DOA: Prototype Discussion

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor

IMG_0700watermark.jpg

The sketch on the bottom right reminds me of Leon.

Kronin

I agree with Reurn of the Shadow about the Leon's ancestor; instead just to me the girl near the number 3 remembers the new entry Mila?

I found awesome like Team Ninja has never completely forgotten his previous ideas about the character even after 16 years!

sim

Good info!
What are these pictures in the book scan?
Is there such an artbook of DOA concepts? Any name of reference?

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Good info!
What are these pictures in the book scan?
Is there such an artbook of DOA concepts? Any name of reference?
I mention the book that these particular scans are from here:
I've scanned all of the concept art found in the Video Game Magazine Gamest Mook Vol. 57 - Dead or Alive, which is a guide for the original arcade version of Dead or Alive. It even includes frame data for the arcade version of the game! How nuts is that?

There's another book called Dead or Alive History -Team Ninja Freaks- that has some concept art as well that may be of interest to you. I think the concept art I posted here already is far more interesting though.

Vorsic

I agree with Reurn of the Shadow about the Leon's ancestor; instead just to me the girl near the number 3 remembers the new entry Mila?

I found awesome like Team Ninja has never completely forgotten his previous ideas about the character even after 16 years!
It does remind me of Mila although according to the text 1,2, and 3 are all early versions of Tina. She looked way more serious back then.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Found these a few months back
Nice! Loving the nostalgia of 90s gaming mags too. Thanks for this! Lots of "new" old screens (looks like one of Tina's throws used to be Kerry's!). Love this kind of stuff! And there it is! Higher res proof that Bayman didn't have his trademark berret initially, just like in the concept art! Take that @Mr. Wah. >=P

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Nice! Loving the nostalgia of 90s gaming mags too. Thanks for this! Lots of "new" old screens (looks like one of Tina's throws used to be Kerry's!). Love this kind of stuff! And there it is! Higher res proof that Bayman didn't have his trademark berret initially, just like in the concept art! Take that @Mr. Wah. >=P

Itagaki explained Kelly in a facebook post. @Gill Hustle might remember what he had to say.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Itagaki explained Kelly in a facebook post. @Gill Hustle might remember what he had to say.
Regarding Kelly, the text here says:
キャラクター が ジャン · リー と かぶる こと と 某社 の キャラクター に 似 て いる と いう こと から 、 今 の ザック に 取っ て 代わら れ た キャラ 、 ケリー.
Kyarakutā ga Jan· rī to kaburu koto to bōsha no kyarakutā ni nite iru to iu koto kara, ima no zakku ni totte kawara reta kyara, keri.
Google Translate: "Since it is referred to as a character is similar to that and certain company of characters wear and Jann Lee, a character that has been superseded by now of Zach, Kelly."
Basically what we've known, too similar in gameplay and design to Jann Lee; replaced by Zack.

The other texts are interesting:

ケンジ かつて の 主役候補 の ひとり 。 でも かすみ ちゃん に は かなわ なかっ た ! ?
Kenji katsute no shuyaku kōho no hitori. Demo Kasumi-chan ni wa kanawanakatta! ?
Google Translate: Kenji former one of the leading role candidate. But it was no match for the Kasumi-chan!?

会社 に 入り た て の 頃描い た 、 今 で は 見せる の も 恥ずかしい イラスト 。 この 頃 は 痩せ て い て まんま ヴォル 〇 八 〇 です ね 。
Kaisha ni iritate no koro kaita, imade wa miseru no mo hazukashī irasuto. Kono koro wa yasete ite manma vu~oru O hachi reidesu ne.
Google Translate: Painted around the time of to have entered the company, embarrassing illustrations even the show by now. It is the state as it Vaulx-en Yes eighty to have skinny these days.

この 絵 を 見せ て 、 ザック が 画面 に 出 る まで は かなり リー ダー と もめ まし た が 今 で は 登場 さ せ て 良 かっ た と 言っ て く れ て い ます
Kono e o misete, zakku ga gamen ni de ru made wa kanari rī dā to momemashitaga imade wa tōjō sa sete yo katta to itte ku rete imasu
Google Translate: Show me this picture, until Zach is Ru out to the screen, it has been going to say that I've dispute with fairly leaders bought yo is made to appear by now

たった 1 日 だけ 画面 に 出 た 、 未来忍者 ハヤブサ 2P。
I went on a screen only a single day, the future Ninja falcon 2P.
Google Translate: I went on a screen only a single day, the future Ninja Hayabusa 2P.

Maybe someone with a decent grasp of the Japanese language could give a proper translation? It's beyond me. There's also a five page interview with the original Team Ninja in this same guide for the arcade build of DOA1. I would love to be able to read it.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
You're right! I completely missed this!
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/02/tomonobu-itagaki-on-dead-or-alive-characters-original-names/
https://www.facebook.com/tomonobu.i...s=13&comment_tracking={"tn":"R0"}&pnref=story

GATSBY -> BAYMAN
Who called that? grap3fruitman! Three years ago! ;D

I really should dig into the game some more. Not much of a tech-head unfortunately.

I'm late to the party but "characters" 1, 2, and 3 are in fact just different early designs for Tina per the text. At the bottom of the page is a futuristic alternate outfit for Hayabusa that was only in the game for a single day before being removed. Blond Jann Lee is their first design for an alternate (2P) outfit. The text next to the Bayman artwork says something to the effect that they're embarrassed to show it even now because it was a scribble they made as soon as they entered the company, they would never ever make Bayman so skinny again!

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
How do we know that's Kelly's out? Look closely at the poster everyone else is looking at the 30 second mark:

Enhance!

Out of the six characters there, no one resembling Kelly or Zack is present. However, there still appears to be an unusual character in between Kasumi, Lei Fang and Jann Lee.

Here's a recreation of the poster that should make things a little easier to identify:
I thought for a second that it may have been Hayabusa but it didn't quite match up. You know who it more closely resembles?

I'm kind of speculating that perhaps Raidou wasn't originally intended to be the final boss but just a regular character.​
I was browsing DOA eBay auctions (like I often do) and I came across a nice piece of artwork for the original game and it has a glimpse of the final version of this poster! Who wants to play spot the differences like in Highlights?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

DEAD_OR_ALIVE-1.flv_snapshot_00.29_[2012.12.29_21.55.28].jpg

mizking

You did mention earlier that it was supposed to be Raidou. I also saw another DOA1 flyer where Zack has red hair and Kasumi has yet another prototype version of her blue costume, but It's closer to the one we have currently.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD