DOA5LR Ayane General Gameplay Discussion

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
You're not telling anyone exactly why you think 66KK4 should jail, other than wanting an easily abusive tool for approach.

I tell everyone this that wants to play this character; if you HAVE to rely on 66KK4 as your primary approach, then you're going to get beat easily, and it's a fact. Everyone that fights this character expects this string on approach and seasoned players are ready to punish it. It is not meant for approach nor is it Ayane's best approach tool.

(only reason why I've done in high level play was for two reasons; to see how well someone reacts to it, and to further prove how terrible it is because majority pick things up from me and my play). The more you rely on this tool this way, the more you'll struggle.

It is a pressure tool (in threshold and on block conditioning). You can use it to close distance but it's use is small and sparingly for that because people expect it.

I tell you this all the time and you keep refusing otherwise, lol.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
66KK4 is one of those moves that if you do it without meaning to it'll fuck you up so bad if it's blocked and your opponent will just laugh and smack you with a boulder like what Hajin does to me whenever I throw it out

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Having 66KK4 blocked is a good thing, it's +1, I just know how to deal with the options because most only opt for most obvious.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
I miss Ayane's old PPPKK lmfao. Also, I think her 4P+K should launch as high as it does on threshold (is that even the proper term omg) after a CB for LR. It's a nice launcher and I don't really understand why it grants such a disappointing launch after a CB???? Ayane's BTPPPP / 4P+K should guard break as well. :T

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
4P+K does that at level 3 threshold and Critical Burst because it is a natural combo (2 in 1). It actually isn't a single strike.

The reason BTPPPP no longer guard breaks is due to the fact that it has a short string variation, BT4P+KP. Both variations produce a strong stun (gut stun), in exchange it it's unsafe on block for having access to such a strong stun. That's the balance.

BTPPPP was a guard break in Vanilla because there was no BT4P+KP.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I miss Ayane's old PPPKK lmfao. Also, I think her 4P+K should launch as high as it does on threshold (is that even the proper term omg) after a CB for LR. It's a nice launcher and I don't really understand why it grants such a disappointing launch after a CB???? Ayane's BTPPPP / 4P+K should guard break as well. :T

I actually find that one of the most annoying things about 4P+K is that its launch gets "stifled" if used on Critical Level 3 Stun because only the second hit fully launches (such as if you whiff the first hit, the 2nd one will give you the super high launch on level 3). 4P+K is still a strong launcher but is pretty much just reduced to Critical Level 1 or 2 for a solid launch. It also doesn't give a very good launch on NH. The other FT Mid P launcher, 4P, also grants pretty much the same low launch on all 3 critical levels.

On the bright side, H+K's an amazing launcher on any critical stun level. As for CB's, Ayane has quite a bit of choices for launchers with BT4K launching the highest. For FT, H+K's a good go to launcher. BT3P is good in corners. Also, against Middleweights, BT6P grants slightly more damage than H+K at the expense of a slightly lower launch height (though you can hit the same bnb juggles for the most part in open space).

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
4P+K hits lower in Critical level 3 and after Critical burst because it's a natural combo launch, it's not a single hit launcher. The first hit of 4P+K is 12 damage, the second is 16. Critical Stun Threshold damage is 28 at max, and 35 max for counter hit.

12+16 = 28

Damage on strikes are reduced by 50% in the Critical Stun Threshold.

6+8 = 14.

4P+K CAN actually launch high as long as the first strike of 4P+K is the next and last strike to reach Critical level 3 stun.

Having 4P+K launch higher on a normal basis would mean lowering the damage on 4P+K itself, which also lowers any damage after launch. That's not a good idea, lol.

All of her other launchers do not have this problem because they are single hit launchers. 4P+K's launch height on neutral hit is perfect as it is, that also even allows it to act as a good whiff punishment tool for quick 56 damage. Not a lot of characters can even do that for neutral hit launch. Couple that with the fact that juggling with a BTPP6P~K can easily send the opponent flying towards the environment for a potental 10-20+ easily racks up to 66 or more.

4P+K is just fine as is and is completely balanced. It doesn't need any changing.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yeah I know that 4P+K is 2-in-1, that's why it launches so high from Critical Level 1 stun or a single-stun then launch, because the 1st hit adds additional critical damage to the threshold, essentially augmenting the launch. And yeah, the 1st hit can exceed the threshold, thus stifling the launch. I still think 4P+K is a strong launcher in general, but it is kinda sucky that you can't use it on Critical level 3 along with 4P not launching very high on Critical Level 3 either. It's no biggie though since Ayane has so many launchers at her disposal in general (though of course utilizing them is dependent on whether you're in FT or BT).

I will say that 4P+K is nice as a CH launcher for opponents that run in on her.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
4P actually launches high enough for you free cancel to do a juggle while facing forward, from Critical level 2 and Critical level 3. I do that all the time.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Something I do want changed though, is 9P. It's a jumping mid that doesn't evade lows, it should be evading lows.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yeah, I know what you mean dude. It's a good example of the irritating flaws with DOA5U's shitty low crush properties. IMHO, Jumping attacks or characters in an "Airstate" should NEVER EVER get hit out of the air by a low. It doesn't happen in any other 3D fighter. Just in DOA and it's annoying as shit >.<.

But yes, 9P should low crush.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Ooo... I just remembered, when I popped in Vanilla without the day 1 patch, Ayane's 66KK4 used to have her snap into BT position lmfao. Imagine if Team Ninja fucked up and brought it back. :oops:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD