What would be the most disappointing thing that DOA 6 can have?

Argentus

First and most important, moveset. I see people talking a lot on how her moveset is lazy because it is a bunch of other character's moves slapped into one character, and i don't think that is quite right, while for animation purposes is easy, you can just re-use the animations from other characters, there is still the care to make those animations work in the new model, but also, to me it is wonderful that Honoka has so many stances and moves from so many characters, and how well those moves flow into one another, and how she is just balanced right, for me it is quite and awesome.

If it was just her, you'd have good points.

Unfortunately, it all falls flat when you remember that she was released at the same time as the ORIGINAL moveset clone fighter of DOA, Raidou.

it'd be one thing if it was just her, as the new copycat fighter. But Raidou came out at the same time, so it just emphasized how little effort and thought they put into Honoka.

Now about design, i didn't knew about love live before playing doa, so i didn't know about Honoka, but yeah, she is clearly a homage to the thing. But i beg you to look the cool details about her, like Honoka and Ayane are the only characters that have red eyes, which is nice to establish a connection. The pink hair i kinda see as being related to that as well. Her face is similar to marie's? Yeah, but honestly, face models in this game aren't so different if you take out the hair, but it is still a slightly different model i believe, someone already showed that in a thread here.
"similar to Marie's"? No, it actually IS Marie's face, adjusted slightly, if I remember correctly. They copypasted it because they are going for the japanese lowest common denominator, and Marie was popular with them, and the entire point of Honoka is to be LCD bait.

Even the comparison to Ayane isn't a good one. They couldn't think of any real backstory for her, so she's just ANOTHER daughter of Raidou. With a cliche anime "secret hidden power" thrown on top.

she feels like a joke character

We can agree on that, albeit for different reasons.

About her big boobs? Well, can't say much here, you either like it or you don't.

i'm actually all for actually having a thicker girl, what i'm against is how she's so blatantly designed SOLELY around "bigger boobs", and little else to the character.

Milla, like Rig, are the original DOA 5 characters, and their designs just scream "Regular people from everyday's life",

wait what lol. Mila yes, she's as down to earth, regular joe as you get, sure, but RIG? Rig is Action Genre Hero Guy standard character design, only yaknow, as a skinhead gangbanger villain. He's hardly "regular people from everyday life". He's a western action film character to the core.

now Milla, she didn't do much, her participation is still bigger than the newcomers from ultimate/last round, but she still came as a regular girl, fought as a regular girl, and left the game as a regular girl, and i would say that her character was not developed well enough, and i hope she gets more development in the future. Again, i love Milla, but you could say that her role as a character was pretty much nothing until now.

Only insofar as you could say the same thing about everyone who's not the ninjas, lisa, christie, rig or bayman. She just wasn't part of the MIST plotline. Mila was part of Zack, Brad and Tina's stories, which were the regular life/DOA tournament stories.

Now to make sure we're back on topic, for DOA6, I REALLLLY hope they don't keep trying to cutify Mila for the sake of lowest common denominator appeal to japanese audiences.

Jadeinchains

Yeah agreed on Mila + cute thing, Her being more the type to wear sweatpants and jeans and shorts and stuff like that is cool so I don't think they need to start making her wear dresses etc, There's other female characters that fit those clothes more that If they want to do that they can make them wear them. If there's people that want the characters to be cute then there are characters like Marie, Kasumi, Honoka etc who are more cutesy and wear clothes like that. Like everything there are certain clothes and styles that work for different people, That's why fetish packs like the Japanese gym clothes didn't work because characters like Helena etc wouldn't really wear that so it was a bit strange. ( Mila's pink winter coat is really cute though so I'm totally okay with that one. :p )

Helena's fashion is more upper class and regal, Marie's is cute/ goth at the start. ( Which was really cool, I'd like to see Marie get more gothic clothes. ), Mila's is "girl next door", Lisa's is fabulous, furs and modern great looks that are better than your faves, Hitomi's are also very girl next door like college girl. Etc etc.

Sotherius

Unfortunately, it all falls flat when you remember that she was released at the same time as the ORIGINAL moveset clone fighter of DOA, Raidou.

it'd be one thing if it was just her, as the new copycat fighter. But Raidou came out at the same time, so it just emphasized how little effort and thought they put into Honoka.

Yet, Honoka and Raidou have completely different movesets, I find that pretty awesome.

Another thing i hope they do, and it would be disappointing if they don't, is to bring the Omega moveset back in some way to the game.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Oooooo I really don’t give a fuck? Honestly we’ve been through this countless times with ya bitch ass. You know I don’t fucking care. Fuck you Brute.

I can't believe this. Is this some type of joke you and Brute are playing?

Brute

Standard Donor
@T..J. Bernard I just got done saying not to double-post. Come on, man.

I can't believe this. Is this some type of joke you and Brute are playing?
If it is, I'm not privy to it. Glitterati said "we’ve been through this countless times" but I can't find any of the discussions in question. Glitterati has deleted over 350 status posts, so maybe something happened in there. Public interactions seem to be pretty amiable.

Maybe Glitterati just feels compelled to fill the petulant void left by Kasumi-Lover69's absence. In any event, let's not derail the thread further.

Glitterati

@T..J. Bernard I just got done saying not to double-post. Come on, man.

If it is, I'm not privy to it. Glitterati said "we’ve been through this countless times" but I can't find any of the discussions in question. Glitterati has deleted over 350 status posts, so maybe something happened in there. Public interactions seem to be pretty amiable.

Maybe Glitterati just feels compelled to fill the petulant void left by Kasumi-Lover69's absence. In any event, let's not derail the thread further.
This is exactly why I do not like you. I can delete thousands of statuses. It’s my profile. I do what I wish with it. Well I guess all you have is this site. *Yawn* I’m over you.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Yet, Honoka and Raidou have completely different movesets, I find that pretty awesome.

Another thing i hope they do, and it would be disappointing if they don't, is to bring the Omega moveset back in some way to the game.
I think the only moves they got in common is the sliding kick aka bayman's 66K, their low hold, Jann's high kick and Raidou's harder input throws. That's it basically, besides that they got a very different moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

T..J. Bernard

@Brute I don't feel that I double posted. I just further talked about my opinion in regards to Honoka. Unless you're talking about the one after when I compared Kasumi & Ayane to Honoka & Marie Rose. I can delete it and merge it with my Honoka statement.

Brute

Standard Donor
This is exactly why I do not like you. I can delete thousands of statuses. It’s my profile. I do what I wish with it. Well I guess all you have is this site.
You're not entitled to run around naked in public because it's "[your] body and [you] can do whatever [you] wish with it" while on property you don't own. Similarly, you're not entitled to do whatever you wish with your profile on a website that you don't own.

You can, of course, delete your own statuses. No one told you that you couldn't. You, however, are suggesting that others shouldn't even mention the fact that you did so for some strange reason. If you did something, others can mention that you did it. Why that bends you out of shape is beyond me.

*Yawn* I’m over you.
We're all over you, too. See ya.

Everyone else, back on topic. No exceptions.

@Brute I don't feel that I double posted.
I already merged the two posts.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Let me add some input to this myself. Really good discussion so far. My good list of things that’d disappoint me are:

1) the return of Alpha
2) no good buildup on story
3) brothers getting only 20 costumes again
4) DOA being oversexualized with ryona’s and stuff
5) bland new characters (I still feel honoka, marie rose, & this misaki character’s bland to me)
6) no improvement on gameplay (sidestep, “safe throws”, etc)
7) no enticing guest characters
8) overpriced season passes
9) no role in the story for momiji & rachel
10) no expansion on tourney’s
11) no improvement on netcode (though online’s whatever. I don’t care for it anymore. I just bs now)
12) they take the tekken route (no tutorial, in-game frame data, etc)
13) no improvement on characters
14) Rig isn’t SSS/U tier (nah I’m joking or am I???)

20 costumes per character is actually a shit-ton and miles more than the number of costumes that the characters have in any other fighting game. Though, if TN is going to go the DLC route again (which is highly likely since it pretty much accounted for majority of DOA5LR's success), I hope it's only in full roster packs as opposed for the typical "females only" bullshit. I would like some mild customization of the costumes too (glasses, different hairstyles, colour changes, removal of accessories, etc.) if possible, though I know how important DLC costumes are for DOA's revenue.

Some people may not agree with me, but I wouldn't mind if DOA6 had something akin to leveling up /lootboxes where you gain little prizes or something at each level for playing regardless of the mode online (or offline like arcade, survival, time attack, combo challenge etc). It's a shallow system but it will do wonders for attempting to keep people playing the game, which I feel can help with DOA6's future success. An improvement to netcode will always be welcome because the closer the game resembles offline play, the better, since people will feel encouraged to play online more, however that is a bit of wishful thinking because no matter how good the netcode is, there's still always be McDonald's Internet Wifi players. Basically I just want DOA6 to both bring in a lot of new players, and get people playing for a long time.

As for Honker's... er Honoka, no comment, but I will say she is pretty fun to play despite her flaws, or should I say shortcomings...?

T..J. Bernard

The costume part I was trying to talk about how the female cast got 40-60+ costumes while the bro's only got at most 24 or something like that. That to me's not a good look (Not the worst thing in the world but...). But I didn't really word the female vs male part with costumes so that's an L on me. Lootboxes or treasure battles would actually be a great idea to me. Considering that you can add dlc costumes or whatever to those boxes. I'd be down for that. But at the same time also, I feel that character customization would be, I won't say needed, but it would elevate the success from lootboxes. Netcodes whatever. I do want it improved and it's a high priority to me. But at the same time, my focus isn't necessarily online anymore. I just go through the motions. Which is why I put that lower. Heck Rig being SSS tier's more of a priority to me than looking to netcode. But it does need improvement. Lastly with Honoka.... She's fun to play once you understand how to use her (though some moves are very cringe worthy). But she's still one of the stupidest characters I ever seen in a fighting game. But hopefully DOA 6 changes my opinion on her.

Brute

Standard Donor
Some people may not agree with me, but I wouldn't mind if DOA6 had something akin to leveling up /lootboxes where you gain little prizes or something at each level for playing regardless of the mode online (or offline like arcade, survival, time attack, combo challenge etc). It's a shallow system but it will do wonders for attempting to keep people playing the game, which I feel can help with DOA6's future success. An improvement to netcode will always be welcome because the closer the game resembles offline play, the better, since people will feel encouraged to play online more, however that is a bit of wishful thinking because no matter how good the netcode is, there's still always be McDonald's Internet Wifi players. Basically I just want DOA6 to both bring in a lot of new players, and get people playing for a long time.
I'm not wholly opposed to such a system so long as certain rewards/unlocks weren't locked behind RNG (ex: Overwatch, sans timed events). For example, if you got in-game currency after each match and that currency could be spent to unlock the exact costume/online banner you want, that would be fine. If you have to open ten thousand loot boxes in hope that the RNG Gods drop your most desired item (ex: Injustice 2), that's bullshit.

Furthermore, leveling/stat equipment for characters would definitely be one of the most disappointing things DOA6 could do, IMO.

Nikotsumi

Ok dude, i know I probably won't be able to change your opinion on Honoka, but let me at least show how there is actually a good ammount of effort into her character.

First and most important, moveset. I see people talking a lot on how her moveset is lazy because it is a bunch of other character's moves slapped into one character, and i don't think that is quite right, while for animation purposes is easy, you can just re-use the animations from other characters, there is still the care to make those animations work in the new model, but also, to me it is wonderful that Honoka has so many stances and moves from so many characters, and how well those moves flow into one another, and how she is just balanced right, for me it is quite and awesome.

Now about design, i didn't knew about love live before playing doa, so i didn't know about Honoka, but yeah, she is clearly a homage to the thing. But i beg you to look the cool details about her, like Honoka and Ayane are the only characters that have red eyes, which is nice to establish a connection. The pink hair i kinda see as being related to that as well. Her face is similar to marie's? Yeah, but honestly, face models in this game aren't so different if you take out the hair, but it is still a slightly different model i believe, someone already showed that in a thread here.

And the last reason why i really like Honoka, is that she feels like a joke character, as in someone that is incredibly powerful but isn't aware of that, and she ends up having a goofy place in the game, but also, being able to do something meaningful in future games due to her relation with raidou and ayane.

About her big boobs? Well, can't say much here, you either like it or you don't.

Now, to be pretty clear, i don't dislike any doa character (at least not a TN original character that i can remember), and i really love Milla as well, but i could see someone not liking her for a couple of reasons.

Milla, like Rig, are the original DOA 5 characters, and their designs just scream "Regular people from everyday's life", and while this was cool, it really strikes as something weird compared to the "over the top" DOA cast, and Rig got that solved by his participation in the story mode, where he was revealed to be a major villain, now Milla, she didn't do much, her participation is still bigger than the newcomers from ultimate/last round, but she still came as a regular girl, fought as a regular girl, and left the game as a regular girl, and i would say that her character was not developed well enough, and i hope she gets more development in the future. Again, i love Milla, but you could say that her role as a character was pretty much nothing until now.

Sorry if i sounded rude in any of this, And sorry for being so off topic, but i wanted to reply that.

But with that context, and also the context of what i just said, one really disappointing thing that could happen story wise is the characters to not get their progression and needed development.
I like you. *mashes the like button*
Regarding her moveset, I'd like to point out that.....
a copy-paste moveset, whereas easier to create because you already have the animations, requires more effort to balance than a new one.
With a new moveset, you have full freedom.
With Honoka's moveset TN had to choose a correct amount of moves (as well as stance dependant moves) with fixed properties/animations from a HUGE poll and make her balanced, and to balance her even more, they had to slightly modify said properties of pretty much every move (which usually follow the pattern of less range/damage in favor of speed/less disadvantage on block/higher lauch-refloat.....).
This is not something I think they can make overnight, just saying. I think they even worked on her moveset short before the game was released because in the "leaked" videos she had moves, stance transitions and properties on some of her current moves that she didn't carry in the final game. (e.g. Gen Fu's 16P, Christie's 214P, Dragon Stance P+K on hit was a transition into Dragon Stance again instead of Hissatsu no Kamae etc....)
So it's not like they just "slapped" some moves and made her moveset like most people would say, it actually requires effort in its own way.

Also, a salad moveset is still a new moveset and a new style, which isn't a bad thing for the game at all. Myself (and I'm sure other people too) enjoy playing as this character for this exact reason, and consequently made the game better.

Design is not original, you have plenty of Honoka is animes for sure, but imo she's stands out if you take into account DOA only (new hair color/hairstyle, new female body type and I'm not just talking about the boobs).
Hopefully she doesn't get a "joke character" role in a future story mode.

Back on the actual topic.
-Ein not coming back.
-Hayate not being deleted.
-Naotora being trash again if she ever comes back.
-Honoka not stealing more moves/stances.
-Boring stages with no environment interactions.
-PL not being removed (I'm not fond of it to be honest).
Can't think of any other things.

Argentus

I think the only moves they got in common is the sliding kick aka bayman's 66K, their low hold, Jann's high kick and Raidou's harder input throws. That's it basically, besides that they got a very different moveset.
Not changing the fact that she didn't get A moveset at all though.

Again, every game has the "ditto fighter". Charade, that silver chick from VF, Raidou, etc. Them releasing Honoka on top of Raidou for 5 just really emphasized how little they cared about actually designing a real character with honoka. If she was just the new ditto fighter? Kinda excusable. But when the original ditto fighter is released at the SAME TIME?!

Also another unforgivable future sin of DOA6 could be implementing RNG lootboxes.

I don't mind loot chests, but let me WORK TOWARDS GOALS, not just sit there playing a slot machine hoping I get something i like.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Not changing the fact that she didn't get A moveset at all though.

Again, every game has the "ditto fighter". Charade, that silver chick from VF, Raidou, etc. Them releasing Honoka on top of Raidou for 5 just really emphasized how little they cared about actually designing a real character with honoka. If she was just the new ditto fighter? Kinda excusable. But when the original ditto fighter is released at the SAME TIME?!

Also another unforgivable future sin of DOA6 could be implementing RNG lootboxes.

I don't mind loot chests, but let me WORK TOWARDS GOALS, not just sit there playing a slot machine hoping I get something i like.
Well imo she's original of unoriginality I know it sounds strange but she's so unoriginal it's kinda original. No fighting game had a character thats so lazily designed as her.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD