2. Hayate
3. Kasumi
4. Helena Douglas
5. Kokoro

Least 3 Online:

1. Bass Armstrong
2. GenFu
3. Pai Chan

Interestingly, I rarely encounter Rachels, Alpha's (though she's massively overused in Tag), Leons, Jackys, Zacks, Baymans or Ayanes for example. Though the few Ayanes I've faced have been facepalm worthy to say the least. Out of all the ninjas. Ayane has to look the absolute worst when she's being used stupidly. Rig can also go to hell online.

It's safe to say that people won't use your main against you, or at least not the 2nd time after they're cleaning up their teeth off the ground.

Brute

Standard Donor
Interestingly, I rarely encounter [...] Ayanes for example.
You must be on a different planet than the one I'm living on. I'm on Earth.

Though the few Ayanes I've faced have been facepalm worthy to say the least. Out of all the ninjas. Ayane has to look the absolute worst when she's being used stupidly.
For me stupid Ryus look the dumbest. I think in general when people use your main at an absolute scrub level you tend to be the most adverse to it.

Pictured Mind

Top 5 online for me are:

1. Ryu Hayabusa (like every 3 fights)
2. Hayate
3. Kasumi
4. Helena Douglas
5. Kokoro

Yeah what's up with these Hayates? No one used him in vanilla because he was bad or something but now it seems like people are using him. He's good now. Still don't really know what to do against him.

Ayane has to look the absolute worst when she's being used stupidly.

Like Brute said, it's more the characters who you main. Because you know what would be good options in a certain situation and they just do something dumb. When I see that one Rachel once a month (lol) they don't go for the air throw and miss a lot of guaranteed damage. These Ratchets also tend to go for the stomp while I backtech.

Same situation for you probably since you main Ayane so bad Ayanes stand out to you, if that makes sense.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yeah what's up with these Hayates? No one used him in vanilla because he was bad or something but now it seems like people are using him. He's good now. Still don't really know what to do against him.

Core Fighters, period. Please hold 3H+K whenever possible.

Like Brute said, it's more the characters who you main. Because you know what would be good options in a certain situation and they just do something dumb. When I see that one Rachel once a month (lol) they don't go for the air throw and miss a lot of guaranteed damage. These Ratchets also tend to go for the stomp while I backtech.

Same situation for you probably since you main Ayane so bad Ayanes stand out to you, if that makes sense.

Exactly, he rarely encounters Hayabusa, whereas I encounter him at every turn, and I rarely ever fight Ayane online except for a couple instances, and he apparently seems to have an Ayane infestation problem.

The thing about Ayane is that her fighting style is so awkward that unless she is being used properly, she looks gimmicky and random as fuck. Hayabusa is a little different in the sense that the scrubby ones spam annoying shit like his teleport & ongyoin shenanigans (apparently H+KKK must be "godlike" to them online also). Scrubby Ayanes look like they have no clue what they are doing and are either spamming 236K, 66KKK or being random. However, scrubby Rigs also look like they are banging their face into their controllers.

The funny thing is when I did encounter scrubby Rachels, all they knew how to do was spam 1PP. Her air throw combos are usually "too pro for them" and they do something like PPP instead lol.

Last edited:

AkaShocka

I think in general when people use your main at an absolute scrub level you tend to be the most adverse to it.
This is very true but at the same time I am with F.O.N these Ayanes are just free. And the Ryus from Core Fighters.... lol.

Anywho, I've seen a ridiculous amount of Rigs and Milas lately. I got to hurry my Rig game up because they are coming fast.

Brute

Standard Donor
Exactly, he rarely encounters Hayabusa, whereas I encounter him at every turn, and I rarely ever fight Ayane online except for a couple instances, and he apparently seems to have an Ayane infestation problem.
I run into a fair amount of Ryus. Much more so now with Core Fighters than I used to in vanilla, no doubt. In both games Ayane has always been the most popular, though, with about 50% of all my matches being against Ayane, and the other half being against the rest of the roster. Ryu is still the ninja I run into least, however (unless counting Alpha).

The thing about Ayane is that her fighting style is so awkward that unless she is being used properly, she looks gimmicky and random as fuck. Hayabusa is a little different in the sense that the scrubby ones spam annoying shit like his teleport & ongyoin shenanigans (apparently H+KKK must be "godlike" to them online also). Scrubby Ayanes look like they have no clue what they are doing and are either spamming 236K, 66KKK or being random.
That's exactly what teleport spams and PPKKK/H+KKK spams look like. Random, gimmicky, scrubby shit. They never free-cancel or stop attacking when at disadvantage, and given that he's got garbage mix-ups, they might as well be shooting themselves in the head. They try to use the weirdest attacks at match-start (where 99% of moves will beat them out). They have no idea how to use his gap-closing tools beyond the laughable teleport tactic. They go out of their way to do counter-intuitive juggles that are harder to execute and net less damage than his simple/ideal ones (ie: they're just randomly hitting buttons). They never use his grabs and holds, despite it being his strongest area as a grappler. They love love love love 9K for some stupid-fucking reason (4H+K is also a favorite). They will attempt the 236P+KPPK combo frquently which is stupid given it's low damage output and high risk when you're not attempting the Izuna. Speaking of the Izuna, if they can CB you, with Hayabusa things are easy. No environment to utilize? Do a Shoho. Highest free-juggle on all weight classes save Alpha. Got a PB/PL? Nothing's changed. Really, really simple. What do they do? 8K PPKKK (+random 9K finish because lolz).

Anyway, I think you just notice the stuff and are more turned off by it whenever it's your main, but to me this is the most basic stuff and they're just like: "fuck it; look at me, I can spam!" and I guess it works? Maybe it doesn't work and they're just not changing it up for some reason? I dunno, but there are only a handful of Ryus I know on PSN who are legit, respectable players (then again, same could be said for virtually any character, though I do seem to know the most Ayanes, Helenas and Kokoros).

Last edited:

Chapstick

I don't really play Ayane anymore but I know she looks absolutely ridiculous when being used by new players, imo she looks the most ridiculous of the ninja at least.

Really bad Kasumis make me cringe so hard. All the time they use 4KK and the typical juggle from that bounce is 2P, 4PKK (which is even in the combo challenge) but they often just K. Just a little boop. Really often they only use a bunch of highs, PPPPP, and 1PP. OH and they love throwing out those goddamn 7K's that magically work for them counter attacking just about everything. That goes for Hayate and Ayane too, I see 7K's EVERYWHERE.
However, scrubby Rigs also look like they are banging their face into their controllers.
Janns seem to do this too while throwing a bunch of dragon kicks

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Can we all just agree that all the ninjas look horrible at the scrub level? When I see Ayane being played horribly, I just have to face palm and punish accordingly. They use the same basic tactics, making her easy as hell to read. But against a high level Ayane player, I get totally flustered because they use her so effectively. Core Fighters is a blessing and a curse, in a way. Yes, more people are playing and getting exposed to DOA, but the character variety and skill level online on PSN took a huge hit due to CF being F2P. Still, glad people are having fun with the game...even if they're horrible at it. Lol

Brute

Standard Donor
It's PSN. Skill level was never generally that high among most of the players.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I run into a fair amount of Ryus. Much more so now with Core Fighters than I used to in vanilla, no doubt. In both games Ayane has always been the most popular, though, with about 50% of all my matches being against Ayane, and the other half being against the rest of the roster. Ryu is still the ninja I run into least, however (unless counting Alpha).

I think the point is that people don't want to mirror your main and instead end up choosing a different ninja. In my experience, I encounter Ryu 19 times more often than I encounter Ayane. I'll even admit that I don't encounter Ayane nearly as often as I should. Hell, if anyone was smart, they'd choose GenFu against me and just divulge the match into a close range LOL-fest.

That's exactly what teleport spams and PPKKK/H+KKK spams look like. Random, gimmicky, scrubby shit. They never free-cancel or stop attacking when at disadvantage, and given that he's got garbage mix-ups, they might as well be shooting themselves in the head. They try to use the weirdest attacks at match-start (where 99% of moves will beat them out). They have no idea how to use his gap-closing tools beyond the laughable teleport tactic. They go out of their way to do counter-intuitive juggles that are harder to execute and net less damage than his simple/ideal ones (ie: they're just randomly hitting buttons). They never use his grabs and holds, despite it being his strongest area as a grappler. They love love love love 9K for some stupid-fucking reason (4H+K is also a favorite). They will attempt the 236P+KPPK combo frquently which is stupid given it's low damage output and high risk when you're not attempting the Izuna. Speaking of the Izuna, if they can CB you, with Hayabusa things are easy. No environment to utilize? Do a Shoho. Highest free-juggle on all weight classes save Alpha. Got a PB/PL? Nothing's changed. Really, really simple. What do they do? 9K PPKKK (+random 9K finish because lolz).

Anyway, I think you just notice the stuff and are more turned off by it whenever it's your main, but to me this is the most basic stuff and they're just like: "fuck it; look at me, I can spam!" and I guess it works? Maybe it doesn't work and they're just not changing it up for some reason? I dunno, but there are only a handful of Ryus I know on PSN who are legit, respectable players (then again, same could be said for virtually any character, though I do seem to know the most Ayanes, Helenas and Kokoros).

Yup, scrubby play in general does look cringeworthy if you know the properties of the moves, but when I watch scrubby Ayanes it is literally painful to the eyes due to the amount of stupidity that occurs. But yeah, scrubby Ryu's just make me LOL. The stuff you described pretty much shows why its no wonder why scrubby Ryu play irks you, but I can't even really describe scrubby Ayane play because of how random and dumbfounded it is. I've seen people use 3KK(6)K (mid kick, high kick, backroll, jumping reverse somersault kick) as a pressure move or juggle and PPPK as a block pressure move. Yeah, you're really going to open me up with a move that is -30 on block -_-.

Brute

Standard Donor
Ayane's PPPK is my favorite move for noobs to use. Now that I have the low-throw 33T Izuna punish, the feeling I get is akin to a stranger stuffing $100 into my pocket. Best part is from stun the final kick is unholdable, which means I can exit stun with a hold and still get my 80-damage throw punish.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I don't really play Ayane anymore but I know she looks absolutely ridiculous when being used by new players, imo she looks the most ridiculous of the ninja at least.

Really bad Kasumis make me cringe so hard. All the time they use 4KK and the typical juggle from that bounce is 2P, 4PKK (which is even in the combo challenge) but they often just K. Just a little boop. Really often they only use a bunch of highs, PPPPP, and 1PP. OH and they love throwing out those goddamn 7K's that magically work for them counter attacking just about everything. That goes for Hayate and Ayane too, I see 7K's EVERYWHERE.

Janns seem to do this too while throwing a bunch of dragon kicks

You're kind of assuming that the average Kasumi or Core Fighter's player has even touched the combo challenge lol.

@Brute: For real. Honestly, blocking Ayane's PPPK is the same as the opponent jumping off a cliff head first. Hell, you could punish it with Alpha's i20 BURST grab if you wanted for 100 damage. If only Hitomi's PPP could be -30 on block too >.<

U_C_A_F

pretty much the same usual ninja's with a bunch of kokoro's thrown in.

what i find funny is how there are little to no rachels. you'd figure with all the whining and begging TN got to bring her into the series that she'd be way more popular than she turned out to be, but i guess since she's no longer brain-dead and OP and requires some semblance of skill and work to win with her...It scared everyone away

Xernuht

I run into lots of Hayabusa and Hayate. It felt so weird getting a round in with Brute because he could actually fight.

After them, I probably fight too many Hitomis and Kasumis. It makes me feel so darn fuzzy inside when I can bust out my no-[3]P, fundamentals-only Eliot and beat the tar out of them with really basic stuff when they should be turning him into a fine British paste.

I wish more people used Bass and Zack, to be honest.

AkaShocka

I am noticing something weird. As Rig and Mila come up, the more Kasumi and Ayane go down.... Please tell me I am not the only person seeing this.

Also, do you guys ever see Gen fu or Bass? I never see those 2. I see Gen Fu here and there but Bass.....

Chapstick

I am noticing something weird. As Rig and Mila come up, the more Kasumi and Ayane go down.... Please tell me I am not the only person seeing this.

Also, do you guys ever see Gen fu or Bass? I never see those 2. I see Gen Fu here and there but Bass.....
I see Gen all the time and for a few days I was seeing Bass everywhere. I still see him occasionally, which is odd because I never saw him a single time in 5 vanilla other than when I used him. I used him in ranked matches for the outfit trophy because losing to BS is easier to swallow when you're playing with a character you know nothing about. :b

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Only Gen Fu I've seen recently spammed 6P strings and H+K that he only followed with 6PPP. This person also played Leon but only ever 6PP2Ked with the occasional throw. I almost told him to just watch Sweet Revenge videos.

Tell me when free Helena is over so I can start improving on my swearing problems.

Recently I've see more Rigs (mixup some more), campy ass Hayabusas (NIN! K, NIN! PPP), campy Lisas (what else is new?), Helena, and more Jackys (again, mixup some more).

Probably the best title I've seen recently is "Survival Master, Survived 100." My first thought was "You won't survive me."

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD