Any tips for fighting against Rig?

Arcane

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'd like to know if anyone has some general tips for dealing with Rig? What weaknesses should I be exploiting? Or just what should my general game plan look like? He's currently one of my harder match ups in ranked and once he gets momentum, I can't seem to put a stop to him.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Rig is a tougher match up since he's a defensive pressure type character which means he can build advantage and pressure on block and hit. The best thing to do is play defensive and just watch carefully since Rigs usually like to go for his bender type stance with the rapid kicks, those high kicks can be ducked and a good deal of his moves can be stepped but since he has a throw, you're better off only stepping if you know he's not gonna throw but characters like Kasumi have certain attacks like 44P with built in sidestep that you can use to negate throws since its a strike and not like a normal sidestep(44P is weak to Offensive holds tho and you have to be en Pointe using 44P since it only evades an initial attack and rapid attacks or combos will retrack and hit her so it's best to avoid only slower or delayed attacks like his bender stance's P which is a SDS.

But don't step out of everything since he has attacks like H+K that track but from moves like that you can duck it and it's follow up high since that'll grant him like +8 advantage and the only other option is a low if he doesn't free cancel which leaves him at -11(He has 6K from that string for if he wants to nail a crouch but that move is super slow and reactable and it can be stepped). And like I said earlier, he has ways to nail you of you try to duck but his moves that are anti duck moves are pretty telegraphed so as long as you watch him closely you can narrow him down. And if you don't want to deal with him up close you can also fall back too since he's not as effective from long range even tho he has stuff like 66P and 236K when he wants to move in

Arcane

Rig is a tougher match up since he's a defensive pressure type character which means he can build advantage and pressure on block and hit. The best thing to do is play defensive and just watch carefully since Rigs usually like to go for his bender type stance with the rapid kicks, those high kicks can be ducked and a good deal of his moves can be stepped but since he has a throw, you're better off only stepping if you know he's not gonna throw but characters like Kasumi have certain attacks like 44P with built in sidestep that you can use to negate throws since its a strike and not like a normal sidestep(44P is weak to Offensive holds tho and you have to be en Pointe using 44P since it only evades an initial attack and rapid attacks or combos will retrack and hit her so it's best to avoid only slower or delayed attacks like his bender stance's P which is a SDS.

But don't step out of everything since he has attacks like H+K that track but from moves like that you can duck it and it's follow up high since that'll grant him like +8 advantage and the only other option is a low if he doesn't free cancel which leaves him at -11(He has 6K from that string for if he wants to nail a crouch but that move is super slow and reactable and it can be stepped). And like I said earlier, he has ways to nail you of you try to duck but his moves that are anti duck moves are pretty telegraphed so as long as you watch him closely you can narrow him down. And if you don't want to deal with him up close you can also fall back too since he's not as effective from long range even tho he has stuff like 66P and 236K when he wants to move in
Thanks. OK so as long as I'm careful, I should incorporate more attacks that evade or crush highs in general. That's exactly what happens: when he gets in close he starts a flurry of kicks and I'm not sure when I should be holding highs vs mid kicks. But I'll see what my high crush options are and try them out a bit more against him.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Thanks. OK so as long as I'm careful, I should incorporate more attacks that evade or crush highs in general. That's exactly what happens: when he gets in close he starts a flurry of kicks and I'm not sure when I should be holding highs vs mid kicks. But I'll see what my high crush options are and try them out a bit more against him.
Yeah once you master that it's not that annoying to fight him. I used to be scared of him but found as long you duck when you feel he's going for guard pressure and when to step and retaliate he's alot easier counter

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Don't be totally afraid to get thrown. Yeah he's got a reset and a launch, but he has some of the weakest throw damage in the game.

I tend to snatch a lot his mid kicks with holds.

Arcane

Don't be totally afraid to get thrown. Yeah he's got a reset and a launch, but he has some of the weakest throw damage in the game.

I tend to snatch a lot his mid kicks with holds.
Thanks. I will probably need to play with him in the training room so that I can better identify his mid kicks.

KING JAIMY

To add onto this, almost every high kick that leaves in him Bending Stance gives him frame advantage on block. My advice would be to crush often instead of block.

The high kicks that give him frame advantage, and can be crushed are:

K
KK
4KK
Bending KK
Bending 4KK
Bending 4H+K

Arcane

To add onto this, almost every high kick that leaves in him Bending Stance gives him frame advantage on block. My advice would be to crush often instead of block.

The high kicks that give him frame advantage, and can be crushed are:

K
KK
4KK
Bending KK
Bending 4KK
Bending 4H+K
Awesome. I really appreciate it. I will try these in training mode so that I can learn to spot them better. Next time I encounter him, I will try using more crushes once he gets in close.

ADR JaiDe N

Awesome. I really appreciate it. I will try these in training mode so that I can learn to spot them better. Next time I encounter him, I will try using more crushes once he gets in close.

If still applicable to you.

6KK is one of his essentials, it's 2 MID KICKS , all common options after leave him negative, but most people don't know the frames and just stay defensive blocking, since that's all part of RIGs gameplan, to build that pressure on you and make you think for a sec what's coming next.

But if you're familiar with what's visually coming out on screen and what to expect you should have no problem following up after he finishes his [6KK4.KKK] which is -9 on block *free throw

Also Flamingo Stance ; KK6K is -12 on block *free throw

Either crush the highs with 2P or fast mids if you posses any. Find an opening and shut down the pressure before you're in big trouble.

But just throw out high holds and see what happens, most RIGs will use those strings and moves starting/ending in highs so it's easy to catch on if you're conditioned to some of RIGs main moves and also the audio cues he makes per kick, yes every kick.

Final tip, you can stay around mid range and make him whiff his kicks, and simply duck/2P if he's far range and you think he'll likely use ; 236K to get in. It can be sidestepped also and even evaded if you move out of range before they initiate it. But you'll want to side-step or duck/2P to punish that. If it hits you, it's +9 .

GarryJaune

IMO;)Rig is a trash,I'm not lying.I played Rig since DOA5 for over 5 years and in DOA6 I changed my main into Kasumi.

When he BS: 2P basically breaks all his set-ups except a slow ass move BS 8K(24f)
When he 6KK4(TLC): mashing your gamepad gonna surprise you
When he try go into BS set-ups for pressure:8SS or 2P,almost break everything except PPK6K string,and this very string is punishable on block(maybe -13)

Rig is a spacing character,don't be afraid to him in close range,just punch him in his face lol
Rig has a bad hitbox,also bad at evading

Oh one more tip,you better not hold too much tho,cause Rig's combo damage is like a joke,but a hi counter throw can always hurt you badly(*1.6)

ADR JaiDe N

IMO;)Rig is a trash,I'm not lying.I played Rig since DOA5 for over 5 years and in DOA6 I changed my main into Kasumi.

When he BS: 2P basically breaks all his set-ups except a slow ass move BS 8K(24f)
When he 6KK4(TLC): mashing your gamepad gonna surprise you
When he try go into BS set-ups for pressure:8SS or 2P,almost break everything except PPK6K string,and this very string is punishable on block(maybe -13)

Rig is a spacing character,don't be afraid to him in close range,just punch him in his face lol
Rig has a bad hitbox,also bad at evading

Oh one more tip,you better not hold too much tho,cause Rig's combo damage is like a joke,but a hi counter throw can always hurt you badly(*1.6)
Some people say he is only deadly close-range. most RIGs have little knowledge of how to use him and just mash potatoes, so using 2P to interrupt the majority is a smart idea, but if you guess wrong , you will be punished badly by all mid kicks and TLC moves, because 2P has very short range.

RIG can fuck you up with 2H+K and can turtle/KBDash across the screen , but again, most RIGs don't take advantage of this evasive skill.

Once you get use to seeing his moves, you can get more confident to hold/counter the main bulk of his common basic high punches and kicks, but again, if you guess wrong and 1 mid punch or kick gets thru, you're kind of fucked. If they catch onto you slowing down in response to pressure, they'll just apply more by adding advance mind-fucking of lows+feints+throws and mix it all up. lucky for you that's rare to come by , at least on XBOX ONE.

Most will spam kicks and finish their strings like morons:

6KK4P
6KK4KKK

KKKK

4KK

PPPK
PPKK
PP4KKK

.ect

If you still have a hard time, just learn him yourself and see the best moves that leave him positive vs guard , so you know when you can attack or not against him.

2P is a good tool, not only against RIG.

GarryJaune

Some people say he is only deadly close-range. most RIGs have little knowledge of how to use him and just mash potatoes, so using 2P to interrupt the majority is a smart idea, but if you guess wrong , you will be punished badly by all mid kicks and TLC moves, because 2P has very short range.

RIG can fuck you up with 2H+K and can turtle/KBDash across the screen , but again, most RIGs don't take advantage of this evasive skill.

Once you get use to seeing his moves, you can get more confident to hold/counter the main bulk of his common basic high punches and kicks, but again, if you guess wrong and 1 mid punch or kick gets thru, you're kind of fucked. If they catch onto you slowing down in response to pressure, they'll just apply more by adding advance mind-fucking of lows+feints+throws and mix it all up. lucky for you that's rare to come by , at least on XBOX ONE.

Most will spam kicks and finish their strings like morons:

6KK4P
6KK4KKK

KKKK

4KK

PPPK
PPKK
PP4KKK

.ect

If you still have a hard time, just learn him yourself and see the best moves that leave him positive vs guard , so you know when you can attack or not against him.

2P is a good tool, not only against RIG.
bro I know rig well,and actually most high level players know him well too,2P interrupt is a simple example for people who do not know him like
Arcane.I'm telling him that most rig's pressure tools are easily breakable.,I don't even mention how that bullshit S system hurt him lol.

In neutral close range game,rig has big problems dealing with 9f jab characters(even eliot).In DOA5 rig had so many force-techs &reset situations&sit-down stun CB set ups,so things basically were OK in that time but now, everything changes.I don't even know how rig facing mashing-or-4S players securely lol.As a rig main I think you know how trash rig's throws are in DOA6.

IMO rig's a trash character,and I argued this in rojiiku's youtube video but he doesn't reply me,I gave 3 main rig problems that destroyed him,so I paste my opinion here,and I wanna know how you,as a rig main, feel about them.

1.Juggle damage problem.Basically no close hit in his juggle,expect 236k after 66k bouncing.Since in Doa6 the more you hit the less you get,rigs juggle damage always sucks.And he can NOT 236k CH for wall juggles after a bounce 6sh,that he losts his best tool to pressure his opponents when close to a wall.Last but not least,rigs ssss combo is one of the worst too,it requires too much juggle height,as a striker,all this are not even fair.

2,offensive pressure problem.yet rig does great in spacing,he still has good close range pressure which makes him good,but its in 5 ,now 2p and 8ss,anyone can break rigs pressure easily in doa6.People are mashing due to auto stagger escape&S system,like they don't respect anything lol cause rigs options are so limited by this,how could rig pressure opponents?

3,hitbox problem.In doa6,his hitbox feels bad,6kk,tlc kk4k,bs 6hk etc.Many of his main moves could be counter hit by a jab,this is so weired like anyone can stop him trying to offence when spacing.I can not even find a move that could hit brad wong efficiently.Rig literally can not deal with brads running p situation.

I played rig for 5 years and I give him up in Doa6,cause rig in Doa6,is so unworthy to practice,like people gonna waste much more time but there is no payback.believe me rig is a hard character,hes combos and mind sets require so much practice but he is so mediocre in Doa6,especially in high level plays.

ps:I changed my main several times in Doa6,first Diego and bass ,then Zack

,and now kasumi and hayate ,Im in PS4(id:GarryJian)and im topaz now,almost emerald,but its a shame cant play with you guys because of lag,oh and sorry for my bad English,still in learning:p

Last edited:

ADR JaiDe N

bro I know rig well,and actually most high level players know him well too,2P interrupt is a simple example for people who do not know him like
Arcane.I'm telling him that most rig's pressure tools are easily breakable.,I don't even mention how that bullshit S system hurt him lol.

In neutral close range game,rig has big problems dealing with 9f jab characters(even eliot).In DOA5 rig had so many force-techs &reset situations&sit-down stun CB set ups,so things basically were OK in that time but now, everything changes.I don't even know how rig facing mashing-or-4S players securely lol.As a rig main I think you know how trash rig's throws are in DOA6.

IMO rig's a trash character,and I argued this in rojiiku's youtube video but he doesn't reply me,I gave 3 main rig problems that destroyed him,so I paste my opinion here,and I wanna know how you,as a rig main, feel about them.

1.Juggle damage problem.Basically no close hit in his juggle,expect 236k after 66k bouncing.Since in Doa6 the more you hit the less you get,rigs juggle damage always sucks.And he can NOT 236k CH for wall juggles after a bounce 6sh,that he losts his best tool to pressure his opponents when close to a wall.Last but not least,rigs ssss combo is one of the worst too,it requires too much juggle height,as a striker,all this are not even fair.

2,offensive pressure problem.yet rig does great in spacing,he still has good close range pressure which makes him good,but its in 5 ,now 2p and 8ss,anyone can break rigs pressure easily in doa6.People are mashing due to auto stagger escape&S system,like they don't respect anything lol cause rigs options are so limited by this,how could rig pressure opponents?

3,hitbox problem.In doa6,his hitbox feels bad,6kk,tlc kk4k,bs 6hk etc.Many of his main moves could be counter hit by a jab,this is so weired like anyone can stop him trying to offence when spacing.I can not even find a move that could hit brad wong efficiently.Rig literally can not deal with brads running p situation.

I played rig for 5 years and I give him up in Doa6,cause rig in Doa6,is so unworthy to practice,like people gonna waste much more time but there is no payback.believe me rig is a hard character,hes combos and mind sets require so much practice but he is so mediocre in Doa6,especially in high level plays.

ps:I changed my main several times in Doa6,first Diego and bass ,then Zack

,and now kasumi and hayate ,Im in PS4(id:GarryJian)and im topaz now,almost emerald,but its a shame cant play with you guys because of lag,oh and sorry for my bad English,still in learning:p

1[ RiGs SSSS combo is so weak, it was created just to stylize TaeKwonDo kicks. you get multiple hits from a 1/4 S command, as a result the high volume of HITS naturally makes this a very weak combo, although it can get creative with appearance and style, but very weak any real RIG player will NOT consider to use it high-level play when you need to get damage in. It's so silly, because its such a weak S-chain, the hit box should be better for something so fast and weak right??? if it linked better to more mid launchers it MIGHT be worth using, they should consider increasing the speed per S moves for him so it will link at better rates or lower the hitbox hight. on NH his combos are 'OK' but on CH you can get damage easy. What they did to 3KK>KK4KK>PP2KK and general nature of TLC moves hurt him. but it's a different game. same cycle jumping from doa4>5>6. lots changed in the game itself.

2. It goes BOTH ways , you have the exact same problem with beginners/noobs mashing out of moves SS .ect while using RIG , it was so bad going against any noobs mashing who don't understand the game, getting free hits because they don't respect the game and just mashing, even when it's your turn and you know you should be + frames lol..

RIG applies pressure easily, but depends on the player, remember you also have noobs spamming and get lucky by getting some of his better moves from the spam just by mashing lol. Problem is you think its your turn and surely they will know to stop unsafe things, but they keep mashing and you get CH and lose a lot of health.

BnDSTance 2H+K always a nice tool, 3K2KK into mixups , 1P (haha yes I'm still using this in doa6 even though not as good) also , BnDStance 2K is simply the best, cus it's like icing on the cake, it's +17 if they guard standing normally already pressured, so you get a FREE 6K after lol... BnDStance KK will whiff after 2K , but against a wall KK will connect

3. I felt that from the demo. the range maybe was reduced , and the height was lowered. I'm still using it just fine though. Brad Wong is trash (easy for noobs to do well) lol Poor RIG, very unfair match-up.

I use RIG [still] since 2012 people hate me just for the way I use RIG but I don't even play the best I can for many reasons, but it's nice beating tryhards with 50-60% effort/energy lol. I agree he is a special character. Lots of potential still after all my time using him. I will continue to use him, even in DOA6, he's not really so bad, but more, the desperate trash you have to face online is the problem and shows his weakness more. I don't like either how RIGs walk-backwards speed was slowed so MUCH , 7>into backwards guard was reliable in doa5. here is bad.

For me, I'm still playing DOA5 online and messing with people's heads mixing kicks up. DOA6 same story, just that RIG has been given different tools and has a harder time getting the job done. I seldom play 6 at all. no one accepts ranks from a 1bar Australian. lol

GarryJaune

1[ RiGs SSSS combo is so weak, it was created just to stylize TaeKwonDo kicks. you get multiple hits from a 1/4 S command, as a result the high volume of HITS naturally makes this a very weak combo, although it can get creative with appearance and style, but very weak any real RIG player will NOT consider to use it high-level play when you need to get damage in. It's so silly, because its such a weak S-chain, the hit box should be better for something so fast and weak right??? if it linked better to more mid launchers it MIGHT be worth using, they should consider increasing the speed per S moves for him so it will link at better rates or lower the hitbox hight. on NH his combos are 'OK' but on CH you can get damage easy. What they did to 3KK>KK4KK>PP2KK and general nature of TLC moves hurt him. but it's a different game. same cycle jumping from doa4>5>6. lots changed in the game itself.

2. It goes BOTH ways , you have the exact same problem with beginners/noobs mashing out of moves SS .ect while using RIG , it was so bad going against any noobs mashing who don't understand the game, getting free hits because they don't respect the game and just mashing, even when it's your turn and you know you should be + frames lol..

RIG applies pressure easily, but depends on the player, remember you also have noobs spamming and get lucky by getting some of his better moves from the spam just by mashing lol. Problem is you think its your turn and surely they will know to stop unsafe things, but they keep mashing and you get CH and lose a lot of health.

BnDSTance 2H+K always a nice tool, 3K2KK into mixups , 1P (haha yes I'm still using this in doa6 even though not as good) also , BnDStance 2K is simply the best, cus it's like icing on the cake, it's +17 if they guard standing normally already pressured, so you get a FREE 6K after lol... BnDStance KK will whiff after 2K , but against a wall KK will connect

3. I felt that from the demo. the range maybe was reduced , and the height was lowered. I'm still using it just fine though. Brad Wong is trash (easy for noobs to do well) lol Poor RIG, very unfair match-up.

I use RIG [still] since 2012 people hate me just for the way I use RIG but I don't even play the best I can for many reasons, but it's nice beating tryhards with 50-60% effort/energy lol. I agree he is a special character. Lots of potential still after all my time using him. I will continue to use him, even in DOA6, he's not really so bad, but more, the desperate trash you have to face online is the problem and shows his weakness more. I don't like either how RIGs walk-backwards speed was slowed so MUCH , 7>into backwards guard was reliable in doa5. here is bad.

For me, I'm still playing DOA5 online and messing with people's heads mixing kicks up. DOA6 same story, just that RIG has been given different tools and has a harder time getting the job done. I seldom play 6 at all. no one accepts ranks from a 1bar Australian. lol
For brad part,bro you need to see this

LOL it could be a good sample that how high level brad players messing up the fucking game,and I can guarantee you that in Asia PSN,there are so many high level brads in online ranking which annoying as fuck lol,and Rig can not deal with the character at all.

And for SSSS part,Rig's SSSS is trash because all these moves are HIGH,he can't hit juggling opponents due to high hitbox.BUT SSSS IS A CRITICAL TOOL IN JUGGLE,due to the lower damage balance.In DOA6,what Rig's 426T can do best when close to a wall is 426T TLC8P K·SSSS(70 dmg).Rig's wall bounce combo should have been SSSS but he can't do so,that's why I think this is unfair to him.

Arcane

BTW, thanks for all the responses. For some reason I was not getting notifications for this thread. After incorporating more 2P interrupts as well as getting more comfortable holding against his attacks, I've been having much better success. I won't call it easy, but definitely more manageable. I've also been spacing myself more just to avoid being in the blender as much as possible. I appreciate the responses.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD