DOA3++ Balance/Gameplay Mod

Gultigargar

Updated to v1.21c, which is mostly just some minor tweaks and fixes.

-Christie's DOA4 PPK animation has been imported, changing the attack from i14 to i12.
-Hayate's 4P+K has been changed from i24 to i25. I initially put is as i24 because that is what the DOA4 and DOAD official frame data lists it as, but actually counting the frames showed that this was not accurate.
-Leifang's DOA4 3P+K animation has been imported (input is 4P in DOA4). Frame data is unchanged, but the animation has her ducking slightly which lets her avoid attacks if the hitbox is high up enough.
-Fixed a minor issue with Kasumi's tag version of 6P+K.
-Fixed a minor issue with Ein's tag version of 46K.
-Fixed the tracking of Leon's 9P to match Bayman's 9P. (Would previously track for the entire startup of the animation.)
-Tweaked the DOA3++ logo slightly.

william

Updated to v1.21c, which is mostly just some minor tweaks and fixes.

-Christie's DOA4 PPK animation has been imported, changing the attack from i14 to i12.
-Hayate's 4P+K has been changed from i24 to i25. I initially put is as i24 because that is what the DOA4 and DOAD official frame data lists it as, but actually counting the frames showed that this was not accurate.
-Leifang's DOA4 3P+K animation has been imported (input is 4P in DOA4). Frame data is unchanged, but the animation has her ducking slightly which lets her avoid attacks if the hitbox is high up enough.
-Fixed a minor issue with Kasumi's tag version of 6P+K.
-Fixed a minor issue with Ein's tag version of 46K.
-Fixed the tracking of Leon's 9P to match Bayman's 9P. (Would previously track for the entire startup of the animation.)
-Tweaked the DOA3++ logo slightly.

Hey ! Tested out your patch yesterday and loved the changes. However it seems characters can't use their jumping kick hold animation. For instance Leon and Leifang, if i go to exercise mode and try to hold a jumping kick they just do the default "going in opponent's back" animation instead of their specific hold animation. I don't know if that's clear sorry, just wanted to point that out in case you didn't know or something. Thanks again tho been having a lot of fun :)

Gultigargar

Hi william, thanks for stopping by to report that. I was already aware of it, it's just that it is something that might not be fixable. Jump holds seem to only activate properly when using specific, designated move-slots, and since mid-p and mid-k have been split into different slots, we can only have one or the other.
Bayman and Leifang can still get their jump kick hold animations when using advanced holds, but the rest have to make do with the divert animation.

FakeSypha

This project seems quite interesting. At least, more interesting than DOA6 for sure, lol. However, before I even attempt to try it out I have a couple of questions:

1)Will this mod work on a flashed Xbox 360? I believe this would be much easier on a JTAG or RGH console.
2) The base DOA3 needed in order to replace the files needs to be DOA3.0, 3.1, or 3.2? My Xbox 360 is NTSC-U, but I really don't know if region locking applies to OG Xbox games on Xbox 360.

Btw, congrats for all the effort put on it people!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
1)Will this mod work on a flashed Xbox 360? I believe this would be much easier on a JTAG or RGH console.

If you can launch the default.xbe file then it would function as if you're booting the original.

2) The base DOA3 needed in order to replace the files needs to be DOA3.0, 3.1, or 3.2? My Xbox 360 is NTSC-U, but I really don't know if region locking applies to OG Xbox games on Xbox 360.

Unfortunately, if you make the changes to the loadfile.afs and attempt to run on a US default.xbe then you will experience crashes at some point due to the extreme differences between the versions. The base version this project was built off of was the Japanese version. The project is supposed to be downloadable/installable through Rocky5's Downloader application on the original xbox soon as well, and I don't know if he offers the application to be accessible separately from his XBMC4Gamers dashboard.

FakeSypha

If you can launch the default.xbe file then it would function as if you're booting the original.

Unfortunately, if you make the changes to the loadfile.afs and attempt to run on a US default.xbe then you will experience crashes at some point due to the extreme differences between the versions. The base version this project was built off of was the Japanese version. The project is supposed to be downloadable/installable through Rocky5's Downloader application on the original xbox soon as well, and I don't know if he offers the application to be accessible separately from his XBMC4Gamers dashboard.

Well, I only have DOA3.0 (USA version), and that I know it works on my Xbox 360 (NTSC-U). I could try and find a copy of DOA3.1 (JPN ver), but I'm not sure it would work because of region locking. I'll try to ask around. I'm pretty sure anyone here on the site owns a japanese version of DOA3 and an American Xbox 360 to test it out. If it does work, once I have the game, I'd have to rip it to the pc, then extract and replace loadfile.afs. I'm not very familiar with making OG Xbox backups work on X360. But what the hell, at worst I'll throw away a couple of blank dvds trying.

Damn, If the original Xbox was more popular here I could just buy one used and be done with it. They're a bit rare down here (Argentina).

Thanks for the info Matt.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yes, you need to have a modded xbox or xbox 360 to play the other regions' games, including the update here.

FakeSypha

Whelp, I'm out of luck then. I had a RGH'd system but died last year. I only have a X360 E (stock, unmodded) and a Fat with flashed DVD drive. None of them is capable of running unsigned code.
In any case, I googled around and found out burning backups of OG Xbox games and make them work on X360 is a pain in the ass. Even If region lock wasn't an issue, I don't think it would be possible.

ok.jpg

Gultigargar

New update, v1.22 https://www.mediafire.com/file/7qq3katfmte7gws/DOA3pp-1_22.rar/file

-Updated logo once again, this time based on a high resolution scan.
-Added a custom thumbnail, default.tbr, which you can drop into the game's folder if you want to use it.

-1st hit of Christie's 6F+K changed to a lift stun, same as in future games. Previously used short high side stun, which could push the opponent far enough away that the 2nd hit would not connect.
-Tina Jump K and Running K, and Bass's F+K now cause short knockback to target's in the air. (This is to keep them consistent with other drop-kicks that do the same.)
-Zack's 236K and PP6K changed from mini-launch to Leifang's 64P faint stun, which makes the follow-up strike(s) a natural combo. This means he can now get wall-splats instead of wall knockdowns because the target is no longer in an air state when hitting the wall.
-Leifang's 4PP and PP4PP changed from lift stun to stomach stun.
-Leon's knee P6PK no longer wall-splats, same as in future games.

EDIT: @Matt Ponton Whoops, you're right. It had been so long that I got them mixed up when I exported them. It has now been fixed.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
New update, v1.22 https://www.mediafire.com/file/7qq3katfmte7gws/DOA3pp-1_22.rar/file

-Updated logo once again, this time based on a high resolution scan.
-Added a custom thumbnail, default.tbr, which you can drop into the game's folder if you want to use it.

-1st hit of Christie's 6F+K changed to a lift stun, same as in future games. Previously used short high side stun, which could push the opponent far enough away that the 2nd hit would not connect.
-Tina Jump K and Running K, and Bass's F+K now cause short knockback to target's in the air. (This is to keep them consistent with other drop-kicks that do the same.)
-Zack's 236K and PP6K changed from mini-launch to Leifang's 64P faint stun, which makes the follow-up strike(s) a natural combo. This means he can now get wall-splats instead of wall knockdowns because the target is no longer in an air state when hitting the wall.
-Leifang's 4PP and PP4PP changed from lift stun to stomach stun.
-Leon's knee P6PK no longer wall-splats, same as in future games.

It seemed like the Sprite 8/9 and 12/13 are switched and I had to replace 8 with 12 and 9 with 13 for example :(

Tina2040_

Discovered that it was possible to open up some move-slots for basically every character, as well as break the file-size limit. Here's a preview of the next big update:
(I'm still testing and deliberating what else to import, so no download yet.)

Amazing work! Looking forward to using Tina.

How about Saddle Crash from DOA4? :7::P::P::P:

Does this mean you can also add critical stuns to moves now?

This is a big discovery! Can't wait to see the future.

Gultigargar

Amazing work! Looking forward to using Tina.

How about Saddle Crash from DOA4? :7::P::P::P:

Does this mean you can also add critical stuns to moves now?

This is a big discovery! Can't wait to see the future.
Changing stuns was possible from the beginning, and has been done on a few moves already.

I always got the impression that Tina's 7PPP was kind of gimmick-y and not that useful. Am I wrong about that? I'd prefer to prioritize essential moves that improves the character's game overall, rather than, for example, the alternate attack option out of Bass's 2P+K "stance" for weird mixup you'd probably never do anyway.

If you still want it, I was thinking maybe it could work if we do it as her 7P going straight into the 7PPP ender, so it's a 2-move string instead?

Tina2040_

Changing stuns was possible from the beginning, and has been done on a few moves already.

I always got the impression that Tina's 7PPP was kind of gimmick-y and not that useful. Am I wrong about that? I'd prefer to prioritize essential moves that improves the character's game overall, rather than, for example, the alternate attack option out of Bass's 2P+K "stance" for weird mixup you'd probably never do anyway.

If you still want it, I was thinking maybe it could work if we do it as her 7P going straight into the 7PPP ender, so it's a 2-move string instead?

Yeah that works better. the 7PPP was pretty useful in DOA when it lead to a fatal stun, but you're right in it having no use in DOA3.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

How'd you manage that?
The method I've been using goes like this: Open up your .afs file with AFSExplorer, then select the file you want to replace and import the new one. If the new file exceeds the size limit, it will ask you to set reserved space for the file. Say yes. Then go to 'Advanced > Modify Reserved Space' and select 'Regenerate AFS. This will allow you to save a new, bigger copy of the .afs with the proper amount of space for the new file.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD