Characters Do you miss the anime-styled pre-DOA5 games had?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Speaking of 4, Hayate looked pretty bad in 4. :/

472875304.jpg

Last edited:

Boogie

no, i hated the anime look because i felt it cheapened the game. like DoA was screaming to be taken seriously but here you have outrageous boob mechanics, water noodle hair and these characters looking like bad china knock off anime figurines. im glad DoA 6 seems more bright and colorful then DoA5 cause i didn't agree with the gritty wanna be street tone (i can never get over how horrible that rap song that plays at the menu is) but i appreciate the more realistic tone

Raansu

This is 2U
View attachment 25325

This is 4
View attachment 25326

Hardly anything has changed besides the environments being more photo realistic. If you're talking about stages then yes it greatly improved but character models have hardly changed bar minor changes on the models and lighting. It looks virtually the same, as I'm sure most players can attest too besides the stages and minor model changes like the hair physics and body model changes like Ein had

You're seriously going to sit there and say with that muddied background and flat textures in the 2U pick that hardly anything changed? Itagaki had a style with the characters, but you're crazy if you think there is not a significant difference in those 2 shots you just showed, even if you're just trying to focus on the character itself (which is stupid to do, but even then there's a significant difference, just for the fact that the character model is a way poly count)

euphoria

As somebody who prefers realism, I’m glad for the gradual move away from the anime style looks. Fighting games are often a touch ridiculous, but I love the look of the characters now. In fact, I think they can make the faces even more realistic (the eyes are still a little too big).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
You're seriously going to sit there and say with that muddied background and flat textures in the 2U pick that hardly anything changed? Itagaki had a style with the characters, but you're crazy if you think there is not a significant difference in those 2 shots you just showed, even if you're just trying to focus on the character itself (which is stupid to do, but even then there's a significant difference, just for the fact that the character model is a way poly count)
Poly count is irrelevant if the game literally looks the same, Kasumi literally looks the same besides lighting and her hair being minimally changed. But I'm not discussing this anymore, aren't you that same guy that didnt want to accept that Marie Rose wasn't all that great and was average/slightly below average?

What's crazy is you and whomever else not accepting that I feel imo that DOA was not greatly improved until DOA5, the jump from DOA2 to DOA3 is an example of a major improvement. Afterwards the changes to the character models was minimal, regardless of poly count and whatever else was HDed. And you obviously did not read my statement, the environments wet upscaled in DOA4 since the stages were more photorealistic and higher def than 2U where the stages were more muddled

Raansu

What? No....Marie Rose is a strong character.

Of course Kasumi is going to look the same. Is she supposed to suddenly look like a different character? You're 100% blind if you don't see the significant jump in graphics between 2U and 4.

Bacaww

Poly count is irrelevant if the game literally looks the same, Kasumi literally looks the same besides lighting and her hair being minimally changed. But I'm not discussing this anymore, aren't you that same guy that didnt want to accept that Marie Rose wasn't all that great and was average/slightly below average?

What's crazy is you and whomever else not accepting that I feel imo that DOA was not greatly improved until DOA5, the jump from DOA2 to DOA3 is an example of a major improvement. Afterwards the changes to the character models was minimal, regardless of poly count and whatever else was HDed. And you obviously did not read my statement, the environments wet upscaled in DOA4 since the stages were more photorealistic and higher def than 2U where the stages were more muddled
Marie is a strong character, did you even look at the character's capabilties instead of just using your misguided experience (implying that you are probaly not even that good with her) as an argument for why we all should accept Marie is apparently below average?

Also if you compare how the characters looked in all the installments there is a huge difference between all of them, these characters did not just receive some extra flashy lightning effects.

Jadeinchains

Personally no, I had no problem with the anime look of the pre doa5 games and I thought it still looked already but I absolutely like the look of doa5 so much more and I'm happy that doa6 is continuing with doa5's art style.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Marie is a strong character, did you even look at the character's capabilties instead of just using your misguided experience (implying that you are probaly not even that good with her) as an argument for why we all should accept Marie is apparently below average?

Also if you compare how the characters looked in all the installments there is a huge difference between all of them, these characters did not just receive some extra flashy lightning effects.
It's not misguided, it was based off of my personal opinion about her as well as what others have discussed about her in the past, rather than your blatant character bias, I play Marie as well and I AM good with her, I've used her since she was released in 2014. And if you're gonna continue to be rude to me, refrain from talking to me. You will not treat me as if I'm beneath you, I'm tired of that

As I've said already before, the changes weren't that major, the biggest major changes was from DOA2 to DOA3. After that the changes just seemed minor besides a few touch ups

JJdude

I do kind of miss it. It would be cool if there was a retro skin option in the latest game. Just for Nostalgia purposes.

JJdude

I think a rerelease of one of the older games would be a better tribute to the old style. Stage remakes are the most likely way they would be referencing the older games.
Kind of wondered why they didn't do so? You know re releasing the first 3 games, or HD version of DOA3 and 4?

Bacaww

It's not misguided, it was based off of my personal opinion about her as well as what others have discussed about her in the past, rather than your blatant character bias, I play Marie as well and I AM good with her, I've used her since she was released in 2014. And if you're gonna continue to be rude to me, refrain from talking to me. You will not treat me as if I'm beneath you, I'm tired of that

As I've said already before, the changes weren't that major, the biggest major changes was from DOA2 to DOA3. After that the changes just seemed minor besides a few touch ups

Hon, if you were any good with her you wouldn't call her an average/below average character. And just for the record, I have been maining Marie and hard grinding with her since 2015. But let's just leave this as it is, you seem adamant to force down everyone's throat that your opinion is right and anyone else's is automatically wrong. And how am I being rude? I can assume you weren't that good with Marie when you keep saying how she is average/below and personal experience plays a huge role in your argument (instead of character capabilities) if that came off as rude then I'm sorry I guess

Last edited:

Juihau

That is the case, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Each game after DOA2 introduced new, improved models with updated polygon count and updated textures and shaders. Similarly to DOA5-DOA6 the models look the same at a first glance, because they share the same stylistic, but if you look closer and compare the polygon structures and textures you can clearly see the difference. The jump in quality from Kasumi in her classic blue garb in DOA3 to Kasumi in her classic blue garb in DOA2U was immense.

maxresdefault.jpg

f839faa1792c765940c60319340ea81e.jpg

They look the same on the surface, same costume, same stylistic, but the models were still different and greatly improved each iteration.
The models weren't that "greatly" improved nor that different but whatever XD

DOA3 and DOA4 did have some technical feats I liked tho like they had relflections in the waters and flooring but idk if that's possible with DOA6, DOA5LR couldn't do that since that would mean constant adding of data and other stuff to reflect all the 500+ outfits and hairstyles and that sounds pretty intimidating from a development stand point
I'm kind of confused by the idea that these somehow look the same, too... Even if you don't believe that the models were remade from scratch each time, it's pretty obvious that Kasumi's outfit was redesigned. In 2U, it was made much less bulky, the opening was pulled down to show more cleavage, the pattern on her loincloth was changed so that the phoenix (it's supposed to be a phoenix, right? it looks like a swan to me) is higher up than before... Also, her sword actually resembles a sword in its sheath, as opposed to a hunk of plastic with sword-like bits painted on.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm kind of confused by the idea that these somehow look the same, too... Even if you don't believe that the models were remade from scratch each time, it's pretty obvious that Kasumi's outfit was redesigned. In 2U, it was made much less bulky, the opening was pulled down to show more cleavage, the pattern on her loincloth was changed so that the phoenix (it's supposed to be a phoenix, right? it looks like a swan to me) is higher up than before... Also, her sword actually resembles a sword in its sheath, as opposed to a hunk of plastic with sword-like bits painted on.
Ok so maybe their outfits were upscaled and the swords too to make it HD, but I'm saying besides that the models weren't all that improved. When something is greatly improved, it's easy to notice, you guys are looking at fine details to try to make it seem like my opinion is an abomination or something xD
Hon, if you were any good with her you wouldn't call her an average/below average character. And just for the record, I have been maining Marie and hard grinding with her since 2015. But let's just leave this as it is, you seem adamant to force down everyone's throat that your opinion is right and anyone else's is automatically wrong. And how am I being rude? I can assume you weren't that good with Marie when you keep saying how she is average/below and personal experience plays a huge role in your argument (instead of character capabilities) if that came off as rude then I'm sorry I guess
Sis, other people think she's mid tier so get that straight. And idgaf how long you been using Marie, just because you been "hard grinding" with her don't make my opinion any less than yours. And I WAS going by capabilities, I was also weighing in her drawbacks as well. Naotora can do alot but she's one of the worst and I can admit that even as somone who likes and uses her, you and whomever that other guy is refuse to accept my justified opinion because of character bias, if anything you guys are trying to force your opinion of her on me

And I'm not tryna force my opinion under any of you guys throats, I stated my opinion and now you guys are just tryna jump me acting like I'm wrong all because im not sugarcoating anything and saying what you guys want. And you are being rude, you're making false assumptions about me, belittling my Marie Rose knowledge as if your opinion is more important than mine, and overall implying that I'm not a good player which i refrain from accepting. All I'm saying is talk to me nice or don't talk to me twice, I'm over all this rude crap. I've been trying to be nice but you just sitting there acting as if I'm beneath you and I'm over that mentality and this argument

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

@KasumiLover69
I'm sorry but different models built from scratch with different polygons, different textures et al are not opinions. If a model is different then it's a fact. An opinion would be saying that despite models changing everytime and bgs getting more impressive and detailed, the graphics did not feel like they were improved because the artstyle stayed the same and still looked samey.

As I've said countless times before I prefer the artstyle now, but it's silly to keep butting your head over and over saying the graphics had the same models and no technical improvement. What stayed the same is the artstyle and you are, imo, correct to say that the change in 5 was a huge step forward. In fact I don't think anyone is denying that, it's a very common opinion.
What people are frustrated with is you claiming the game had the same models since 2 and that there was no real step forward until 5 (and even you backpedaled hard on this after having been shown screenshots). That is a pretty wild claim and you shouldn't be surprised if many users have objected it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD