A Collection of Observations & Opinions of Early DOA6 Info

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm a generally critical guy, and I've been characteristically critical of a few aspects concerning DOA6 since its announcement back in June. I am fully aware of the fact that DOA6 is still in "early development" and that technically everything is subject to change. As such, all of my opinions are only tentative towards the game as a whole, and my sentiments are strictly with regards to what has been shown. Perhaps all of my concerns are misplaced and time will reveal how foolish it was for me to be the regular skeptic that I always am. However, it was suggested to me that I properly articulate my current take on the game, so I wanted to take this opportunity to do just that. I realize that much of what I'm about to cover has been addressed in some capacity in various other threads, but I'm creating this one in an effort to weed out some of the repetitious strawmen that have inevitably followed those discussions.

Before I begin, a disclaimer: These are my opinions. I use facts in an effort to explain my reasoning for why I hold those opinions, but at the end of the day, someone will always disagree. I could say that I don't think it's good for the game to include Mario as a guest character, and someone else could always say that I'm wrong for thinking that. You're allowed to disagree with me. I won't hold it against you. However, if you simply tell me to "wait until the game comes out" to make any final judgments, you are an idiot. Obviously, I already know that. My sentiments, once again, are with respect to what we have currently seen thus far and what I would have liked to see at this stage in time. That's all.

Note that if you're new to the series, I recommend ignoring this post entirely, as it's really discussing subjects relative to its predecessor and how the series could potentially evolve. At its core, DOA is still DOA, and I'm fairly confident that DOA6 will be one of the best 3D fighters out there.

GENERAL VISUALS
The graphics are notably improved from DOA5, and are up to current gen standards (unlike some other 3D fighters). Texture resolution, poly count, lighting and even to an extent, physics, have all seen a jump in quality that is appreciated. Graphics aside, the art direction, however, is quite underwhelming. I'm aware that a lot of people are upset at what they perceive to be toned-down sexualization, but regardless what your feelings are on that topic, the new outfit designs don't hold up well on their own merit.

Kasumi has donned her iconic outfit for roughly two decades now, but for some reason they ditched that in the debut material for a generic, boring tightsuit. There are two possibilities here. The first possibility is that Team Ninja felt that her old costume was too provocative, and didn't want people focusing on that element instead of the game's other features, such as gameplay. Obviously, virtually every other fighter has outfits far more revealing than Kasumi's classic outfit, but we do have to keep in mind that there's a perceived stigma surrounding the series whereby certain audiences hold it to different standards. However, she was debuted along with multiple other characters, and I don't believe that anyone would have written the game off for debuting Kasumi in a classic costume. Furthermore, if they didn't want something that could be seen as sexual, it's mind-boggling that they would have chosen a skintight bodysuit. The second possibility is that Team Ninja thought that this new outfit was much better than her iconic one, and that this bodysuit will be more memorable and well-received for the game's flagship protagonist. This possibility necessitates that Team Ninja is blind. It doesn't express her character in any way and could easily be copy-pasted into virtually any other project without anyone taking notice. If they're going to replace such a signature visual of the series, at least replace it with something good. A generic bodysuit is doing no one any favors. I am aware that Team Ninja has said that Kasumi's classic outfit will be returning. But that doesn't change the fact that they chose this outfit to try and represent the game at its monumentally important debut, indicating the direction the game is taking aesthetically. What this suggests is that the visual direction for this game is more fixated on generic than memorable, and that can be seen in other areas than strictly Kasumi's costume.

I literally had to google Helena's outfit to even remember what it was in this game. Granted, I thought her default in DOA5 was terrible, but at least I could remember it in its various, terrible details. Her DOA6 outfit doesn't linger in my mind for more than ten seconds after it leaves my visual field. Hayate's new outfit is not quite as forgettable, but it also happens to be the worst of the bunch. The thing is just so damn ugly. Hitomi used to sport a denim get-up, and while it wasn't the most novel or groundbreaking design, it was at least memorable, and I always took it as an homage to Ein's C2 from DOA2. They did better with her hoodie in DOA5, despite it being her alternate costume (yes, DOA5's alternate cosumes in the alpha demo were better than the premiere outfits for DOA6). But for DOA6, TN opted for a generic gi, even choosing to omit her phoenix logo from the DOA3 rendition that made it slightly unique to her [edit: the phoenix is actually still present, but it's now an incredibly tiny, black spec against a white background, rather than the far more noticeable and distinct gold pattern atop a black background in DOA3, where it was also much bigger]. Now it's just a bland gi, the most over-used, boring outfit in all of the fighting game genre. The new guy's outfit is also incredibly forgettable, unlike his face, which is actually pretty well done (except for the sideburns that are obviously far too long for a human being in the 21st century).

And, of course, we're getting an influx of terrible recolors. I'm aware that some people have suggested that it's early, and that TN is simply dedicating resources to other areas instead of making a bunch of costumes. That would be a legitimate stance, except that if that were truly the case, TN would simply make one recolor of each outfit (for the 2P slot) for efficiency. Instead, they've been showing off a vast array of terrible recolors for each outfit. Doing this actually consumes time/resources, rather than conserving them. In contrast, when DOA5 came out with its playable demos, they not only redesigned everyone's face and look for the new art direction, but also included at least two distinct outfits for each character in addition to doing much more.

Lastly, the U.I. is just bad. If you like it, great. I don't.

ANIMATIONS
Historically, DOA has always stood apart from other fighters in how they emphasize combat. The series forgoes flashy "effects," and instead focuses on the fluid and responsive movements of the characters. Rather than having a choppy, single-digit frame animation attached to a bunch of lightning, you would instead see a human body make a motion that clearly resembled a punch. This gave DOA a more "grounded" feel than many other fighters, since you could more clearly see and focus on the smooth movement of the characters, even as they transitioned between multiple actions. The few exceptions to this were always a bit jarring (such as immediately zapping downward when performing a low hold after being put in a lift stun), since in general the games look far more analogous to what you might find in a kung-fu flick than what you see in other fighters. Even the clearly unrealistic moves are generally quite easy to distinguish, such as Kasumi's 1T or Hayabusa's 214P. Other fighting games tend to rely on particle effects and the like to emphasize impact as a way of compensating for lackluster animation, whereas DOA has never needed to. Dimensions and DOA5 toyed with the idea of hit effects, but virtually everyone I know had them turned off, because they only obscured the beautiful action animation.

But Team Ninja has been slowly drifting away from this approach. Some of DOA5's post-launch characters showed hints of a stylistic approach more akin to other fighters (such as Momiji, Phase 4, Naotora and Raidou), and even changed some previously fine visuals with new, bad ones (such as Hayabusa's 3H+K). Now with DOA6, it only seems to be getting worse. The new character, Diego, exhibits an entire movelist of atrocious animation quality. There is no sense of momentum to his movements, as he sort of pops or slides from one position to the next. For example, he has a throw where he knees someone to the gut and then pushes them to the ground. The push, however, seems to just happen, as if the opponent is made of metal and the floor spontaneously morphs into a magnet. Then there's Hayabusa, who now has a bunch of superfluous lightning and fire particle effects added to some of his returning attacks which have no business having them. These effects are also attached to his new moves, such as his new ongyoin twirl and the gimmicky hold mechanic. All of them are hideous, and they only serve to obfuscate the action.

STAGES
So, the first trailer and builds had two stages. The first was a dark street corner/alley, with a bunch of obnoxious and distracting bystanders reminiscent of Street Fighter's confounding fetish (though here, at least they do something). It's far too dark with terrible black levels, and is otherwise pretty generic and uninteresting. There are, at least, some destructible and rebounds off the bystanders, unlike the other stage, which is a simple flat floor with walls (the worst kind of DOA stage, aside from a flat floor without walls). This stage, in contrast to its sister stage, is too bright, but still colorless and generally pretty boring. Both of these stages suck. DOA5 debuted with Scramble, which showed countless new environment interactions and multiple stages. The visuals were a bit bland, but there was still a lot interesting happening as a result of all the effort put in. It was new, innovative ground. DOA6's debut stages were boring by pre-existing standards, let alone even trying to impress or excite with anything new. At Gamescom they debuted a pirate ship stage with a giant kraken monster, multiple levels, destructibles and other unique interactions. I actually like this stage pretty well. It could use a bit more color contrast, and the ship's interior could be brightened up a bit. But overall, it's good, and I hope to see more like it.

GAMEPLAY
The most obvious element here is the meters, but I'm actually going to keep my thoughts on this element rather brief since I've already discussed it at length elsewhere, and anything more than broad impressions are simply tentative conjecture since I haven't played the game myself and the systems are still being tweaked and refined anyhow. I have never seen meters implemented well in a fighting game, and nothing I have seen suggests that DOA6 will be the exception. Feel free to disagree, that's just my stance.

Thoughts on meters aside, however, I am far more concerned about the lack of any other innovation. DOA5 introduced some new gimmicks with power-blows and cliffhangers, but it also brought in a wealth of game-changing mechanics that assisted the fundamental flow of the series' established systems. Things like sidesteps, sit-down stuns, critical bursts, breakable object interactions, etc. all re-examined and re-evaluated the function, potential and cohesion of a character's entire toolset, further emphasizing character identity and the considered utility for each action. I'm aware that not all of these mechanics were introduced in their final form from DOA5's original announcement, but what concerns me is that so far DOA6 has yet to introduce anything of such nature. They seem to be focused solely on the meter and "break" features as the "new" aspect of the game's mechanics, but those alone can't rival the innovation and progress we saw in DOA5. DOA6 largely seems like "DOA5 with meters," and I'm not sure that fully warrants selling a brand new game, especially after they were comfortable re-releasing the previous game in in so many different iterations.

Then we can look at movelists, and the pure stagnation present there. Almost every character's movelist is a carbon-copy of their DOA5 counter-part with perhaps a few new inputs you can count on one hand. This is vastly different from DOA5, where not only did we get a wealth of new moves for each character by the time a playable demo was released, but the new commands also vastly influenced the function and approach of the respective character. Additionally, returning moves had their properties tweaked, showing a clear indication that balancing these characters' tools was a priority.

If you're looking for an anecdote, this post is useful for perspective. Since the E3 demo, we've seen a couple of new things for Hayabusa. He has various tweaks or additions to throws from ongyoin, none of which change his gameplan in any notable way. He also has a new ugly, flaming high punch attack from ongyoin. Those of you who are familiar with Hayabusa know that the last thing he needed was another high punch from ongyoin. His pre-existing high punch options from the stance were pretty much his only pressure options from ongyoin that weren't totally stupid. This is why 2P as an ongyoin counter was so effective. To make ongyoin into a stance that isn't complete crap, he would need a sane pressure option from the stance that is literally anything but another high attack, let alone another high punch. This kind of superfluous obliviousness reminds me of the arbitrary changes we saw moving from 5 vanilla to 5U, where it seemed like TN felt compelled to make new things to justify selling a new game, so they grabbed junk from a hat and threw it in random directions. The results were often confounding, such as giving Hayabusa a new tracking mid punch (44P). But unlike his pre-existing tracking mid-punch, this one had no follow-ups, making it virtually useless and contributing almost nothing to the character's toolset.

This is, of course, in addition to the fact that we're not seeing many property revisions to pre-existing moves in DOA6 thus far. Literally every combo we've seen from Hayabusa is a DOA5 combo, and he is not exactly unique in this respect (I've simply been using him since he was a debut character for both games and happens to be one who I'm very familiar with). Almost everyone shown thus far seems to follow the trend of the game in general: DOA5 but with meters.

I will, however, end on a positive note. I've heard rumors that stagger-escaping is gone. If true, this is a wonderful development, even if it is coming many years later than it should have.

CONCLUSION
If you're pumped and excited by what you've seen, great! All the more power to you. But so far, I've personally been underwhelmed with what DOA6 has shown. What would I ideally like to see in the coming months?

-New system mechanics separate from the meter system
-New/revised moves that notably impact the respective character's gameplan or abilities
-New costumes that don't suck (remove recolors)
-Less effects and more clear animation
-More diverse and interesting stages
-Character themes (music)

I want to be excited, but I haven't seen anything that excites me yet.

PS: For the record, I'm not trying to condemn or lambaste Team Ninja or anything. I know they have reasons for making the decisions they've made, and I still love their games and am very much looking forward to Nioh 2. These are just some of my early thoughts on the things I've seen of DOA6 at this point in time.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I think this is a well written post, and it's hard for me to disagree with you, especially if you do the proper research, but I think there is a way to fix some of these not so positive elements:

GRAPHICS
In this category I could practically repeat what you said.... most of the defaults are embarrassments, and somehow they completely void out how I perceived Hayate because he definitely looks the worst with some people that main him not being able to recognize him from the get-go. Isn't that kind of a bad thing when you expect people to get behind their characters? There is already a fan art of Kasumi that represents the generic tight-suit far better than the Team NINJA product.

Team NINJA never seems to learn their lesson with the recolors. The community has been begging them for years to make a color wheel and that would solve every problem. My belief is you should get ONE each; and be able to color that costume to your choosing. The costumes actually do become a system thing when there are over 100 of them and 50 of them are pointless recolors.

ANIMATIONS
I think the animations are still very good, but there are definitely some issues that I hope will be fixed sooner than later. Diego's 2HK (I assume that's the input) is a carbon copy of Rachel's that not only makes me fear the characters return but is also an example of "lazy" development because the move does not blend in well with him at all.

Even if you don't like the meter, at least that element seems to be bringing in some new animations. Hayabusa's effects look incredible, but they just kind of come out here and there. There should be a bevy of new animations to delight us all. Even at 15% they still look better than anything Tekken has to offer, and that's not just me -- that's fact. Itagaki said in Ninja Gaiden II's development that it took up to 2-weeks to design a single move for Hayabusa.

STAGES
This is a point where I kind of disagree. I think Throwdown is a stage I can live with because it has a lot of places for environment damage, and I've yet to feel surrounded by people in a DOA stage yet so this one could be more refreshing than you think. It's also probably the only story element to Diego I will like because this is an accurate depiction to how and where he's been fighting as almost a waste to society.

There are only so many ways to dress a turd, and the Colosseum is disgusting; perhaps worse than any generic stage before it in the series history. The colors of this one make me sick, and I would be open to this stage receiving a ban right out of the gate for tournament play. That being said, the newly announced pirate ship is everything I would want from a DOA stage.

GAMEPLAY
The meter could end up being a good thing if it's done right, and I think too many of the gimmick moves in DOA5 were underutilized whether it be because their character didn't have great response after a power launcher or because people would rather play it safe and take a power blow with the environment instead. I've watched every single offline Dead or Alive 5 tournament; every last one. There were maybe a handful of times that mechanic worked in offline play -- and plenty more times where they get knocked out right after.

Even if Diego looked a little stiff, Sonic Fox was quickly making the character look great and all of Diego's tools seemed to have a sense of purpose. He took Master's Hayabusa to school, and I agree with you again that they've not done anything to fix his problems and hopefully they continue to build on his move-set and throw things away that are not working.

To finish I agree with your points, especially with how you wrap things up in your conclusion. DOA5 should be apparent in the making of DOA6 but it shouldn't be too overwhelming when we want new developments and ideas for a sequel.

MegaMegaMike

I’m happy to say that as a pretty recent player, I’m very excited for DOA6 so far. No major complaints from me. The only thing I’d like to see is the sidestep not move all the way to the opponent’s back. Other than that, I’m happy with everything I’ve seen. Hopefully more stages and characters will be shown soon!

prototypetom

Thanks for writing something long but worth reading. (and DOAN too).

I might just be the least knowledgeable regular vistor you have here, so I wouldn't debate much of what you said. But something i do know about is brand and its development. This is of course conjecture, but it's with some experience in other industries.

The Kasumi outfit had a purpose, and it wasn't to make DOA fans happy - in more cynical moment i might even suspect pissing off the regulars suits this phase of the games marketing. DOA does have a perception problem. Degrees can be discussed of course, but I think no-one here would dispute that there isn't a general under appreciation of how much of a game there is under the (not-unfair) surface impressions. I believe the marketers of DOA6 understood (correctly) that a statement needed to be made - 'DOA isn't what you think it is, have another look'. What better way to imply a dramatic change in the game than to dramatically change the appearance of it's figurehead character. (That cynical idea I mentioned is that what better way to back up that implication, than to see the faithful reacting in a fairly repulsed manner - like something really is different).

Its just not as simple as it being a good or bad costume. the point is it's not the Kasumi everyone else knows (and we love) - and I think people ARE taking notice. I think if they'd debuted a similar to normal blue tunic thingy and said "tah dah! DOA6 everyone!" the announcement would have been a footnote in the mainstream games media (as they'd await for the inevitable feminist outcry that would give them a story to write about nearer release once Tina shows up). I think what they've done is very wise, they've taken a brand synonymous with fanservice and exploitation outside of it's fanbase and managed to direct the narrative themselves as much as they could have hoped. Even at the cost of pissing off the hardcore a little, it's worth the risk because they know we'll come around because we only truly care about what the game's like at launch - they had/have one shot with the wider audiences who have preconceptions they have to challenge, first impressions and all that jazz.

So what we got was our icon dressed in a simple fight suit. what it conjures in my mind is a training outfit of some type - pointing at technical fighting. Its also illustrative of the body shape, there's no distracting trails of material or puffy bits, its just raw form, laid bare - again pointing at technical fighting. yes it's dull, and it's not what WE are really looking for, but this reveal phase isn't aimed at us. Of course they want us engaged and involved to carry the hype or just make noise, but atm I think all we'll see from the game in the near future is technical fight looking stuff - hence Hitomi's gi rather than jeans, leifangs sporty traditional look rather than her normal actual traditional (or student-y) look(s).

This might seem to indicate the direction the game is going aesthetically - but at this point I really think that's the spin. I think it's carefully considered and has been working as far as I've seen. We have the conversations KT will want in other quarters than this - "maybe DOA isnt the titty fighter, it's the getting serious fighter that owns it's own space mechanics-wise. Maybe its the real contender it's maybe always been but was too busy dropping quaters and peeking up skirts to fulfil it's potential, maybe".

If i was marketing this game I'd be following this kind of timeline:
Now: Appeal to the wider FGC via a media riding on the popular de-sexualisation train. Before long I think the EVO charming type stuff will drop off for a while, interest is up, but the wider fighter community won't get too hyped until there's more substance on offer - so in the next few months focus will shift...
After SC6 fuss dies down: Appeal to the mainstream while we have the media's positive attention. We'll see more stages with flashy effects, good post pub action for casuals. Maybe some story mode stuff if there's any USP in there. we might see more of the brutality stuff but they'll be keen to steer clear of the sexy stuff still - so i'd expect more low key female and male character reveals to keep up the idea of this being a less exploitative iteration of the franchise. I think the hardcore faitful are going to have to make do with things like roster count and stage details - and maybe some deeper mechanics stuff to chew on that the casual media won't concern themselves with.
Final push: Then with a couple of months to launch they'll give the fans of the sexier stuff a bone or two with costume plans and they'll appeal to the existing fanbase (and now mildly interested wider FGC) with modes, implementation stuff - what you're really buying with a fighting game. Plus future plans, roster capacity, season passes etc.... Kasumi's real C1.

I think by launch Kasumi's fight suit will have served it's purpose and exposed as just being one option in a more recognisable range of outfits, maybe C2.

None of us are going to stop paying attention till launch, and in the end we'll all be there day one if the game we get on day one is something like what we want to see when it's time to pay up. I do think the sexy stuff will stay toned down, but I don't think it'll be anything like what the ASJW's calling for a boycot would like to believe to sustain their counter-outrage.

Its quite likely I'm very wrong about all of that. But hey, the optimism is nicer to live with. I'm expecting DOA6 to be really wonderful - and nothing wholly like what's been shown so far.

The only three negatives I'm really worried about atm... colour swaps ARE a lazy crutch, DLC and further value is priced horribly, Lisa's actually dead.

Last edited:

werewolfgold

While I have some nitpicks with the bodysuit's design (lol heels), I have no qualms with them changing Kasumi's default outfit. It's clear that they're trying to mimic comics and action movies which do come off as "cool" as opposed to something that would just be a remix of the same outfit again. I had no troubles picking out Hayate on reveal and I can perfectly remember what Helena's outfit is in the game, so I can't help you guys there. lol

I do feel that the arena stage seems humdrum and I wouldn't have going with that one to reveal at the start. However, it seems like a response to DOA5 criticisms claiming that the game was too dark and gritty.

The effects on Hayabusa's attacks do seem tacked on. I understand that it's odd given what we know of his abilities from the NG series that he isn't throwing fire, lightning, and void attacks on the regular anyway. But, it comes off as lazy.

The fight UI is...plain. It at least needs character portraits or more elaborate life bars. And I do think that Diego's animations need some tweaking, but who knows if we'll get it.

As for the fighting system, we'll probably have to see. There is merit to mixing things up, but if a given combo worked well before, there'd probably be no reason to mess with it outside of balancing issues.

I will say that it's silly to complain about recolors when recolors have always been a thing, either by selecting the costume with a given button, or just have the recolors separate further down the costume list, padding out the numbers. Insofar as there will be 1 or 2 more costumes per character (all with recolors or slight variations), that's just part for the course on first release.

MegaMegaMike

I don't really get the complaints with the UI. It's clean and easy to read -- everything I want. The character select screen is also sick. I feel like the Colosseum stage was deliberately shown off first to try and have a very neutral stage shown to non-DOA players. It helps them see the game system first, then the stage action second. The alley stage had some grounded interactions, which was easy to understand, and now they revealed the over-the-top pirate ship stage. There's some escalation to the reveals to slowly show people how wacky DOA can be.

I never liked Kasumi's original costume at all, so I don't mind her new look. It looks like a ninja jumpsuit. I think they want the default to very easily represent the character and their fight style to people unacquainted with DOA. If you tune into a stream and see Hitomi in the gi, you know she's a karate girl. I think they feel confident their fans will stick around, while they try and catch the eyes of people not yet playing DOA. Plus, they've said Kasumi's original outfit will be in anyway, so unless they lied I don't see the big deal. I don't like Rig's default, but I could just pick another costume if I wanted to play him. Hitomi's gi isn't my favorite, but if there's another costume I like, then I'll pick that one. Also, not sure what the problem with recolors are? They all look cool so far. It would be preferred to be able to color them myself though.

Truth

I agree with the visual aspect. All the character designs suck. I dont hate kasumis body suit. it would be cute for an alternative custom, but there was no problem with the the original dress. I have no issue with DOA scaling back the sexiness, in fact I think it was necessary but they are completely stripping the characters of their personality. I dont want to see Leifang in anything other than her brown china dress and stilettos. Its what made her so distinctive.

Hayate and Ryu just need more reflective armour and bold accents to make the costum pop.

The Kasumi outfit had a purpose, and it wasn't to make DOA fans happy - in more cynical moment i might even suspect pissing off the regulars suits this phase of the games marketing. DOA does have a perception problem. Degrees can be discussed of course, but I think no-one here would dispute that there isn't a general under appreciation of how much of a game there is under the (not-unfair) surface impressions. I believe the marketers of DOA6 understood (correctly) that a statement needed to be made - 'DOA isn't what you think it is, have another look'. What better way to imply a dramatic change in the game than to dramatically change the appearance of it's figurehead character. (That cynical idea I mentioned is that what better way to back up that implication, than to see the faithful reacting in a fairly repulsed manner - like something really is different).

Its just not as simple as it being a good or bad costume. the point is it's not the Kasumi everyone else knows (and we love) - and I think people ARE taking notice. I think if they'd debuted a similar to normal blue tunic thingy and said "tah dah! DOA6 everyone!" the announcement would have been a footnote in the mainstream games media (as they'd await for the inevitable feminist outcry that would give them a story to write about nearer release once Tina shows up). I think what they've done is very wise, they've taken a brand synonymous with fanservice and exploitation outside of it's fanbase and managed to direct the narrative themselves as much as they could have hoped. Even at the cost of pissing off the hardcore a little, it's worth the risk because they know we'll come around because we only truly care about what the game's like at launch - they had/have one shot with the wider audiences who have preconceptions they have to challenge, first impressions and all that jazz.
they covered her up enough with with the doa5 catsuit tho. They could have did something like that again and the game still be taken seriously.

prototypetom

they covered her up enough with with the doa5 catsuit tho. They could have did something like that again and the game still be taken seriously.

The Black and pink thing? in terms of tone perhaps, but its not as serious looking though imo. But that's only half of it, it needed to be 'NEW' as well.
Also, don't you think they'd have got an even saltier response from the hardcore fanbase if they trotted her out an actual DOA5 outfit? I think I'd have been overwhelmingly underwhelmed by something like that.

Truth

The Black and pink thing? in terms of tone perhaps, but its not as serious looking though imo. But that's only half of it, it needed to be 'NEW' as well.
Also, don't you think they'd have got an even saltier response from the hardcore fanbase if they trotted her out an actual DOA5 outfit? I think I'd have been overwhelmingly underwhelmed by something like that.
I dont see any pink. this one:

latest

Had the right amount of sexy and the right amount of practicality. they could have updated it.

I dont hate the doa6 suit tho. its theonly decent design they showed form any of the characters so far.

Helena is French. There is no French inspiration behind her default custom. These costumes make everyone look the same.

prototypetom

@Truth doh, sorry of course that one (I don't play Kasumi, i try and avoid tbh), i was thinking of the weird one with a helmet. Still think that one's a bit fleshy for the purpose I believe they had though.

Macca Beam

it's worth noting that despite the various (((improvements))) in the graphics, overseas reception is that it now "looks like an illusion h-game". can't say i disagree. it's the most uncanny looking game in the series right after x3

pointing at technical fighting. Its also illustrative of the body shape, there's no distracting trails of material or puffy bits, its just raw form, laid bare - again pointing at technical fighting
ironically, the game simultaneously got even LESS technical than it already was with the introduction of 3-way holds and one button combos
and remind me again why "pointing at technical fighting" would be needed when some of the most technical fighting games on the market (usually the 2d anime ones) REVEL themselves in trails of materials, fluffs, fireworks and impracticality?

I think it's carefully considered and has been working as far as I've seen
the popular de-sexualisation train
i have yet to see a noticeable presence of this imaginary audience who was on the verge of trying out doa for decades but didn't because they're afraid of pixels on the screen the game was supposed to reel in.

also this "train" consisted of exactly two games: mkx and the recent doa6, so it's not quite as popular as you think. the others are either doing what they've been doing for ages (sfv, t7, ah3, xrd) or full on indulging in it like sc6 and snk's meme game.

ChiefEmann

I'm confused about the hate towards the recolors. It's certainly not a costume replacement, but I love choosing weird alternate colors in fighting games, and all of my experience in graphic programming tells me supporting any range of colors is barely any dev effort if the system supports it.

This seems like a only a positive assuming alternate costumes do get produced regularly

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm confused about the hate towards the recolors. It's certainly not a costume replacement, but I love choosing weird alternate colors in fighting games, and all of my experience in graphic programming tells me supporting any range of colors is barely any dev effort if the system supports it.

This seems like a only a positive assuming alternate costumes do get produced regularly

Why are you confused? Not only are they the same thing, but they take up costume slots when you are making your selection making it even more redundant and stupid when they could simplify it with being able to just edit the costume. It's not the biggest deal in this post and that's why this post opens up with costumes because the most important part is gameplay which is saved for last.

Somehow though that analysis is not discussed at all, but well validated hate on Kasumi's generic tight suit that we've seen on millions of females before her gets a paragraph and confusion.

WAZAAAAA

My only complaint about the new shit in DOA6 so far is the announcer
I'll be honest he sounds pretty ass I could do a better job please hire me lmao

prototypetom

It's a shame you didn't tag me, i almost missed this.
ironically, the game simultaneously got even LESS technical than it already was with the introduction of 3-way holds and one button combos
and remind me again why "pointing at technical fighting" would be needed when some of the most technical fighting games on the market (usually the 2d anime ones) REVEL themselves in trails of materials, fluffs, fireworks and impracticality?

i have yet to see a noticeable presence of this imaginary audience who was on the verge of trying out doa for decades but didn't because they're afraid of pixels on the screen the game was supposed to reel in.

also this "train" consisted of exactly two games: mkx and the recent doa6, so it's not quite as popular as you think. the others are either doing what they've been doing for ages (sfv, t7, ah3, xrd) or full on indulging in it like sc6 and snk's meme game.

Agree with the irony part, but the presentation of something regularly has little to do with the reality.

The rest -
Other more technical fighters aren't usually working against a preconception of what their market is. Talking generally, if someone doesn't care for a brand they usually tend to maintain just one 'truth' that they sustain their opinion with. It's like a label they can put on the box which holds everything else they know, and then they don't have bother thinking about the thing itself as much in the future, just the label if they can. Back to DOA... although the clean 'technical' styling of the outfit doesn't actually say anything necisserily truthful about the nature of the gameplay, it DOES attempt (I think) to present something notably different form the 'fanservice game' type label which I have heard many many gamers put on DOA.

Its been my experience that if someone has heard of, or knows about DOA, but doesn't play it, the first thing they might say when i mention I play it is "the game with the boobs?". But that's the casual market. Proper fighting game fans who have elected to not play DOA I would guess fall into two categories - ones that don't rate it objectively on some level(technical, style, prestige) compared the the games they do play, and ones who don't like it enough to bother with the stigma of it's brand perception (which comes mostly from outside, from the mainstream). The technical 'look' I think this outfit promotes is (mostly) directly aimed at the mainstream - 'oh this looks more serious and i can see that easily without tassles and shit flying around'. As a consequence of that, it's more indirectly aiming at that latter group of FG players. All FG players are not gonna put down their chosen games and flock to DOA, but what the aim will be is to cast the net wider in order to increase the games reach, and lay the groundwork for more growth in that market over time. If that changeable group of FG players pick it up, maybe it gets another shot in EVO, then some of folks the former group might come into play.

Having outfits even as extreme as Ivy's in SC is perfectly reasonable in a wide appeal game - when they're extremes in context of the game. the diamond nipple tassle outfits that came from DOAX etc, they shift median average 'tone' of the art style way more to the fan-service end of the spectrum. The marketers of DOA6 understand they're not starting with a blank slate here, whats good for SC6 isn't necisserily good for DOA6. When a see-saw has tipped one way, you have to put more pressure on it to make it level (for a time) than to keep it level once it's balanced. I think we'll see plenty of sexy outfits in DOA6 - just not much while they're trying to rebalance perceptions, and probably no return to the-most-technical-thing-about-DOA-is-this-outfit-is-not-technically-nude costumes which along with lowbrow marketing in the past undermined the potential of this brand.

The train I spoke of I meant generally across media and society, its a train media outlets want to be on more than game producers. I admire the way other games have stuck to their guns despite the noisy minority of outrage addicts - I just don't think they have quite the challenge DOA has in fulfilling the ambitions they have for their respective franchises.

Last edited:

Leifang12

I have to put my two sense into this thread. For people who don't know who I am, I've been playing DOA for 18 years since DOA2H on the PS2 and I've been an active part of the community for a very long time. I'm normally not as vocal on the forums anymore as I once was, but I feel I need to share these thoughts, since I still love DOA and I really want it to become the best it can be

Stages:.
I feel TN is doing the same mistakes they did with DOA5 stages. Make them square or circle shape and put in "Dangerzones" by/in the walls. The detail is still not the same as in past DOA games (pre. DOA5). The stages feel stale compared to older stages. Even the DOA3 stages in DOA5 still felt flat to me and that has something to do with the animations, lighting, sky texture, colouring and background blur effect (WHICH SUCKS). I really want to be able to see the background details more clearly and get rid of the blur effect and the "shine" effect that is in DOA5.

Also where is the stairs, slopes, the animals you can punch into, the chandeliers that can fall down if you do a attack into them in the ceiling. The cars that can run you over. The gigantic stages with multiple areas you can fall down into. The weather stages with either rain, snow, snowstorms, burning stages and much more. I also don't get why TN are not focusing on more bright colours. I really dislike the whole "Street fight concept". DOA has always been fantastical to me, with a little more on the fantasy side and not so serious when it comes to stages and colouring. I also would like to see more details with grass and wind. I think it would be so cool if there was more details in these areas. Just give me more.

Lets talk about walls. Wall splats were much more consistant in previous DOA games (pre DOA5) and it seems like again the wall games are much more random. I would like the wall splats to be more consistant and happen more frequently, instead of the side wall splat that takes them to the ground! I would also like if you hit the wall and it is not a full on wall splat, it WONT BREAK THE WALL and fall down to the next platform. This is strategy and if I don't want to go down to the next level, but still hit the wall, I should be able to do that, without falling down into the next level.

Animation:.
Stage animation: is something I deeply care about. I don't like the crowd animation in the Throwdown stage, where you punch someone into the crowd and it changes to a cinematic sequence, and completely changed the flow of the battle. It looks really unpolished. I would have wanted to have no camera angle changes and just like them grab onto the character getting punched and throw them out into the arena. Also it changes where the opponent is standing on the stage. So if the attacker is far away from the "crowd animation push out" animation, suddenly they are standing close to it??? This is just stupid and needs to change. It was the same with the cliff hanger animations. You punch them out of the wall, which is by the edge and then suddenly they are rolling on the floor??? I never understood this animation sequence and I really hope they change it.

Now lets talk about falling animations. If you watch the fall down animation from the latest stage Hidden Fortune, it is the exact same animation from DOA5, where you fall from one floor to an other. This has bothered me A LOT. in previous DOA games, all stages had multiple falling down animations. The camera would randomly pick a camera to focus on the fall itself and it made every match seem unique. Also the angle of the body would change, to match the way the character was facing. Example If you fall down with your stomach towards the ground, the stage fall animation in DOA5 would still have the stomach pointing upwards towards the camera.... In previous DOA games this was not the case and this needs to come back. Also if you go and play the Lorelei stage in DOA5 and DOA3, the top platform is very different. in DOA3 every wall that you can punch your opponent into has the character jumping from the ledge of the broken wall. In DOA5 if you punch the character out of the wall in the most outer breakable wall, the jump and falling animation will be from the breakable wall 2 walls away. and AGAIN all the breakable walls has the same animation, no camera where you see the jump from a frog perspective, nothing. Still the same jump animation and the camera angle change to see the character hit the ground, with their body facing upwards, even though they were facing a different angle when they were falling down.

I don't know if I am being nit-picky but this is what I fell in love with about DOA. It was the beautiful HUGE stages with incredible animation sequences that would change every time and every wall hit, was different and unique.

Character Animations:
This is not my area of expertise, but I would like to say that I feel the new characters, especially Mila, Rig and Diego looks sloppy animation wise compared to older characters. The beauty in the moves are not their and they look much more clunky and out of place. That's why I never could relate to any of them. They always felt of out place to me. Diego looks like a huge Tina in my opinion . I don't know if they don't get real human martial arts into the studio anymore and film them doing the attacks like they did back in the day.

I also don't get why we can't have all the old win poses back from older DOA games. Someone told me that their recordings are different quality and would sound horrible in the new game. JUST RECORD NEW VERSIONS OF THE VOICE THEN! it takes maybe 30 minutes for them to do it again. It feels so lazy that there are only 2-3 win poses pr. character in the game and this needs to stop.

Also in Leifangs battle stance her feet move without her leg moving and it started in DOA5 and it bothers me to this day! I noticed it in the first Leifang trailer from DOA5 and no one has made her feet stand still in her stance, like they used too. haha

Costumes:.
As a fashion designer I have a lot to say about this. DOA5 DLC I hated sooooo much. I liked it in the beginning, but in the end it was just comical. I hated all the co-op DLC from Mangas and other videogames. It was just so lazy. I wanted them to create new ORIGINAL costumes that fit the characters personality and style.

Now talking about new ORIGINAL costumes, they actually did this in DOA6, but this is not what I had in mind. If you look at Helena's original design aesthetic, it was french pirate with a hing of asian heritage because of her Chinese martial arts fighting style. This fit her persona so well and the more renascence vibe was perfect for her character. Now her costumes in DOA6 is much more asian'esqe and all the victorian french pirate theme has gone out the window. They really need to stop changing the characters personality and create to WHO THEY ARE ! Helena is FRENCH and needs to be more french in her look. Her original red outfit, with the white lace and gold embroidery and white tights is PERFECT. It really symbolises who she is. Also why is Helena wearing flats ???? Helena is a woman who has always worn heels. Yes I know heels are not possible in a real fight, but this is a VIDEOGAME and she needs heels !

I don't get why Kasumi needs an boring leather suit, with no uniqueness. I think they could have done much more to make this outfit unique and make is personal to Kasumi. All the new outfits seems unoriginal and dated. I need more fantastical outfits, that will wow the user. Even Leifangs outfit which I like, is boring. Leifang's character is a RICH girl. Look at Anna's outfit from the TEKKEN 7 reveal trailer ! That is a fucking cool outfit!! I don't know why they are not taking chances with the outfits and making the characters more fantastical, while still staying true to the characters personality and likes

I need more Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent from the TN Design Team

Gameplay:.
I am just gonna say it!! I hate the idea of having the "get out of jail free card" SPECIAL button. It is just so fucking stupid. People are not gonna wanna learn DOA because of a easy smash button, that can make 1 cool move, that can be countered by a decent newb player and make the button completely useless. DOA has never been hard to get into, I really don't get why the game has been dumbed down to this. It really doesn't need it and the E-Sports community will not appreciate it either. It is a mechanic that will ruin the game. People nowadays want's to get into a game easily with instant gratification and DOA in it's core does that with it's triangle system. which makes it easy to get into, but hard to master! Fighting games has always been difficult to get into and that should not change. If you don't put in the time, then you won't succeed. That is just a fact and if you don't like practicing and bettering yourself, then leave the game

I am also gonna say that the command input in DOA5 is atrocious, the game feels not responsive when I play the game. I tried playing DOA2U and DOA3 and I was amazing at how well the input commands were and how much faster it felt. Every time I play DOA5 I feel like I have to wait to input my moves and I really hope DOA6 is better at registering the commands.

Music/Sound:.
The music in DOA5 and DOA6 is terrible. The generic electric guitar, with a mediocre melody that makes no sense to the stage we are playing inside. The Hidden Fortune stage music is also unforgettable along with the Throwdown stage. Please hire a new musician to create the music for the game or find the person who did DOA1,2 and 3s music. Also I prefer characters based music, and not stage based, but that is sadly not coming back either !

I need more melodic tunes with instruments befitting of the character or environment !

Character Design:.
This goes hand in hand with Costumes. What I really want is more diverseness in the characters personality. They need to be better at storytelling and find out who the character is at their core and be inspired to create for their characteristics.

Now lets talk about Mila, who in my mind is the WORST character ever in DOA. She is boring, her personality resembles Hitomi's tomboy persona and Tina's fighter persona. And it makes for a complete waste of space. Her outfits are boring as hell and she is just in generel boring to play as as well. They really need to look into other fighting game franchises and figure out why their most popular characters work so well. Marie Rose I kinda like, because I like her aesthetic and persona, but Honoka I despise . I just don't get why we need 2 children like characters in DOA! Kasumi and Ayane were the "smallest" characters, but were still the same weight and height as the other girls. I can understand making 1 smaller character like Marie Rose, but Honoka just seems like a MR with huge tits ! No real effort being made to create her !

What I want from DOA6 is many things, but I just wish they would look into the small details and create a game for the FANS and what they want and need. Stop making DOA into something it isn't and care to what it was succesful at doing.

d3v

Also where is the stairs, slopes, the animals you can punch into, the chandeliers that can fall down if you do a attack into them in the ceiling. The cars that can run you over.
Because a lot of these make the game more random. That's why the stages picked for 5 had their danger zones molsty in walls, which were already a dangerous place to be in the first place, and more importantly, were all things triggered by the players. Having a match decided because a car hit a player out of nowhere doesn't exactly help the game be more competitive.

Leifang12

Because a lot of these make the game more random. That's why the stages picked for 5 had their danger zones molsty in walls, which were already a dangerous place to be in the first place, and more importantly, were all things triggered by the players. Having a match decided because a car hit a player out of nowhere doesn't exactly help the game be more competitive.

The animals in DOA2U safari stage were not that bad. Yes the dinosaurs in DOA4 and the Tiger in the other DOA4 stage was a little random, but that could still be changed. The triggered part is great, but using the animals as opticals you can punch your opponent over was a great idea. They just moved too fast. The cars always did the same thing. The moved away from the characters and you could counter the car too ! I never heard anyone complain about the cars being cheap in a tournament ! They were not random like the dinosaurs !

WAZAAAAA

The animals in DOA2U safari stage were not that bad. Yes the dinosaurs in DOA4 and the Tiger in the other DOA4 stage was a little random, but that could still be changed. The triggered part is great, but using the animals as opticals you can punch your opponent over was a great idea. They just moved too fast. The cars always did the same thing. The moved away from the characters and you could counter the car too ! I never heard anyone complain about the cars being cheap in a tournament ! They were not random like the dinosaurs !
the DOA2U Safari was nice I wish the hippopotamus was a playable character

Barrogh

I'm not quite sure what do people have against a little dash of practically designed characters/outfits in this game (Re: Mila in general and Leifang's new costume). I, for one, love them and I believe there's a certain flavour of aesthetics in apparent functionality of designs by itself.

And, of course, we're getting an influx of terrible recolors. I'm aware that some people have suggested that it's early, and that TN is simply dedicating resources to other areas instead of making a bunch of costumes. That would be a legitimate stance, except that if that were truly the case, TN would simply make one recolor of each outfit (for the 2P slot) for efficiency. Instead, they've been showing off a vast array of terrible recolors for each outfit. Doing this actually consumes time/resources, rather than conserving them.
I'm fairly sure that shaders can do the trick semi-automatically. If they are to be implemented, we will have extra recolours for every costume released for almost no cost in terms of dev's resources.

Marie Rose I kinda like, because I like her aesthetic and persona, but Honoka I despise . I just don't get why we need 2 children like characters in DOA!
I'm pretty sure Marie Rose was supposed to be a middle finger to Swedish higher-ups, whoever is in charge of such matters, for taking stance against DoA release there for supposedly having improperly portrayed under-ages. Her official age being 18 is apparently also a stab taken at that situation.
What I find weird about her is how her generally frivolous fighting style and appearance contrasts with her no-bullshit hold animations.

Not sure what Honoka was even supposed to accomplish.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD