DOA3++ Balance/Gameplay Mod

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'm trying not to spam the thread with updates, but this recent one has some kind of major changes in it that I don't want to just stealth update.

Is this some version you haven't posted yet? Because your changes aren't in the latest version i pulled down.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Another minor negative I've noticed about separating the mid holds is that it's now impossible to set the AI to hold mid kicks in training. There's no distinction between the two in the AI settings, so you can only set it to "hold mid", which only allows them to hold mid punches. But since the training mode in this game is pretty awful anyway, this isn't a major issue.

I'm glad to hear about that change to Bayman's 236P. The previous version never felt right. Hitbox seemed off because it'd usually just whiff. Also, the DOA4 idle animation is a nice touch.

Leon's new 66K is great. Major improvement over that awkward low kick he had in vanilla. And I'm glad I brought up his 33P in that stream because this new buff is glorious. It's even safe too (it was -11 in DOA5)!

Speaking of Leon though, what does everyone think about Leon getting his 3PK/66PPK attack? He had this in DOA5 (and in DOA4/DOAD too, I think). He mixes up the normal mid punch (3PP/66PPP) with a mid kick instead. It's the same animation as his 9K punt. I like the animation and it'd be nice to have it, but it was never super useful in the first place anyway, so... I don't know. It did the "flipping over in the air" thing when used in juggles and knocked back when it hit a standing opponent.

Gultigargar

Regarding Leon's 3PK and 66PPK, adding strings is a huge pain* and eats up a lot of available space very quickly, so I'm generally avoiding them unless it's a game-changer for the character.
*Need a bunch of space to define the new input. If a string version of the animation does not exist a bunch of space needs to be set aside for that, with stuff like correct open/closed stance switching in mind. Need an available move slot with the right wall splat properties, if you override an existing one that might as well share a slot with something identical (e.g. zack's PP6P2K and 2KP6P2K, identical moves, but have separate slots) you need to merge the two old slots properly and set up the new one correctly. It's a nightmare to keep track of. (Also just getting it working is weird. Adding the new hold inputs worked fine, but when I try to add 4P2P as a string for Helena it seems to not register it.)

EDIT: Small update, by the way. 1.20b, link is the same one as always, can be found on the front page as well.
-Currently have found no issues with the DOA2U hold inputs, so they have been integrated into the mod proper now.
-Raised Ein/Hitomi's F+K/6F+K damage back up a little. (Previous damage reduction felt a little too much.)
-Lowered Brad Wong and Christie's K damage by 1 point so that KK does not cross the damage threshold on counterhit, allowing KKK to connect.
-Brad Wong's BT F+K first hit has had it's juggle animation (NOT height) changed to allow the second hit to connect more easily. (Previously you'd need to be next to a wall, basically.)
-Tina's 66PPK now does a small knockback in the air, to aesthetically match how it does on the ground.
-Zack's 3P+K now enters a crouching state during startup, making the move crush high attacks. Damage lowered from 40 to 36 to compensate a little and make fit in with similar moves like Hayate's 3P+K and Leifang's 2P+K.
-Added a new taunt for Kasumi stitched together from an unused voice clip combined with one of her win poses.
-Cleaned up the logo a bit.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

make Jann Lee 1P+K usable by speeding it up like DOA5/DOA6, makes the character more fun
Done! I've imported the DOA4 version of the animaton, which basically just shaves off the first 5 frames. In other words, the animation has gone from 55 to 50 frames, with the jump starting sooner. On top of that, I've increased the animation speed to 110%. This means the animation length goes down further from 50 frames to about 45-46 frames. (About the same length as Ryu's 7P backflip from DOA2U, for reference.)

Last edited:

Gultigargar

Another update: I've wanted to give Zack his DOA4 gatling kicks ever since I learned how to update animations. However, DOA4's animation files are huge, and with that many animations there was basically no way he'd have room for all of them. However, as I recently discovered, DOA Dimensions has the same animations, but heavily compressed to fit in the 3DS's memory. This means that there was suddenly room to import them after all!

Still working on typing out a full changelog, but basically it means that the kicks no longer have an absurd amount of recovery, making the strings a lot more useful. They've also generally become a bit safer on block, though still throw punishable; Opponent just has to be more on the ball if they want to get the punish.

EDIT: Also added Bass's DOA4 3KK/PKK and fixed an issue with Kasumi's 6P+K/Running P

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Just a head's up for the next time you release a new .rar. The current pack has two copies of the sprite#03 file. One for version 1.20 and one for version 1.20b. Looks like the new copy was spelled with a typo, so the old one wasn't overwritten when you repacked the files (I'm guessing).

Also, something random I noticed. When messing around with this game on the emulator, I was playing survival and witnessed an AI-specific string being used by Leon. It was his original 66k (the low) transitioning into the new mid. Was that always an AI string in DOA3? Is that how the mid kick was discovered? I've never noticed it until now, so I was just curious if that somehow got caused by the mod.

Not asking for this string be usable, by the way. I think the new 66K by itself is much better.

Gultigargar

Just a head's up for the next time you release a new .rar. The current pack has two copies of the sprite#03 file. One for version 1.20 and one for version 1.20b. Looks like the new copy was spelled with a typo, so the old one wasn't overwritten when you repacked the files (I'm guessing).

Also, something random I noticed. When messing around with this game on the emulator, I was playing survival and witnessed an AI-specific string being used by Leon. It was his original 66k (the low) transitioning into the new mid. Was that always an AI string in DOA3? Is that how the mid kick was discovered? I've never noticed it until now, so I was just curious if that somehow got caused by the mod.

Not asking for this string be usable, by the way. I think the new 66K by itself is much better.
Thanks for that, I'll fix the sprite#03 issue.

Leon can do that because the AI doesn't really input moves, they just sort of play them from their list of moves. I replaced his 66KK animation with the new one (it had the proper wall-splat properties) and made 66K the input for the move. AI doesn't use inputs, so it can still use the old string.

Gultigargar

Updated to version 1.20c, with some updates that were discussed in Matt's stream last night.

-Hayate's P+K is now -5 on block, 32 damage, and causes sitdown stun on normal hit.
-Fixed issues with his 66KK and 66KKK having incorrect block-stun.

-Tina's 6PPK now juggles instead of flipping the opponent in the air, making an air throw follow-up possible. That being said, I believe her 6PPP guarantees a ground throw, and is therefore the more damaging option.

-Looked into Christie's BT P+K wall-splat. She had an unused front-facing version of the move whose move-slot I had hoped I could use (unused moves tend to not have any wall properties), but the move turned out to have the same wall-splat properties as BT P+K. Right now the move is unchanged, but I'm considering "swapping" 4F+K and BT P+K so that 4F+K will wall-splat on CH, but BT P+K will not.
EDIT: Here's a version where the wall properties of her 4F+K and Bt P+K have been swapped, if anyone wants to test it. Mainly need to look out for if the tracking of the moves feel off, since there's a chance that's hardcoded too.
-Changed her PPPPP to flip over in the air, same as it does in DOA4/DOAD.

-I tried increasing the size of Kasumi's PP6PP hitbox to allow for better juggling, but even with the largest ones available the move still tends to whiff unless you're already high up in the air. I've experimented with adjusting the juggle height from PP6P, but doing so will end up messing with PP6PK2K, and I think it's important that move works as intended.
She still has PPPK if you want a long knockback juggle string, and it's only something like 1 or 2 points of damage lower than her old PP6PP, and it hits more consistently.

I will be fiddling with Christie and Kasumi a bit more and see what I can do.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If it's possible, could we get the tag mode fixed so that neutral throws do their normal neutral throws and the old :6::6::F+P+K: does the tag throw?

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Looks like ASFExplorer is an exe file. Is there a way to put the mod on an OG Xbox for Mac users?

As for balance ideas, I'd love to see the float on the :K: of Helena's :6::6::P::K::P: be increased just a little bit so the string is more consistent as a juggle ender. As it is, even the tiniest of slopes can cause opponents to fall out which makes levels like Pancratium or Beach an adventure.

Gultigargar

Looks like ASFExplorer is an exe file. Is there a way to put the mod on an OG Xbox for Mac users?

As for balance ideas, I'd love to see the float on the :K: of Helena's :6::6::P::K::P: be increased just a little bit so the string is more consistent as a juggle ender. As it is, even the tiniest of slopes can cause opponents to fall out which makes levels like Pancratium or Beach an adventure.
There aren't any such programs on Mac as far as I know. I can privately send you a link to directly download an already modded loadfile.afs you can use, just be forewarned that it's a big file to download, more than 400 MB.

As for Helena's 66PK, that sounds fair. I've never really had major issues with the move, but I don't mind making it more consistent. Messing with juggle height also means she'll be able to connect it in some spots where she couldn't before and light-weights and on mid-weights at the wall if you input the moves fast enough.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I push out another update?

Gultigargar

New patch 1.20d.

Helena's 66PK has had its juggle height increased slightly.
Zack's 3KKKKK/6PKKKK/PPKKKK/2KPKKKK now gives a stomach stun on hit. (The old invulnerable limbo stun didn't feel right now that he recovers so much faster.)
An issue with Hayate's new 66KKK animations has been fixed.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Am I doing something wrong with applying the patch via AFSExplorer? Here's what I'm doing:

1. Launch AFSExplorer and import loadfile.afs.
2. Select Advanced > Import patch... > DOA3pp-1.20d.afp.
3. "Are you sure you want to load it?" > Yes.
4. "Do you want to load another AFP patch?" > No.

Then a window opens with the options Patch!, Select All and Deselect All, with a file list that just says "No applicable files found." The Patch! button cannot be selected (it's greyed out) and the Select/Deselect All buttons do nothing. The only option I have here is to close the window.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD