Characters Do you miss the anime-styled pre-DOA5 games had?

Sotherius

The only possible problem, is that to me it seems the jann, hayate, ryu and zack are sharing the same body model and the same for kasumi and helena, but i might be wrong.

About the anime arstyle, i really like how it looks in DOA 2 U, and in DOA D, but the character faces in DOA 4 always felt weird to me, i like the way doa 5 and now DOA 6 is handling the artstyle of the characters.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The only possible problem, is that to me it seems the jann, hayate, ryu and zack are sharing the same body model and the same for kasumi and helena, but i might be wrong.

I'm afraid that seems to be the case, at least for Jann Lee and Zack. Like DOA5 they seem to reuse the same body models for all male characters, only slightly adjusted for slimmer characters like Eliot or heavier characters like Bayman and Bass. They will have to rework the base model though, because it is missing a belly button. Zack's should be visible, it is in DOA5 in the same costume. It isn't as apparent that it is missing (I think I am the only one ever mentioning it) here because of his dark skin. In other circumstances it would be very apparent and very weird though for male characters not having a belly button.

As for Helena and Kasumi we simply can't tell yet because Kasumi is fully suited up. But I guess this will be similar here as well. The same base model just slightly adjusted. Some have bigger breasts, some bigger butts, some a slimmer waist. And then there are Marie Rose and Honoka, lol.

Macca Beam

2U and 4 had the same faces. only the lighting, polycount and texture resolution changed
Dimensions was different from the others, however. shame that 5 happened right as they made some actual upgrades to the old style

(also the worst of the older games in both design and tone was 3; everything was off. too bad the guy behind that is now in charge of the series rofl)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
2U and 4 had the same faces. only the lighting, polycount and texture resolution changed
Dimensions was different from the others, however. shame that 5 happened right as they made some actual upgrades to the old style

(also the worst of the older games in both design and tone was 3; everything was off. too bad the guy behind that is now in charge of the series rofl)
Dimensions wasn't different, it used a scaled down version of the characters from how they looked in 2U or 4, I know this for a fact since Kasumi and practically everyone else uses their 2U hair models, and Ein and Jann Lee use their DOA4 models but they had their muscle definition downgraded. Anyone added in DOA4 tho they scaled down their models from that game, but I know they tied Kokoros hair in that yellow low ribbon since the 3DS couldn't handle the DOA4 hair physics, and Helena had her hair length gimped.

And the only upgrades Dimensions really did to the old style was showing emotion, Dimensions did a really good job making the characters way more expressive imo, if you compare for example the final cutscene between Helena and Christie from DOA4 in Dimensions, they did a much better job showing how Helena really reacted

Juihau

Dimensions wasn't different, it used a scaled down version of the characters from how they looked in 2U or 4
Incorrect! Dimensions actually had traces of the new art style that DoA5 would bring about. The most noticeable example of this is Hayabusa, who took on his generally-disliked, more rugged appearance a year before Ninja Gaiden 3, the game most people give crap for ruining his face.

46c7414ebc.png

Other examples are less glaringly obvious than Hayabusa, but just glancing, Brad's face also seems closer to his DoA5 appearance than 4, and Jann Lee just looks...really bad... But yeah.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Incorrect! Dimensions actually had traces of the new art style that DoA5 would bring about. The most noticeable example of this is Hayabusa, who took on his generally-disliked, more rugged appearance a year before Ninja Gaiden 3, the game most people give crap for ruining his face.

46c7414ebc.png

Other examples are less glaringly obvious than Hayabusa, but just glancing, Brad's face also seems closer to his DoA5 appearance than 4, and Jann Lee just looks...really bad... But yeah.
It's not actually XD I own the Dimensions game and they kept alot of the faces the same, only giving slight updates here and there. and yeah for Hayabusa they updated his appearance from DOA4 and even gave him a new hair model since I don't recall his hair ever looking like that, even in DOA3, but he looks nothing like that in DOA5. Some characters did have their faces updated as well, like Eliot had a new face and hair model(Tries to maintain composure)
elliot-screen.jpg

DOAD_Eliot_Profile.png

Idk about Jann Lee(Who I find to be a hot fucker) and Tengu and Raidou also looked different from how they did intentionally, which leads me to believe they just updated some characters here and there so they wouldn't look strange on the 3DS. Art style wise in general, the only thing they really used in DOA5 was the emotions they implemented in Dimensions

Hayabusiness

A lot of guys just looked different in that game, Eliot being the most glaring example. Which brings me to think the models are probably new again or heavily modified to work on the weaker hardware.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
They're not new, they're just downgraded to be able to be used on the 3DS since its not strong enough system wise to handle the Xbox 360 models or original Xbox models depending on which character it is

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Some people seem to think there is a magical downgrade button and, voilà, a former high polygon and high resolution textured character model with advanced skeletal animation is suddenly fit for significantly weaker hardware (like the 3DS) and after that they look and work perfectly fine. It doesn't work like that! It's more effective and actually less of a hassle to just remodel, retexture and reanimate the model, especially if they are as comparatively simple as the Dimensions models. That's actually the full-time job of the 2D and 3D and artists. They are not paid to sit around twiddling their thumbs all day and once in a while push that magical downgrade button.
On top of that you can clearly see they are new models, because they often wear completely new costumes and different hair styles. You don't just go with a virtual comb through a character's hair and the hairstyle is different. It has to be designed, modelled and textured completely anew. That's not the same model.
The liberal reuse of character models from one generation to the next has also not been a big thing prior to this generation where the visual payoff gets smaller and smaller. The jumps in what you could do more with character models were significantly higher and artists and designers did make proper use of that. Hell, back then they even significantly improved models from one game to the next within the same generation. Team Ninja especially was/is famed within the business for their highly detailed and advanced models.

Pn33milan

I'm ok woth doa's graphics evolution.
If they had wanted a 3d anime-sttle game, they would have followed the tales of series' style, for example.

I like they try to have some kind of realistic graphics, with anime types of details (purple hair, archetypes for characters...)

TheHunterKiller692

I'm wondering... do any of you guys miss the anime style old games had?

For me, I think they did a really good job with 5 and it's style change.Some characters look better and more alive now like Eliot than they did back then, which is a plus for a game where the character design is a important part (after all, we're one of the few fighting game fanbases where we can participate with our own character designs to become DLC, such as the halloween contests we've had for DOA5).
Well said. Most anime-ish games are either going to look like shit or they're incredibly niche. At this point, Source and Unreal paved the way for superior graphics that only a realistic art style can achieve.

Argentus

TBH I just kinda wish DOA had kept the anime style, but gone all in with cel shading and stuff, rather than trying to go for "realism".

Rob

Premium Donor
I liked old Tina.

Man what was so great about old DOA era is it had such a VIBE and aesthetic to it and the music of course (outside Aeroshit)

Completely lost in DOA5 and DOA6. Do prefer how the models look in DOA5, don't care much for that anime doll look.

1711853772725.jpeg

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The only thing I wish they retained from older DOA games was the volume and length of the hair. Kasumi, Leifang, Kokoro, and even Hitomi used to have such vivid and beautiful hair back then although in DOA4 the wind effects definitely made them look like paper streams at times, even Ayane had longer hair and it was so expressive, and Helena's ponytail used to go to her knees nearly.

DOA5 definitely did the girls dirty since their loose hair became shorter and thinner, DOA6 got it somehwat corrected since they reduced how transparent the hair was and added more weight to it but it definitely still was gimped. Kula definitely is what the standard for DOA hair should be moving forward

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD