THE STRONGEST THREAD IN THE WORLD (The LEON Thread)

Argentus

Leon has one moment to play defense, and that's match start. Once your opponent is caught doing something unsafe, Leon moves in and does not stop. His attacks hurl people across two full screens. Does he wait and try to out-space them? No, that's stupid, since his sluggish speed will be beat out once the situation returns to neutral. You run after their dumb ass and apply floor pressure unless they tech. And if they tech, guess what? That takes frames, and Leon is powering in with tons of anti-guard tools WHILE THEY'RE AT DISADVANTAGE from the tech. The minute Leon begins an offense, he does not stop. He rushes in. Rushdown.

You mentioned the ninjas "beating [Leon] on rushdown every time." Ryu, for example, has garbage options against blocks. Thus, he highly relies on spacing and CHs to begin his offense. Additionally, he must constantly switch to defensive strategies such as knowing when to continue from ongyoin, when to parry from it, when to go for expert holds, etc. Thus, he's not purely rushing someone down unless they're letting him. He can't. Not like Leon can. Once Leon beings, he doesn't have to stop. He shouldn't stop. Leon's goal is to prevent the situation from ever returning to neutral. Hayabusa cannot sustain that strategy like Leon can. This puts Leon's rushdown on a level far above Ryu's.

exactly, there seems to be a misconception that only fast characters can utilize rushdown strategy. Leon won't win poking wars against the likes of kasumi,pai, christie ect but he can overwhelm them with his crushes, offensive holds, mixups, charge moves, ground throws, and guard breaks all while putting the fear of getting either launched into air throw or hi-counter thrown with desert falcon/dervish throw in the back of their minds on top of worrying about wall/dangerzone damage making them second guess themselves.

Yeah that's how I use him as well, just never thought of it as rushdown. To me, overwhelming offense, is different from rushdown, which I think of like, Christie, kasumi, ayane, rushing in and constant poking that's so fast they need to do little else. I associate rushdown with speedy attacks for that kinda reasoning. Leon can't just ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK like them, he has to use guardbreaks and effective mixup with grapples, which isnt what comes to mind when I think "rushdown".

KidArk

The problem with 8k is that it would get stuffed with high crushes ..
plus 3k has better range

8k is my preferred choice is all, i do however employ ample use of both 8k and 3k when poking/spacing.just a lot of runing attacks on 8k get stuffed to the point that it gives me a falldown stun

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
And with Patch 1.03 Leon got buffed. His air throw has been fixed so it acts like a lot of his knockbacks do when hitting someone into a wall at an angle. Thing is, you can be standing parallel to the wall (as in right next to it) and STILL HIT THE FREAKING WALL at an angle.

Argentus

And with Patch 1.03 Leon got buffed. His air throw has been fixed so it acts like a lot of his knockbacks do when hitting someone into a wall at an angle. Thing is, you can be standing parallel to the wall (as in right next to it) and STILL HIT THE FREAKING WALL at an angle.

Oooooohhhhh that's nice. I'd given up trying and taken to throwing away from the wall to deposition and give space instead.

DontForkWitMe

happy-hulk.gif

DontForkWitMe

He can now air throw opponents back into the partition in hotzone causing the tank dangerzone launch into guaranteed 4k ground throw follow up after initiating the barricade dangerzone. so many new possibilities are opened up from this simple bug fix. shit brings a tear to my eye

PJudge

Welp, I best throw in DOA when I get home from work to see this for myself. It's gonna be a long day until I finish. I only stopped playing for a couple of days to experiment with the Injustice patch, and then Leon gets fixed (both intros vs. Bayman and air throw).

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Who wants to help me train with Leon on Xbox? I need to know all the dynamics of his strikes on normal hit and CH and what properties change. I need to know what to initiate with, ect.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Interesting fact: Leon can get a Hi-Counter with his Mount Position Throw (2T against grounded opponent's head). Being the silly person I am I forgot to save the match.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I have no idea. Might be that it acts extremely briefly as an OH against wakeup kick startups or side techs.

Argentus

Finally got good enough again to ARM grenade ayane/Ryu/brad out of their torpedo attacks. Even Jann out of his dragon kick.

Forgot how ridiculously satisfying that is. Can headbutt or critburst em out of it as well.

But now I think about it, desert falcon shoulda been an oh so it could act as an anti air grab. You know, just snatch Ninjas right out of the air when they try to flip, port, or torpedo, or just send Jann flying back where he came if he tries to dragon kick.

At very least, shoulda been his anti air holds.

PJudge

Finally got good enough again to ARM grenade ayane/Ryu/brad out of their torpedo attacks. Even Jann out of his dragon kick.

Forgot how ridiculously satisfying that is. Can headbutt or critburst em out of it as well.

But now I think about it, desert falcon shoulda been an oh so it could act as an anti air grab. You know, just snatch Ninjas right out of the air when they try to flip, port, or torpedo, or just send Jann flying back where he came if he tries to dragon kick.

At very least, shoulda been his anti air holds.
Wait, as in 7P? In the middle of their attack? Honestly didn't think that would work on Jann Lee's flying kick, as it's an unblockable, but damn that's useful if it's 7P. Hell, even if it's 9P it's still useful.

If Desert Falcon catch was an OH, that would be WAY overpowered. It would mean practically any airborne move is unsafe. Plus, his anti-air holds are awesome as fuck to land because they look so painful.

Argentus

Wait, as in 7P? In the middle of their attack? Honestly didn't think that would work on Jann Lee's flying kick, as it's an unblockable, but damn that's useful if it's 7P. Hell, even if it's 9P it's still useful.

If Desert Falcon catch was an OH, that would be WAY overpowered. It would mean practically any airborne move is unsafe. Plus, his anti-air holds are awesome as fuck to land because they look so painful.

Remember, unblockable doesn't mean invincible. Can just smack dat bitch right outta the air. I do the same with milas overhead hook to knock em straight to the ground when they fly at me. And i know ive headbutted the dragon kick at least once in 5. Did it all the time in 4.

As for oh df, its not like leons entire moveset isnt already op. The point is that hes supposed to be slow power moves that wreck when connect. If oh df whiffed, could treat him taking damage like a high counter to compensate.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Well did the "HiC" notification appear as blue or green?
I think it was blue (so just a throw) but it may have something to do with how people may be considered grounded until the second frame of wakeup kicks or rolls (or at least I think that is how they work).

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Remember, unblockable doesn't mean invincible. Can just smack dat bitch right outta the air. I do the same with milas overhead hook to knock em straight to the ground when they fly at me. And i know ive headbutted the dragon kick at least once in 5. Did it all the time in 4..

im going to rage if i could have been doing this the entire time and no one told me

PJudge

Remember, unblockable doesn't mean invincible. Can just smack dat bitch right outta the air. I do the same with milas overhead hook to knock em straight to the ground when they fly at me. And i know ive headbutted the dragon kick at least once in 5. Did it all the time in 4.
Good point. I'd never considered it that way...I honestly can't believe I never considered doing that before! That's some serious tech right there if that works every time...

im going to rage if i could have been doing this the entire time and no one told me
I know, right?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD