Balance 240 vs 300 life

MrMoon360

240 is to low imo because this is not Tekken this is DoA.

DOA is a game that is closely related to Virtua Fighter, hence the guest characters/collaboration with Sega AM2.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Default Life Setting:

Please stop kicking that dead horse known as the "Too Tekken-Like to Be DOA or Solid" argument.

Edit:

in tekken u dont have the environment like in DoA.

Also.
I presume you're talking about environmental damage and such? Tekken and VF both have it.
In VF, its stricken to walls and lack there of resulting in ring-outs (instant K.O.). I've seen wall combos in VF5FS reach damage points up to 120 -- and that's at 221 default health. Yikes.

In Tekken, there are break away floors, walls, break away walls, ledges and each character has moves that can bound a launched opponent for extra juggle damage.

Other fighters are just ahead of the curve and understand the thrill of a fast, frantic, flashy and intelligent fight. I think the adjustment to health is necessary for DOA5U to be more interesting, fun to play and learn.

Last edited:

Nameless Sama

I say 300 because you can make more Izunas :p :hayabusa: My goal is it to make in a real online match to 10 Izunas at least with 3 rounds :p on PS3. In 360 is not a problem to make izunas :O

AkaShocka

I heard in a lobby that people said the health had something to do with Rachel or Leon? It was something about home stage. They were talking about the health was reduced because Rachel or Leon can do big damage combos or something. I am pretty sure that's not it. I can easily do a 75%(or just about) home stage combo with the characters I use. I know for a fact I can get at least 60% on home stage with Christie and Sarah on 300 life. Not saying this is true about Rachel or Leon, just what I heard. But what if it is true?! Hm. But I agree with TRI, 240 is better.

RoboJoe

I've always preferred less life but more rounds. I'd love to try 240 life with real people offline. Don't know how the rest of the local scene feel though.

Dr Drake

Well i can give a few example why 240 is a bit low.

every character who got you trough a table, chair, a box etc give u 180-220 Damage guaranteed + Ceiling and most of the time it is over 240 damage. So one mistake and match its over.
And its not only home were u can perform it.

Then every Slippery Stun gives 110-140 Damage Guaranteed aswell.
That are 2 or 3 good lows and the match is over.

Every wallsplat is about 90-129 Damage and more on Critical.

And then are Throws like Bass 3(hold)64 P+H what does alot damage like 155 or something or just 4 throw from bass is doing 105 Damage on HI Counter. And also not only Bass have strong Throws. Tina, Lisa, Hayabusa, Hayate, Leon even Bayman and a few others having Strong Throws too.

And we have alot of Defensive Holds like Leifang who are doing 84-107 Damage.

@ MrMoon360

i play VF for myself too but VF feels Different to DOA because u have to use more Sidesteps u can Break alot more Throws witch is better but in VF its the Same 2 or 3 Mistakes and the match is over because juggles usally dont have 180 Damage like in Doa with environment. And you also have less environment in VF than in DoA.

The think about Doa is people are too stupid to use all the tools and crying for a lower lifebar because they dont use wallsplats,slippery stuns, ceiling, chair and etc correctly.

Maybe 300 it is a bit to high 240 is way to low.

Last edited:

MrMoon360

@ MrMoon360

i play VF for myself too but VF feels Different to DOA because u have to use more Sidesteps u can Break alot more Throws witch is better but in VF its the Same 2 or 3 Mistakes and the match is over because juggles usally dont have 180 Damage like in Doa with environment. And you also have less environment in VF than in DoA.

The think about Doa is people are too stupid to use all the tools and crying for a lower lifebar because they dont use wallsplats,slippery stuns, ceiling, chair and etc correctly.

Maybe 300 it is a bit to high 240 is way to low.

I'm in favor of 270. But a point is made from your argument. There is a lot of damage to be done with the environments. Therefore I'd hate this system with much lower life (240) because of the bullshit that is allowed.

Yes. There are crucial differences from VF. Perhaps I misspoke when I mentioned DOA's relation to VF. Its a lot more like an inspiration; not that TECMO KOEI would get solid implementation.
And I blame DOA for its plethora of string delay coupled with free canceling, heavy dependence on holdable stun game, lack of command throw breaks, lack of good pokes, good universal-high-crush 2p (would give room for High attack offense to become stronger), and ability to provide strong offense-- while allowing a coherent, intelligent defense.

I've also come to the conclusion that DOA IS a little too defensive forgiving now for my developing taste. Its just something I have to accept because there's no way in hell to convince Team NINJA to make DOA less forgiving, more brutal and yet fair. Its not their vision and they've already heard enough whining, I assume.

I like more offensive based games that yet have solid defense measures, so you won't be seeing me here often praising DOA. Its a guilty pleasure and nothing more nowadays.
And judging by the nerf that happened to Rachel to bring her in line with the system, Team NINJA doesn't have a clue at what they're doing and is pliable to a crowd that begs forgiveness in mistakes and blind offense. I'd rather all characters have solid offensive tools and reward the players that use them wisely and well.

This is my opinion. The nerf of Rachel was fair for the system; but since this change promotes a dumbing down instead of spicing up for all, DOA5U is just not my cup of tea the way it has turned out to be.

So why am I here making suggestion for things correlated more to Tournies than demoted, guilty pleasure casual play? I'd like to think other DOA players feel the same and would like DOA5U to make some changes. Maybe this game could really get somewhere fast then. I think I'd have more fun showing it off to a friend and getting my ass whooped at a tourney too.

Other than that, I don't see it happening. Many of the fans now are just apologists ("But it is brutal, but there are guaranteed situations, but DOA is just different, but there are 50/50s on top of 50/50s on top of 50/50s."), or poor souls that have embraced what DOA has become and will defend it like a cub ("If you don't like the way it is, trudge along to Tekken. Our small bitter community don't needja."). Are they one in the same? Sorry.

And before anyone tries to defend DOA5U's current brutality (or lack thereof rather), I'll have you know I possess other fighters' frame data and damage pts to boot. So come at me bro.

Mistake, mistake, mistake, do not make mistakes.

I agree with this but I am curious to know: since it kinda seems like you want to talk about other games for a moment...how does the reward of the wall in DOA compare to the wall game of other games?

Nameless Sama

It seems some people don't have a sense of humor.

You got it right !

*facepalm*

Lol are you kidding me ? facepalm ? Yeah hit you in the face that makes sense lol ! I just said I like 300 health because you can make more Izunas that was for fun you leek ! You have no sense of humor lol !

Topic: If you want to play with 240 life then change the health settings to " small " or " smallest " Where is the problem ? I am for 300 life because you learn from your mistakes and that is one of my very good reason. What speaks against mistakes ? Nobody stops learning and where is the fun if they players are scared to make no mistakes ? How long the match takes so high is the pressure and makes fun. I respect your opinion BUT you know that you get punished with High Throw + ? Sorry I am solid and stay for my opinion doesnt matter If you are against it deal with it !

Dr Drake

well i dont see balance in 240 life, 270 is ok like MrMoon360 already said,

i give u two another exsamples why 240 is to low

after Leon´s 66pp, 8k(or 7p or 3k) u cannot Slow Escape the only option u have is getting a critical brust or try to Hold it, so i have 3 options to 50% of ur life, first u counter i perform a hcf throw and take 50%, second i do while rising Kick, 3p, airthrow 50% is gone, i do a 7k, 3pp (Airthrow on Lightweights) and take 45%, thrid option is u dont counter and i burst u and take then 50% of ur life.

And good player will now the second Punch is guaranteed in 66pp then u have 3 guesses to hold the move and 3 guesses to avoid following move. But the stun are long enough to wait with the follow up even the enemy is countering, so every player can wait with the follow ups.

I dont see much Skill in this Setup because there is no Room of Counter Play on 270 there would be still room for a Comeback on 240 u are just dead. And say welcome to the annoying pre nerf Jann Lee in Vanilla.

The same is with Busa on lowest Lifebar setting a HI Counter Izuna takes exactly 50% of ur Life with Ceiling 3/4 of ur life bar again stupid because Hayabusa has setup were he Force u to Counter like Leon aswell.

and i could write about twenty different character setups like these. 240 life wont step up ur game it would end in a fucking one side game with no possible comebacks.
And that is Fatal for a Fighting game.
Or why do u think they put focus and Ultras in Street Fighter because to make Comebacks happen.
And that is what Team Ninja is Trying to do aswell.

Just a Note:

Do u guys even know about the Option Select -6 or -7 moves on block in Doa5u?

Brute

Standard Donor
The same is with Busa on lowest Lifebar setting a HI Counter Izuna takes exactly 50% of ur Life with Ceiling 3/4 of ur life bar again stupid because Hayabusa has setup were he Force u to Counter like Leon aswell.
1) You're never forced to hold
2) I see nothing stupid about baiting holds for strong HiC throws when you're a grappler

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD