DOA3++ Balance/Gameplay Mod

Gultigargar

I'm doing the same thing on my end, and it works for me. Maybe try removing the "." from "1.20d"? It could be making the program think it's a ".20d.afp" file. All I can really think of off the top of my head, sorry. If it still doesn't work I'll upload the individual files for you.

Gultigargar

New update: v1.21

While messing with animation speeds, I discovered that the speed modifier we've been using doesn't work quite like we thought it did. (Why and how exactly is a little complicated, but my guess is that it might have to do with keyframe placements on the animation.) Because of this I went back and tweaked moves with adjusted animation speeds to make them match the frames they were intended to have. The updated frames are on the front page.

I've implemented the wall splat changes to Christie's 4F+K and BT P+K. Basically they have been swapped: 4F+K now splats on CH, and BT P+K no longer splats.

Hayate's 4P+K was pretty slow in DOA3, and it was made i24 in future games, so I've changed it's startup speed from i29 to i24.

Adjusted the startup speed of Zack's PP2K and 2KP2K. From DOA4 forward, the animation of the kick is i10. However, before the kick animation starts he goes through 7 frames of what seems to be his ducking stance. That means the move is actually i17 in practice. The old i10 startup actually made it so you could only block the kick by holding down - blocking with 2F didn't work because you could not duck fast enough. To fix this, the startup speed of PP2K has been changed to i17, and 2KP2K to i16. (For some strange reason the two moves have different lengths when using the animation speed modifier, even though they use the exact same animation.)

Matt: I've been trying some stuff with tag throws, but they unfortunately don't function the way I hoped they would, so for now they remain the same. I'm afraid it's another thing that's probably controlled in the Default.xbe, not in the character .bin.

EDIT: Download link has been updated. The logo and credits sprite images were not being imported correctly, so if you want them you will have to manually import them using GreedXplorer for now.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

New credits/info screen using the ingame font, courtesy of Matt Ponton:
sprite#03_000-A8s-1.jpg

Gultigargar

New update: v1.21a

-Bass's 4F+P changed from being i6 frames back to being i5 frames.
-Tweaked Jann Lee's 4P+K to improve look and gamefeel. Animation speed is faster, but the animation ends later, meaning the total length is still 46 frames. (Previously the animation would end early, making him "snap" into his idle stance, which didn't look so great.)
-Imported Brad Wong's shorter BT Lying 6 animation from DOA4 (instead of playing the DOA3 animation at increased speed).
-Changed input of Brad Wong's BT Lying 6.K to BT Lying P+K.
-Brad Wong's 2F+P can no longer be teched, to prevent it from being punishable on hit. (This change was present in previous versions, I had just forgotten to document that it had been done.) Also fixed an issue that prevented the last bit of damage from registering.
-Fixed an oversight with Zack's 2KPKKKK not having the same stun as the other gatling kick enders.
-Lowered launch height on Zack's 236K/PP6K on CH. (Could previously combo after, which was not intended.)
-Bayman's 1P/PP2P now cause a trip stun on NH.

Last edited:

Tina2040_

There aren't any such programs on Mac as far as I know. I can privately send you a link to directly download an already modded loadfile.afs you can use, just be forewarned that it's a big file to download, more than 400 MB.

As for Helena's 66PK, that sounds fair. I've never really had major issues with the move, but I don't mind making it more consistent. Messing with juggle height also means she'll be able to connect it in some spots where she couldn't before and light-weights and on mid-weights at the wall if you input the moves fast enough.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I push out another update?

Can you message me this too? I've sent you a PM. I'm not on Windows atm and would love to try :)

Gultigargar

I got charge attacks modifications to work, so here's one more update.

Christie, Hayabusa and Gen Fu's charge attacks outclassed most of the others in the game by having generally much faster startup both when charging and releasing. In future games the charge attacks of other characters were improved with similar faster animations to make them feel more responsive.

Ein, Hitomi and Zack now have their updated 4P+K charge attacks from future games, which have faster startup and release. Because the max charge damage is hard-coded to how many frames you spend charging, the max damage has gone down a little for all of them since the animations are shorter and thus spend less time charging.

Zack now also has his updated 3P+K from future games, which recovers 5 frames faster than his DOA3 version. This means he can now get a PP6PK combo in on CH, instead of how he previously had to use 6KK, where the 2nd kick could easily whiff. Damage lowered to 32.

Gen Fu's 3P+K changed to -7 on block.

Last edited:

Tina2040_

May I request Tina's :8::P: (Blazing Chop) from DOA4 onwards to be added? Preferably it leading to a stun on counter hit (is that how it works) ? It's a nice set up for her pp etc strings. and especially her front roll kick. It's a nice move to take heat off of yourself and change the pace of the battle if caught up.
And if possible, Tina's overhead toss? It's a back-turned throw. It was introduced in DOA4 onwards.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

She already has her 8P in DOA3, she's had it since DOA2.

Adding moves is generally not possible, unless there happen to be some unused move-slots we can overwrite. For Tina's BT 8F+P to work, we would need 3 slots. (1 for the jump animation, 2 for the actual throw animation for Tina and the target.) On top of that, Tina (along with Jann Lee and Bayman) has almost no room to spare in her .bin file, so it is very unlikely there would be room for the animation properties/programming unless we remove some of her other throws to open up space.

But the thing is, even if we managed to find or make room for that throw, we would still be unable to make the game consider it a catch throw. (Which throws are catch throws seems to be hard-coded.) And I don't think an i29 throw is any good if it's not a catch throw.

So yeah, in general, adding throws is not really something I can do, sorry.

EDIT: Regarding the logo, do you have a version without the drop-shadow? The game has the logo and the drop-shadow as two separate sprites.

Tina2040_

She already has her 8P in DOA3, she's had it since DOA2.

Adding moves is generally not possible, unless there happen to be some unused move-slots we can overwrite. For Tina's BT 8F+P to work, we would need 3 slots. (1 for the jump animation, 2 for the actual throw animation for Tina and the target.) On top of that, Tina (along with Jann Lee and Bayman) has almost no room to spare in her .bin file, so it is very unlikely there would be room for the animation properties/programming unless we remove some of her other throws to open up space.

But the thing is, even if we managed to find or make room for that throw, we would still be unable to make the game consider it a catch throw. (Which throws are catch throws seems to be hard-coded.) And I don't think an i29 throw is any good if it's not a catch throw.

So yeah, in general, adding throws is not really something I can do, sorry.

EDIT: Regarding the logo, do you have a version without the drop-shadow? The game has the logo and the drop-shadow as two separate sprites.

No need to apologise. Thanks for the at-depth talk about what's possible :)

Here, three variations. One flat and one with bezel and a flat gold variant.. I have the .PSD if you'd prefer too.

I'm currently exploring texture swapping in stages. I'm starting with the Octagon since it's the easiest. The ways in which the .dds are used is similar to DOA5 which I've modded in the past, so I'm hoping the results will be similar. A lot of the lighting and atmosphere is pulled from the DDS files...

Attachments

• bezel.png
    bezel.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 179
  • flat.png
    flat.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 198
  • flat gold.png
    flat gold.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

@dee4doa some old notes I wrote down while experimenting with DOA3 via emu, might be useful. It's easy enough with the emu (just find the address with CE and freeze it on character select screen) but idk on a real Xbox
Code:
DOA3 character ID
0    Zack
1    Tina
2    Jann Lee
3    Ein
4    Hayabusa
5    Kasumi
6    Gen Fu
7    Helena
8    Leon
9    Bass
10    *incomplete Helena
11    Hayate
12    Leifang
13    Ayane
14    Hitomi
15    *incomplete Kasumi
16    *incomplete Helena
17    *incomplete Tengu (no COM levels)
18    *Omega
19    Brad Wong
20    Christie
21    *incomplete Kasumi (intro dialogue)
22    *incomplete Kasumi (intro dialogue)
23    *incomplete Brad Wong  (super broken, intro Gen Fu, damage only with throws, super fast free step)
24    Bayman
25    *crash
253    *crash
254    *random
255    *random

DOA3 stage ID
0**    empty black infinite with horizontal wind
1**    empty black infinite
2**    empty black infinite with timed vertical wind (stage transition jump effect?)
50**    infinite checkerboard map with repeating texture
51**    WALL TEST
52    Lorelei
53    DOATEC HK
54    Lost World
55    Ice Cave
56    BEACH (EVENING)
57*    Azuchi lower floor dark (Story Genra transition map?)
58    Forest
59    Iron Hell
60*    DOATEC HK street
61    Danger Zone
62    Pancratium
63    Azuchi
64*    Lost World first spawn
65    X Octagon
66**    spiral staircase in Lorelei (Helena/Christie story)
67*    Azuchi roofs
68    Snow
69**    infinite checkerboard stage with non-repeating texture
70    Tao
71    BEACH (DAY)
72    Aqua Palace
73**    boss stage
74**    THROUGH FIRE AND FLAMES LUL
75**    Azuchi lower dark
255**    yellow lighting

*    transition only
**    not selectable

SOME FOOTAGE
Omega has an intro: https://streamable.com/23obn
boss stage: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/454741008840785942/525243871526125571/2018-12-20_10_30_24.png
boss stage respawn position: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/454741008840785942/525244819208142848/2018-12-20_10_34_54.png
Omega -> Leifang bodyswap: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/454741008840785942/525250604411518986/2018-12-20_10_56_41.png
unused Omega victory lines?

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
In regards to the new logo, there are some extra slots in the .afs file where a smaller version of the logo is used during the "Watch Mode" (where you watch two AI characters fight with an action camera) that aren't in the download package.

sprite#04_005
sprite#04_006

I don't know if these were forgotten, or were just ignored since they aren't particularly important, but I figured I'd bring it up just in case.

Gultigargar

In regards to the new logo, there are some extra slots in the .afs file where a smaller version of the logo is used during the "Watch Mode" (where you watch two AI characters fight with an action camera) that aren't in the download package.

sprite#04_005
sprite#04_006

I don't know if these were forgotten, or were just ignored since they aren't particularly important, but I figured I'd bring it up just in case.
I didn't forget them, I just couldn't think of a good way to label the files. They are identical to sprite#01_008 and sprite#01_009, so you're meant to just re-use those.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Yeah, you're right. I knew this before actually, but my dumb ass was using the wrong files without realizing it, so it wasn't working and I was questioning what I thought I already knew. Whoops. I ended up sorting it out.

Anyway, the new logo looks nice (though I also liked the old one anyway).

That's neat. Genra's stage becoming playable would be cool for the novelty of it, but I don't think it'd be a particularly interesting stage to play on.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Would be cool if we got to a point where we could import an entire character and use some of those "incomplete" slots to select them.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD