DARK SOULS

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Of course I don't, but there are people who do.

Some people buy cars for the sole reason of slamming their dong in the car door every morning. Doesn't mean they are using it correctly.

It's also fun to feel like you have accomplished something at the end of the game. I just sit on a fucking stone chair like "hurr durr I beat the easiest boss ever."

I know you didn't just talk shit about possibly the greatest ending ever.

Clearly, the entire game was paying homage to Streets of Rage. Y'all just didn't see it cause you were too busy thinking about Dark Souls 1 to see the connection. Need to work on those interpretation skills.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
That first pyromancy would be hilariously broken on the arena bridge.

That's some SNK bossmode shit.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Really wish there was an easier way of getting rid of sinning levels so I didn't get invaded by blue phantoms every three minutes without being offline. Hell, being in the Blue Sentinels/Bell Keepers should prevent that from happening but NOOOO.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
@Brute A while ago you wanted Poise damaging things? The Stone Ring is good for that. Drops from the first giant troll thing in Things Betwixt outside the Fire Keepers house. You probably have it by now but hey, better late than never.

Brute

Standard Donor
@Brute A while ago you wanted Poise damaging things? The Stone Ring is good for that. Drops from the first giant troll thing in Things Betwixt outside the Fire Keepers house. You probably have it by now but hey, better late than never.
I actually have both the regular and +1 versions.

Neither was causing substantial staggers to the drakekeepers, though.

Pictured Mind

I don't know what up with poise in DS2 in general. In DS it was straight up and now it's confuzzling as fuck.

Whenever I play PvP and there's a dude afk, he always gets stunned no matter what. Even if he's wearing full Havel.

RoboJoe

I don't know what up with poise in DS2 in general. In DS it was straight up and now it's confuzzling as fuck.

Whenever I play PvP and there's a dude afk, he always gets stunned no matter what. Even if he's wearing full Havel.

In PvP poise works when you're swinging your weapon. For example, You use the great club's 2hR2 and your opponent flails wildly at you with his dagger. With high enough poise you'll shrug off his dagger hits while you splatter his brains on the floor with your great club. Using this technique, I poise through 1handed greatsword attacks with the Steel set quite often. Of course, 2handing a weapon increases its poise damage by a lot, so watch out for that. None of this applies for PvE by the way.

In short, poise gives you hyper armor.

RoboJoe

How convenient.

For PvE poise works like Dark Souls 1, except all enemies deal massive poise damage to you and have either no poise or ridiculous amounts of poise up to and including infinite poise.

In short, it's fucked. Rule of thumb is use stone ring, two hand your weapon and hit them twice. That will stun pretty much everything except bosses for the majority of weapons.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Um... not exactly. It's kind of like an invisible stamina bar that depletes as you get smacked around. When you get hit (not necessarily while using a weapon, you can just be standing around) it depletes itself. If you can still run around then you can take another X number of hits until it is depleted. If the poise value drops below what your equipment and stats have set you become staggered. Certain weapon types will deal certain amounts of poise damage (naturally strength weapons are best at this alongside more powerful spells) and they deal flat amounts per swing.

If a PvE enemy is staggering you and you have a heavy armor set/high poise it's probably because they either swing fast multiple times or only a couple times with a heavier weapon or are in the group of poise ignoring assholes.

Saying it is irrelevant to PvE is wrong, it is more a prevalent thing to think about in PvP but not irrelevant to PvE.

RoboJoe

Um... not exactly. It's kind of like an invisible stamina bar that depletes as you get smacked around. When you get hit (not necessarily while using a weapon, you can just be standing around) it depletes itself. If you can still run around then you can take another X number of hits until it is depleted. If the poise value drops below what your equipment and stats have set you become staggered. Certain weapon types will deal certain amounts of poise damage (naturally strength weapons are best at this alongside more powerful spells) and they deal flat amounts per swing.

If a PvE enemy is staggering you and you have a heavy armor set/high poise it's probably because they either swing fast multiple times or only a couple times with a heavier weapon or are in the group of poise ignoring assholes.

Saying it is irrelevant to PvE is wrong, it is more a prevalent thing to think about in PvP but not irrelevant to PvE.

I can't tell if the poise bar is still there in dks2, since daggers still poise break heavy armor so if it's there, it's still broken. What I do know is that hyper armor seems to have been added back to dks2 and seems to be dependent on your poise rather than be limited to heavy weapons. That's the only reliable PvP poise system. I take back what I said about hyper armor being irrelevant in PvE since I tested it and it worked. Anyway, like I mentioned, PvE does seem to have actual poise working properly to some extent which is why I said it's like dks1.

EDIT: for reference, in my previous post I was saying hyper armor was irrelevant to pve, not poise. I was wrong anyway, but I just wanted to clear that up.

PuertoRicanStyL

Alright. So I'm playing DS1. I'm at the beginning (pretty much) in the Undead Burg, and I'm at level 20. Are my only two options really to go up and fight that Taru Demon thing, and/or to go down and fight that bad ass dude with the huge club that one hit ko's me even when I'm blocking, lol?

I think I can beat that huge demon thing since his attacks are pretty slow, so I can ninja roll em. But there's a dude sniping me with arrows during that fight. Now that I think about it. I'll just have to fight him on the far side away from that sniper.

I want to kill that gnarly dude at the bottom of the spiral case. But I think you're supposed to come back and fight him later.?? I only fought him once, and luckily baited him to follow me for a bit so I could get mah souls back. But dam..

PuertoRicanStyL

lol.

Came back to say, never mind bout them arrow snipers. I just discovered a ladder that goes up to em that I can climb before activating the boss fight.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Alright. So I'm playing DS1. I'm at the beginning (pretty much) in the Undead Burg, and I'm at level 20. Are my only two options really to go up and fight that Taru Demon thing, and/or to go down and fight that bad ass dude with the huge club that one hit ko's me even when I'm blocking, lol?

I think I can beat that huge demon thing since his attacks are pretty slow, so I can ninja roll em. But there's a dude sniping me with arrows during that fight. Now that I think about it. I'll just have to fight him on the far side away from that sniper.

I want to kill that gnarly dude at the bottom of the spiral case. But I think you're supposed to come back and fight him later.?? I only fought him once, and luckily baited him to follow me for a bit so I could get mah souls back. But dam..

I remember going through all the same mental motions as you when I was playing for the first time. Man, nostalgia.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD