at the end of the day ultimately still "just turtling" which any character can do. Spacing/footsies is a trait of the actual player. Whether its done via wavedashing or even just a basic knowledge of space control it is the same.

This is true but its undeniable some characters are equipped with better tools for this than others. Just take a look at someone like Gen Fu vs Hayate in terms of damage potential from mid range and the ease in which they can get it. If your character has tools available that allow them to get solid damage output without needing the threshold or stun game easily it can only be a plus because there is no guessing involved. Same can be said about a Gen Fu trying to keep someone off of him vs a Ein or Ayane trying to keep a player out.

Also I don't know what players say about her 2P but I will speak generally about 2P. A 12i 2P that is neutral on hit is one of the best tools you can have in this game because it almost shuts down characters with 13i mids. These characters are forced to hold, SS or crush if they want to avoid taking counterhits which is a shitty situation for a defender just from a simple poke by an aggressor. 2Ps that give +1 are also good in this regard because they allow the same form of control. The worst 2P a character can have is one that is slow and / or negative on hit because there is not as much flexibility there in terms of options.

Out of curiosity do you have a top 5 or top 10? I'm interested in seeing your list.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
@J.D.E. Ayane is a "vastly" overrated character in terms of her tier placement and MU's. She's a great character but not that good.

She has most of the things u'd look for in a character. Great advanced mid p and k hold. Great i12 46T throw with its option for guaranteed damage although it that option pales comparison to most of the good i12 or even faster throws in the game because it doesn't give a damage boost on CT or HCT but the optional stun game for more damage from it is excellent. Still with all things considered there are still characters that benefit from that option much better on actual faster i7 throws like Hayate or even faster like Hayabusa etc. So while a great option its worse in speed and doesn't scale for the guaranteed option.

Her crushes are extremely overrated in context. Generally speaking if any character wants to crush all you have to do is simply use a crushing move. The only real advantage would be if there was a major gap in impact frames between those crushing choices.

Not to mention her 6P was nerfed from a base damage of 22 or something like that to the base 18 barring Sarah and Pai who have the weakest at 17. So Ayane working from +1 will not run through i12's anymore but in fact trade. Her 2P is beyond and I mean beyond overrated. There is a landslide of characters faster or same speed that come equipped with +1's on there 2P's. Not to mention her 2P is +1 only from the literal definition of just about max tip range.

In neutral her mid's are on the slower side at i13. Her damage output is low in comparison to other higher same speed or faster characters barring her mid P 2in1 launcher from 1 hit stun to launch scenarios. Quite a few characters do that scenario better from actual multiple hitzone launchers and dish out more damage from all further thresholds in stun.

People get flabbergasted by the concept of turtling to much and think its a unique trait because Ayane's is easier in concept due to her spinning. That's not a positive. It is at the end of the day ultimately still "just turtling" which any character can do. Its just prettier with all the spinning and shit. Spacing/footsies is a trait of the actual player. Whether its done via wavedashing or even just a basic knowledge of space control it is the same.

Her okizeme isn't the worst but it also isn't the best and quite frankly there are a list of characters in this game that can actually strip wakeup kicks from you as an option entirely all the time everytime which she cannot.

Her frame traps are overrated as well and generally speaking ok at best. Her crush frames on her tools like 6P and 4P are overrated as well. The active window isn't that big to do so though her 4P definitely has more of that crush window stuff going on.

Great character. Overrated character in terms of both tiers and scoring. The only character I believe is a shit ton more overrated than anyone else is Sarah as the health modification works against all the things she fails at in comparison to other characters in DOA5U compared to vanilla.
I was figuratively speaking on that specific match up in terms of tools since that you have people who truly believes that it's a struggle for Kasumi. I mentioned Sarah, Christie, Pai, Akira, & Jacky because they are offensive & except for Christie who has tools that actually allows her to deal with the aggressive turtling, the VF characters don't really have anything to utilize against Ayane other than footsies. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't know, but from what I'm seeing & based on some of my experience against them, Kasumi spaces & force them into mistakes (VF characters)

Pai has an unblockable 6H+K (This could be the wrong input) but other than that, Jacky actually has some whiff punishers but they don't cover a lot of range, & Akira & Sarah also doesn't cover range well in general. Christie has 66KK, 9KK,& 3P+K variants that allows her to gap close. Her & Kasumi can gap close in order to fight her while the others I mentioned do not.

This is why I raise these issues because if Kasumi is 4-6 against her, then so should the others which she's not. I don't see how this a 4-6 while the VF characters have it worse yet they're 5-5. I just don't see it. Especially when they don't really have much of anything in order to close the gap in between Ayane when Kasumi & Christie actually can fluently do it. In general, I would expect those matches to come out as 5-5's also.

Last edited:

Something-Unique

@Tenryuga

First let's discuss the example characters used in ur case since its also good for the thread.

Hayate is the kind of character that appears great because he has most of if not all the options in a character u would want on paper. Great space control. High base damage holds and a special one for mids. Strong crush game and one of the most powerful throw sets in the game (236T and Raijin). The thing is even with all the above greatness considered that most characters can't match he suffers for a range of reasons that other characters don't suffer from. For starters his most criminal problem is how ridiculously unsafe he is but i'll deviate for a second and get back to that.

Punishment is one of the categories in DOA5U that is both negligible and significant at the same time. Sounds like a retarded contradiction but its true. This is because most unsafe situations in the game are -8/-9 or to be more specific i7 throw punishable. So in general there isn't to much to be concerned about being unsafe because most characters get poor damage and a poor okizeme situation for doing so (negligible) due to resetting back to neutral.

Now the other half of the contradiction is based on the fact some characters hard punish from i7's where being unsafe matters. I'm not gonna list all the characters but these are the ones that have access to reset grabs and or grabs that can go into the stun game from as little as an -7/-8 situation such as Hayabusa, Hayate, Hitomi, Lisa, Mila, etc.

Going back to Hayate's problem I deviated from earlier is that he is one of the few characters that goes into the -11/-15 or more punish pool on go to options and or mixups as his tool set is designed that way. So in short he's getting punished harder than most characters.

His second biggest problem is the unfortunate fate of reactable animations making what would otherwise be a decent 50/50 quite bad.

His +frame GB options are good but in rare doses since those charges of his are reactable (as is all chargeable moves). Not to mention that once again both the release of the charge and the teleport cancel are punishable in all scenarios the exact same way so there isn't a need to do react differently to either of them.

His stun game manipulation is poor. He has deep stun options but lacks relevant SDS's and his 2in1 doesn't lead into stun but knocks back. Getting HCT from his Raijin is indeed problematic enough but that's it. In fact barring his throw (Raijin) his actual combo damage output is average believe it or not.

Last but not least he is one of the worst characters in the game in one of the most important categories in the game. Good old okizeme. His combo enders reset neutral, push out or have sizeable recovery leaving him with zero momentum to continue on with actual real pressure.

Gen Fu doesn't have great space control in comparison to Hayate or most characters for the most part. However unlike Hayate for example he does everything else better in spades except in some regard throws.

His 50/50 situations are not i10+ punishable like Hayate and lead to a potential SDS. Other people mentioned this in here before but that's the most significant difference between Gen Fu and all other characters. His risk/reward (minimal vs substantial).

He doesn't need multiple crush options either as 3P is so damn good he doesn't need a selection. Crushing deep stun that leads into a SDS that guarantees bounds. That's the mixup from safe strings. Do it again and it crushes high interrupt attempts. Opponent attempts to interrupt mid instead hello kindergarten mid parry right back into stun. Not to mention he has the same high parry as well.

His i12 throw does similar damage to Izuna and Raijin and has a reset option that the other two do not. That's as good as it gets for an i12.

His damage output is one of the highest in the game and to add insult to injury he has the speed to accommodate it in his 6P i11 mid. His mid P SDS guarantee both bounds and he has the high stumble stun that guarantees a launcher.

His combos lead into quite the okizeme through use of his 3P FT. Though its worth pointing out something most people aren't realizing. His FT leaves him at negative like most characters that can gamble that option but leaves him stuck in the 3PP string stagger. On the flip side the follow up from that stagger is his SDS situation again which brings us right back to his strongest attribute, risk/reward. Minor potential punish barring the less than a handful of characters that punish hard from fast throws and major reward.

The one thing I don't understand in ur post though is the character doesn't need stun game. I can't think of a single character that doesn't require stun to dish out winning damage in a race to a 300 point health bar. Few single hitting attacks reach the 70-90+ damage milestone and either require close hit while being slow on startup. Those same moves are the few that can be hard punished in the game. Either with i12 throws, flat out launched, or NH stunned on block. Ein and Hitomi's 236P's hit hard and aren't hard punishable but both require close hit and can get stuffed from that range. 46P is dope being safe but I guarantee ur not gonna win matches with either of those alone.

Tenryuga

@Tenryuga

The one thing I don't understand in ur post though is the character doesn't need stun game. I can't think of a single character that doesn't require stun to dish out winning damage in a race to a 300 point health bar. Few single hitting attacks reach the 70-90+ damage milestone and either require close hit while being slow on startup. Those same moves are the few that can be hard punished in the game. Either with i12 throws, flat out launched, or NH stunned on block. Ein and Hitomi's 236P's hit hard and aren't hard punishable but both require close hit and can get stuffed from that range. 46P is dope being safe but I guarantee ur not gonna win matches with either of those alone.

This is my fault for not being accurate. When I say a character does not need the stun game I mean they do not need to make it their mission to hit threshold level 2 for critical burst/ launch/ throw mixups to win fights. I mean that the damage they attain from standard whiff punishment, whiff punishment into wallsplats / objects for juggles, whiff punishment into dangerzone juggles, single hit / counterhit string into wall / objects, single hit stun into launch, launching within critical level 1, as well as damage gained through throw punishment and tick throw attempts as well as holds.

For some characters all of this damage is significant enough that they never need to critical burst or go to threshold level 2 to win fights. Hayate is an example of such a character. Your assessment of him is correct (especially his mediocrity at playing the stun game which is why I rarely opt to go to threshold level 2 with him) though in regards to oki he actually is better off than some. He has the potential of gaining it off of his 236T throw and at walls. Mid screen he has oki off of 33KK but it requires a read on the opponent. He also has it off of his wind dash K though this is only if they do not tech roll. This in general is the major problem with his oki. It requires too much reading to be done IMO where you have characters like Gen Fu and grapplers who have it out of the ass. Regardless it exists and his is better than what some others in the cast have.

Last edited:

Something-Unique

@Tenryuga

Oh! I understand your argument and thought process now! Yeah that's indeed very true. I remember in the FB group I was compiling a list of characters who did exactly how much damage from a neutral CH opener for threshold I, II, and III but I stopped cause it took too damn long.

So I guess what kind of damage a character can get from threshold I (minimal guessing) here would be great as well. I remember Akira, Sarah, and Mila hitting hard as hell from threshold I multiple hitzones. Others hitting hard but from one hitzone in particular.

However I also remember Jacky for example being weaker at threshold I in comparison to Sarah but hitting the same or harder further in like threshold II and III so some characters while hitting hard in threshold I for whatever reason get curb stomped further in damage wise.

I see ur point though much clearer now with all ur variables regarding getting to the damage.

Also I didn't just skip the last comment in ur last post just didn't want to add more wall of text to the already massive text and I won't list mine without character explanations for it which takes time so i'll list it at some later point. Same goes for you @J.D.E. I read urs as well. I was actually supporting your argument.

I also agree with ur 2P sentiment Tenryuga but its just that in context. Your + and or neutral from it is only as relative as it is dependent on how fast your follow up is. Like Ayane 2P being +0 and her follow up being i13.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
@Tenryuga

Oh! I understand your argument and thought process now! Yeah that's indeed very true. I remember in the FB group I was compiling a list of characters who did exactly how much damage from a neutral CH opener for threshold I, II, and III but I stopped cause it took too damn long.

So I guess what kind of damage a character can get from threshold I (minimal guessing) here would be great as well. I remember Akira, Sarah, and Mila hitting hard as hell from threshold I multiple hitzones. Others hitting hard but from one hitzone in particular.

However I also remember Jacky for example being weaker at threshold I in comparison to Sarah but hitting the same or harder further in like threshold II and III so some characters while hitting hard in threshold I for whatever reason get curb stomped further in damage wise.

I see ur point though much clearer now with all ur variables regarding getting to the damage.

Also I didn't just skip the last comment in ur last post just didn't want to add more wall of text to the already massive text and I won't list mine without character explanations for it which takes time so i'll list it at some later point. Same goes for you @J.D.E. I read urs as well. I was actually supporting your argument.

I also agree with ur 2P sentiment Tenryuga but its just that in context. Your + and or neutral from it is only as relative as it is dependent on how fast your follow up is. Like Ayane 2P being +0 and her follow up being i13.
Yeah I know. I was just trying to be clear since the characters that I mentioned share similar characteristics. I'm curious to hear about some of your thoughts of characters as well. You have a lot of things that I agree with (from the last few posts).

iThe Apprentice

Tier list current standings:
Free Step Dodge:
S - Gen Fu
A - Christie, Ayane, Sarah, Kasumi, Leifang, Helena, Pai
B - Hayate, Jann Lee, Akira, Jacky, Hayabusa, Momiji, Lisa, Hitomi, Mila, Alpha 152, Bass, Bayman, Rig, Tina, Zack, Marie Rose
C - Ein, Leon, Brad, Rachel, Kokoro
D - Eliot

Event Hubs:
A - Ayane, Christie, Gen Fu, Kasumi, Sarah
B - Helena, Leifang, Hayate, Rig, Jann Lee, Mila, Momiji, Hitomi, Jacky, Zack, Pai
C - Hayabusa, Kokoro, Akira, Lisa, Tina, Alpha 152, Brad, Rachel, Marie Rose
D - Leon, Ein, Bayman, Bass
E - Eliot
Ugh.. Of course Eliot is always placed last ;-;

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD