DOA5U Ayane Video Thread

Toi Stori

Greetings to you :)! Welcome to FSD! If you have a Youtube account, you can copy and paste the URL into a Post Reply here and the video should automatically appear!
Thank you! And thanks for the info. Last question. How exactly do I get the video to YouTube from the game? I can watch my fights all day, but I don't see any option to upload to YouTube or Facebook. Only thing I see is the upload to leaderboards option, but it's saying my rank isn't high enough. Sorry I'm not the best with technology sometimes lol

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Thank you! And thanks for the info. Last question. How exactly do I get the video to YouTube from the game? I can watch my fights all day, but I don't see any option to upload to YouTube or Facebook. Only thing I see is the upload to leaderboards option, but it's saying my rank isn't high enough. Sorry I'm not the best with technology sometimes lol
If you're on PS4, you can use the SHARE function to upload to Youtube by selecting the video you want uploaded then choosing to post it to Youtube (videos can be trimmed too with the SHARE feature). Videos come out in decent 720p quality too.

If you're on PS3, you'll have to use the "Upload to Youtube" feature from the Fight Viewer section of Extras. I'm not sure how to upload to Facebook, but I hear that the ability to upload to both will become limited in the future. Other than that, you're going to need a capture card.

Toi Stori

If you're on PS4, you can use the SHARE function to upload to Youtube by selecting the video you want uploaded then choosing to post it to Youtube (videos can be trimmed too with the SHARE feature). Videos come out in decent 720p quality too.

If you're on PS3, you'll have to use the "Upload to Youtube" feature from the Fight Viewer section of Extras. I'm not sure how to upload to Facebook, but I hear that the ability to upload to both will become limited in the future. Other than that, you're going to need a capture card.
Man Xbox would get left out of the loop. Alrighty. Guess I'll have to bootleg it until I can figure out what a capture card is or where to even get one lol

Toi Stori

Hey guys I'm back. Ended up buying a capture card (thanks force!) and captured some of my gameplay. My play is pretty weak lol. I'm also still trying to get used to the stickiness/input delay of online play. Any help for improvement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@Toi Stori One of the biggest things I need to point out here, is that excessive use of fullscreen 66KK4 to move forward. Every set I see it whiffing and going unpunished. No one in the videos are punishing you for it so you're developing a habit that will actually hurt you once you start playing better players. A lot of players online in general actually do not react with a crouch or fuzzy guard and punish it in neutral. So a lot of players get away with it. But it really is a bad habit that you need to kick.

It's +1 on block, sure, but that frame advantage is there if your mix up just happens to get blocked, not really as a way to approach the opponent. That strategy died in DOA5 Vanilla as soon as 66KK4 lost it's stronger block stun that didn't allow players to crouch it.

BT3 is a much better way for Ayane to approach if she really needs to, because it threatens the opponent with a low sweep low-hitting string and a mid that launches on neutral hit. Also recovers extremely fast and gives you access to front turn and back turn stances to mix up your buttons. You can also just use BT3K as an actual low poke, it'll force opponents to block low or find a way to deal with it. Lets you bait and punish because of that fact.

If I could actually play comfortably with Xbox One's dpad, I'd offer to play you so you can understand what I mean. But I can barely move around with that thing.

Another thing, I want you to give up on using 4H+K at a range during the neutral game. Trade that for 3H+K, it is a much stronger and safer tool than 4H+K will ever be. It's i4 frames faster (3H+K is i19, 4H+K is i23), has much better recovery, safe on block at -3, much MUCH better reward on hit than 4H+K (you always get the bound hit with 3H+K, which doesn't give the opponent an opportunity for a defensive option at all. Following up with something will also always give you good positioning too). 3H+K will allow you to control space better once you get better at using it.

3H+K and BT6K are an actual mix up when controlling space and they flow well with one another too.

This is pretty much what I'd suggest you work on for now.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
@Toi Stori One of the biggest things I need to point out here, is that excessive use of fullscreen 66KK4 to move forward.
Another thing, I want you to give up on using 4H+K at a range during the neutral game. Trade that for 3H+K, it is a much stronger and safer tool than 4H+K will ever be.

That's the first thing I noticed when I watched his videos actually lol. He did get punished a few times for misplacing 66KK4 on the screen in the earlier vids, but yes Ayane can get punished pretty hard if an opponent anticipates a 66KK4 from neutral. The 4H+Ks did go unpunished and can be just as much a liability for getting blown up as 66KK4 by a stalwart opponent.

Utilizing BT strings like BTPP~etc. may help diversify his approach too. Other than that I reckon that he's on the right track and love seeing little improvements here or there.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Right, I can mention a lot of other things to use to approach with. Only mentioned BT3 because it is a much better alternative as opposed to 66KK4 (and just really good to do in general). These days I'm trying to put a focus on a few things for players, rather than a bunch. It's too much information for people to handle at once some times.

Being on the other end of the stick learning Zero Suit Samus in Smash 4 and learning Smash 4 told me this.

Funny enough, I played a Helena player earlier today, and he would low hold so much whenever I would do naked BT3's. That fear, I love Ayane so much lol.

Last edited:

Toi Stori

Hey @Force_of_Nature n @iHajinShinobi, got some more sets for critique. I'm really trying to limit my usage of 66KK4 on approach, it feels so awkward lol. Once you establish a bad habit its really hard to break it. Same with 4H+K. But it's definitely getting better.

I have some really bad input errors in these sets btw XD

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Alright, finally got some time give feedback @Toi Stori. My apologies on taking awhile.

It's good to see you are trying to lessen your approach usage of 66KK4, that's improvement. The less you use it that way, the better it will be when you surprise someone with it every blue moon. Other than that and outside of juggles, 66KKK as a string is stronger as a mix up tool.

Your PP6K2K on block usage seems pretty excessive though, you want to learn to lessen on it and learn to delay your follow ups after PP in general. PP delay/free cancel is good with this character in general because it can make the opponent hesitate into some silly decision making once they don't know what to expect after blocking PP/BTPP.

Are you delay into string follow ups?

Are your string follow ups going to be delayed? Free cancelled?

Are you going to throw?

Going to 7P away? 1P+K away? Free cancel into Jab/PP again? Free cancel into 2P?

Possibilities are pretty widespread.

If you have to rely on the PP6K2K string a lot on a blocking opponent, it'll make you easier to play against with better players. Makes you predictable.

3H+K > 4H+K, always. I've told a lot of players that. 4H+K is a big risk, it's terrible if it whiffs, terrible on block (-17 means you get punished really hard). It's not a spacing tool, it shines in Critical Stun Threshold and as a wall slam. During footsies/spacing it is abysmal.

3H+K is four frames faster at i19, much safer at -3, lets you control hittable space, keep the opponent, let's you approach, and is a long range poke. Provided your spacing is correct with it's usage (and that matters with anything being used at a range in general). And it is very good in Critical Stun Threshold because it's always a bound stun leading into guaranteed damage. Good wall slam as well.

Your use of BT3 and BT3K are good, that is definitely one of Ayane's best ways to approach in general. With the low from BT3 being able to serve as everything 3H+K is. To top it off, BT3K leads into a low hitting string, which has to be held on hit confirm. Once that low hits, you have all of the momentum in your favor now. If they hold, you can low throw them, if they don't hold, you're at +7. If they don't hold anything at all, then BT3KKK will hit for 49/60 (neutral hit and counter hit) plus any additional damage if you happen to get environmental hazard (wall, any kind of object, dangerzones, etc).

Summary;

Lessen up on PP6K2K, excessive use makes you predictable and easy to deal with against good players. And people that adapt to that.

Don't challenge characters with faster mids than yours, mid for mid. You have jab and 5K for that. Against i9 frame jab characters, you have block, hold, 8K, 1P, 4P, 2P to fight the i9 jab.

When blocking and you're unsure of what the opponent will do, do not opt for 4P as a panic button. 4P gets blocked, you get counter hit/punished by moves that will crush your high or a simple 2P low will blow up the move on block.

Practice whiff punishment, it's essential to this character in getting her damage (and is good to do in general). 4K is great for hitting whiffed moves, sitdown stun into a launch will net you 60+ every time. Drill kick also works wonders for punishing whiffed buttons. 3H+K, 1P+K K, BT4K, BT6P, and 3P as well.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Hey @Force_of_Nature n @iHajinShinobi, got some more sets for critique. I'm really trying to limit my usage of 66KK4 on approach, it feels so awkward lol. Once you establish a bad habit its really hard to break it. Same with 4H+K. But it's definitely getting better.

I have some really bad input errors in these sets btw XD

By and large I'd say you're doing really well now @Toi Stori. iHajin covered pretty much the gist on what to work on. My primary suggestion would be to substitute BT4K for either BT6K or BT4H+K. BT4K is great when it connects but not so great if it doesn't or is blocked. BT6K & BT4H+K have better risk/reward's to them due to them being safer to use. If you connect 4K on NH, such as a whiff punish, perform 4K~4P~BTPP6P-K for reliable damage. If 4K connects in close range, you can connect 4K~4P+K for a higher launch juggle. If the opponent somehow manages to slow escape 4K, you can still hit 6P3 for a decent stun mix-up. If you connect PK or BTH+K for a wall slam, BTPP4PP7K will generally connect for a juggle.

Other then that, you're definitely on the right track and think you're doing great now!

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
BT 4H+K is actually fine to have blocked since the space it provides from it's pushback leaves you in a distance safe spot.

P > BT 4H+K is great on block, for example, because 4H+K is an actual high crush and it gets you away from the opponent.

Basically anything this move is blocked, it forces the opponent to move forward (much like 3H+K does). You want that to happen.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
BT 4H+K is actually fine to have blocked since the space it provides from it's pushback leaves you in a distance safe spot.

P > BT 4H+K is great on block, for example, because 4H+K is an actual high crush and it gets you away from the opponent.

Basically anything this move is blocked, it forces the opponent to move forward (much like 3H+K does). You want that to happen.
Err... That's what I was suggesting lol. With his playstyle, substituting BT4K with BT4H+K would be more ideal since BT4K can usually get blown up worse when misused. The safety on block is a big reason I like BT4H+K along with its other benefits.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD