THE STRONGEST THREAD IN THE WORLD (The LEON Thread)

PJudge

So has anyone found anything exciting with the bounding mechanic (If that's what the skidding state is called)? I'm just curious because I spent about 20 minutes playing around with things to do from it, but didn't get much out of my time. I may just be being completely stupid about it, but I just can't see the point in doing it (personally anyway). Just thought I'd see what other Leon players have for it?

Brute

Standard Donor
Honestly, I haven't found the use of the slidey-bound state with any of my characters yet. There always seems to be a better alternative that strikes at the same level which guarantees more damage. I feel like this whole bounds thing was just a silly afterthought to look more flashy and feel more like VF. Unfortunately it didn't succeed on either front.

TLDR: No. I'm waiting for someone else to enlighten me as to their use as well.

PJudge

That's exactly what I thought. There just seem to be better ways to get more damage. Guess I'll have to wait for TFC to see if anyone uses it.

DontForkWitMe

That's exactly what I thought. There just seem to be better ways to get more damage. Guess I'll have to wait for TFC to see if anyone uses it.

it has more to do with TN making him focus so much on air throws that all his non air throwable launch follow ups are pretty bare bones. 3pp and 66ppp are pretty much all he can do from lower launchers and slide bounds. Some dangerzone launches give him 4k into ground throw followups.

also found a more damaging PL follow up than the one in his combo training:

PL>8P(miss)PP, 4K(untechable ground slam),>2H+P into ground Dervish throw. this works on all weight classes and the only downside is the chance of them breaking ground dervish throw

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
The 66PPP on that (I was told it is a Fall Back Stun by CyberEvil at SJ) is dependent on weight class. Seems you can get 66PPP on lighter characters (not sure which weight classes yet) but I think Middle Weight and higher going for 66PPK or 46P would be a better option.

Edit: I said I may have the data up by tonight. That was until I remembered that KH 1.5 was out today. I'll get what I can up Thursday night (I promise). I'm going out of town this weekend and Thursday is the best time to get what I can up.

Last edited:

playmore

Got the game yesterday. Didn't had much time to train but Leon looks great. (I will never get used to new button prompts for his classic moves like the head butt or the neck hanging throw.)

Did a few combo challenges too but I'm stuck with the 66K, 6PPK, P+K, 3(hold)P, 28T one. Somehow the combo checking always resets after the 3P. Is there a trick to it, or I'm just slow?

Brute

Standard Donor
Got the game yesterday. Didn't had much time to train but Leon looks great. (I will never get used to new button prompts for his classic moves like the head butt or the neck hanging throw.)

Did a few combo challenges too but I'm stuck with the 66K, 6PPK, P+K, 3(hold)P, 28T one. Somehow the combo checking always resets after the 3P. Is there a trick to it, or I'm just slow?
the 28T is the directional input to make his air throw direct in the direction the screen is facing initially (so not forward or backward). The added input combined with that specific combo just has a very tight active window. Try it a few times and be as fast as you can. You'll get it.

Way I see it, Leon's strikes are simply present to pressure the opponent into blocking or holding to open him up for his devastating throws. Leon is a grappler in the purest sense. Non of that pseudo-grappler mischief going on.

Last edited:

playmore

the 28T is the directional input to make his air throw direct in the direction the screen is facing initially (so not forward or backward). The added input combined with that specific combo just has a very tight active window. Try it a few times and be as fast as you can. You'll get it.

Thanks, I will try it when I get home.

PJudge

Totally agree. Coming from Tina in DOA5, he hasn't been that hard to pick up as I learnt a lot of fundamentals of grapplers from her so putting it into practice with Leon just ends up being quite rewarding.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
@XZero264 - Did you/are you getting Leon's frame data together? I'm almost through Akira's and I'm curious if I should pursue Leon's or if you have it covered.

playmore

So I finally did the combo challenges for Leon (turned out I was too fast with the 3P, as soon as I let him crouch a little longer the game accepted the combo). Played a few matches online and I got my ass handed to me all night of course :rolleyes:
As far as I remember in previous DOAs it was easier to get close with Leon. Well at least countering works now, despite I played a few DOAs before almost never countered sucessfully in vanilla DOA5 online. At least it seems like it wasn't my fault.

Fumetsu Gaisuto

My gatherings so far

I hate that 33p is unsafe damn it if it was like a little less unsafe i would be cool with it.

Omg 8ppp is godlike now. Godlike. Try it.

I love that 8 k guarantees a launcher so Abuse it.

Off of anything that generates that crazy roll back stun you get a 9k wake up party or 2kk or free ground grab with timing

9p on wake up is a monster.

Tenryuga

Just picked up Leon. What are some things that are key when using this character? What sort of skills should I develop first?

Brute

Standard Donor
Just picked up Leon. What are some things that are key when using this character? What sort of skills should I develop first?
You are a grappler. Your biggest damage will come from HiC throws, offensive holds, etc. Your strikes are there to pressure the opponent into caving in and making split decisions incorrectly. Because Leon is so mid punch reliant, people will try to mid P hold out of his guard break pressure, and that's where you'll get your HiC throws (Desert Falcon is your go-to). Be cautious when choosing your offense initiators, as 99% of your best strikes are mid Ps. Delay your charge attacks for mix-up and get used to the P6P2K/6PP2K string(s).
Despite your speed, you are a pressure character. You're not going to want to back up much if at all. Charge your opponent and use your heavy knockbacks to drive them into environment factors that trap them. If they're not teching, always apply floor pressure. Because you can win an entire match in about 3 proper reads, know when to move in. Be patient, but after you begin your offense be relentless. Use things like WR K as a mix-up from your throw baits and punch strikes (goes into a launch->air-throw which will continue your knockback pressure).
You are intimidating. Play like it.

Argentus

And use overheads for mixup (leon has a lot, hes like Slammu, man...).

He's got a ton of guard breaks, slams, overheads, and grapples. The point to Leon is to simply overpower the opponent.

Argentus

Or to put it very simply,

Just play him like the goddamned Juggernaut. Just steamroll right through the enemies offense AND defense.

Is it od tha everytime I read, say, or hear "goddamn", its in Zaeed Masani's voice?

KidArk

Or to put it very simply,

Just play him like the goddamned Juggernaut. Just steamroll right through the enemies offense AND defense.

Is it od tha everytime I read, say, or hear "goddamn", its in Zaeed Masani's voice?

Everytime I hear a "goddam" I think about the Goddamn Batman

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD